Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 #13397571 01/09/20 03:05 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] January 2020:

Wishing You All A Belated Happy New Year!!! And off we go, into yet another year of Catfishing.

Since this is the Intro for the Year 2020, maybe you are just now tuning in on my Catfish Calendar, here are the URLs (web-dresses) for the previous years. You can back up to a little of the background behind the Calendar and tips along the way shared in the yearly threads since mid 2010 here on the TFF. I was taught by two YellowCat teachers, and learned from what they had been taught, as well as learned from their experience. However, I stumbled upon the Calendar by accident (or was it?) in 1981 & 1982. I mapped out my plan & decided to put it to the test for 3 years (1983, 1984, 1985) on the Trinity River (below TX 21). In a nutshell, I've been using the Calendar for almost 40 years. I tell folks I didn't create it, I just discovered it. The pattern was already there, but due to circumstances, it unfolded & then I had to wonder. Well, there is no wonder any more. As many have found out, including many here on TFF, it just plain works. You can save these links to the previous years, as well as this current year's thread:

Previously ...
2010 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5176857/1>
2011 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5657988/1>
2012 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7059981/1>
2013 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8477517/1>
2014 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9620277/1>
2015 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10541276/1>
2016 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11325915/1>
2017 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12013552/1>
2018 <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12556618/1>
2019 <https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13015486/1>

And this year's ...
2020 <https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13397571/1 >

My plans to try to catch "The Giant" were thwarted by medical issues that got worse in May (actually they began in November 2018), as I was about to prep the 1990 Geo Metro to pull a light trailer with my new 12 foot flat bottom (December 2017). So "The Giant" got a reprieve. I figure this one to be a giant male Op (spotted YellowCat) weighing between 115# to 150#. I have yet to see it, but one of my Catfish Calendar & YellowCat students got to see its head & its tail back in 2008 one night. The closest I have come to getting it was on Saturday May 5th, 2018 late afternoon. I did not think or realize until I was almost over it on the trotline, that I had "The Giant" on the line. From the end I started, at first I thought it might be a 10 to 15 pounder. As I got closer, I raised the numbers, as it was tugging more- perhaps a 30-35 pounder, and I could tell it was a YellowCat tug/pull. I got a little further, perhaps 6 or more hooks away, and raised the bar even higher, to about a 60 pounder.

It did not even click of just "who" I had on the line. I was at the leader line just before it, and then I realized from the tremendous tug downwards that I definitely had "The Giant" on my line. And so far, he had not gotten off yet. Usually, he just puts it in Granny of a tractor gear & heads out, ripping the hook out of his mouth. Of course, I had forgotten to prepare properly, as I had forgotten I was not in the 14" MonArk, nor was I in my Dad's 1962 Sears Elgin flat bottom (much sturdier, had a deeper hull, and could hold more weight than the new styles, plus up to a 7.5 HP motor). I had some heavy stuff up front, so if it dove, the front end would have gone under. Had it pulled from anywhere on the side, as I was sitting partially in the front seat running the line on the side, he surely would have rolled the boat over & dumped me out, then I would not only be in his territory, but get hung or wrapped in my line. I was in a "Do or Die" situation, with no other choice but to press onward. Just as I was over top of it, with the main line held tightly, I forget if I even had the dipnet in the other hand or not. Just as I yanked up, he dove down. Then SNAP, he was gone, as he took the hook, snapped the end of the leader just like string. It was size 36, but not twisted. I thought it was solid braid. It was braided with an inner core, which I deem inferior. I guess I will have to look closer on the label next time. As I sat there, with all that adrenaline still flowing, I got to thinking, maybe it was a good thing that it snapped. I was not fully prepared with the 12 footer, as I might have been with the 14 footer. I mean I was disappointed, as I failed to see "The Giant", we both survived until the next time. As I looked around, it dawned on me. I was definitely in its path that it always travels, to which I have hung it several times in this very spot. So I made a promise to regroup, then go for it again in the days ahead.

I had started pooling items together, incuding a few digital scales (one goes to 660 pounds) to get certified. Because, in my opinion, this one will beat the state YellowCat record (I think from Lake Livingston at 113 pounds), as well as Lake Limestone record Yellow (107 pounds). I never pursued even a Big Cat (or Fish) record when I caught "Big'Un" back in 1985 on the Trinity River below TX21 bridge. One fellow TFFer sent me some huge leader lines & hooks to assist in my quest. I have a shopping list to finish with a place I do business with, in Louisiana (formerly called The Fish Net Company). I forget their new name, but I have the catalog around here somewhere. Oh, here it is: Nets and More <https://netsandmore.com/>

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- JANUARY 2020
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sunday / Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
XX / XX / XX | 1 ZIP | 2 ZIP | 3 ZIP | 4 BC
5 BC | 6 ZIP | 7 BC | 8 BC | 9 YC | 10 YC | 11 BC
12 BC | 13 BFT | 14 BC | 15 ZIP | 16 ZIP | 17 BFT | 18 BFT
19 ZIP | 20 ZIP | 21 BC | 22 ZIP | 23 ZIP | 24 BC | 25 BC
26 BFT | 27 YC | 28 YC | 29 ZIP | 30 ZIP | 31 BC
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- January 2020 Moon Phases---
2nd- 1st Qtr
10th- Full Moon
17th- Last Qtr
24th- New Moon

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- January 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
8/9/10 Wed/Thurs/Fri
18/19 Sat/Sun
27/28 Mon/Tues

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (January 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- 4 (Sat)
2nd Week- 5/7/8/11 (Sun/Tues/Wed/Sat)
3rd Week- 12/14 (Sun/Tues)
4th Week- 21/24/25 (Tues/Fri/Sat)
5th Week- 31 (Fri)

*** ALWAYS ... be sure to note that YC days are also great for Blues. So when you have a clump of BC & YC days, press forward. Like they say in pool (or billiards), Rack 'em Up!!!

*** And be sure to not get them (YC) confused with PYC days, as this is reference to the YellowCat underlying pattern. The YC days are the hardest pull for that day of the calendar, as to the 4 possible 'sigs" of mine [YC/BC/BFT/ZIP].

Looking ahead into February, here is the first PYC grouping---
5/6/7 (Wed/Thurs/Fri)

And earliest BC days in February---
1/2 / 7/8 (Sat/Sun / Fri/Sat)

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- 2020 KEY:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
YC = YellowCat // BC = BlueCat // BFT = Buffet (assorted) // ZIP = Zip (not very good)
Tip- Always bait out lines the night before a YC or BC day.
Tip- Gator Gars (GG) run ahead of YellowCats, so bait out late (between 11 PM to 1 AM).
Tip- BlueCats also bite good on YC days, but you can rack ‘em up on BC days.
Tip- Some variations or alterations are due to weather or other external influences.
Tip- For Rod-n-Reelers, use Solunar Tables (etc.) also for best times with my calendar.
Tip- Near Full Moon, Gator Gars & YellowCats seem to feed a few hours later.
Tip- Your biggest YellowCats may hit best towards beginning & end of YC or PYC days.
Tip- My PYC Days keys in on the YellowCat’s Feed/Roam Days Underlying Pattern.
Tip- Bleedover works both ways- Before & After a calendar day. Take advantage.

There ya go!!!
Be Safe!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13399818 01/11/20 02:03 AM
F
FishinTime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Thank you sir and wishing you the best of luck bringing in the giant this year.

In God We Trust
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13401958 01/13/20 12:52 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Appreciate it!

I'm hopin' its finally time I take the vacuum cleaner out of the RB end of the lake. You can only imagine how much this thing inhales, as to other fish. It had to move out during the drought of 2011 to 2012, as the lake went down at least 10 feet. The area it runs in, is about 8 to 11 feet. I was worried it might not return, but it definitely has, still taking the same path it always has. James S. (the only one to see its head & tail, but not length or body) said there was nothing but "head" in the spotlight that night. As it went under, its tail surfaced, James S. said it had to have been over a 12" span (the tail) easily. That would probably have been compressed, not spread out. He has been the only one of us 3- James S, Jeff S., my Uncle James (W.), and myself, that has seen portions of it.

That is why it looks like I will have to wing it with 12 footer instead of the 14 footer. But I will have to make an outer pontoon to prevent it from rolling me over.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13413469 01/23/20 01:58 AM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I've read that story about the giant for years and love it every time. I' might be a little scared to have one that big on the line. I mean, he would give you a whoopin you wouldnt forget. Looks like this saturday us a BC day. I think I might go out for the first time this year.

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13414075 01/23/20 05:17 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Yes, I know, as to "The Giant". Had I realized "IT" was on there before I was right over it, back on Saturday afternoon May 5th 2018 (Cinco de Mayo), I may have stopped to think about it, and eased the line back down. Then tried to regroup as to plans, since I was in the new 12 footer flat bottom AlumnaCraft. It does not have a deep hull like my Dad's 1962 Elgin (from Sears). Something this big would have easily rolled me over sideways, or stood the boat up with the front end nosediving. I've added a little wood frame on top of the front, for certain setups, as well as siliconed it, to keep water from coming over the front in higher waves. But it adds on weight to the front. Then, there was me at about 260 #s or so. Currently though, I am down to about 208/210 after they sent 60 pounds of water weight gain out of me (in the first 4 days at the hospital), then decided to add back about 10 pounds.

Interesting thing about it, is that it never is usually feisty, just taking its time. If hung on a hook (leader), it just sits & waits, perhaps to taunt us. It just moves away in a tractor like fashion. Putting it in "granny" gear & not stopping. All of the times I've hooked it, it would wind up ripping the hook out or spitting it out. But this time it did not. It is posible that it had chewed the leader with its teeth and made it weaker. I lost it once on a leader attached to a 3/0 Brass 3 way swivel. I do not use 3 way swivels after that. It has yet to break a 3/0 Brass or 4/0 SS (I use thes now for "The Giant" area) Barrel swivels.

So as I recover from all the recent health issues, I am trying to figure out the best way to finally catch it. Without turning the boat over. I was going to sink some of my Christmas Bonus into getting the 14' MonArk running again. It has been parked since the 2011 CTC Kid's Catfish Tourney in June on Father's Day. We barely managed to get out & back in to Running Branch. Later in August, you could almost walk all the way to where "The Giant" ran his trail (path).

And sadly, I lost my fishing partner just over a week ago, 3 weeks after I got home from the hospital (9 day stay). I found my Uncle James in his recliner on Monday afternoon January 13th. It seems he must have passed on either Friday night or early Saturday morning. While both of our pickups went down in 2012, he bought my daughter's van & finall put a hitch on it. So when I got the 14 footer going again, we could pick up fishing again.

We have not heard back from the coroner yet, as to cause of death. He had been complaing of his right leg hurting for 2 or 3 weeks. He said it was arthritus. He came back from the Granbury area after Christmas with what he thought was allergies. But who knows, it could have been the flu or pneumonia. He had a Quadruple Bypass in 2013. He had heart issues after me in 2012. He was 11 years older that me. We both had the same birthday- August 25th. Jamey (James, jr.) was kind enough to give me the "FISH" camera, a Sony Mavica, that we took out on the lake, so no harm would come to our better cameras. The good thing about the Mavica, was it used the 3.5" diskettes. You could plug it into any computer, as you did not need a camera program to see or transfer them onto some other storage device, as to the pics.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13415405 01/24/20 10:49 PM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Hope you get better soon. If you need help getting your other boat ready let me know, I wouldnt mind helping as long as its stuff I can do. No charge of course.

With saturday being a BC day i'm gonna go scouting at a place they call The Narrows at lake travis. Oldtimers say thats where the big ones are in travis. Might go to waco sunday but I havent fished it in a couple of years and they say the lake has changed since the floods. guess its time to go check it out. Good luck with The Giant.

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13417032 01/26/20 11:13 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Sorry for late response. Too many things going on, other that just medical. We, as well as the Sherriff investigator, have not heard a thing yet from the coroner over in Austin, about the cause of death & a closer timeline. Jamey (James, jr. my cousin) is hoping to get his boat running again & said as soon as he does, if I want to head to Limestone, then we will.

I am still trying to get over spraining my ankle the 2nd time, making it even worse. And now it seems I have to report not only to my regular doctor, but two cardiologists, as well. For my hospital stay of 9 days, i have bills coming, that seem to span from the West Coast to the East coast (as to addresses), as well as up near the Great Lakes.

Sadly, I am expecting to hear on Monday, something akin to your transmissions stopped. And that would mean that my fall Friday night, messed up my ICD. Hopefully though, it won't occur. It all happened to fast, I scraped my lower lobe of my left ear. I am not sure if I might have hit the unit on the way down. I forget that I do not have good lifting available with my left arm.

Anyway, onward & forward to the day I finally get back on the water once again. Good Luck on the big Blue search. The rivers I used to fish, were always changing after floods. Not every flood, but some. For instance, there was a shelf upstream on the Brazos River off TX 21 at the first rockwall, that retained a good supply of YellowCats from 1980 throgh 1983. But when I went back in 1991, the shelf had obviously been cut by floods over the years. No more YellowCats were there. I fished there with a trotline in the same spot for up to 2 weeks. Never caught even one. I camped out on the opposite side, on a white sand beach across from the Rockwall.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13423329 02/01/20 03:16 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
OK, in case you did not know, February is deemed by some of us as "Big Blue" month. There are 12 days of BCs on the roster for this month, so make it count

Remember that this year's URL can be saved for fast access if you are on the go & do not have time to comb down the scrolls (pages of the Catfishing threads) if not on page 1...

2020 <https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13397571/1>

--->>>Also, please note that I just discovered an extra space added to the end of the 2020 URL in the January posting. So if you had a problem accessing it, that might be the cause. I have corrected it here in February's posting. For some reason, there is no EDIT button on the January post, for me to correct it there.

It has been nearly three weeks since I lost my fishing partner (my Uncle- James), and we still have not yet gotten the autopsy results. Jamey (my cousin) hopes to pick up where my Uncle left off. He is hoping to get his big boat running again. Who knows, we may even use it for trying to finally catch "The Giant". Jamey gave me my Uncle's "FISH" camera that we used. It was a Sony Mavica. A lot of memories taken with that camera.

I recall once that we had a missing jugline. My uncle spotted one in the area it had been. It was moving. As we pulled up to it, most of the top leaders & hooks were mangled up. As I got my dipnet down, I had already realized it was a YellowCat from the way it tugged. Sure enough, it was a nice 40# Op (spotted YellowCat). As I got it in the dipnet up to the surface, it made a big attempt to get away. I got soaked. James laughed & laughed and laughed, as water was running down my face. As I hefted the cat & net up into the boat, I maneuvered to hand him both the Cat & the Net. He got it and slowly eased it out of the net into our 55 gallon tub. But just as he did, the Op tore up the water and soaked Uncle James. And now it was my turn, I laughed and laughed and laughed. I think its great when everybody participates. Its much more fun and memories are not forgotten of those times.

Don't forget, this year is Leap Year, and the 29th is a BC day.

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- FEBRUARY 2020 [LEAP YEAR]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
XX / XX / XX / XX / XX / XX | 1 BC
2 BC | 3 ZIP | 4 ZIP | 5 YC | 6 YC | 7 BC | 8 BC
9 BFT | 10 BFT | 11 BC | 12 BC | 13 BFT | 14 BFT | 15 ZIP
16 ZIP | 17 ZIP | 18 BC | 19 BC | 20 BFT | 21 BC | 22 BC
23 BFT | 24 BFT | 25 ZIP | 26 ZIP | 27 ZIP | 28 BC | 29 BC
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- February 2020 Moon Phases---
1st- 1st Qtr
9th- Full Moon
15th- Last Qtr
23rd- New Moon

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- February 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
5/6/7 Wed/Thurs/Fri
14/15 Fri/Sat
23/24 Sun/Mon

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (February 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- 1 (Sat)
2nd Week- 2/7/8 (Sun/Fri/Sat)
3rd Week- 11/12 (Tues/Wed)
4th Week- 18/19/21/22 (Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat)
5th Week- 28/29 (Fri/Sat)

*** ALWAYS ... be sure to note that YC days are also great for Blues. So when you have a clump of BC & YC days, press forward. Like they say in pool (or billiards), Rack 'em Up!!!

*** And be sure to not get them (YC) confused with PYC days, as this is reference to the YellowCat underlying pattern. The YC days are the hardest pull for that day of the calendar, as to the 4 possible 'sigs" of mine [YC/BC/BFT/ZIP].

Looking ahead into March, here is the first PYC grouping---
3/4/5 (Tues/Wed/Thurs)

And earliest BC days in March---
6/7 (Fri/Sat)
10/11 (Tues/Wed)

For the KEY, back up to January's post.

And remember, having your lifejacket on always, if & when trouble comes, it could very well save your life, especially in colder weather.

Be safe, be kind, and the best of Catfishing to You!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13425017 02/03/20 07:05 AM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
went to waco sunday and didnt get a bite. The lake is different since I was last there. Timber everywhere laying all over.

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13425703 02/03/20 09:16 PM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
with the side image you can see timber on the bottom all over the lake. Its like it ruined the lake. Anybody on here fish waco? For blues ?

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13461989 03/06/20 03:40 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] March 2020:

Not much time here, so I will get March up for you. Last week I was in the hospital for a day. I had what they call an Electrical Cardio-Version. Simply put, they shock you (like with the paddles), but most of the time, with your ICD unit (which looks like a mix between a computer mouse & a closed flip phone), that resides between your ribs & outer skin. Yes, it protrudes out. I am not sure if there was another method (device), but I never did get to ask the doctor what or which one was used. But they got me out of constant AFIB back into a normal rhythm (heartbeat) after only one shock. I do not know what my ICD is set to go off, as to heartbeat (pulse) rate. But I have spiked between 140 & 160 several times.

I sure am hoping when my son-in-law & daughter get back from a trip to Vegas mid-next week, that he will be about ready to take me down to the river about 1.5 miles down the highway, so I can finally fish some.

Please Note, in case you missed it in February ...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Remember that this year's URL can be saved for fast access if you are on the go & do not have time to comb down the scrolls (pages of the Catfishing threads) if not on page 1...

--->>>Also, please note that I just discovered an extra space added to the end of the 2020 URL in the January posting. So if you had a problem accessing it, that might be the cause. I have corrected it here in February's posting. For some reason, there is no EDIT button on the January post, for me to correct it there.

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- MARCH 2020
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 ZIP | 2 ZIP | 3 YC | 4 YC | 5 YC | 6 BC | 7 BC
8 BFT | 9 BFT | 10 BC | 11 BC | 12 YC | 13 BFT | 14 ZIP
15 ZIP | 16 BC | 17 BC | 18 BFT | 19 BFT | 20 BFT | 21 YC
22 BFT | 23 ZIP | 24 ZIP | 25 ZIP | 26 ZIP | 27 BC | 28 ZIP
29 ZIP | 30 ZIP | 31 YC

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- March 2020 Moon Phases---
2nd- 1st Qtr
9th- Full Moon
16th- Last Qtr
24th- New Moon

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- March 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
3/4/5 Tues/Wed/Thurs
12/13 Thurs/Fri
21/22 Sat/Sun
30/31/(1) Mon/Tues/(Wed)

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (March 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- 7 Sat
2nd Week- 10/11 Tues/Wed
3rd Week- 16/17 Mon/Tues
4th Week- 27 Fri
5th Week- NONE

Looking ahead into April, here is the first PYC grouping---
(30/31)/1 Mon/Tues/Wed
9/10 Thurs/Fri

And earliest BC days in April---
6/7 Mon/Tues
10 Fri

For the KEY, back up to January's post.

Wear your lifejacket always!

the best of Catfishing to You!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13503258 04/05/20 03:23 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Whew!!! What a mess that the new kid in town has created, speaking of the Corona Virus. While you may or may not be able to camp out on a public Lake or river, unless you/your area have been ruled in the strictest sense, you should be able to still go fishing. Especially if your income & pantry are low, makes it look like its gonna be fish on the food table.

I might be considered lucky on my end, as to income. I am drawing early Social Security, which pays the basic bills, while also being able to have gotten to go back to light work at the Door Shop. We almost thought we were going to have to close this past week or so, but the owner & boss talked with the city & we were able to stay working. We are in about 4 different buildings, plus have separate & far distant work areas assigned to us. So that weekly paycheck helps to pick up the slack, and of course start paying the massive medical bills I amassed in my 9 day hospital vacation. A very expensive vacation.

I did finally get to go about 2 weeks back, and do about 2 hours of bank fishing on the river with Eric (my son-n-law), Willan & Chelsea (my grandkids). Wa are about 1.5 miles away from the second bridge of the Navasota River on TX21. I guess I could even bicycle down there with an RnR. Eric caught two dink Blues & I caught one dink Blue, so we tossed them back as they were undersize. I also took 5 of my two piece cane poles. However, after untangling the mess And putting them together, I realized I had left the leader lines, corks, and hooks at home. So I used my Zebco 808 on a 2/3' Swede Stainless Styk w/50# or so test. Chelsea used my other short RnR I had gotten from my sister for a Christmas present about two years back. That's alright, I'll find my leaders before the next round. Hmm, I forgot, I also have a new pockert fisherman running around, still in the box. I myself like short rods & such for portability. That is one reason I like the 2 piece cane poles (from Academy).

My Granddad (Mom's Dad) used to set up "set hooks" on the bank. I mean he would line them up, maybe 10 to 20 of them. The poles were made usually of some fresh tender branch or small tree (that way they were strong & could flex without breaking), with a line & hook (no cork). The poles were about 4 feet long, in my estimation.

Special Note, in case you missed it back in January/February ...
This year's URL can be saved for fast access if you are on the go & do not have time to comb down the scrolls (pages of the Catfishing threads) if not on page 1...

--->>>I have corrected it in February's posting, as a blank space appeared at the end of the URL (web-dress). For some reason, there was no EDIT button on the January post, obviously there is some time limit on editing a post.

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- APRIL 2020
XX / XX / XX | 1 YC | 2 ZIP | 3 ZIP | 4 BFT
5 BFT | 6 BC | 7 BC | 8 YC | 9 YC | 10 BC | 11 ZIP
12 BC | 13 BC | 14 BC | 15 BFT | 16 BFT | 17 YC | 18 YC
19 YC | 20 ZIP | 21 ZIP | 22 ZIP | 23 ZIP | 24 ZIP | 25 ZIP
26 ZIP | 27 YC | 28 YC | 29 ZIP | 30 ZIP |

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- April 2020 Moon Phases---
1st- 1st Qtr
7th- Full Moon
14th- Last Qtr
22nd- New Moon
30th- 1st Qtr

***Last night on the TV Weather News, it was noted the brightest Full Moon of 2020 was to be here in April, but it may be noted 6th or 7th, as I thought I saw the 6th as being noted on the TV screen.

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- April 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
(30/31)/1 (Mon/Tues)/Wed
9/10 Thurs/Fri
18/19 Sat/Sun
27/28/29 Mon/Tues/Wed

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- April 2020 Lynn's YC (YellowCat) Days (as to the Calendar)---
1st Week- (30/31)/1 ((Mon/Tues)/Wed)
2nd Week- 8/9 (Wed/Thurs)
3rd Week- 17/18 (Fri/Sat)
4th Week- 19 (Sun)
5th Week- 27/28 Mon/Tues

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (April 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- NONE
2nd Week- 6/7//10 (Mon/Tues//Fri)
3rd Week- 12/13/14 (Sun/Mon/Tues)
4th Week- NONE
5th Week- NONE

***I do this section below, just in case I can't find time on the keyboard just before or at the first few days. It gives you the preview into the following month, so you are not left out in the cold, as to YC & BC days, as well as PYC days.

Looking ahead into May, here is the first PYC grouping (according to the Lynn unit aka "Catfish"/"Catfish Lynn")---
6/7 (Wed/Thurs)

And the YC days (according to the Calendar)
6/7 (Wed/Thurs)

And earliest BC days in May (according to the Calendar)---
2 (Sat)
3/4/5//8/9 (Sun/Mon/Tues//Fri/Sat)

Here's the LCC Key for 2020 once again---

+++++++++++++++++++++++
YC = YellowCat // BC = BlueCat // BFT = Buffet (assorted) // ZIP = Zip (not very good)
Tip- Gator Gars (GG) run ahead of YellowCats, so bait out late (between 11 PM to 1 AM).
Tip- Some variations or alterations are due to weather or other external influences.
Tip- For Rod-n-Reelers, use Solunar Tables (etc.) also for best times with my calendar.
Tip- Your biggest YellowCats may hit best towards beginning & end of YC or PYC days.

There Ya go!
Enjoy!
Be Safe!
The LifeJacket must be worn to save your life!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13543280 05/03/20 02:41 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Welcome Back Catfish Enthusiasts! And that goes as well for those after Gator Gars! Sometimes, you find out more than you expect. While researching YellowCats back in the early 1980s, I stumbled across a more erratic map of BlueCats. And then I also realized I had found a pattern in Gator Gars as well, which almost mirrored the YellowCats.

As some of you may know, I & "Millertimeatthelake" have dubbed May 15th as National YellowCat Day, even though you can catch them anytime, it seems we have had some really nice ones caught in mid-May.

While we are on that note, I have to wonder if there is an uptick in Gator Gars in May, as well. You may recall that on Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) of 2018, I did the tango with "The Giant" (my nickname for this whopper of an Op, and in my estimation, a male which will weigh out between 115 to 150 pounds).

Be advised, just in case you missed my bloopers back in January/February ...
This year's URL can be saved for fast access if you are on the go & do not have time to comb down the scrolls (pages of the Catfishing threads) if not on page 1...

--->>>I have corrected it in February's posting, as a blank space appeared at the end of the URL (web-dress). For some reason, there was no EDIT button on the January post, obviously there is some time limit on editing a post.

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- MAY 2020
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
XX / XX / XX / XX / XX | 1 ZIP | 2 BC
3 BC | 4 BC | 5 BC | 6 YC | 7 YC | 8 BC | 9 BC
10 BFT | 11 BC | 12 BFT | 13 BFT | 14 YC | 15 YC | 16 YC
17 ZIP | 18 ZIP | 19 BC | 20 ZIP | 21 ZIP | 22 ZIP | 23 ZIP
24 BFT | 25 YC | 26 YC | 27 ZIP | 28 ZIP | 29 BC | 30 BC
31 ZIP

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- May 2020 Moon Phases---
7th- Full Moon
14th- Last Qtr
22nd- New Moon
29th- 1st Qtr

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- May 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
6/7 Wed/Thurs
15/16 Fri/Sat
24/25/26 Sun/Mon/Tues

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- May 2020 Lynn's YC (YellowCat) Days (as to the Calendar)---
1st Week- NONE
2nd Week- 6/7 (Wed/Thurs)
3rd Week- 15/16 (Fri/Sat)
4th Week- 25/26 (Mon/Tues)
5th Week- NONE

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (May 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- 2 (Sat)
2nd Week- 3/4/5/8/9 (Sun/Mon/Tues/Fri/Sat)
3rd Week- 19 (Tues)
4th Week- 29/30 (Fri/Sat)
5th Week- NONE

***I do this section below, just in case I can't find time on the keyboard just before or at the first few days. It gives you the preview into the following month, so you are not left out in the cold, as to YC & BC days, as well as PYC days.

Looking ahead into June, here is the first PYC grouping (according to the Lynn unit aka "Catfish"/"Catfish Lynn")---
2/3 (Tues/Wed)

And the YC days in June (according to the Calendar)---
2/3 (Tues/Wed)

And earliest BC days in June (according to the Calendar)---
4/5 (Thurs/Fri)

For the LCC 2020 Key, back up to the April calendar.

There Ya go!
Good Luck!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13579260 06/02/20 03:47 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] June 2020:

Greetings! I'll be short this time, as I am about out of Vitamin Zzzzz. My grandson Willan turned 18 a few weeks ago & is expected to head to college in September. Due to Corona, his Birthday Party has been delayed. He has requested for Granddaddy to fry fish for his party. And I accepted the challenge, so "Game On", or "Fry On" in this case.

I plan to have two deep fryers running with catfish, one with Tilapia, and at least two with Fries (Ore-Ida Crinkle Cut) on one & the other with Hush Puppies. Since HEB no longer carries the Hill Country Fare "torpedos" (as I call them), I have found two recipes online to make these slim puppies that fry to perfection. It seems this style is referred to as Carolina or North Carolina Hush Puppies. The good thing about the HCF ones I used to get, was that they pop up (float) at the top of your pot when done. No soggy centers like the round normal type. That is why they were a big hit for many a fish fry and my daughter was requesting them for this "Fry". I looked them up online, but while HEB has info on them, it notes no longer avalable. See them (to get an idea), called Hill Country Fare Light & Crispy Hush Puppies #125355 at
<https://www.heb.com/product-detail/hill-country-fare-light-and-crisp-hush-puppies/125355>

I have found my favorite- Del Monte ketchup, over at Brookshire Brothers in Madisonville. Heinz is too thick & salty, and Hunts is too sweet. Del Monte, ice cold, is superb. If no Del Monte is at hand, my suggestion is Krogers brand.

And of course, I'll be dropping by HEB off TX Ave. (6) & 21, for about 10 boxes or so of Tony's Crispy Creole Fish Fry batter.

Last is the search for Mrs. Tuckers shortening, about 10 to 15 tubs worth. My uncle (who passed away in January & was my latest catfishing partner until we both got hit with heart problems in 2012/2013) told me that my Grandma (his Mom) always used Mrs. Tuckers. I can tell you one thing, and that was my sister & I always were ready for whatever she cooked. She could make that cast iron stove sing perfection in whatever she cooked. Hopefully I will find some or somebody that can order some Mrs. Tuckers in for me before the 20th.

5 Propane refilled bottles have already been acquired. 8 pounds of Tilapia filets are in the freezer ready to go. Working on catfish is the next goal. You know I freeze my fish in water in Ziplocs. Even though I trim fat off the meat, as well as the bloody sections, after awhile such as some bags still awaitng their turn from 2008 or so, I thaw them out, look for traces of yellow & trim that out & refreeze. Tastes just like it was caught last month.

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- JUNE 2020
XX / 1 ZIP | 2 YC | 3 YC | 4 BC | 5 BC | 6 BFT
7 BFT | 8 YC | 9 BFT | 10 BFT | 11 YC | 12 YC | 13 ZIP
14 ZIP | 15 ZIP | 16 BC | 17 BC | 18 ZIP | 19 ZIP | 20 ZIP
21 BFT | 22 BFT | 23 ZIP | 24 ZIP | 25 BC | 26 BC | 27 ZIP
28 ZIP | 29 BFT | 30 BFT

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- June 2020 Moon Phases---
5th- Full Moon
13th- Last Qtr
21st- New Moon
28th- 1st Qtr

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- June 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
2/3 Tues/Wed
11/12 Thurs/Fri
20/21/22 Sat/Sun/Mon
29/30 Mon/Tues

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- June 2020 Lynn's YC (YellowCat) Days (as to the Calendar)---
1st Week- 2/3 Tues/Wed
2nd Week- 11/12 Thurs/Fri
3rd Week- NONE
4th Week- NONE
5th Week- NONE

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (June 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- 4/5 Thurs/Fri
2nd Week- NONE
3rd Week- 16/17 Tues/Wed
4th Week- 25/26 Thurs/Fri
5th Week- NONE

--->>> What does the 4th of July holiday weekend hold, as per the Calendar?
2/3 Thurs/Fri are BC days, 4/5 are BFT days, and 6/7 are YC days (but not PYC days).

Looking ahead into July, here is the first PYC grouping (according to the Lynn unit aka "Catfish"/"Catfish Lynn")---
8/9 Wed/Thurs

And the YC days in July (according to the Calendar)---
6/7/8/9/10 Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri

And earliest BC days in July (according to the Calendar)---
2/3 Thurs/Fri

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Stay Hydrated!!!
And Stay Floating (meaning wear that Life Jacket)!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2020 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13618483 07/04/20 04:07 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Aloha!

Happy Independence Day!!!

[P.S.- No, I'm not in Hawaii.]

But according to the weather on TV (sorta kinda), we are getting enough Gulf sea breeze here, or have been. Yes, it's not that hot, yet it is. This is the kind of heat & humidity that can sneak up on ya. Yep, it can zap your strength super fast & catch you offguard. I remember back in the younger days (between 1982 & 1986), while on the Trinity River (way below TX 21 bridge, but way above Bedias Creek), after checking the lines, I would fire up the motor (15 HP Sea King by Chrysler short stocky shallow shoal motor that only weighed 47 pounds) on the back of my Dad's super sturdy 12' Elgin (he bought from Sears for $70 in 1962) and cruise on. At first the front would stand up, then a few seconds later it would plane out skimming the water at about 20 to 25 MPH. I mean skimming too. The water was not touching the boat until either between the middle or back seat, or back seat, depending on how much gear I had in it. And the wake I left behind, hardly anything, since I was almost flying. And that was the way I would cool off. The other way of course, was to splash a little river water on you as needed, if stopped for a while in the heat & humidity. Boy, I sure miss that motor & old boat. Lots of memories, as I was testing the Catfish Calendar back then.

Meanwhile, my grandson Willan's 18th Birthday & Graduation Fish Fry went well on Saturday the 20th. Sure, there were a lot of problems at first. About 30 to 45 minutes of turmoil, then finally things were swinging my way better. I did not even break out some of the Catfish from 2009 & 2010, but had some ready just in case. Yep, you heard right, some BC & Op from T-Days some 9 & 10 years ago. I'll tell you my secret of preserving catfish in the freezer in the thread mentioned here shortly. To give you an idea, I fried 44 Catfish filets, 36 Tilapia filets, three 5# Bags of Ore-Ida Crinkle cut fries (yep, 15#s in all, about 3 aluminum foil lasagna pans worth), and one batch each of carolina hush puppies- regular & cajun (Willan & Eric are still working on that to get the batter thicker, as I had to use an ice cream scoop to drop the thin paste in the pot). I will describe all of this in much more details in an upcoming thread titled Lynn's Fish Fry Cheat Sheet.

Anyways, chances are that some of you are out there on the water this holiday, already, or will be. Have a safe one! As for me, I am trying to catch up on items here at the house since I have a 3 day weekend. I hope to accomplish many projects by Sunday evening.

Lynn’s Catfish Calendar [LCC]- JULY 2020
XX / XX / XX | 1 ZIP | 2 BC | 3 BC | 4 BFT
5 BFT | 6 YC | 7 YC | 8 YC | 9 YC | 10 YC | 11 ZIP
12 ZIP | 13 BC | 14 BC | 15 BC | 16 ZIP | 17 ZIP | 18 BFT
19 BFT | 20 ZIP | 21 ZIP | 22 ZIP | 23 BC | 24 ZIP | 25 ZIP
26 ZIP | 27 BFT | 28 BFT | 29 ZIP | 30 ZIP | 31 BFT

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- July 2020 Moon Phases---
5th- Full Moon
12th- Last Qtr
20th- New Moon
27th- 1st Qtr

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- July 2020 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
8/9 Wed/Thurs
17/18/19 Fri/Sat/Sun
27/28 Mon/Tues

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- July 2020 Lynn's YC (YellowCat) Days (as to the Calendar)---
1st Week- NONE
2nd Week- 6/7/8/9/10 Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri
3rd Week- NONE
4th Week- NONE
5th Week- NONE

Hmm, you might want to try the PYC days for those weeks that do not have YC days listed on the Calendar.

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (July 2020), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- 2/3 Thurs/Fri
2nd Week- NONE
3rd Week- 13/14/15 Mon/Tues/Wed
4th Week- 23 Thurs
5th Week- NONE

** ALWAYS ... be sure to note that YC days are also great for Blues. So when you have a clump of BC & YC days, press forward. Like they say in pool (or billiards), Rack 'em Up!!!

****I do this section below for you, just in case I can't find time on the keyboard just before or at the first few days. It gives you the preview into the following month, so you are not left out in the cold, as to YC & BC days, as well as PYC days.

--->>> "PRELIM"
Looking ahead into August, here is the first PYC grouping (according to the Lynn unit aka "Catfish"/"Catfish Lynn")---
5/6 Wed/Thurs

And the earliest YC days in August (according to the Calendar)---
2/3/4/5/6 Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs

And the earliest BC days in August (according to the Calendar)---
9/10/11 9/10/11

For the Calendar Key, back up to the June Calendar.

Stay Hydrated!!!
And Stay Floating (meaning wear that Life Jacket)!!!
But during the Holiday, be sure & be aware & stay safe!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide