bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by bockscar
Originally Posted by grout-scout

now this might sound like a crazy questions, but I gotta ask. Do you all feel that you have more knowledge about black bass and freshwater lakes than the biologist and people that work for TP&W on the sharelunker program?

I’ll answer your question with another question and that will be that...What’s better for bass in a lake, a lake with health lush hydrilla or a lake with dead poison sprayed hydrilla? Yeah, there you go with your educated biologist BS theory.

Id like to think the Sharelunker people are less involved and separate from those decisions and aspects of lake management, but I may be wrong. I also thought I read somewhere some of the spraying you see was done in part to satisfy property owners....but that mightve been florida, cant really remember. Its hard to be right all the time when it comes to nature since it tends to do its thing regardless of what we want it to do.

You are bringing up somethig im not debating or disagreeing with at all...but im still wondering if some of you all feel like you are more knowledgeable and better equipped to make decisions on best practice for growing big fish? I just really feel that the Sharelunker people know what they are doing.....and what is going on in West texas, and has continued to happen in places like fork really have me putting faith in the Sharelunker people.

Oh, you want to go there now. Ok, let’s go...Fork sees the majority of the SAL fry, why aren’t they pumping out giant SAL’s every year? Shouldn’t Fork be the lake in the news, no other lake is groomed like it is.

not really interested in arguing a point Im not making. All im saying....the select few that work with ShareLunker not only have more education on black bass, but also more experience and data points/sample size than anyone out there. Because of this I value their opinions and practices on how to grow big bass for an entire state...over the opinion of some people going off limited personal experience, and anecdotal second hand stories.

Its already been stated that 1 of 17 died. Thats great in my books. But im just trying to be objective on the matter with no dog in the fight either way....but I do appreciate what Texas does for bass fishing.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923227 03/15/21 04:43 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
I have a buddy who caught a 13 in east texas today. His 5th 13+ ever. He has never turned one in. His lakes would get hammered if he did.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13923327 03/15/21 12:32 PM
D
doctorb Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Yep. You catch a 8-9 pounder, hold it over the side of the boat, snap a quick photo, let swim back to the bed. [Linked Image]

unless you're fishing a tournament where it gets stuck in the livewell all day then carried in a bag to a weigh in after which it is released.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923339 03/15/21 12:44 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
This argument gets so old. It's worse than the MLF vs BASS debate.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13923345 03/15/21 12:49 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
. God yes!! Each person has their own choice to make. Not sure why some feel they have to push theirs onto others

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: doctorb] #13923347 03/15/21 12:51 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by doctorb
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Yep. You catch a 8-9 pounder, hold it over the side of the boat, snap a quick photo, let swim back to the bed. [Linked Image]

unless you're fishing a tournament where it gets stuck in the livewell all day then carried in a bag to a weigh in after which it is released.

True.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923367 03/15/21 01:18 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
I have a buddy who caught a 13 in east texas today. His 5th 13+ ever. He has never turned one in. His lakes would get hammered if he did.

Smart man. You want to see your small local lake get beat to death turn in a SAL out of it, its about to happen to Coleman. They should add the option for the anglers to make the lake anonymous, their entries would skyrocket, but TPWD won't ever do that, they want the publicity.

Last edited by SC-001; 03/15/21 01:22 PM.
Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923383 03/15/21 01:28 PM
H
Hook'Em 79 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
If it's really only one (and I have no reason to doubt them) that isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I really am on the fence with this program, would sure love the chance at making the decision though!

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923396 03/15/21 01:39 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Good thinking! I would do the same.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923420 03/15/21 01:55 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
After seeing that out of the last 17 turned in only 1 has died and the others are doing great, I’d prob turn one in. The lake I like to fish already gets the hell beat out of it 7 days a week so it makes zero difference.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: bockscar] #13923458 03/15/21 02:30 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by SAKS
Originally Posted by 5-20
Hate seeing this news. I agree. Fish get stressed out from being caught, especially these older 10-16 pound fish.

Just think about it. If you’re 60+ years old. You’re old but still strong and virile and reasonably stable. You have your home and everything you need for survival set up.

And then someone grabs you and thrusts you in a totally foreign and barren environment. A sterile plastic tub and then transfers you to a sterile concrete tub for weeks.

It’s not hard to see why so few fish survive that experience. It’s easy to see how stressed big fish already become from being in a livewell for a few hours.

Let them get back to their environment and stabilize in the best way they know how to.

Keep on stocking Florida bass. No need to keep on grabbing so many fish out of those lakes.

Almost wonder if it’s the publicity alone that makes so many people donate their fish.

now this might sound like a crazy questions, but I gotta ask. Do you all feel that you have more knowledge about black bass and freshwater lakes than the biologist and people that work for TP&W on the sharelunker program?

Just because scientists have education and make decisions don't make them the correct ones.

OK...but thats not what I asked. I wonder if you all feel you know more about black bass than them...considering they have the education mentioned, but also have many more data points and experience with big bass than pretty much everyone else in the country and potentially the world. I dont think there is or has been anyone actively and continually studying big bass and how they function than the TP&W people. So thats why im wondering if you all feel like you know more than them?

EDIT:
The guy in the Miliken fishing video said he'd been doing it 20 years. Thats a lot of experience in addition to education.

To answer your question directly, I personally do not know more than the biologists at TPWD. I also do not have an opinion on the Sharelunker program good or bad. My point was just because people are educated and know a lot on a particular subject does not mean they automatically make good decisions. This is especially true where funding is involved. Now don't read anything into my last sentence. Not saying TPWD is doing this so they don't lose funding. My statements hold true to just about any field of study.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923461 03/15/21 02:32 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R

I think this is smart. I've never understood the need to tell everyone in Texas how many fish you're catching in a small lake. Does the guy doing it really want half of Dallas and Houston coming to his 500-2,000 acre lake?

There was a thread a few years ago titled "Bloodbath On XXXXXXX!!!" It proceeded to tell about how he caught 60-70 bass, 4-5 pounders out the wazoo, etc. A friend of mine texted and asked if I had seen it. He was incredulous that someone would post that about a tiny lake. Sure enough, it got so crowded that we didn't want to go there anymore.

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13923529 03/15/21 03:25 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Razorback
Good grief. They're fish, not children.. Legally caught fish. They belong to the people who caught them.

Amen brother... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Dan21XRS] #13923569 03/15/21 03:43 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Originally Posted by Razorback
Good grief. They're fish, not children.. Legally caught fish. They belong to the people who caught them.

Amen brother... Dan

And yet....they read and comment...

Re: Sal survival rate for Ivie [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13923598 03/15/21 04:04 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You don’t have to certify fish under 10 lbs in the SAL program. Not sure where guys are getting the idea that folks are hauling 8’s to the marina to get them certified. You measure, take a pic on the board, take a pic of entire fish on handheld scale, submit, and release. At least learn what the program actually is before you start dogging it out....

Would be awesome if they would come up with something similar to what the Toledo Bend Lake Association does. Give the replica to anyone who submits a Legacy Class lunker, then give them the choice to donate to spawn or not. Many are donating for 2 reasons, the glory and the replica. So give a replica and the glory, but then give them the choice to donate to spawn or release back into the lake. Maybe only the ones that donate fish to spawn can qualify for the annual drawing or give a way stuff. I love me some TPWD, not a biologist, just another armchair quarterback like everyone else in here.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide