Page 1 of 2 1 2
WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria #13369557 12/11/19 11:09 PM
W
wildbyon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
W
A warning to all those who wade the bay waters. While wading the waters near POC in late September/early October, I contracted a flesh eating bacteria in my right calf. It spread like wild fire and I've spent the last 7 weeks in the hospital having 5 surgeries. I entered the hospital within 24 hrs. of the first symptoms septic with organs shutting down and was given a 25% chance of survival and then a 25% chance to save my leg. I survived and kept my leg but lost 35 lbs. and can't put weight on the leg so getting around with a walker. I'm still going 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hr. hyperbaric oxygen treatments and wound dressing changes MWF.

I will never wade fish again! Just wanted to warn everyone to the dangers.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13369603 12/11/19 11:54 PM
M
MathGeek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted by wildbyon
A warning to all those who wade the bay waters. While wading the waters near POC in late September/early October, I contracted a flesh eating bacteria in my right calf. It spread like wild fire and I've spent the last 7 weeks in the hospital having 5 surgeries. I entered the hospital within 24 hrs. of the first symptoms septic with organs shutting down and was given a 25% chance of survival and then a 25% chance to save my leg. I survived and kept my leg but lost 35 lbs. and can't put weight on the leg so getting around with a walker. I'm still going 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hr. hyperbaric oxygen treatments and wound dressing changes MWF.

I will never wade fish again! Just wanted to warn everyone to the dangers.

My family and I frequently wade in the Gulf and other near shore waters, so we've studied the issues thoroughly. This article is a pretty good summary:

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/07/how-to-avoid-flesh-eating-bacteria-at-the-beach-this-summer/

Other than avoiding wading completely, the safest approach is to limit wading to colder months and use waders to avoid direct contact with water.

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13369716 12/12/19 01:17 AM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Glad your still breathing and I hope your leg heals. Did you have any wounds/cuts on your calf when you entered the water?

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13369737 12/12/19 01:35 AM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
It is good you did not wait any longer to go to the hospital or the outcome could have been worse. Thank you for providing information about your experience. This is a serious issue that we all need to be aware of. Fortunately it does not happen more often. I pray you will have a full recovery.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: Osbornfishing] #13369982 12/12/19 11:30 AM
W
wildbyon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
W
In hindsight, I do recall a small scratch on my calf. I'm also a diabetic so I guess I was the perfect storm. My wife and I have spent 2-3 weeks every year for the past several wading this area with no issues. We had spent 2 weeks wading this spring.

[Linked Image]

Wound is healing nicely(according to doctors) although it still looks pretty knarley!!

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13370045 12/12/19 01:26 PM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
OMG

Looks like I am done with wet wading.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13370114 12/12/19 02:19 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
what about swimming in the surf?

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13377223 12/19/19 04:25 PM
ghostlight Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Just wondering if this bacteria is related to the test bacteria used on oil spills

Don't be afraid of the light it is just me looking for a place to fish.
Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: butch sanders] #13377378 12/19/19 06:30 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by butch sanders
what about swimming in the surf?

Swim at your own risk also. Everyone should be aware of this bacteria. Saltwater or freshwater, open wounds of any kind..I wouldn't chance it. Check yourself and your siblings before entering the water. That goes for cuts on your hands even while in a boat. We all tend to "wash" our hands in the water from time to time.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: ghostlight] #13379673 12/22/19 02:58 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted by ghostlight
Just wondering if this bacteria is related to the test bacteria used on oil spills

no, this is naturally occurring bacteria that occurs in most salt water areas...especially in warmer months.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13379771 12/22/19 05:08 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
I do all my of my salt water fishing from a boat. Glad you were able to get the treatment in time. Hopefully you will make a full recovery! Defiantly something to think about!

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13390170 01/02/20 03:30 AM
T
Thunk Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Vibrio bacterium is an occurrence in many bodies of water especially when layers of silt are stirred up. Necrotizing bacteria can be deadly! People with compromised immune systems should not take any chances. Sorry about your experience. Thanks for continuing to help/educate! Prayers for continued healing.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: wildbyon] #13390223 01/02/20 05:02 AM
S
Sgrem Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I am a full time guide in the Texas Gulf Coast. Vibrio is very serious. But you must stay aware and educate yourself. If you have ever been to the beach, fished in a boat or wade fished, or ever handled bait, or ever handled a fish you have been exposed to vibrio and your bodies immune system fought it off as normal. If you have a compromised immune system, diabetic, or alcoholic you are too sick to fight off that bacteria and should avoid.

I gets cuts and scrapes every trip. 190 to 290 days a year on the water. I have been exposed to vibrio every time.

One misconception is washing hands or using hebiclens etc. If vibrio touches you in any open wound it is too late. It will be up to your bodies immune system to fight it off which most do normally as a nonevent. You cannot get soap or chlorine or whatever on it fast enough.

Often times after a long day on the water I get home and nap. I set my alarm for every hour to get up and check myself for anything advanced going on.

If you have ever fished saltwater you have already been exposed every trip. It is naturally occurring all over in every season in every water condition. Even beachfront mid winter. It is simply more prolific in back bay mid summer.

Go and enjoy. Stay aware. Anything wierd is direct to hospital with immediate action. Inform hospital staff of your activities in saltwater and you want to be treated for vibrio and other saltwater infections like bacteria marinum. It is very treatable early. Not so much late.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: Sgrem] #13390226 01/02/20 05:10 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Sgrem
I am a full time guide in the Texas Gulf Coast. Vibrio is very serious. But you must stay aware and educate yourself. If you have ever been to the beach, fished in a boat or wade fished, or ever handled bait, or ever handled a fish you have been exposed to vibrio and your bodies immune system fought it off as normal. If you have a compromised immune system, diabetic, or alcoholic you are too sick to fight off that bacteria and should avoid.

I gets cuts and scrapes every trip. 190 to 290 days a year on the water. I have been exposed to vibrio every time.

One misconception is washing hands or using hebiclens etc. If vibrio touches you in any open wound it is too late. It will be up to your bodies immune system to fight it off which most do normally as a nonevent. You cannot get soap or chlorine or whatever on it fast enough.

Often times after a long day on the water I get home and nap. I set my alarm for every hour to get up and check myself for anything advanced going on.

If you have ever fished saltwater you have already been exposed every trip. It is naturally occurring all over in every season in every water condition. Even beachfront mid winter. It is simply more prolific in back bay mid summer.

Go and enjoy. Stay aware. Anything wierd is direct to hospital with immediate action. Inform hospital staff of your activities in saltwater and you want to be treated for vibrio and other saltwater infections like bacteria marinum. It is very treatable early. Not so much late.

Great to know and thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria [Re: Sgrem] #13391071 01/03/20 12:38 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sgrem

makes me feel better
i love getting in the water
& always have cuts

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide