Topics739,865
Posts12,288,105
Members109,505
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
non-fishing CLASSIFIEDS
14 minutes ago
I am doing a little cleaning today. I have a full size air mattress that I don't need. I aired it up and it is holding air. I don't recall ever using it.

I also have one of those u-shaped bike locks with the round cylinder. Has key.

First come, first serve.
0 4 Read More
General Equipment Discussion
41 minutes ago
I have a lift on Joe Pool that was given to me so that was nice. One of the tanks has sprung a leak and both of them are pretty rusty. Wondering if anyone has any advice to replace the tanks. I'd at least like to save the rails and pump but as it's probably 20 years old, hard to know if that's possible. My neighbor passed away a year ago and so his widow gifted this to me as long as I'd pick up the payment on the slip. Life is by Boat Floater and I'll call them tomorrow,
0 9 Read More
Off Topic
51 minutes ago
It’s on Showtime. They debunk all the BS stuff out there.

Try it.
0 51 Read More
Rods & Reels
1 hour ago
Japanese Blue Azores Modified For American Anglers!

Okuma brought back the overseas edition of the Asian Azores Spinning Reel known as the Blue Azores. Not only does the Blue Azores match Okuma's new HCS "Hawaiian Custom Series" Rod releases but they have changed the sizing of these powerful spinners.

NEW AMERICAN SPOOL SIZING
Okuma Old Size Okuma New Size Gear Ratio Max Drag Rating
40 4000 5.8:1 28lbs
55 6000 5.8:1 29lbs
65 8000 5.4:1 44lbs
80 14000 5.4:1 44lbs

Model Gear Ratio Bearings Weight Line Ret Max Drag Mono Cap
Z-4K 5.8:1 6HPB + 1RB 12oz 35.8in 28lbs 300yd/8lb
BLUE 250yd/10lb
210yd/12lb

Z-40S 5.8:1 6HPB + 1RB 12oz 34.8in 28lbs 270yd/8lb
Original 190yd/10lb
170yd/12lb
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z-6000 5.8:1 6HPB + 1RB 18.5oz 41.2in 29lbs 310yd/12lb
H-Blue 215yd/16lb
180yd/20lb

Z-55S 5.8:1 6HPB + 1RB 18.6oz 39in 29lb 380yd/10lb
Original 340yd/12lb
240yd/15lb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new 8000 & 14000 sizes will be released soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modified Blue Azores For The American Market Will Have-
1) New Enlarged Gearing-
Thicker aluminum gears & teeth creates more torquing power.

2) Fully Machined Cut 2-Tone Anodized Drag Knob-
American & Japanese spool top drag knobs will differ.

3) DFD=Dual Force Drag System-
Equal numbers of carbon drag washers on top & bottom of spool
applies even pressure for a smooth powerful max drag pressure.

4) No Body Flexing With Die Cast Aluminum-
Thick aluminum handle and body won't flex under load.

5) Bearings Are Rubber Sealed & Packed With Grease.

6) Knurled Spool Design For Braid-
No tape is needed for spool line slippage.

7) MSRP Only $129.99-144.99 For All 4 Blue Azores Sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG3QCczigIg
0 5 Read More
Fly Tying
2 hours ago
Here is a simple tie for an already simple pattern... it's a Griffith's Gnat less the Peacock Herl. Mainly use this one as a trailing fly to a tandem rigged lead streamer like a Wooley Bugger or Near Deere.

It's fished wet but can be fished dry as well. Tends to do well when "bugs" are emerging have hatched but seem to have not made the final push to fly off... instead they sink and become food for hungry trout!

Recipe:
Size 14-18 dry fly hook
Black Dacron Tying Thread
Grizzly Hackle - long... at least 2" or more in length

No Herl Griffith's Gnat

0 9 Read More
Trading Post - Swap - Classifieds
2 hours ago
2 for $26 TYD or can meet local

[Linked Image]
0 42 Read More
plugs & announcements
3 hours ago
Spring is right around the corner and I have availability in February, March, April, and May.

$425 full day for 1-2 people
Additional $75 for 3rd person
$275 half day for 1-2 people
Additional $75 for 3rd person

Call now to book your trip!
You do not want to miss out on Spring Bass fishing on Lake Fork!
903-474-4990
email: jpriestfishing@yahoo.com[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
0 9 Read More
Boats & Motors
3 hours ago
PARTING OUT COMPLETE ENGINE. ALL PARTS ARE GOOD EXCEPT BLOCK HAS CRACK IN IT. LOOK UP PART/S YOU NEED ON CROWLEYMARINE.COM OR BOATS.NET TO LOOK P/N YOU NEED, I USE CROWLEY MARINE. THE X066 IS A 1999 MODEL V225TLRX. THERE ARE A LOT OF COMMON PARTS FOR X066'S FROM ABOUT 1997 THRU 2004, AND 200'S, 225'S, AND 250'S SHARE A LOT OF THE SAME PARTS AS WELL. LOOK UP YOUR MOTOR AND COMPARE TO SEE IF THE P/N IS THE SAME.

NOTE: I WILL BE SELLING SOME AS INDIVIDUAL PARTS AND SOME AS ASSEMBLIES. THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP AS A UNIT, ETC. MOST SENSORS AND SWITCHES (CRANK SENSOR, THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, THERMAL SWITCHES, ETC) WILL BE SOLD INDIVIDUALLY (THEY ARE ALL GOOD). LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMPS WERE NEW ABOUT SOMETIME IN 2016 AND WILL BE SOLD AS COMPLETE ASSY WITH ALL THE CONNECTING HOSES (THEY ARE ALL GOOD).

I ALSO HAVE A VENTED TUFF SKINZ COWLING COVER TO BE USED ALL THE TIME TOWING AND ON THE WATER.

*** TILT/TRIM IS SOLD ***
*** LOWER UNIT SOLD ***
*** O2 SENSOR AND HOUSING SOLD ***

SINCE THE MOTOR RAN FLAWLESSLY UNTIL THE WATER JACKET AND PISTON SLEEVE CRACKED, I KNOW EVERYTHING WAS IN WORKING ORDER.

CALL OR TEXT ME (LEAVE MESSAGE IF I DONT ANSWER): KENT 918-346-0597
0 10 Read More
Crappie Fishing
4 hours ago
Feb 16 at Potters Point
$40 entry for 3 fish stringer $300 first prize only
$10 big fish $50 prize

Excess proceeds benefit the Gray Potters Point Community Center.

Email me. Username at gmail and I will send you an entry form.
0 50 Read More
Trading Post - Swap - Classifieds
4 hours ago
PM's have priority over Posts. Paypal only.

25 Asst. Jigs plus 2 Jigheads - $35 TYD

Most are unused. A couple have weak skirt bands. Various types, sizes, and colors.

4 Football
5 Swim
13 Casting/Flipping
3 Wobble Head
2 Jigheads skirts fell off. Unused
0 75 Read More
non-fishing CLASSIFIEDS
4 hours ago
I have been processing my own meat now for about 3 years and this year I expanded my capabilities by buying larger equipment. So I’m offering up for sale the equipment that I no longer need.
First I have a #5 LEM .35 HP Grinder with 3 cutting heads and sausage stuffing tubes included. It is a. Sry good grinder and has served me well.
Second I have a clamp down Sausage Stuffer with all tubes included. I’ve got a bigger one now.
Third I have a 20 LB Meat Mixer tub that I have actually never used. I have been hand mixing so long that I just can’t change.
The Grinder I’m asking $200 and would be a little flexible on the package deal.
The Sausage Stuffer is $50.
The Meat Mixer Tub is $85.
I would take $300 for the package as long as the drive is short to meet or you pick up.
My name is Mitch and I live in Quinlan and would prefer FTF. My number is 903-217-3827 and thanks for looking. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
0 46 Read More
Freshwater Reports
16 hours ago
Anyone been out to Canyon lately? Any luck?
0 85 Read More
General Equipment Discussion
17 hours ago
I need a pump and transducer bracket welded on a pontoon boat. Any recommendations on someone who has experience doing this.
0 26 Read More
Open Freshwater Discussion
18 hours ago
Here is a local news broadcast detailing wave action washing on the highway 147 bridge over lake Sam Rayburn today.
KTRE News
0 150 Read More
Boats & Motors
19 hours ago
I need to repair or replace seats in 2000 Ranger 520. Located near Austin/San Antonio.
0 50 Read More
Partner Finder
20 hours ago
Hello my name is Karl im 43 and Live in Pearland i relocated here from Illinois. I fished for fun and lots of tournaments in the midwest. I am a skilled bass angler who no longer has a bass boat. I sold it for a ocean boat. i have been out on the ocean several times and have tied into some giant bull reds and trout this summer. I am looking to possibly join a bass club as a non boater or just go out and fish. I am able to share the cost also willing to tow if need be. i can operate a graph a trolling motor and read a map. My strengths are structure off shore stuff and punching grass. I have fished lake fork a number of times and caught my personal best there. i love to fish,bass,reds trout,strippers whatever i have no network here or fishing partners other than wife and kids.If anyone is interested in a day or weekend please let me know.
thank you.
Karl Carpenter.
KarlCarpenter@msn.com
0 41 Read More
non-fishing CLASSIFIEDS
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Selling my Leer truck cap off a 2018 Silverado with the standard 6.5' bed.
This cap has the lined interior, screens on the side windows that tilt out, sliding front window, Thule roof rails with crossbars.
Led interior lights, electronic locks locks and unlocks with the truck locks.
Less than 1 year old, near perfect condition 1 small scratch on back right corner.
Includes clamps and mounting hardware.

This cap cost over $3500 new.
Asking $2200 Local pickup in Sulphur Springs.
Call/text 903.348.4834
0 62 Read More
Inshore Fishing
Yesterday at 08:42 PM
WE surf fish Bolivar/High island around September with good success. When is actual season? Maybe Im missing a good time. March-November? I went with a guide out of port o conner before who said the bull reds really stack up in the fall. Curious when bolivar heats up.
0 36 Read More
Videos
Yesterday at 05:31 PM
0 13 Read More
Open Saltwater Discussion
Yesterday at 05:22 PM
I’ve been studying my surf casting demons and possible solutions since my last trip to the beach at Sargent in November. And now wish to share my learnings and recent testing at Matagorda Beach.

I’ve fished the surf one or two days a month for the past 20-months using 40-pound PowerPro braid (0.30mm) on conventional reels throwing 5, 6 or 8-ounce weights and bait-clipped pulley rigs. Besides the number and types of fish I catch, my satisfaction for a surf outing is measured by casting distance achieved and the number of snap-offs realized.

So, the demon I wish to defeat is snap-offs. I’ve experienced two to five snap-offs per trip; two feeling a lot better than five. And of course, every snap-off is accompanied by a bird’s nest in my reel.

My goal is to consistently achieve 100 or more yards casting distance with zero snap-offs. I suppose it’s akin to the golfer striving to achieve par with minimal ball loss.

Its been suggested by various surf casting experts I try 1) a different main line, and 2) improve my wind-on cadence that presently results in an egg-shaped lay down on the reel spool.

I settled on testing two main lines: 1) 20-pound Ande Tournament monofilament (0.43mm), and 2) 30-pound Fireline Trace superline (0.38mm). I tested to my satisfaction the mono at a local lacrosse field but have yet to test the Fireline.

The wind-on cadence—that is, the number of handle-turns for the line to cross the spool once no matter the spool width—is a process step I can learn with practice. I began wondering how the target cadence rate of 5 compared to the built-in cadence for reels that came equipped with a line guide. My reels do not have line guides, instead, the thumb is used to guide the line wind-on.

I stopped by a retailer’s reel counter and did some testing. The test involved counting the number of handle-turns required to move the line guide from one edge of the spool to the other. The cadence measurement is provided in the following table for several barrel-type baitcasters.

Manufacturer Model Gear Ratio Cadence
Abu Garcia 4600 C3 5.3 2.5
Abu Garcia 5600 C4 6.3 3.5
Abu Garcia 6600 C4 6.3 4.5
Abu Garcia 7000 C 4.1 9.5
Abu Garcia 7000 C3 4.1 9.5
Shimano Calcutta 200GTB 6.0 3.0
Shimano Cardiff 300A 5.8 3.5
Shimano Triton 200G 4.3 8.5
Penn Squall 20 LW 4.9 7.5

Out of interest, I also checked a couple of low-profile type baitcasters, e.g. AG Revo S with a gear ratio of 7.3 had a cadence of 2.5 and a Shimano SLX with a gear ratio of 8.2 also had a cadence of 2.5. Still curious I checked a couple of older reels, e.g. Shimano Core with a gear ratio of 7.0 had a cadence of 3.0 and a Shimano Curado 200G6 with a gear ratio of 6.5 had a cadence of 4.0.

In all tests, I found the line guide had no movement for ¼ to ¾ of a full handle turn when the line guide was at the edge of the spool. This was the point where the worm gear caused the line guide to move in a direction opposite to the direction just completed.

I cannot replicate with the movement of my thumb the wind-on pattern of a line guide and the spool wall is a concern. Next time you wind-on line, keep the line against the spool wall such that each new coil stacks on top of the existing coil. Keep adding coils until the stack collapses. Continue winding on line. Stop and look at the coils and see if there any that are any loose coils. Intentionally avoiding this scenario is why I end up with an egg-shaped coil lay down.

Feeling ready, I headed to Matagorda beach this week. I was more focused on battling my casting demons and staying warm then fishing.

I had one snap-off on my PENN Mag525 reel fitted with 20-pound Ande Tournament monofilament.

I had no snap-offs on my Aba Garcia 7000 Blue Yonder fitted with 40-pound PowerPro braid.

That’s an improvement in snap-off rate, which ranged between two and five per outing using two rods.

I concentrated on line wind-on cadence for both reels. I found that I got a level lay down across the spool instead of the egg shape I was realizing if I had a cadence rate of 5 or more and consistently took the line all the way to the edge of the spool.

My casting distance was about equal between the two surf casting rods, i.e. no difference between mono and braid. My surf casting skill currently seems incapable of taking advantage of line diameter differences like I can with my bass fishing rigs. Need to work on pull-down on the push-pull phase and perhaps finding better footing—beach sand is so soft when wet.

I did have a fish on the rod fitted with the PENN reel. On the third pulling run, the interlock snap on my packaged 45-pound wire leader straightened, releasing the hook and fish…Won’t be purchasing that packaged wire leader again.

And I did snag the rig I had snapped off earlier in the day. It had about 40-yards of main line attached, i.e. the snap-off was not the result of knot failure.

I did learn that adding snippets of Berkley Fish Bits to my shrimp sausage made from fresh dead shrimp did entice the nibblers who showed no interest in the sausage without the Fish Bits.

The battle continues…
0 54 Read More
Bass Fishing
Yesterday at 05:12 PM
With this weather, I believe me & the family will hit the East Texas Boat & RV show.... tomorrow looks like a way better day to fish.
0 225 Read More
plugs & announcements
Yesterday at 04:22 PM
Springtime is approaching fast. Now is the time to get your boat ready for a new season of fishing.

At Fun-n-Sun Boating Centers, our certified technicians stand ready to keep your engine running at peak performance. We only use factory parts and lubricants that are specially formulated to work with your Yamaha and Mercury engines. Our service departments at our Hurst and Cleburne locations are open M-F from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and Saturdays 9:00-4:00. No appointment is ever necessary, so call us in Hurst at 817-280-0303 or in Cleburne at 817-447-9191.
0 29 Read More
Whites - Hybrids - Striper
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
Has anyone been on the river yet looking for whites? Figure it's a little early but hoping this year will be good.
0 127 Read More
Test & Help Forum
Yesterday at 02:55 PM
Jump to new posts Test [by ifishlbj]
Test [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Test
0 8 Read More
plugs & announcements
Yesterday at 02:12 PM
David Goodson, www.shut-up-and-fish.com is the one stop shop for all your marine electronics and boating accessories. I'm in sales and customer service is of utmost importance, as we all know. David creates the most positive experience with "service after the sale". His knowledge and expertise of installation is second to none. I bought several units from him over the years, but the most recent HB unit I bought from him had troubles right outta the box.....He has done everything possible to diagnose the issue, loaning me demos, determining the exact problem, calling HB, and going through the process of sending it back for repair/replacement, whichever HB decides, all in a timely manner. Yes, he stays very busy...but he's also always willing to work you in and get things handled. If you're in need of anything boat related, call around and then call David (972-822-9285). You'll be glad you did! And no, this is not a paid advertisement. This is a true testimonial from personal experiences that I've had over the last 8 years doing business with him. Good luck & Good Fishin'!

cheers Okie cheers
0 86 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
UBB.threads™ 7.6.2