Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: wind [Re: Uncle Zeek] #3386866 04/24/09 04:23 AM
E
eleanor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
When the wind is that bad -- stay home -- unless you are very experienced, very lucky, or have a good sized center console.

As others have said -- there is always another day to fish --- if there isn't, it won't matter to you anyway.

Re: wind [Re: Uncle Zeek] #3389227 04/24/09 09:25 PM
B
bigtexnick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Zeek the Greek
To quote others on here "The wind is your friend".

it may be the fisherman's friend, but wind is not the boater's friend.

t-mac, i've had my 18 foot bass boat for a few months now and i can tell you, wind sucks. my general rule of thumb is that i don't go out if winds exceed 15mph. wind ruins fishing, makes me focus more on steering the boat, and gets me wet... now if you know of a cove/cut/sleugh you want to fish in, and the wind is not blowing straight into it, then you'll probably be fine. but i'm telling you, wind may be better for fishing in general, but it's very frustrating trying to navigate across waves and high rollers to reach your fishing spot. my choice is to avoid it altogether and wait for a less windy day.

good luck.

--Nick smirk
Re: wind [Re: bigtexnick] #3389536 04/24/09 10:47 PM
C
crapykrazy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
it seems latly waiting for a less windy day leaves you sitting at the house alot mabey its me but its windy all the time mabey 1 or 2 days a week if your lucky is it getting worse or do i just notice it more. if the wind is just a pain i go if its dangerous i stay home.

Re: wind [Re: crapykrazy] #3393082 04/26/09 12:21 PM
B
billybobbass Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
wind= better fishing

Re: wind [Re: crapykrazy] #3393117 04/26/09 12:46 PM
S
storm0348 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I have to agree with nitro..if you have to ask your self if its to windy its more than likly to windy. The chance of something going very bad has to triple in these conditions?? Trust me even very experienced boaters are not immune to the elements, not to mention all the darn work involved to stay on the fish. Not alot of fun in my personal experiences. When it gets this windy, and this time of year, I hit the wind blown points from the bank... me, and a buddy got over a hundred good sized sandies last night, going again today. Hopefully I'll be back in the boat soon, when the winds dye down, and its much more enjoyable.

Re: wind [Re: storm0348] #3393256 04/26/09 02:20 PM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I am real tired of it bang

Re: wind [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #3393850 04/26/09 06:21 PM
S
SteveStrasemeier Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
ME TOO! I'm getting a little tired of fishing Rowlett Creek, want to get back to the lake. That creek has such high banks and thick tree cover that there was barely a ripple on the water yesterday.

Re: wind [Re: storm0348] #3400128 04/28/09 02:53 AM
M
Mark S Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: storm0348
I have to agree with nitro..if you have to ask your self if its to windy its more than likly to windy. ...

Your loss! I ask myself if is too windy almost every morning I get up to go fishing.
We went on Sunday and had the BEST DAY WE HAVE EVER HAD (on LL). We caught 10 huge Hybrids (10 in boat 4 more got away.) Caught my personal best and then another PB just after that. Biggest one got away right at boat. Buddy caught his PB also. Smallest one was right at 20.5".

we were making comments about your comment (if you have to ask yourself...) an came to the conclusion that it was WAY safer on lewisville in the 15 to 25 wind than it is in the summer when there are many 40 foot boats going in all directions waking up the lake on half plane, Jet fleas flying around between us and the shore and the wake boat idiots with 300 gallons of water in the back of boat to create extra waves. Not to mention we didnt get hasseled by even one drunk idiot or inspected by game warden.

Overall it was a great day in a 16 foot Lund. You guys that bought a bass boat (We call them water scoops) sorry shoulda got something with taller Gunwales (gunnels) and a deeper V! I wish I didnt have to work this week. I am jonesing to go back out WIND OR NOT. I will post pics later.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here!
Re: wind [Re: Mark S] #3400993 04/28/09 01:20 PM
"
"Da" NITRO Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
"
Originally Posted By: Mark S
I have to agree with nitro..if you have to ask your self if its to windy its more than likly to windy. ...

Your loss! I ask myself if is too windy almost every morning I get up to go fishing.
We went on Sunday and had the BEST DAY WE HAVE EVER HAD (on LL). We caught 10 huge Hybrids (10 in boat 4 more got away.) Caught my personal best and then another PB just after that. Biggest one got away right at boat. Buddy caught his PB also. Smallest one was right at 20.5".

we were making comments about your comment (if you have to ask yourself...) an came to the conclusion that it was WAY safer on lewisville in the 15 to 25 wind than it is in the summer when there are many 40 foot boats going in all directions waking up the lake on half plane, Jet fleas flying around between us and the shore and the wake boat idiots with 300 gallons of water in the back of boat to create extra waves. Not to mention we didnt get hasseled by even one drunk idiot or inspected by game warden.

Overall it was a great day in a 16 foot Lund. You guys that bought a bass boat (We call them water scoops) sorry shoulda got something with taller Gunwales (gunnels) and a deeper V! I wish I didnt have to work this week. I am jonesing to go back out WIND OR NOT. I will post pics later.

eeks Holy cow, calm down there Mr. Lund owner, the rest of us just have water scoops, so we can't keep up with you laugh What was your personal best hybrid you caught(lbs & inches)? And are you going to post pics? It's always good to see big hybrids thumb

Re: wind [Re: Mark S] #3401013 04/28/09 01:24 PM
B
Bhenneman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Mark S

I hear that...a $40k bass boat kinda goes to waste if it cant handle the rough water...however they're alot of fun if the water's calm..the wind sucks, PERIOD! I've been fishing the main lake out of our Cobalt instead of the Ranger which is no bueno..

Re: wind [Re: Bhenneman] #3401611 04/28/09 03:41 PM
J
jcav Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The wind last weekend was a nightmare.

Jordan

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Re: wind [Re: jcav] #3405589 04/29/09 04:19 AM
M
Mark S Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Sorry I was just excited as we had some sorry days on lewisville since Jan, March. BUT Not Sunday. Finally Lewisville starts being good again.

Mark
Didn't get weights. Ruler only went to 24"
My best had a near legal sandy in its stomach!
laugh

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide