Texas Fishing Forum

wind

Posted By: T-MAC

wind - 04/23/09 01:49 PM

bang Is 20 to 30 to much wind or can it be fished like maybe in a cove What is your opinion on this
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: wind - 04/23/09 02:01 PM

To quote others on here "The wind is your friend".

The wind stirs up the plankton & such that the shad & minnows feed on - pushes it all toward the windblown shores. The baitfish follow, and the predators are close behind. Really depends on your boat, equipment & experience. There's plenty of protected coves, bays and the like on most lakes.

We were out yesterday & coped with the wind by using driftsocks or anchoring as appropriate. We also weren't trying to break speed records getting through the waves. One safety tip I might offer is to leave your motor running (unless you have a TM on your boat) - the short time it takes to start the motor can be critical when big waves are rolling towards you.
Posted By: Markk

Re: wind - 04/23/09 02:06 PM

Depends what kinds of boat you have, launch, which lake, and which direction the wind is coming from in relation to how the lake is layed out. Center console boats can take 20mph winds if you know how to operate in those conditions. Bass boat, forget it. Much over that, I would not venture out into center of lake. If the winds are coming from a direction that allows the waves to pick up over a long distance, I'd think twice. Careful about launching. (i.e You dont want to launch from a north facing ramp if the winds are out of the north). Dont ask me why I used the north facing example... hammer Look for a protected launch. Coves should be ok.
Posted By: retiredredleg

Re: wind - 04/23/09 02:24 PM

I'm not experienced with my boat. Therefore I'm very cautious of the wind. Went to Grapevine on Sunday during the very strong wind and fished from the bank on the North side and caught quite a few Sandies and LMB. But I would not even have consisdered taking the boat out. Waited until Monday when I was off and the wind was calm and had a great time on the boat. Hit and miss opportunities for me. If I gotta fish and the wind is up - I choose the bank and still catch some. Just my 2 cents.

Be safe.
Posted By: T-MAC

Re: wind - 04/23/09 02:42 PM

I'm thinking of going Friday night and early sat morning only. I think the wind are sopose to be 25 and 30 till sat around noon Im hoping to beet it
Posted By: gottabefishn

Re: wind - 04/23/09 03:05 PM

[quote=Markk]Depends what kinds of boat you have, launch, which lake, and which direction the wind is coming from in relation to how the lake is layed out. Center consoles boat cant take 20mph winds if you know how to operate in those conditions. Bass boat, forget it.

I think you meant can take...

I've been in 20 MPH winds in my boat and Big Dad's - mine is only 19' his is 22' ( Both are CC's ) I'd rather be in the bigger boat if it's blowing that hard. wink Personally I don't like to work that hard it makes it harder to stay on the humps, and I'm not much into drifting even with a drift sock. This is the time of year that fish are truing on and so is the wind. If you must go out be sure you have your PFD on and kill switch hooked to it. It does not take much to sink a boat! scared

Re: wind - 04/23/09 03:19 PM

oops... blush yep
Posted By: gottabefishn

Re: wind - 04/23/09 05:00 PM

Click here:

NOAA
Posted By: tampc

Re: wind - 04/23/09 05:04 PM

I would say stay home tobe safe.
I will make more slap

Re: wind - 04/23/09 05:22 PM

For what it's worth, my boat is staying on the trailer today. Maybe tomorrow ...
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: wind - 04/23/09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: T-MAC
bang Is 20 to 30 to much wind or can it be fished like maybe in a cove What is your opinion on this

I always say that if you have to ask yourself if it's to windy to fish, than it's too windy to fish. If you like fishing just to fish and not catch anything, you can either fish out of the wind on windy days or just go to Lake Ouachita smile

Re: wind - 04/23/09 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: --NITRO--
or just go to Lake Ouachita smile

Someones a$$ still smarts from a whoopin eh? rolfmao
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: wind - 04/23/09 08:33 PM

It is probably not worth the risk. I fished Tawakoni this morning with a group from Houston that I have been with the last two days. Rescheduling for them was not an option because of their drive. The lake wasn't bad at 6:30, but by 9am it was really bad, even in a 24' boat. We came in early and I have rescheduled another group that was planned for tomorrow. Might want to play it safe. There will always be another day to fish. Make a plan and wear your vest if you do go out. Let someone know where you will be.

Re: wind - 04/23/09 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Markk
Originally Posted By: --NITRO--
or just go to Lake Ouachita smile

Someones a$$ still smarts from a whoopin eh? rolfmao

Uh, that is an understatement whip

Re: wind - 04/24/09 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: *Lakeguide*
Make a plan and wear your vest if you do go out. Let someone know where you will be.

Truer words were never spoken. The redhead REQUIRES me to give her an estimated float plan of where I expect to be on the lake, and to text her if I go somewhere dramatically different. This is, in her words: 'so I know where to send the search & rescue teams when you're stupid enough to go out in bad weather'.

Seriously, it's always good to have someone know approximately where you'll be & when to expect you back.
Posted By: eleanor

Re: wind - 04/24/09 04:23 AM

When the wind is that bad -- stay home -- unless you are very experienced, very lucky, or have a good sized center console.

As others have said -- there is always another day to fish --- if there isn't, it won't matter to you anyway.
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: wind - 04/24/09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Zeek the Greek
To quote others on here "The wind is your friend".

it may be the fisherman's friend, but wind is not the boater's friend.

t-mac, i've had my 18 foot bass boat for a few months now and i can tell you, wind sucks. my general rule of thumb is that i don't go out if winds exceed 15mph. wind ruins fishing, makes me focus more on steering the boat, and gets me wet... now if you know of a cove/cut/sleugh you want to fish in, and the wind is not blowing straight into it, then you'll probably be fine. but i'm telling you, wind may be better for fishing in general, but it's very frustrating trying to navigate across waves and high rollers to reach your fishing spot. my choice is to avoid it altogether and wait for a less windy day.

good luck.
Posted By: crapykrazy

Re: wind - 04/24/09 10:47 PM

it seems latly waiting for a less windy day leaves you sitting at the house alot mabey its me but its windy all the time mabey 1 or 2 days a week if your lucky is it getting worse or do i just notice it more. if the wind is just a pain i go if its dangerous i stay home.
Posted By: billybobbass

Re: wind - 04/26/09 12:21 PM

wind= better fishing
Posted By: storm0348

Re: wind - 04/26/09 12:46 PM

I have to agree with nitro..if you have to ask your self if its to windy its more than likly to windy. The chance of something going very bad has to triple in these conditions?? Trust me even very experienced boaters are not immune to the elements, not to mention all the darn work involved to stay on the fish. Not alot of fun in my personal experiences. When it gets this windy, and this time of year, I hit the wind blown points from the bank... me, and a buddy got over a hundred good sized sandies last night, going again today. Hopefully I'll be back in the boat soon, when the winds dye down, and its much more enjoyable.
Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Re: wind - 04/26/09 02:20 PM

I am real tired of it bang
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: wind - 04/26/09 06:21 PM

ME TOO! I'm getting a little tired of fishing Rowlett Creek, want to get back to the lake. That creek has such high banks and thick tree cover that there was barely a ripple on the water yesterday.
Posted By: Mark S

Re: wind - 04/28/09 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: storm0348
I have to agree with nitro..if you have to ask your self if its to windy its more than likly to windy. ...

Your loss! I ask myself if is too windy almost every morning I get up to go fishing.
We went on Sunday and had the BEST DAY WE HAVE EVER HAD (on LL). We caught 10 huge Hybrids (10 in boat 4 more got away.) Caught my personal best and then another PB just after that. Biggest one got away right at boat. Buddy caught his PB also. Smallest one was right at 20.5".

we were making comments about your comment (if you have to ask yourself...) an came to the conclusion that it was WAY safer on lewisville in the 15 to 25 wind than it is in the summer when there are many 40 foot boats going in all directions waking up the lake on half plane, Jet fleas flying around between us and the shore and the wake boat idiots with 300 gallons of water in the back of boat to create extra waves. Not to mention we didnt get hasseled by even one drunk idiot or inspected by game warden.

Overall it was a great day in a 16 foot Lund. You guys that bought a bass boat (We call them water scoops) sorry shoulda got something with taller Gunwales (gunnels) and a deeper V! I wish I didnt have to work this week. I am jonesing to go back out WIND OR NOT. I will post pics later.

Re: wind - 04/28/09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark S
I have to agree with nitro..if you have to ask your self if its to windy its more than likly to windy. ...

Your loss! I ask myself if is too windy almost every morning I get up to go fishing.
We went on Sunday and had the BEST DAY WE HAVE EVER HAD (on LL). We caught 10 huge Hybrids (10 in boat 4 more got away.) Caught my personal best and then another PB just after that. Biggest one got away right at boat. Buddy caught his PB also. Smallest one was right at 20.5".

we were making comments about your comment (if you have to ask yourself...) an came to the conclusion that it was WAY safer on lewisville in the 15 to 25 wind than it is in the summer when there are many 40 foot boats going in all directions waking up the lake on half plane, Jet fleas flying around between us and the shore and the wake boat idiots with 300 gallons of water in the back of boat to create extra waves. Not to mention we didnt get hasseled by even one drunk idiot or inspected by game warden.

Overall it was a great day in a 16 foot Lund. You guys that bought a bass boat (We call them water scoops) sorry shoulda got something with taller Gunwales (gunnels) and a deeper V! I wish I didnt have to work this week. I am jonesing to go back out WIND OR NOT. I will post pics later.

eeks Holy cow, calm down there Mr. Lund owner, the rest of us just have water scoops, so we can't keep up with you laugh What was your personal best hybrid you caught(lbs & inches)? And are you going to post pics? It's always good to see big hybrids thumb
Posted By: Bhenneman

Re: wind - 04/28/09 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark S

I hear that...a $40k bass boat kinda goes to waste if it cant handle the rough water...however they're alot of fun if the water's calm..the wind sucks, PERIOD! I've been fishing the main lake out of our Cobalt instead of the Ranger which is no bueno..
Posted By: jcav

Re: wind - 04/28/09 03:41 PM

The wind last weekend was a nightmare.
Posted By: Mark S

Re: wind - 04/29/09 04:19 AM

Sorry I was just excited as we had some sorry days on lewisville since Jan, March. BUT Not Sunday. Finally Lewisville starts being good again.

Mark
Didn't get weights. Ruler only went to 24"
My best had a near legal sandy in its stomach!
laugh

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum