Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Wake boats [Re: Tiltman] #14054760 07/07/21 03:42 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Really sad deal. people. if you cannot swim wear a life jacket. I don't even want to get started on how I feel about wake boats.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054816 07/07/21 04:20 PM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
haven't fished grapevine in 10 years probably. last time I went out I got swamped three different times. twice I never saw them coming at me.
I used to fish the vine everyday.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054858 07/07/21 04:40 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
some of you guys on here bashing wakeboard folks act like you havent seen a shotgun start at a bass tournament there are very few things more unsafe on the water . it is by a miracle there arent more folks wrecked in those .

Re: Wake boats [Re: ssmith] #14054896 07/07/21 05:01 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ssmith
some of you guys on here bashing wakeboard folks act like you havent seen a shotgun start at a bass tournament there are very few things more unsafe on the water . it is by a miracle there arent more folks wrecked in those .

Is that where they shoot shotguns at competitors as they're leaving the dock? C'mon, man....there are very few of those anymore and at least the folks know what to expect and you can usually ride a wave outta the hole. But to hit 4 and 5 foot rollers that continue across the whole stretch of a lake is what we're talking here. You never see them coming. If you're fishing, you have to stop and turn boat in the direction to not be swamped, and if you're running, you're doomed any way you turn. Wakeboats are the biggest nuisance and liability that I've seen in my 40+ years of avid fishing. It's just not fun anymore because of those darned boats!

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054902 07/07/21 05:03 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
The waves coming from the surf/wake boats are spaced differently, roll differently, and travel much farther than wakes coming off other types of boats. A buddy said he almost lost his passenger out of his 18ft Champ at Amistad a while back. Said he just couldn't see them until it was too late. I thought he was FOS until the same thing happened to me an hour later. They don't "peak" like other boat wakes. They are a hazard, cause damage, and just plain selfish/rude. They want waves, go to the middle of the lake and stay there.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Okie Poke] #14054925 07/07/21 05:15 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

Is that where they shoot shotguns at competitors as they're leaving the dock? C'mon, man....there are very few of those anymore and at least the folks know what to expect and you can usually ride a wave outta the hole. But to hit 4 and 5 foot rollers that continue across the whole stretch of a lake is what we're talking here. You never see them coming. If you're fishing, you have to stop and turn boat in the direction to not be swamped, and if you're running, you're doomed any way you turn. Wakeboats are the biggest nuisance and liability that I've seen in my 40+ years of avid fishing. It's just not fun anymore because of those darned boats!

Gotta agree w Okie on this one

Re: Wake boats [Re: Okie Poke] #14054930 07/07/21 05:17 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R

Exactly. Years ago, when I wasn't really familiar with wake boats, I was fishing on Cedar Creek. I saw a boat go by me at least a quarter of a mile away, but didn't pay much attention. Not long after that as I was turned to the side fishing a wave lifted me high enough that I almost fell out of the boat when it slammed down. The second wave came over the bow and hit me above the ankles, swamping my boat. I was fighting mad and wondered how and why people are allowed to operate something like that on the lake. Later that day I was sitting down retying when waves (wakes) from another boat hundreds of yard away swamped me again.

As for "it's just their way of enjoying the lake, they have a right to do what they enjoy, too" I have joked to guys I know that when I win the Powerball I am going to buy a decommissioned Navy PT boat, put it in Cypress Springs or Cedar Creek, and drive it near wake boats to see if I can swamp or flip them. When someone gives me a hard time about it I will just point out that that is how I enjoy the lake.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Razorback] #14054941 07/07/21 05:28 PM
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Razorback

Exactly. Years ago, when I wasn't really familiar with wake boats, I was fishing on Cedar Creek. I saw a boat go by me at least a quarter of a mile away, but didn't pay much attention. Not long after that as I was turned to the side fishing a wave lifted me high enough that I almost fell out of the boat when it slammed down. The second wave came over the bow and hit me above the ankles, swamping my boat. I was fighting mad and wondered how and why people are allowed to operate something like that on the lake. Later that day I was sitting down retying when waves (wakes) from another boat hundreds of yard away swamped me again.

As for "it's just their way of enjoying the lake, they have a right to do what they enjoy, too" I have joked to guys I know that when I win the Powerball I am going to buy a decommissioned Navy PT boat, put it in Cypress Springs or Cedar Creek, and drive it near wake boats to see if I can swamp or flip them. When someone gives me a hard time about it I will just point out that that is how I enjoy the lake.

Yep I bout got ran over by a ski boat right next to a seawall on Saturday at Cedar Creek. This cool cat and about 8 women in a ski boat were coming full plane and I had to do a donut bc they weren’t moving. They were 10 foot from the wall full plane and almost took me out. Didn’t look at me as they went by. Didn’t care. Probably 3 sheets to the wind

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054947 07/07/21 05:30 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Tragic event for sure and yes the wakes can be dangerous for others on the water but I feel there is some over-exaggerating coming out of this. Wake boats don't make 4 to 5 foot rollers. If you've been on one ever or watch a wake surfing video, they are maybe 3 foot max wakes. If they come off a break wall and are choppy it is a nightmare to drive through. Go fish Lake Austin on a weekend. I have never been swamped by a wake boat in a 18-19 footer and they have waked real close to me. I am not saying it didn't happen to anyone but I feel getting swamped in a fishing boat/bass boat by a wake boat is a bit much to believe.

Wake boats and jet skis suck to us fisherman, but they are just an obstacle to our own type of enjoyment. They will not ever be illegal, pay more attention when you are on the water.
2cents

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054985 07/07/21 06:02 PM
T
Too Fat 2 Fish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Wave height is not the only consideration. Their waves are also more powerful due to the volume of water displaced at low speeds vs being on plane. Waves travel farther too

http://cdalakepoa.com/uploads/3/6/4/3/36431208/technical_summary_finalpdf.pdf

Last edited by Too Fat 2 Fish; 07/07/21 06:08 PM.
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14055011 07/07/21 06:17 PM
H
Hookem Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
The only waves we endured last Friday night on Lake Austin was when nine law enforcement boats ( and a couple of helos) streamed on by to help some shloub who seemed to have problems negotiating ledges on top of Bongo Hill.

Our heads are always on a swivel.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Too Fat 2 Fish] #14055023 07/07/21 06:27 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Too Fat 2 Fish
Wave height is not the only consideration. Their waves are also more powerful due to the volume of water displaced at low speeds vs being on plane. Waves travel farther too

http://cdalakepoa.com/uploads/3/6/4/3/36431208/technical_summary_finalpdf.pdf

From your linked article:

"Small craft advisories are issued on waterways in much of the US for waves the size that can be generated by wake/surf
boats (4 feet or more) (US Coast Guard)"

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14055040 07/07/21 06:46 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Wake Boats...a subject that does make my eyes roll. nuts
Being I mainly fish a river chain and the width is not like normal size lakes. When wake boats come storming through it's not a pretty site. I have watch dock furniture washed off and into the water because of the waves. I have seen soil/bank erosion caused by these type boats.
I have no worries about pontoon boats, jet skis waves, the problem with them at times are the drivers, especially the jet skis when they are steered by young teenagers with high testosterone. I at times even welcome their waves if the river is not pulling water from the dams, just to get so water movement. So, its not that I am anti any boats other than bass boats. In fact they can create some nice wave action, including my own boat since i do run a 20+ ft boat with a 250 hp on it. I do try to be as cautious as possible when running my main engine and attempt to create the smallest wave interference as possible to others.
The problem with wake boats it seems to me is they known they are causing everyone a problem and they enjoy doing it. It is almost like they want to known as the "king" of the water and they will dictate how you operate your boat when around them.
I have watch them go by me as I am fishing a dock or the bank and watch them all point at me and laugh as I start to batten down the hatches and prepare be hit by their waves. I will usually start turning 3/4 into their waves and stop fishing to handle those waves coming toward me. When going across the lake and I see one ahead, I will always look for a route to get as far away from them as possible. Sometimes I might even have to slow down so much as to stay far behind them until I see a clear view ahead to go wide and far away. I will see them all wait in anticipation for me to go pass them as they now enjoy the fact that have caused me and many other boaters so much hassle to go by them.
What really makes me wonder is I rarely ever seen them with a person on a wake board behind them skiing? It's like they only have that boat for a prestige reason and a controlling factor.
Yea.... wake boats are my main issues on the water, I dislike them and will do everything possible to not have any interaction with those boats or those people who have them. I have seen enough of their antics and actions on the boats to tell me everything I need to know and that is someone i have no use to spend time with.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14055079 07/07/21 07:33 PM
T
TKOutdoorsman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Very sad indeed to hear that tragedy.
I think some of the problem today is most people can't swim, and to top it off, they think they can and won't wear a PFD because it's not cool. I know every situation is different, but that is so sad to hear.
I was a Scout leader for 20 years as well as a certified life guard for the Troop. I would always make the boys take a swim test before every water outing, as well as the "adults". You wouldn't believe the throw back I would get from parents of why their sons had to take a swim test. Fine, no test, no going on the river trip.
At the swim test, I would cringe at what I saw. I would give every opportunity for them to pass. Boy's crying and struggling to pass a basic swim test. Big boys do the float test better and skinny boys sink I can tell you that. All the while mothers were mad at me for making them struggle through it. Well guess, what?. That test was also for me to know who to keep an eye on while on the outing. When I would ask the young men before a test, "Who here knows how to swim?" everyone would raise their hands. I tell you it's not true.
Back about 1970 at Camp Carter one off the campers lost his life in the lake. He was wearing on of those old ski rings and slipped right through. I'm glad they got rid of those.
Teach your kids to swim!

Re: Wake boats [Re: MagFluker] #14055088 07/07/21 07:44 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by MagFluker
I am not saying it didn't happen to anyone but I feel getting swamped in a fishing boat/bass boat by a wake boat is a bit much to believe.

I was fishing in the stained water upriver on Alan Henry once when a wakeboat came around a point within casting distance of me.

All I could do was point the bow torwards the waves and move to the back of the boat. When my bow came crashing down after the first wave, I took a wave over my bow that put enough water in my boat to set off my auto inflate PFD.

I fish out of a 22' Skeeter CC, so its not very hard for me to believe.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide