Forums59
Topics1,040,933
Posts13,989,932
Members144,244
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: swalker9513] #7339406 03/27/12 03:19 AM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: swalker9513
I was at squaw creek a few months ago and had a bad boat ramp experience. And I'm sure that those watching me had quite a tale to tell. But, I actually could have used a little help, but none offered. Don't assume someone doesn't know what they are doing. They may have a problem, and could use some help.

Please elaborate!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7339540 03/27/12 03:49 AM
B
bassfork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Isn't funny that we all talk about people who have a problem on the ramp and forget that at one time or another we have looked just as dumb to someone else. If you have never had some kind of problem on the ramp, then you haven't done it enough times. I have been fishing from a boat for many years and more than once I have managed to to do something stupid that was caused by being in a hurry,just forgetting or some other reason. I am as bad about laughing at other peoples problems on the ramp as any one else but I will do my very best to give them a hand when possible, then laugh when they are out of hearing. I could tell a thousand stories about things I have seen or done at the ramp.

U.S.M.C. 1967-1971
RVN 1969
Marble Mountain Air Facility
Da Nang
HML-167 helicopter squadron
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Shawn Mead] #7339543 03/27/12 03:49 AM
L
LSUfan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: ShawnMead (torquetwister)
I have had many encounters at the ramp for people being pissed off at me for not turning my lights off while backing a boat down or pulling one up from the water on a ramp.

For some reason...Ford thought it would be cute to install day time running lights on my vehicle that can not be disabled. Yes...you read that correct...they can not be disabled minus pulling a fuse or disconnecting them. I am sure one of the know it alls around here has bumped into me on the ramp and thought they was going to show me different and walked away scratching their head. Blame it on Ford!! I do!

Oh...and 1,000,000 apologies ahead of time to those that fish Media Fork or Media North East Teams. Also, for anybody that gets their panties in a bunch this coming Sunday at Dodge Megabass on Fork. I will be in a White F-150 pulling a Blue ZX225...just smile and wave and know that if I could...I would turn them off.

I guess I could turn the trucks ignition off and use neutral for backing...I just don't want to do my best impression of Cody and sink my truck!!

I have a Ford F150 and I simply move the headlight selector to parking lights, your daytime lights will go off but your parking lights will stay on. It's a 2003 F-150 I hope yours is the same because there isn't anything I hate more then having to stare at some headlights while backing my trailer in at night or early morning smile

Last edited by LSUfan; 03/27/12 03:50 AM.
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7339616 03/27/12 04:15 AM
Russell Olds Offline
Angler
Angler
It has started. Pulled up to the ramp Saturday to load my boat and there are 4 or 5 guys working on a Sea Doo jet boat right in the middle lane of the boat ramp. Had the cover off the motor with parts lying around and another truck pulled right up next to it for tools and such. So a 3 wide ramp was down to one lane. Why would you not pull 25 more feet over out of the way so people could use the ramp? You would think one of them would have said, "Let's pull it off the ramp to work on it. " it's like some people have zero common sense.
But I must say the pontoon boats are always the slowest and funniest to watch at the ramp!

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7339630 03/27/12 04:21 AM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
2 screws had fallen out of the trailer bunk board. So, when I backed the trailer down, 1 bunk was floating around. I had to kill the big motor and lay across the front deck, trying to guide myself onto the trailer while holding the bunk board in place. Climbed up the trailer to the winch to do the rest with the winch, hoping that the bunk board was under the boat. It all worked out, just looked like I had no idea how to load the boat. And took longer than I like to be on the ramp.

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7339680 03/27/12 04:47 AM
C
Court Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
My best non brilliant move at a ramp hurt me alot worse than my pride, but it must have been pretty funny to watch according to the round of cheers I received from on lookers.
Putting the boat back on the trailer, I thought I would speed things up for everyone and jump from the boat to the lowered tailgate. Remember the cheesy tailgate cables chevy had a recall on? Say no more. I ended up tangled up in the trailer, shoe string caught in the strap crank handle and upside down in the water. Beat my shins on everything on the way down. When I finally untangled myself, I stood up brushed myself off and then took a bow, I received a 9.5 on style points according to one of the judges!

Last edited by Court; 03/27/12 05:29 AM.
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7339748 03/27/12 05:25 AM
N
NODOUBLEDIGITYET Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
lol to funny

"NODOUBLEDIGITYET"
BassCat Pantera II
Motorcars of Dallas

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7339771 03/27/12 05:36 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Last time out fishing by myself when i was unloading my boat became unhooked in the water.

I usually let out a few feet of slack in the winch rope and back the trailer down and bump the brakes untill i see the boat float off and hit the end of the slack, then i pull the boat back to me and hop on.

well, i'm looking out the back window of my truck and never see the boat hit the end of the rope, it just keeps going.

luckily the wind was blowing in such a way that it was still in jumping distance from the courtesy dock, but just barely.

I got a running start and went flying onto the front of my boat and almost missed, that would have been a site to see i'm sure...

I'm pretty athletic and it was a good distance i had to jump, i didn't think i could make it at first but just ran as fast and jumped as far as i could, and it was barely enough..

this summer when the water was really low, i fell off the dock, trying to get into the boat(water was 9' low where i was, that was fun..

I was actually already in the boat, trying to hold it to the dock so my partner could get in and the wind blew the boat away just as i was trying to hold on, basically the wind blew the boat right out from under me, put a crank bait in my hand that day, caught a ton of fish so it was a good day all around LOL

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Monte Coon] #7340036 03/27/12 11:59 AM
M
Moaner Hooks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: Monte Coon
Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
why was he unhooking his trailer from his truck??

He probably thought that's how you launch it!!!

rolfmao

He had to get everything ready and knew it would be awhile. He probably figured he would go park the truck while he got ready, lol.

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7340271 03/27/12 01:17 PM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Craziness!

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: LSUfan] #7340420 03/27/12 01:46 PM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: LSUfan
Originally Posted By: ShawnMead (torquetwister)
I have had many encounters at the ramp for people being pissed off at me for not turning my lights off while backing a boat down or pulling one up from the water on a ramp.

For some reason...Ford thought it would be cute to install day time running lights on my vehicle that can not be disabled. Yes...you read that correct...they can not be disabled minus pulling a fuse or disconnecting them. I am sure one of the know it alls around here has bumped into me on the ramp and thought they was going to show me different and walked away scratching their head. Blame it on Ford!! I do!

Oh...and 1,000,000 apologies ahead of time to those that fish Media Fork or Media North East Teams. Also, for anybody that gets their panties in a bunch this coming Sunday at Dodge Megabass on Fork. I will be in a White F-150 pulling a Blue ZX225...just smile and wave and know that if I could...I would turn them off.

I guess I could turn the trucks ignition off and use neutral for backing...I just don't want to do my best impression of Cody and sink my truck!!

I have a Ford F150 and I simply move the headlight selector to parking lights, your daytime lights will go off but your parking lights will stay on. It's a 2003 F-150 I hope yours is the same because there isn't anything I hate more then having to stare at some headlights while backing my trailer in at night or early morning smile

I have tried it ALL! I have a 3 position switch(Off/Parking/On) As described, but the daytime running lights will never turn off. It doesn't matter what position the selector is in or if the e-brake is engaged partially or fully....they stay on. I have even tried turning the dimmer switch to the off position thinking that would fix it but no luck. Mine is an 04 Heritage F-150 w/ the V-8. I have spent hours on google trying to find a simple fix. The last thing I want to do is get into the wiring.

Lake Fork Mafia
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: SoCal Tom] #7340528 03/27/12 02:07 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
Originally Posted By: Joefishin
I have to admit I unhooked my boat in my driveway last year after a looong day on the water and forgot the chalks...... I guess I was just worn out from the heat that day, but it drug me and my little flip flops all the way down the driveway and into the neighbors yard (luckily they don't have a fence). I was using those flip flops as concrete water ski's. My neighbor was sitting his back porch bbq'ing. When he finally stopped laughing he helped me line it up so I could back the truck back down the driveway and pull it forward. LOL He still makes fun of me when I see him, hahaha. It happens.....

This I would have loved to see! Concrete water skiing! rolfmao cheers

It was my Ranger, there was no stopping it, lol

http://www.denalirods.com
�Some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not really the fish they are after.� -Henry David Thoreau
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7340699 03/27/12 02:52 PM
G
G-Money Monster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
One Saturday morning my dad and I went to Alan Henry. I was sitting in the boat as he was backing me down and the guy next to me was backing his boat down as well. As he was backing down I noticed a 25 ft extension chord dragging next to him. I stopped my dad jumped out and pointed the extension chord to him he stopped and looked puzzled for a minute than said "well Ill be darn I drug that thing all the way from Lubbock!" Which is funny because Lubbock is a hour drive or more from Alan Henry! We laughed about it but that is a loooong way to drag an extension chord behind your boat!!...LOL

Last edited by G-Money Monster; 03/27/12 02:56 PM.

Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7340716 03/27/12 02:56 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
For future reference, you Chock tires, not chalk. And it's a Row of cars, not a roll. Glad ya'll got it stopped before aby serious damage was done. ALWAYS, chock your tires before unhooking the trailer from the tow vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Jigfish
And it begins. I was at Ray Hubbard Sunday at Chandlers. As I was pulling the boat out a big ski boat was backing in. I pulled my boat around in front of the marina and there is a little down grade hill that slopes towards the water. As I'm wiping my boat down this same ski boat pulls next to me. As I'm wiping the boat down a guy maybe 20yrs old starts to unhook the boat from the truck. I'm thinking "I'm hoping he chalked the tires". I walk behind MY BOAT to look and nope, no chalk. I start to say "NO" and it was to late. That boat started to roll down hill and headed towards a roll of cars. I get on the front of the trailer with this guy and we're trying to stop it. A couple of other guys(bass fishermen) run over and get behind the boat and we stopped it about 2' from totaling these cars. As were holding the boat I yell at him to get the chalks out of the back of my pickup. He finds some rocks next to the boat and chalks his boat. Me and the other two guys just look at each other then we look at him and told him to always chalk your tires. I cleaned my boat went home and took pain killers for my back....

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: What a Goof Ball, Boat Ramp Story [Re: Jigfish] #7341100 03/27/12 04:09 PM
Z
Zipster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Z
Last year I was at Fork during the Skeeter owners tournament. I went out that Saturday night to do some night fishing when at about 11:00 pm a lightning storm rolled in. I headed back to the ramp and loaded up my boat. After about an hour the storm blew through and I headed back out to finish the night. When I was pulling the trailer back up the ramp, I noticed it was acting weird and was hopping around all over the place. I got it parked on the side of the parking lot(as far as I could get it) and quickly learned that I had busted my leaf spring on the pot hole that used to be in the middle of the launch area. Not much I could do at 1:00 am so I went fishing.

The next morning I woke up to what sounded like a Nascar race on the lake. WTH? That's when I realized that the tourny was still going on Sunday. (Woops!) When I got back to the ramp, the parking lot was packed. I mean PACKED. Every slot full and the grass surrounding the lot was full. My trailer was completely surrounded and I know there were a bunch of pizzed off guys wondering who the idiot was that parked their trailer on the side of the parking lot.

so now it's early Sunday morning and I have a busted leaf spring to deal with. I can't move my trailer out of the way, let alone load my boat. So I tie the boat up to the courtesy dock, unload all my gear, drop my trailer and head to Sulpher springs to try and find a leaf spring and some tools. I finally found one that would fit my trailer and head back to the ramp. When I get there, some kind soul has kicked my trailer out of the way so he could drive straight over and load his boat. So now it's sitting cockeyed out in the lane and really messing things up.

At 3:00 pm I was still working on that trailer. It was over a 100 degrees outside, I did not have the proper tools, short one jack (I needed 2) and I was getting nowhere. By then the tourny was over and it was weigh in time and here come the boats. One by one people would walk by me headed to their trucks; some would look at me, most wouldn't. Within an hour the lot was empty and not a single person spoke to me let alone asked if they could help. Finally after calling everybocy I knew, buddy of mine called a buddy of his, someone I had never met before, who drove over from Sulpher springs and gave me a hand. At 5:30 that afternoon, I headed back home to Fort Worth.

It was no ones's problem but my own but if you see someone struggling lend a hand.You never know... someday it may be you that needs the help.

Last edited by Zipster; 03/27/12 04:11 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide