Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,215
Posts13,961,112
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Looking for crappie on a different lake! Fall is here! #14134336 09/18/21 10:24 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K

Re: Looking for crappie on a different lake! Fall is here! [Re: KidKrappie] #14134913 09/19/21 06:41 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
keep in mind, just because the calendar says fall is almost here, doesnt mean the fish know it. The shad wont go shallow until the water cools down alot more. shad are very sensitive to temps and light. . just a few degrees can make them move. I will keep fishing the summer pattern until water temp falls. Once the water temp falls I will look for shad in the back of windblown creeks, and windblown banklines. The plankton and daphnia will be in these areas and the shad follow.
Many believe there is also a fall spawn, I believe there are at least 2 shad spawns a year, likely more, because look at how many different sizes of shad we see throughout the year.
Before the fish go shallow, there will be a transition period come and it will get tough . Fish will scatter around the lake, and so will the baitfish. this may happen with the mild upcoming cool front., If it gets hot again, fish will go back to a late summer location, 12 to 16 feet on most lakes. water temp on lake I fish is still 92 degrees. . you want to look shallow at around 70 degree water temp. Crappie may stay on the late summer pattern all the way thru october. if october is a hot month they will stay deeper . Alot of times this turns the situation into a nightime bite, and its very tough daytime fishing. with the baitfish being large, the crappie wont feed as much in daytime. when nightime hours become longer than daytime hours, is usually a time when things begin to shift. The water has more time to cool down then the sun has to heat it up. this is when I recognize the fall season as far a fishing is concerned.
The fall mentality seems to be the same as spring mentality, but its not how it works. The concept of time is of HUMAN constuct. not natures.
soon shad will start schooling in medium sized schools, roaming around the entire lake, and rise in the water column as the water cools and the sunlight brightness decreases. . when nightime temps stay cold enough , long enough, the transition will begin., The cooler it gets the larger the schools will get. shad are hanging in very small schools right now, and are scattered around lakes, mostly near the bottom in shady places like bridges, near stumps and trees. Because the shad are large, crappie dont need to feed as often. they are finicky right now. I would pick off the aggressive fish at each spot then move.
Yesterday I watched fish that were holding very tight to brush, swim out and look at my bait, then swim back into the pile. I saw some come out, bite the bait, but not eat it, then return into the pile. if we harrassed them enough we could get as few to eat the jig. it was just a few fish per location. That is the pattern. The fish dictate the pattern not the fisherman or the calender.
I think its going to be at least 3 weeks before we see the fish go shallow on brush and begin thier feast up for winter. JMO

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Looking for crappie on a different lake! Fall is here! [Re: KidKrappie] #14135026 09/19/21 08:46 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
good stuff,.. thumb

Re: Looking for crappie on a different lake! Fall is here! [Re: KidKrappie] #14135097 09/19/21 09:37 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Leanin, I hear ya for sure. I believe you are further south correct? The water here is 78 as of last trip and the fish are shallow and feeding once found. It just goes to show how different things can be across the state

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide