Texas Fishing Forum

San Antonio may 4-8

Posted By: minnesota

San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/12/03 09:47 PM

I will be at an annual conference May 4-8. I usually have an entire Saturday to do as I please. I always fish. Port Lavaca doesn't look too terribly far to drive from San Antonio (150 miles or so). I am from Minnesota so saltwater fishing is a great treat for me. I was thinking about giving the pier there a try. Can any of you experts out there tell me if that is a good idea or not? Thanks.
Posted By: TOO

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/12/03 11:50 PM

Welcome to the best fishing board in Texas. Also hope you enjoy your stay in San Antonio. First time to S.A.? About your question, I would not go to Port Lavaca...... Would suggest the Corpus Christi area. Its straight down IH 37 from San Antonio. Got all kinds of piers; bay channel, surf. Got bank fishing in areas of Rockport, Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, C.C. it'self, Padre Island, etc.......Would suggest a bay guide or a Gulf trip on a head boat. My first choice would be a bay trip, 'cause May is when the speckled trout fishing is the best. Would cost some money, but you would have a great time..........Now I am going to shamelessly promote myself; I organize hunting and fishing trips. If you are interested in going with a guide, I would be happy to help. Just email me at outdoorstexas@yahoo.com and we can talk......Are you driving to S.A. or flying? Wondering if you'll have fishing tackle with you? BTW, I'm in the San Antonio area.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/13/03 04:17 PM

Warden, thanks for the reply. I will be flying down but renting a car. My saltwater experience has been fishing in Destin Florida last may for a couple of days. I am an avid Minnesota fisherman but don't know squat about saltwater. I brought down a couple of rods spolled up with 10lb test superline and fished 6 1/2 and seven foot med heavy walleye rods throwing gotchas off of the Okaloosa pier. I did very well catching spanish macs, hardtail bluefish, ladyfish, one redfish about 10lbs and one pompono. The biggest fish was the red and a 24 inch spanish mac. Way too much fun on light tackle. I just went to an area baitshop and asked them what I should try and they sent me to the pier. I also did go on a boat for 4 hours fishing king macs. I caught 3 and the biggest was about 20 lbs. It was great and they gave me a spinning rod to use that was lighter than the rods the others used. The only setback on the trip was they wanted you to horse them in and quick. I like to play a little more but never the less it was way fun! One morning on the pier I caught 8 spanish in about 2 hours. One guy next to me hasseled me about my lite tackle when I got there. After I had 5 and he had one hookup that he lost he started asking me what I was doing. I believe it's the lighter line that gives a better presentation. How much of a drive is it from the Waterwalk in San Antonio to Corpus? I will only have one shot at saltwater being the saturday that I arrive will be my only chance to take the time to drive that far. It's a work trip.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/13/03 08:52 PM

From the Riverwalk, it's 147 miles to downtown Corpus Christi. Then about 12 miles to the Padre Island area. 70 mph speed limit all the way to the end of IH37......There is so many places to fish in the CC area. You might look at some of the prevoius post here about the CC area. For a one day shot I would look at a guide for sure. About as close to a sure thing with lots of action. If that's not what you want, then I would hit the surf piers, at Padre Island and Port Aransas. Names are Bob Hall pier and Horace Caldwell pier. Both have web sites that can help you out. Saturdays will be crowdwd everywhere, might look at the Copano Bay pier, north of Rockport. An old highway bridge that's now a fishing pier. Also might want to walk the South Jetty and cast for fish there. That would be the best spot for fishing without knowing much about the area. Best chance to catch fish, if you don't mind searching and looking for the right area.....Let me know if I can be more help.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/17/03 09:21 PM

Too, thanks for the reply. I think I have a good idea of what is in the area now. I learned that there are Redfish in Braunig and Calaveras. I may have to give thata try being it is really close to the SA area. Thanks again.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/18/03 01:24 AM

Minnesota, been thinking, which is a stretch for me, I sold my boat back in Nov. But I do a lot of wade fishing. May is a good time to go for Speckled Trout. How about me and you running down EARLY that Sat. W can do some wading and maybe you'll catch a few fish. One thing, with 3 kids and my work schedule, this might change at any time. Got a gal who lives down there, goes by Lady_Red, maybe she could meet us there and do some fishing. Who knows, maybe some others will meet up too. If this interest you, give me a holler on my e-mail after you confirm this. Don't need an excuse to go fishing but sure helps to have another reason to go.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/18/03 03:38 PM

Too, sounds good to me. Sure nice of you to offer. I have chest waders so no problem there. That saltwater fishing is really addictive. I can't tell you how many times I have thought about my trip to Destin Florida last May. I had so much fun. Kids make planning iffy at bestso I understand you planning dillemma. I have a 12 week old son and I haven't fished but one time since he was born. He is worth it. The ice fishing season will be over shortly and I really wonder whether I will make it out before ice out. I will see when exactly the conference dates and times are setup and get back with you when I have a solid scedule. I tend to not attend the drink drink drink socials they put on at these conferences. I always fish instead. I mainly have evenings available to fish but will likely fly down a day early (Saturday)to be able to have a whole day to fish. I would like to fish some saltwater on that Saturday. The evening I will probably try Calaveras Resevoir for some REDS. Last year people thought I was nuts for getting up at 4:00am and fishing. I just laughed being these were the same people I would see drunk as skunks still in the hot tub when I was hitting the water. Some people have some unbalanced priorities. Go Fisgure??
Posted By: Cochese

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/19/03 03:47 AM

minnesota, if I'm still in San Antonio when you come down, I'd be happy to give you some company out at Calaveras or Braunig.

Otherwise, I'll be living around Rockport, and will fish with you and TOO down there.

Heck, I might even know a few spots by that time

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/19/03 04:04 AM

Cool as can be! If all things work out hopefully we can get a few more to meet up down there.......was going to buy my next boat soon, but with gas prices the way they are I'm holding off. Do have a chalk outline on the floor of the garage, though.....Need to check the moon phase for that Saturday, if its right the Port Aransas jetties will be hopping with big reds. Know of a few places to wade down there, actually a bunch.....Cochise, you are a S.A. man? what you doing here? School, work ?

[This message has been edited by TOO (edited 02-18-2003).]

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/19/03 04:16 AM

I came to SA to spend a little time with my folks...originally from Laredo, but we lived in Oregon for the last ten years or so. My folks moved back down to SA last summer, and my mom has had a rough time, so I moved down to cheer her up a bit (and fish of course)

I might have a job in Rockport if all things go well (*crosses fingers*) which would really be a long-held dream come true.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/19/03 04:13 PM

Too and Cochese, we will have to touch base as my trip gets closer. I will be attending my work conference with two other people who are all pumped up about the golf courses. They asked me why fish when you can play these great courses? I told them if it's nice enough to go golfing I go fishing. Some people just don't get it. Have a good one.
Posted By: pscottjr

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/21/03 03:14 AM

minnesota, I work at a restaurant on the River Walk. San Antonio should be great fun at that time of year. Please DO NOT miss out on the offer from TOO and Cochese. There is nothing like wade fishing on the Texas Coast. Especially at that time of the year!!!!!!

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/21/03 03:57 AM

Which restaurant do you work at ps? If you don't mind? Maybe Minn should go over to the old Lone Star brewery and check out those bass and monster cats if they're still there. You want to join us down there for some wading in May?

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/21/03 05:11 AM

The oldest restaurant on the River Walk. Casa Rio, the one with all of the multi-colored umbrellas. And Schilo's, German food, upstairs, open since 1917 (I have not been there the whole time). If Minnesota needs some help or has questions let me know. The LS brewery has moved and is now the Buckhorn Saloon on Houston St. YES!! go there. It is quit an experience.

In regards to the May 3 trip lets see how things are going on the River Walk. Please keep me informed (email or on forum. I would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: raw10628

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/21/03 06:05 AM

If you are going to be in San Antone definately go to the Buckhorn Saloon. It is one of the coolest places to go for an outdoors guru in my opinion. A buddy of my dad's used to run the place when it was still with the Brewery. I have made lots of trips there. Any of you guys ever yak fish down in CC area? I want to bring my yak down there sometime. Wish I could go at the beginning of May with yall, but i'm moving that weekend so I can't make it. Don't catch em all.

raw10628

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/21/03 04:14 PM

Too, Cochese and Pscottjr, thankks again for thge replies. Pscottjr I will be sure to stop by and have a sandwich and I will look you up. Yeah I have got saltwater fever and can't wait to tie into some specks or redfish. I have been bitten by the saltwater bug and I can't wait to scratch it. Would I be ok with 8lb test mono and a 40 lb leader wadefishing?
Posted By: Txbiker

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/21/03 07:45 PM

Hey Too!!
Can I come too ? I can be there that weekend . I would love it .
BTW- your costa's are in the glove compartment .

------------------
If you don't like they way I'm livin, just leave this long-haired country boy alone

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/22/03 02:16 AM

Minnesota, 8 lb w/a 20 lb leader, either in green or in Fluro would be acceptable. I would recommend 10, or even 12 w/ a 20 lb leader,if you plan on re-spooling before you come on down. Most likely we will be free-lining live shrimp. maybe some soft plastics. If we go to the jetties, I got the heavy stuff, musky type tackle for there. Let me know as you get closer to the date on when you get in to S.A. even in May the fishing is better in the morning, so Sunday may br better.........question, you ever fish Mill Lacs? Fished it this summer while doing some business stuff. Tons of Walleyes up to 27", and a bunch just under and over the lower slot. Believe slot was 14-16". Caught two keepers in 3 days. caught 7 in 26-27" range. Go figure..... did catch three 26's in the consecutive trolls. One before the boat was in gear. Really great fishing there......Txbiker, absolutely, come on down and join us. Got to be a few trout and reds for us there. We'll look at the surf also, might get one of those days when the wind lays. Planning on meeting up with a couple of Captains about some stuff if Minnesota is ok with that. You think he'd be up for a tuna trip? Nah.....don't want to keep him from concentrating during his conference......"I'm telling you, this tuna was a big as a snowmobile" .........
Posted By: wrxmania

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/22/03 02:17 AM

Hey guys, I know i am new here and still haven't met ya'll. But would it be ok if i can join you guys? can I join in Too?

The other day, Too had helped me out with alot of great info and tips. He also mentioned about this thread and he might go fishin with ya'll.

so i was wondering maybe if i can join you guys and have some fun. want to learn to wade and get some experience and have a great time.

just let me know and keep me posted or email me. thanks.

- Duke

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/22/03 04:53 AM

Sounds like this is turning into a full-blown TFF event

"The more the merrier" I always say!

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/22/03 02:14 PM

WR, absolutely. Like Cochese said, the more the merrier. Full moon is May 1st. That puts the tides kinda late for good fishing for reds on the jetties. Can be done but not as good timing. Thinking of either fish pass, CC elbow, Portland shoreline, the surf, or maybr even Longs reef, over in Fulton. Got some other areas also, but will have to wait 'til we get closer to the day.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/22/03 08:08 PM

Surf fishing in summer is just plain fun

After living in Oregon for 10 years, I'm ready to get back into the tepid Gulf water

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/24/03 06:18 PM

Too, whatever you guys decide you want to do is fine with me. I just love to fish and it is impossible for me to be unhappy while wetting a line. Mille lacs is about 45 miles from my house and my brother and I do fish it from time to time. Glad you got to do some fishing when you were up here. A guy doesn't always have a chance to fish a world class fishery when doing a business trip. Way top take advantage of your travel.
Posted By: wrxmania

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/24/03 11:07 PM

Thanks Too. that would be great.
just keep me posted...
Posted By: Exude

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/25/03 12:14 AM

Ok Ok I have to ask I have been reading this post everyday and i wanna come too. If there is room let me know. Minnesota I am in Seguin which is not far from SA if I get approval we might meet up and ride down together. Talk to ya'll soon.
Brandon

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/25/03 12:32 AM

Exude, of course your welcome to join in. Of course we should ask Minnesoat if its ok, he started this by just wanting to fish. It's all for a good cause, to catch some fish and show Minnesota a Texas welcome. Just hope them fish know to be there.
Posted By: Exude

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/25/03 01:08 AM

Well that sounds great I will wait to hear from Minnesota. In may I won't need waders will I? I have yet to buy a pair but I might get a set if I am going to come down in two weeks. Renting a boat is too expensive to do too often so I think wading or kayaking is going to become a part of my fishing repetoire.
Exude

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/25/03 04:12 AM

I don't use waders in May. Water gets a little nippy at certain points of the body, though. I wear worn out dockers in green, and if the wind is cool a wind breaker, jogging suit top, over a sweat top. If it's warm enough, just a shirt. I always bring both for May wading. More important to me a good pair of wading boots. I always had mine in my boat.'Til I sold it, now I got nowhere to put them. They need a saltwater bath.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/26/03 04:45 PM

I am game for whoever wants to fish is just fine with me. Also whoever I can give a lift to is welcome to ride along with me.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/27/03 04:00 AM

Well you heard it from the Minnesota man himself. So all aboard! We'll let Minn. decide which day is best and we'll all meet up somewhere. I'll do a little pre-Minnesota trip scouting. Figure, as I said, Fish Pas area or maybe up by Fulton, maybe Portland shoreline. Speaking of wading i've been hearing a lot about Oso Bay, and might just soon see if the trout are in there as thick as they say.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 02/28/03 03:53 AM

Well, this all sounds great. How will we all know when, where to meet, etc. Since it sounds that many of us will be coming from the SA area maybe we should meet in SA and drive down together?

TOO, when are going down to "scout"? Other of us may be going down near that time and can report our findings to improve our efforts!

FYI - went down last weekend and got blown around with the winds. No luck. When the winds laid we had the girls with us and couldn't get to the locations we wanted. Oh well.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/05/03 03:56 PM

Too and company. I will be down in SA on Saturday May 3. I haven't booked a hotel or flight yet. The reason being is I want to see what out tentative plan is as far as what time we want to hit the water. I mean if you don't change your travel plans for fishing what would you ever change them for?? Too what time do you think would be best to be hitting the water. I am already daydreaming about feeling some weight and hearing some drag screaming.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/06/03 03:37 AM

minnesota, would be a good idea to get your room, hotel decided. The hotel book up on the weekends in may. Prom, etc, the closer you are to downtoen the closer your are to the coast, fishing. I suspect that we will have already attack Iraq and will be cleaning up. Airline flights may get cheaper. Hotels are a different story as many locals, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Mexican Nationals visit our city at the end of April into May. Great Weather!!!

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/06/03 04:29 AM

I would say we go early Sunday if you get in on Saturday.Would suggest we leave about 3:30 am Sunday, gets us there around 6:00 by the time we get bait, and travel through to the fishing grounds. Lord knows there'll be a bunch of folks buying bait that morning. Plan on you doing some free-lining live shrimp. If this is your only chance at saltwater fishing I recommend live bait for the best chance to hook up with some fish......I got an extra bait bucket, and plenty of Kahle hooks the right size for free-lining. Even got an extra rod for you to use if you don't want to mess with bringing one down. Got plenty of soft plastics and jigs if that turns out to be the case......jr, don't know when for scouting, right now I'm in dry dock and won't be out for a while. Think a few preseason trips for WR, Cochise, and you might help us see how it goes. I won't know more til the end of March about anything in April, royally stinks but thats the hand I was dealt and I"ll play it out...... TXBIKER!!!!!!, you out there????? You joinng this trail ride? Got to get you onto some fish........Anybody else?

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/06/03 04:28 PM

I am locked and loaded. I will be staying at the Westin Lacantera in SA. The address is 420 Market Street San Antonio, Texas 78205. Can't wait.
Posted By: Henry

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/15/03 09:59 PM

Any room for me to tag along

I live in SA and would love to try some fishing?

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/16/03 04:28 AM

Henry, as far as I'm concerned you welcome. Minnesota is the one who is the stranger to Texas fishing, so I would see if he's cool with it. He has said "more the merrier", but don't want him to feel overwhelmed. See what you started, Minnesota! simple question leads to a fishing rush!.......Henry, as far as going all we expect is you to be helpful or patient for those that are either less or more experienced. I don't know how any of the others are on wade fishing, I would put my level at average. Done it a while. If you need assisiance, or have points to offer, please sing out. I take my fishing serious but not myself. Hope you can make it, Minnesota willing........Minnesota, you ok with Sunday morning? All day thing? Want to use a rod or you packing your own? Let us know what you need or want I'll see if I can come up with it......Been some weird weather lately, hope the water starts to warm up.......For all looking to go in April, the 3 days before the new moon usually is the time for huge trout. See if you can go around then.

Re: San Antonio may 4-8 - 03/17/03 06:06 PM

Sunday it is then. The more the merrier. I have never wadefished saltwater but have wadefished since I was eight years old so I should be ok watching how some of you rig up and what technique folks are using. I will bring a couple of rods down. Really looking forward to it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum