Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 34 of 143 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 142 143
Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Doug Vahrenberg] #7689869 06/25/12 09:51 PM
mperl Offline
Angler
Angler
Thanks, Doug. Someone else on TFF tried to convince me that silicone was the way to go, but I used the fast cure epoxy that Lowrance sells and it worked great. I am all set now. Now I just need to learn how to use it and the added maps.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7707357 06/29/12 08:26 PM
J
JimBo Hops Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Would anyone be up for help reading a Humminbird PiranhaMax 170? It's a friend of mine's, and we are trying to locate structure for primarily going after crappie and also catfishing. We are both very new to electronics and are just trying to get on the right track. It's mounted at the back, on the lower right side if you're facing the motor.

Last edited by JimBo Hops; 06/29/12 08:33 PM.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7708897 06/30/12 02:08 AM
D
Doug Vahrenberg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
What are you needing?

Sponsored by: Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Dobyns Rods, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, Omega Custom Tackle, Browning Eyewear, Elite Tungsten Co., Angler Innovations, Massey Ferguson.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7709144 06/30/12 02:57 AM
J
JimBo Hops Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Just how to read the screen really. How to determine what would be some brush or structure under the water, and also how to determine where what's on the screen is in the water. So if we find a brush pile, where we need to cast or drop the bait. I probably sound like a dummy but we are both new to the electronics and it seems like we are doing it wrong as it is.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7711314 06/30/12 11:11 PM
D
Doug Vahrenberg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I would look at some of the basics of 2D Sonar..

http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com/boats-and-electronics.html

Sponsored by: Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Dobyns Rods, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, Omega Custom Tackle, Browning Eyewear, Elite Tungsten Co., Angler Innovations, Massey Ferguson.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7711859 07/01/12 02:54 AM
G
Goosetree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I bought a 2000 Cobra Bass Boat that came with a HB 898SI unit. I'm having a hard time with the depth function. It shows 3 feet most of the time even when I know I'm in 15 to 20 feet water. This happens even at 1 to 2 MPH. It will jump back and forth but only read correctly for a few seconds then jumps back to 3 feet. The transducer is mounted on the jack plate with a special mount. Any ideas?

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7711988 07/01/12 03:26 AM
D
Doug Vahrenberg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Does it have a shoot thru transducer and Y cable? Many installed this way to get on plane speed readings and sounds like the 2D transducer is not getting good readings thru the hull. I would check to see if you have a Y cable plugged into the transducer port on the back of the unit.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Doug Vahrenberg] #7712020 07/01/12 03:36 AM
G
Goosetree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Doug,

All it has hooked to the back of the unit is a single plug that covers the 4 ports on the right side of the unit. Is that a Y Cable??? There is an old transducer laying in the battery compartment but I assumed it wasn't connected. It's not glassed in...it's just laying on it's side in the bottom of the hull.

Last edited by Goosetree; 07/01/12 03:38 AM.
Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7712357 07/01/12 10:00 AM
R
Richard Meadors Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I have a 788CI and tried to download my waypoints, etc yesterday. I have done this before with no problem. But, when I went to Naviagation, there was no option to Export Nav Data. Any thoughts on what could be the cause?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former-Albert Einstein
Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Goosetree] #7713132 07/01/12 05:08 PM
D
Doug Vahrenberg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Goosetree
Doug,

All it has hooked to the back of the unit is a single plug that covers the 4 ports on the right side of the unit. Is that a Y Cable??? There is an old transducer laying in the battery compartment but I assumed it wasn't connected. It's not glassed in...it's just laying on it's side in the bottom of the hull.

Look at the Cable Collector that holds all the individual Cables. Look at the Transducer Port do you have one cable or two coming from that port?

Here is 800/900 Series Cable Collector and Port Locations:

Since i run the 1100 Series here is the Cable COllector for it

The back of the Cable collector may have wiring like this. One Wire to Power, Comm Port could have Y Cable installed for GPS and Accessory like InterLink, Weathersense Etc and the Transducer Port has one wire transducer is connected direct. IF using AS SI DB Y Cable will have 2 Wires

800/900 will have same set-up just all in a line not in square cable collector

Here is a closer look at AS SI DB Y Cable removed from Cable Collector

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Richard Meadors] #7713144 07/01/12 05:12 PM
D
Doug Vahrenberg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Richard Meadors
I have a 788CI and tried to download my waypoints, etc yesterday. I have done this before with no problem. But, when I went to Naviagation, there was no option to Export Nav Data. Any thoughts on what could be the cause?

If you updated software with the new Waypoint Management Menu you will have to use that feature to select all and export.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Doug Vahrenberg] #7713396 07/01/12 07:02 PM
J
JimBo Hops Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Doug Vahrenberg
I would look at some of the basics of 2D Sonar..

http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com/boats-and-electronics.html

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will be reading up.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Doug Vahrenberg] #7713402 07/01/12 07:03 PM
G
Goosetree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Doug,

It doesn't have a Y cable. For some reason it worked today all but for a few minutes then it was fine again. Could I have a loose connection? The SI and DI works fine even when the depth isn't reading.

I'm planning on running a Y cable with a thru hull transducer. If I put the cable on do I have move back and forth between transducers or does it always use the thru hull for depth? Do you have instructions on what kind of epoxy to use and how to install? I want to make sure it will read on plane at 70MPH.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #7713548 07/01/12 07:59 PM
D
Doug Vahrenberg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
How to Install Shoot-Thru (Epoxy In Hull) Transducer:

First: It is recommended to test the location prior to installation. Hull construction can have effects on getting good readings and it's best to find the best location. Air Pockets, Areas that Glass Matts Overlap, Delamination of Hull can effect the sonar performance. The best wasy is to disable automatic bilge pump temporarily and add a couple inches of water to the hull. Next build a small sand bag using a Ziploc bag. Place transducer in hull and using sand bag hold it down to find the best location for installation. Normally the closer to the rear of the boat and center of the boat the higher speed the sonar will stay locked on. Make sure the location is away from strakes underneath as these will cause aerated or turbulated water underneath and disrupt the clean water flow accross the bottom of the hull which can effect sonar readings.

Second: Mark the location of the best readings and drain the water and allow hull to dry. Hull must be dry for epoxy to adhere and set-up.

Third: I like to sand or smooth out area of hull the transducer is mounted so it's flat and smooth surface.

Fourth: Using Plumber's Putty or Play Do build a small dam around the Area the transducer will installed about an 1" wider than transducer to keep epoxy from flowing during installation.

Fifth: Use Slow Cure Epoxy - I recommend the epoxy that comes with the transducer direct from Humminbird. Slow Cure Epoxy stays cooler than fast cure. DO NOT use silicone or any other material than epoxy. Silicone can absorb sonar waves and creates alot of issues. Mix thoroughly until consist color. Avoid whipping while mixing to reduce creating air bubbles in the epoxy. The less air bubbles the better the final results and improved sonar readings.

Sixth: I like to apply a thin layer of epoxy on the transducer, I also like to apply a thin layer pressed into the bottom of the dam to squeeze out any potential air bubbles between epoxy and hull. Fill the rest of the dam with remaining epoxy.

Seventh: Installation of transducer. As you push transducer into the epoxy start 90° from foward and push and slowly turn the quarter turn. This will helps squeeze out air bubbles under the transducer.

Eighth: Using Sandbag from step one place on top of transducer to hold it in place. And allow the epoxy to cure for a minimum of 24 hours.

Ninth: Remove Sandbag and Plumbers Putty. Your Transducer is now installed and ready to use.

Tenth: Test Transducer in the Water to make sure you have good sonar readings. If not you may have air the epoxy and may need to repeat procedure to get good sonar readings.

Re: Humminbird SONAR [Re: Doug Vahrenberg] #7713887 07/01/12 09:48 PM
R
Richard Meadors Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I sent the unit to HB in March and they exchanged it. I assume they loaded the most current software, but I didn't see a Waypoint Management Menu. Do you know if this new menu is since March? I guess I can see if there are any updates and install those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former-Albert Einstein
Page 34 of 143 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 142 143
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide