Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
San Antonio may 4-8 #623241 02/12/03 09:47 PM
M
minnesota Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I will be at an annual conference May 4-8. I usually have an entire Saturday to do as I please. I always fish. Port Lavaca doesn't look too terribly far to drive from San Antonio (150 miles or so). I am from Minnesota so saltwater fishing is a great treat for me. I was thinking about giving the pier there a try. Can any of you experts out there tell me if that is a good idea or not? Thanks.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623242 02/12/03 11:50 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Welcome to the best fishing board in Texas. Also hope you enjoy your stay in San Antonio. First time to S.A.? About your question, I would not go to Port Lavaca...... Would suggest the Corpus Christi area. Its straight down IH 37 from San Antonio. Got all kinds of piers; bay channel, surf. Got bank fishing in areas of Rockport, Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, C.C. it'self, Padre Island, etc.......Would suggest a bay guide or a Gulf trip on a head boat. My first choice would be a bay trip, 'cause May is when the speckled trout fishing is the best. Would cost some money, but you would have a great time..........Now I am going to shamelessly promote myself; I organize hunting and fishing trips. If you are interested in going with a guide, I would be happy to help. Just email me at outdoorstexas@yahoo.com and we can talk......Are you driving to S.A. or flying? Wondering if you'll have fishing tackle with you? BTW, I'm in the San Antonio area.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623243 02/13/03 04:17 PM
M
minnesota Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Warden, thanks for the reply. I will be flying down but renting a car. My saltwater experience has been fishing in Destin Florida last may for a couple of days. I am an avid Minnesota fisherman but don't know squat about saltwater. I brought down a couple of rods spolled up with 10lb test superline and fished 6 1/2 and seven foot med heavy walleye rods throwing gotchas off of the Okaloosa pier. I did very well catching spanish macs, hardtail bluefish, ladyfish, one redfish about 10lbs and one pompono. The biggest fish was the red and a 24 inch spanish mac. Way too much fun on light tackle. I just went to an area baitshop and asked them what I should try and they sent me to the pier. I also did go on a boat for 4 hours fishing king macs. I caught 3 and the biggest was about 20 lbs. It was great and they gave me a spinning rod to use that was lighter than the rods the others used. The only setback on the trip was they wanted you to horse them in and quick. I like to play a little more but never the less it was way fun! One morning on the pier I caught 8 spanish in about 2 hours. One guy next to me hasseled me about my lite tackle when I got there. After I had 5 and he had one hookup that he lost he started asking me what I was doing. I believe it's the lighter line that gives a better presentation. How much of a drive is it from the Waterwalk in San Antonio to Corpus? I will only have one shot at saltwater being the saturday that I arrive will be my only chance to take the time to drive that far. It's a work trip.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623244 02/13/03 08:52 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
From the Riverwalk, it's 147 miles to downtown Corpus Christi. Then about 12 miles to the Padre Island area. 70 mph speed limit all the way to the end of IH37......There is so many places to fish in the CC area. You might look at some of the prevoius post here about the CC area. For a one day shot I would look at a guide for sure. About as close to a sure thing with lots of action. If that's not what you want, then I would hit the surf piers, at Padre Island and Port Aransas. Names are Bob Hall pier and Horace Caldwell pier. Both have web sites that can help you out. Saturdays will be crowdwd everywhere, might look at the Copano Bay pier, north of Rockport. An old highway bridge that's now a fishing pier. Also might want to walk the South Jetty and cast for fish there. That would be the best spot for fishing without knowing much about the area. Best chance to catch fish, if you don't mind searching and looking for the right area.....Let me know if I can be more help.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623245 02/17/03 09:21 PM
M
minnesota Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Too, thanks for the reply. I think I have a good idea of what is in the area now. I learned that there are Redfish in Braunig and Calaveras. I may have to give thata try being it is really close to the SA area. Thanks again.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623246 02/18/03 01:24 AM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Minnesota, been thinking, which is a stretch for me, I sold my boat back in Nov. But I do a lot of wade fishing. May is a good time to go for Speckled Trout. How about me and you running down EARLY that Sat. W can do some wading and maybe you'll catch a few fish. One thing, with 3 kids and my work schedule, this might change at any time. Got a gal who lives down there, goes by Lady_Red, maybe she could meet us there and do some fishing. Who knows, maybe some others will meet up too. If this interest you, give me a holler on my e-mail after you confirm this. Don't need an excuse to go fishing but sure helps to have another reason to go.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623247 02/18/03 03:38 PM
M
minnesota Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Too, sounds good to me. Sure nice of you to offer. I have chest waders so no problem there. That saltwater fishing is really addictive. I can't tell you how many times I have thought about my trip to Destin Florida last May. I had so much fun. Kids make planning iffy at bestso I understand you planning dillemma. I have a 12 week old son and I haven't fished but one time since he was born. He is worth it. The ice fishing season will be over shortly and I really wonder whether I will make it out before ice out. I will see when exactly the conference dates and times are setup and get back with you when I have a solid scedule. I tend to not attend the drink drink drink socials they put on at these conferences. I always fish instead. I mainly have evenings available to fish but will likely fly down a day early (Saturday)to be able to have a whole day to fish. I would like to fish some saltwater on that Saturday. The evening I will probably try Calaveras Resevoir for some REDS. Last year people thought I was nuts for getting up at 4:00am and fishing. I just laughed being these were the same people I would see drunk as skunks still in the hot tub when I was hitting the water. Some people have some unbalanced priorities. Go Fisgure??

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623248 02/19/03 03:47 AM
C
Cochese Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
minnesota, if I'm still in San Antonio when you come down, I'd be happy to give you some company out at Calaveras or Braunig.

Otherwise, I'll be living around Rockport, and will fish with you and TOO down there.

Heck, I might even know a few spots by that time

Matt "Cochese" Zuniga
Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623249 02/19/03 04:04 AM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Cool as can be! If all things work out hopefully we can get a few more to meet up down there.......was going to buy my next boat soon, but with gas prices the way they are I'm holding off. Do have a chalk outline on the floor of the garage, though.....Need to check the moon phase for that Saturday, if its right the Port Aransas jetties will be hopping with big reds. Know of a few places to wade down there, actually a bunch.....Cochise, you are a S.A. man? what you doing here? School, work ?

[This message has been edited by TOO (edited 02-18-2003).]

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623250 02/19/03 04:16 AM
C
Cochese Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I came to SA to spend a little time with my folks...originally from Laredo, but we lived in Oregon for the last ten years or so. My folks moved back down to SA last summer, and my mom has had a rough time, so I moved down to cheer her up a bit (and fish of course)

I might have a job in Rockport if all things go well (*crosses fingers*) which would really be a long-held dream come true.

Matt "Cochese" Zuniga
Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623251 02/19/03 04:13 PM
M
minnesota Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Too and Cochese, we will have to touch base as my trip gets closer. I will be attending my work conference with two other people who are all pumped up about the golf courses. They asked me why fish when you can play these great courses? I told them if it's nice enough to go golfing I go fishing. Some people just don't get it. Have a good one.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623252 02/21/03 03:14 AM
P
pscottjr Offline
Angler
Angler
P
minnesota, I work at a restaurant on the River Walk. San Antonio should be great fun at that time of year. Please DO NOT miss out on the offer from TOO and Cochese. There is nothing like wade fishing on the Texas Coast. Especially at that time of the year!!!!!!

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623253 02/21/03 03:57 AM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Which restaurant do you work at ps? If you don't mind? Maybe Minn should go over to the old Lone Star brewery and check out those bass and monster cats if they're still there. You want to join us down there for some wading in May?

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623254 02/21/03 05:11 AM
P
pscottjr Offline
Angler
Angler
P
The oldest restaurant on the River Walk. Casa Rio, the one with all of the multi-colored umbrellas. And Schilo's, German food, upstairs, open since 1917 (I have not been there the whole time). If Minnesota needs some help or has questions let me know. The LS brewery has moved and is now the Buckhorn Saloon on Houston St. YES!! go there. It is quit an experience.

In regards to the May 3 trip lets see how things are going on the River Walk. Please keep me informed (email or on forum. I would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 #623255 02/21/03 06:05 AM
R
raw10628 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
If you are going to be in San Antone definately go to the Buckhorn Saloon. It is one of the coolest places to go for an outdoors guru in my opinion. A buddy of my dad's used to run the place when it was still with the Brewery. I have made lots of trips there. Any of you guys ever yak fish down in CC area? I want to bring my yak down there sometime. Wish I could go at the beginning of May with yall, but i'm moving that weekend so I can't make it. Don't catch em all.

raw10628

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide