Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gar in neighborhood lake #13954416 04/10/21 12:21 AM
M
MONSTER2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Does anyone know if the companies that manage neighborhood lakes ever stock gar? I’ve never seen a gar in the local lake I fish, and for the past 2 days they’re everywhere. The swim and feed like a pack of wolves through the shallow plants. I watched a guy use a net and he caught 3 decent sized ones in one try (released).

I’m wondering if they were added to the lake for some sort of benefit, or if they’ve always been there but all of a sudden have become active. I don’t know what else in these lakes are so over abundant that they would need to be controlled, except maybe the turtles.

Attached Files AAF56260-D08A-4C7B-8903-D22E7E2AFA84.jpegBA74DC0F-AD86-48B1-9E8B-53F964C7FD00.jpeg
Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13954435 04/10/21 12:37 AM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
they bunch up in shallows during the spring to spawn.. they are usually deeper so you don't really see them except when they are feeding in the shallows.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 04/10/21 12:38 AM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: Bruce Allen] #13954704 04/10/21 04:00 AM
M
MONSTER2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Good to know...thanks for the education. They seem ravenous at the moment, unaware of what’s going on around them. I tapped one on the back w my rod this afternoon and it didn’t even flinch. The other end of the lake is deeper. I guess they’ve been hanging out over there until recently.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13954705 04/10/21 04:02 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
It would surprise me if gar would be stocked in a neighborhood lake. Eggs had to transferred there by other means via birds etc. Some could have been released there after being caught at a different water body. Also if the lake is fed by a creek they could have entered in through the creek. noidea Anyway enjoy them. They are very good fighters. boxing

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: banker-always fishing] #13955051 04/10/21 05:15 PM
M
MONSTER2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Haven’t gotten them to hit my spoon yet...maybe a cut bait would work better. They almost look like eels the way they bunch up and slide through the shallows. I was more afraid that they would gobble up all the bait fish and make life harder on the LMB and crappie. If they’ve been there all this time anyway, I guess Mother Nature has worked out the balance. Thanks for the input.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13955117 04/10/21 06:39 PM
L
Lee Finlay Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I've had good luck catching them with small light colored moving baits, like white grubs.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13955407 04/11/21 12:56 AM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by MONSTER2
Haven’t gotten them to hit my spoon yet...maybe a cut bait would work better. They almost look like eels the way they bunch up and slide through the shallows. I was more afraid that they would gobble up all the bait fish and make life harder on the LMB and crappie. If they’ve been there all this time anyway, I guess Mother Nature has worked out the balance. Thanks for the input.

I recommend removing them. They eat bass and crappie.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13955454 04/11/21 02:24 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Use cut bait! Works every time. hooked

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: banker-always fishing] #13956600 04/12/21 04:23 AM
M
MONSTER2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Got one to hit my lure today but didn’t hook up. They seem to be feeding non-stop.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: banker-always fishing] #13956841 04/12/21 01:38 PM
B
Bad93ex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
It would surprise me if gar would be stocked in a neighborhood lake. Eggs had to transferred there by other means via birds etc. Some could have been released there after being caught at a different water body. Also if the lake is fed by a creek they could have entered in through the creek. noidea Anyway enjoy them. They are very good fighters. boxing

Most likely transferred in by birds.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13956852 04/12/21 01:44 PM
J
Jack Enidus Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by MONSTER2
I was more afraid that they would gobble up all the bait fish and make life harder on the LMB and crappie.

This is the excuse bow "fishing" psychopaths use for going out and killing them en masse. They actually have very low metabolisms and spend most months of the year dormant and suspended on the bottom.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13956856 04/12/21 01:47 PM
F
Flip-n-go Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
^^^^ You're an idiot.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: MONSTER2] #13957231 04/12/21 05:27 PM
J
jaymzinsa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Go on youtube and look up how to make a rope lure. Gar cant resist them, best way to catch gar in my opinion.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: Flip-n-go] #13958109 04/13/21 04:34 AM
J
Jack Enidus Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
^^^^ You're an idiot.

TPW did a big article on gar (specifically alligator gar) in one of their magazine issues a few years ago. There's a lot of misinformation out there and TPW spends a good amount of money for research and awareness towards ending the senseless slaughter of the species. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the biologists who actually study those fish are better experts than Joe Schmo with a Bow.

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2015/mar/ed_3_gar/

“It’s a unique fish, a misunderstood fish, and it’s had an unfounded bad rap,” says Dave Terre, chief of fisheries management and research at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Department biologists have conducted a dozen studies so far... TPWD biologists analyzed the stomach contents of 392 gator gar... and found carp, tilapia and shad... and found carp, tilapia and shad... largemouth bass accounting for only 8 percent. Studies at six other Texas reservoirs, dating back to 1970, showed even smaller percentages of bass in the gars’ diet, and there’s no evidence that the big fish are having a significant impact on bass populations.

Terre notes that many of the state’s best bass lakes — Falcon, Choke Canyon, Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend — have robust populations of alligator gar.

“These fish have coexisted for eons,” he points out. “We can and do have great fishing for largemouth bass and alligator gar in the same place at the same time.”

I have nothing against folks who legally harvest the fish by following the size and possession limits. It's the poachers who go out and fill trashcans and dump them in a field somewhere for a picture to post to an archery fishing forum on Facebook that are the problem and also the first ones to perpetuate the myth that they're doing it for the bass.

Re: Gar in neighborhood lake [Re: Jack Enidus] #13958154 04/13/21 10:49 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Jack Enidus
Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
^^^^ You're an idiot.

TPW did a big article on gar (specifically alligator gar) in one of their magazine issues a few years ago. There's a lot of misinformation out there and TPW spends a good amount of money for research and awareness towards ending the senseless slaughter of the species. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the biologists who actually study those fish are better experts than Joe Schmo with a Bow.

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2015/mar/ed_3_gar/

“It’s a unique fish, a misunderstood fish, and it’s had an unfounded bad rap,” says Dave Terre, chief of fisheries management and research at the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Department biologists have conducted a dozen studies so far... TPWD biologists analyzed the stomach contents of 392 gator gar... and found carp, tilapia and shad... and found carp, tilapia and shad... largemouth bass accounting for only 8 percent. Studies at six other Texas reservoirs, dating back to 1970, showed even smaller percentages of bass in the gars’ diet, and there’s no evidence that the big fish are having a significant impact on bass populations.

Terre notes that many of the state’s best bass lakes — Falcon, Choke Canyon, Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend — have robust populations of alligator gar.

“These fish have coexisted for eons,” he points out. “We can and do have great fishing for largemouth bass and alligator gar in the same place at the same time.”

I have nothing against folks who legally harvest the fish by following the size and possession limits. It's the poachers who go out and fill trashcans and dump them in a field somewhere for a picture to post to an archery fishing forum on Facebook that are the problem and also the first ones to perpetuate the myth that they're doing it for the bass.

Yet again your an idiot. The "poachers" that have following the law until it recently changed about alligator gar. Can still fill buckets of carp and Buffalo and other species of gar. All perfectly legal. BUT to dump them in a field to rot is illegal. I've gone with a whole lot of people and nobody I know does this. Personally 99% of our fish gets ground up and used in gardens and feeding a family friends pigs. They love that stuff.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide