Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7341130 03/27/12 04:15 PM
B
brokenjeep Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
That sucks, I would have helped you.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: fouzman] #7341144 03/27/12 04:18 PM
S
SkinnyT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
LOL. It`s any, not aby. For future reference. grin

Originally Posted By: fouzman
For future reference, you Chock tires, not chalk. And it's a Row of cars, not a roll. Glad ya'll got it stopped before aby serious damage was done. ALWAYS, chock your tires before unhooking the trailer from the tow vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Jigfish
And it begins. I was at Ray Hubbard Sunday at Chandlers. As I was pulling the boat out a big ski boat was backing in. I pulled my boat around in front of the marina and there is a little down grade hill that slopes towards the water. As I'm wiping my boat down this same ski boat pulls next to me. As I'm wiping the boat down a guy maybe 20yrs old starts to unhook the boat from the truck. I'm thinking "I'm hoping he chalked the tires". I walk behind MY BOAT to look and nope, no chalk. I start to say "NO" and it was to late. That boat started to roll down hill and headed towards a roll of cars. I get on the front of the trailer with this guy and we're trying to stop it. A couple of other guys(bass fishermen) run over and get behind the boat and we stopped it about 2' from totaling these cars. As were holding the boat I yell at him to get the chalks out of the back of my pickup. He finds some rocks next to the boat and chalks his boat. Me and the other two guys just look at each other then we look at him and told him to always chalk your tires. I cleaned my boat went home and took pain killers for my back....

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: SkinnyT] #7341544 03/27/12 05:40 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SkinnyT
LOL. It`s any, not aby. For future reference. grin

Originally Posted By: fouzman
For future reference, you Chock tires, not chalk. And it's a Row of cars, not a roll. Glad ya'll got it stopped before aby serious damage was done. ALWAYS, chock your tires before unhooking the trailer from the tow vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Jigfish
And it begins. I was at Ray Hubbard Sunday at Chandlers. As I was pulling the boat out a big ski boat was backing in. I pulled my boat around in front of the marina and there is a little down grade hill that slopes towards the water. As I'm wiping my boat down this same ski boat pulls next to me. As I'm wiping the boat down a guy maybe 20yrs old starts to unhook the boat from the truck. I'm thinking "I'm hoping he chalked the tires". I walk behind MY BOAT to look and nope, no chalk. I start to say "NO" and it was to late. That boat started to roll down hill and headed towards a roll of cars. I get on the front of the trailer with this guy and we're trying to stop it. A couple of other guys(bass fishermen) run over and get behind the boat and we stopped it about 2' from totaling these cars. As were holding the boat I yell at him to get the chalks out of the back of my pickup. He finds some rocks next to the boat and chalks his boat. Me and the other two guys just look at each other then we look at him and told him to always chalk your tires. I cleaned my boat went home and took pain killers for my back....

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7344184 03/28/12 03:30 AM
D
D Kissinger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I wish I had a video of me one time when I forgot to put the plug in. I got to the dock and wondered why the boat seemed heavy in the water. I looked in the back of the boat with the batteries and noticed it almost full. Turned on the bilge and floored it to the trailer before the water got up to the battery posts. I ran the boat up on the trailer at a diagonal and slowly pulled it out. Water was really close to the battery posts. The look on my face would have been priceless. Happened to be a day when noone was at the ramp.

1998 Fisher FX19 Tournament 1998 Mercury 200
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: D Kissinger] #7344346 03/28/12 04:15 AM
I
Igot1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Back in late 70's there was a marina and fee ramp on the west end of lake Ray Hubbard Hwy 66 bridge.Think the ramp is still there the old marina closed and the empty building became the home of Lake Pointe Church. Anyway several boats came in late afternoon to load up. A guy backs his truck in and loads up his stick steering boat with 50 horse Merc jumps out wenches it up hops in truck and takes off. He left the motor running and all waiting boaters listened to that motor still running as he got on 66 bridge and headed to Rockwall.Really sounded loud going across bridge.All of were laughing like crazy.

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7345585 03/28/12 03:32 PM
257Roberts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Right after I got my first "real boat" I was trying to load up on a busy Saturday afternoon. Ran the boat up on the trailer and the nose went under the front roller...so I did it again...and again...and again. I tried to pick up the nose to get it over the roller (no way). A guy standing on the dock watching said "Well, thats one way to do it". By this time there were probably a half dozen guys waiting on me to get out of the way and I was starting to get really stressed...so I beached my boat, parked my truck and sat at a picnic table until the ramp was free. Backed the trailer in the water and loaded up...no problem. I had no idea why I had a problem the first time...but not the second time. It sure would have been nice if one of the more experienced guys had said "Pssst...pull your truck up a foot".

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: fouzman] #7346157 03/28/12 05:34 PM
O
One fish Bill Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
[quote=fouzman]For future reference, you Chock tires, not chalk. And it's a Row of cars, not a roll. Glad ya'll got it stopped before aby serious damage was done. ALWAYS, chock your tires before unhooking the trailer from the tow vehicle!

And get in the habit of unhooking the safety chains after the hitch is off that way if you forget to chock there is a backup safety measure.

Last edited by Onefish bill; 03/28/12 05:36 PM.
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7346197 03/28/12 05:45 PM
S
Scott Gordon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
As a tournament director, it is always a source of entertainment after the anglers have launched to have the opportunity to watch the pleasure boaters launch at the local boat ramp. Last Sunday at Lake Lewisville, I watched as a boat with four asian men launched their fishing boat only to find the bilges pumping out water. They had no clue that their drain-plug was not in, and they thought that they had a hole in their boat. The four of tem shed their clothes and jumped in the water to find the mysterious "hole". After several minutes, the boat drifted towards the shore and they were able to get their footing in the shallow water. I approached the group and told them to check their drain-plug, and to put their boat back on their trailer to allow the water to drain out. The owner of the boat started yelling at me, so I walked away. They then powered up and motored away with the bilges still pumping out water! they simply had no clue!

Scott Gordon
Tournament Director
Bass Pro Shops Cabelas Big Bass Tour
scott@bigbasstour.com
214-801-2611
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Shawn Mead] #7346303 03/28/12 06:15 PM
S
sadibo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Pk Lake] #7346768 03/28/12 08:02 PM
A
armadilla Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Pk Lake
Speaking of goof balls. It seems like I am the guy that always gets in behind the guy that leaves his lights on bright and backs in at an angle on a two lane ramp. This has happened the last two or three tournaments while unloading in the am.

I have been accused of doing this.. however, the lights on my 1999 GMC pickup will not turn off when the engine is running and it is dark.... they are automatic on. The only way they will turn off is to apply the emergency brake. On the ramp, they can appear to be on bright when they are not... just on. A pain in the behind and a pain other boaters eyes. Sorry.

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: armadilla] #7347467 03/28/12 10:51 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
You only have to engage the emergency brake a click or 2 to get the lights to go out. This will not cause the brakes to make contact and will not stop you from backing or pulling back up the ramp. I drove a 1997 for about 8 years and had to do this every time.

[Linked Image]
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7347552 03/28/12 11:09 PM
B
basstastic29 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I've got one for you guys me and my father in law were fishing lake Buchanan and he jumped from bow to tailgate barefoot and adopted on the tailgate only to land crotch first on the trailer tounge and ripped a 3in gash in his marble bag...lol all he kept saying as he held them for dear life was I sure hope I don't have a hot nurse. Now mind you he 50 well he ended up with 6stitches and when he got out he said looks like ur running the tm. And I was astonished that he still wanted to go fishing after that. Definitely one tuff mother

It ain't how deep u fish its how u wiggle ur worm

(Olsen's bait shop)

www.americancanvasprod.com
custom pool covers to custom built awnings.
We do any kind of custom vinyl work and canvas material. If any of u guys or gals need a quote pm me we also do almost any repairs. We also do some of the best custom boat and motor covers.
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7349320 03/29/12 06:51 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I live on A busy st. In Fort Worth and my house is on a curve. I normaly whip it and stick it in five o'clock traffic. Then one day my partner is telling his son how well I get it in the drive. Well that time it took curb hopping four lanes blocked, and a beat up ego it happens to all o us at times. Mine normaly are when I got out of work late slept an hour and drove three to get there, but be safe and fish on lol.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Lukethadrifter1969] #7349590 03/29/12 12:18 PM
T
Tripp Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Lukethadrifter1969
One of these days, I am gonna write a book about boat ramp stories. I am not kidding. You can take a family of four to a public boat ramp in the springtime and summertime and entertain them all day long with the sounds and sights of a public boat ramp. My favorite's are the wife's trying to back down the ramp while their husband is yellin obscenities at them from the boat over the sound of cigarette boats, outboards,kids splashing and screaming in the swim area right next to the ramp and the squeal of bald goodyears on a 1991 nissan truck trying to pull a 28 foot pontoon full of overweight aunts nd uncles up slick algae coated concrete. I could just go on and on.......................................................................

Please keep going... You've got me laughing and I gotta go to work!

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Chris B] #7349956 03/29/12 01:54 PM
F
fishmagnet Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Chris B
You only have to engage the emergency brake a click or 2 to get the lights to go out. This will not cause the brakes to make contact and will not stop you from backing or pulling back up the ramp. I drove a 1997 for about 8 years and had to do this every time.

I hit the EASY button and simply pulled the DRL fuse from the fuse box on the driver's side of the instrument panel. No more Daytime Running Lights on my '98 Tahoe! fish

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide