Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Seriously Low Cost Flies #9722622 02/10/14 02:33 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

As most of you already know, many of the flies available commercially are imported from countries such as Kenya, Thailand, the Philippines, etc. Fly tying is a labor intensive process; so basically, most commercial flies are tied wherever labor costs are low.

This post isnt a discussion about the quality of the work. Some of the suppliers provide better quality than other suppliers and quite frankly I tie my own flies and I have no idea who does a good job and who doesnt. This post is just aimed at the question of how low can you go for a dozen flies?

Especially on line, you can find some surprisingly low prices for flies. Often significantly lower than even the sale prices at the big box shops. So, obviously, these production fly tying operations must be VERY low cost.

But, has anyone ever wondered how low cost they really are?

I thought a few of you might find these links interesting. They are the websites for some of the factories that I think are in Kenya.

Notice that one of them offers dry flies for $2.50 a dozen and wet flies for $2.00 a dozen.

>> $2.00 a dozen????? <<

I dont know about the rest of you, but I think it costs me more than $2.00 a dozen just for the raw materials and hooks.

Also, note that they offer a quantity discount for orders over 1,500 dozen. 1,500 dozen??? Thats a lifetime supply of flies for most of us around here Except for Mick, of course. laugh

Please note: I have not ordered from any of these companies. The only thing I know about them is that they bought an ad in this years issue of 2014 Blacks Fly Fishing Edition, which is basically a directory of fly fishing industry suppliers, and they appear to offer retails sales. Other than that, buy at your own risk.

If any of you decide to place an order from any of these folks, let us know how it goes. laugh

These are in no particular order:

http://www.johnfliesflyfactory.kingeshop.com/

http://www.serendibflies.com/

http://www.fliesperdozen.com/

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9722688 02/10/14 02:47 AM
J
jonesy_84 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Those are some insane prices. 12 bucks for a dozen saltwater flies? Makes you wonder about hook quality big time. Imagine hooking up to a fish of a lifetime only to have the hook fail because you wanted to save a few bucks.

Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9722721 02/10/14 02:56 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
What kind of hooks they are using is one of my questions. The price does make you wonder???

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9723423 02/10/14 01:32 PM
T
That Possum Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I'd use the flies but I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing a money transaction with any of them.

Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9723449 02/10/14 01:44 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Tying flies that are good enougbh to fish with is not all that hard unless you're getting down into the "a dozen fit on a dime" size or some unusual patterns. It's a fine hobby and I strongly recommend it.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9723741 02/10/14 03:24 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
here's a site you don't have to worry about; the flies are even cheaper. I spent $50 on flies and theyre pretty good, especially for less than $2 a dozen-p-
http://www.fishandsave.com/

Last edited by pearow; 02/10/14 03:25 PM.
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9723852 02/10/14 03:57 PM
C
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Well I don't know how they tie for such a cheap price, I have seen a few of these over the years and a lot will fall apart after a few casts etc. My problem is with the "slave labor" issue and what do the tyers actually get to make a living?
As is often the case cheap flies will mean chap materials............it stands to reason just like buying cheap clothes and tools.
Anglers that purchase flies from local tyers like that fact that they at least have seen a trout or large mouth and will often tie to match local hatches.
That's my two pennies worth as they say

Tight threads all
Mike

".........the wood rod casts beautifully, and through it you can feel the heartbeats of the small trout."
John Gierach.
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9723958 02/10/14 04:26 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I agree chefmike; those who are tying those flies are not making enough to feed themselves; however, if they DON'T sell em at even that low price means they aren't getting paid anything; so a little is better than nothing. You are right; theyre cheep flies; won't hold up; but they'll catch a fish or two. I buy them; put some sally's on the head wraps and they'll be fine for brim and bass; caught a few trout on the streamers. If I tied up some of those same flies I would have to charge $15 to $20 a dozen just to make minimum wage and pay for my hooks and materials. I have read that in the USA the middle class are now shopping at the Dollar stores because they can no longer afford Wal-Mart. So, we may be heading in the same direction-p-

Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9723993 02/10/14 04:39 PM
C
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Well said Pearow..............
Mike

".........the wood rod casts beautifully, and through it you can feel the heartbeats of the small trout."
John Gierach.
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9724287 02/10/14 06:03 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Not saying that these cheap flies are not made by 6 year old children working 18 hours/day, but...

There is actually another option of the origin of these flies. These could be a micro-business in a third world country, who makes these to survive. Micro-investors from developed countries make small investments that give some of these people a shot at making a living for themselves. The return on investment is slow and small. Anyway, I've seen this scenario with other hand-crafted items. Just remember, a couple dollars a day in some places in this world feeds your family.

Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9725603 02/10/14 11:57 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Rex:

Interesting discussion. I know you are good at casting, and found that you cast an aspersion my way in your post. I resemble that remark.

I enjoy tying my own flies, though there are some patterns that I've given myself permission not to learn or tie -- they're either too small (size 26 Parachute Adams) or too labor intensive (like some of the fancy hopper patterns). In those cases, I'll find a commercial alternative.

Since I also tie for charity and donate several boxes of flies a year to charity events, I'll sometimes buy commercially to fill out a box needed on a short deadline.

My cheapest flies have come in bulk purchases, like one I made earlier this month, when I bought the last of a fly shop's inventory of flies. Frankly, I did not asked who tied them, though I know that some were tied locally and some came from Orvis, who gets most of theirs from overseas.

It's an issue certainly worth being aware of and factoring into one's buying decisions.

Thanks, Rex.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9725771 02/11/14 12:48 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Hey Mick, I just figured 1,500 dozen was about the yearly output from your home vise. hide2

I agree with you, there are some patterns that I just don't want to tie. I buy those patterns and other flies too from assorted fly shops. I have no doubt that I've bought flies that were made in similar factories and I'm sure most of the people reading this have too. Actually, if you buy flies from any retail location, I don't know how you'd avoid doing it. Even the major fly suppliers such as Rainey's and Umpqua use production facilities in Asia, but both of them have their own exclusive factories that they use.

I read an interview where one of the well known US fly tiers talked about visiting one of the factories to show them how to tie one of his new designs. The workers laughed at how slow of a tier he was. I guess if you want to be a commercial fly tyer, that you had better be FAST!

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9726728 02/11/14 03:59 AM
C
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
They all work on a piecework basis so I am told........the more they tie the more they get paid.
I might be the odd one out here but I have never brought a fly, I guess I like the challenge of tying something new, but I can certainly see why some tyers dont want to tie all their own flies especially size 28 dries etc.....
Mike

John Gierach.
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9726838 02/11/14 04:29 AM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
We are so "conditioned" to our affluent living that we cannot fathom a person making 25c a day wages. I am old enough to remember cotton picking time in South Arkansas; a grown man or woman would pick 100 pounds of cotton for 50c; they were proud to be able to pick 200/ 300 pounds in a day to feed their family. I was just a little boy then, but I remember thinking that was not very much money since my "allowance" was 25c a week.(for taking out the trash) I certainly don't mind it if I help some person in an undeveloped country make a little bit of money. It just might be that someday those roles might be reversed-p-

Last edited by pearow; 02/11/14 04:31 AM.
Re: Seriously Low Cost Flies [Re: RexW] #9727733 02/11/14 03:03 PM
C
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
This is very true..................my son lives in the Philippines and $50 there goes a very long way........
Mike

John Gierach.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide