Texas Fishing Forum

WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria

Posted By: wildbyon

WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/11/19 11:09 PM

A warning to all those who wade the bay waters. While wading the waters near POC in late September/early October, I contracted a flesh eating bacteria in my right calf. It spread like wild fire and I've spent the last 7 weeks in the hospital having 5 surgeries. I entered the hospital within 24 hrs. of the first symptoms septic with organs shutting down and was given a 25% chance of survival and then a 25% chance to save my leg. I survived and kept my leg but lost 35 lbs. and can't put weight on the leg so getting around with a walker. I'm still going 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hr. hyperbaric oxygen treatments and wound dressing changes MWF.

I will never wade fish again! Just wanted to warn everyone to the dangers.
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/11/19 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by wildbyon
A warning to all those who wade the bay waters. While wading the waters near POC in late September/early October, I contracted a flesh eating bacteria in my right calf. It spread like wild fire and I've spent the last 7 weeks in the hospital having 5 surgeries. I entered the hospital within 24 hrs. of the first symptoms septic with organs shutting down and was given a 25% chance of survival and then a 25% chance to save my leg. I survived and kept my leg but lost 35 lbs. and can't put weight on the leg so getting around with a walker. I'm still going 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hr. hyperbaric oxygen treatments and wound dressing changes MWF.

I will never wade fish again! Just wanted to warn everyone to the dangers.

My family and I frequently wade in the Gulf and other near shore waters, so we've studied the issues thoroughly. This article is a pretty good summary:

https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/07/how-to-avoid-flesh-eating-bacteria-at-the-beach-this-summer/

Other than avoiding wading completely, the safest approach is to limit wading to colder months and use waders to avoid direct contact with water.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/12/19 01:17 AM

Glad your still breathing and I hope your leg heals. Did you have any wounds/cuts on your calf when you entered the water?
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/12/19 01:35 AM

It is good you did not wait any longer to go to the hospital or the outcome could have been worse. Thank you for providing information about your experience. This is a serious issue that we all need to be aware of. Fortunately it does not happen more often. I pray you will have a full recovery.
Posted By: wildbyon

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/12/19 11:30 AM

In hindsight, I do recall a small scratch on my calf. I'm also a diabetic so I guess I was the perfect storm. My wife and I have spent 2-3 weeks every year for the past several wading this area with no issues. We had spent 2 weeks wading this spring.

[Linked Image]

Wound is healing nicely(according to doctors) although it still looks pretty knarley!!
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/12/19 01:26 PM

OMG

Looks like I am done with wet wading.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/12/19 02:19 PM

what about swimming in the surf?
Posted By: ghostlight

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/19/19 04:25 PM

Just wondering if this bacteria is related to the test bacteria used on oil spills

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/19/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
what about swimming in the surf?

Swim at your own risk also. Everyone should be aware of this bacteria. Saltwater or freshwater, open wounds of any kind..I wouldn't chance it. Check yourself and your siblings before entering the water. That goes for cuts on your hands even while in a boat. We all tend to "wash" our hands in the water from time to time.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/22/19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghostlight
Just wondering if this bacteria is related to the test bacteria used on oil spills

no, this is naturally occurring bacteria that occurs in most salt water areas...especially in warmer months.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 12/22/19 05:08 PM

I do all my of my salt water fishing from a boat. Glad you were able to get the treatment in time. Hopefully you will make a full recovery! Defiantly something to think about!
Posted By: Thunk

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/02/20 03:30 AM

Vibrio bacterium is an occurrence in many bodies of water especially when layers of silt are stirred up. Necrotizing bacteria can be deadly! People with compromised immune systems should not take any chances. Sorry about your experience. Thanks for continuing to help/educate! Prayers for continued healing.
Posted By: Sgrem

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/02/20 05:02 AM

I am a full time guide in the Texas Gulf Coast. Vibrio is very serious. But you must stay aware and educate yourself. If you have ever been to the beach, fished in a boat or wade fished, or ever handled bait, or ever handled a fish you have been exposed to vibrio and your bodies immune system fought it off as normal. If you have a compromised immune system, diabetic, or alcoholic you are too sick to fight off that bacteria and should avoid.

I gets cuts and scrapes every trip. 190 to 290 days a year on the water. I have been exposed to vibrio every time.

One misconception is washing hands or using hebiclens etc. If vibrio touches you in any open wound it is too late. It will be up to your bodies immune system to fight it off which most do normally as a nonevent. You cannot get soap or chlorine or whatever on it fast enough.

Often times after a long day on the water I get home and nap. I set my alarm for every hour to get up and check myself for anything advanced going on.

If you have ever fished saltwater you have already been exposed every trip. It is naturally occurring all over in every season in every water condition. Even beachfront mid winter. It is simply more prolific in back bay mid summer.

Go and enjoy. Stay aware. Anything wierd is direct to hospital with immediate action. Inform hospital staff of your activities in saltwater and you want to be treated for vibrio and other saltwater infections like bacteria marinum. It is very treatable early. Not so much late.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/02/20 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sgrem
I am a full time guide in the Texas Gulf Coast. Vibrio is very serious. But you must stay aware and educate yourself. If you have ever been to the beach, fished in a boat or wade fished, or ever handled bait, or ever handled a fish you have been exposed to vibrio and your bodies immune system fought it off as normal. If you have a compromised immune system, diabetic, or alcoholic you are too sick to fight off that bacteria and should avoid.

I gets cuts and scrapes every trip. 190 to 290 days a year on the water. I have been exposed to vibrio every time.

One misconception is washing hands or using hebiclens etc. If vibrio touches you in any open wound it is too late. It will be up to your bodies immune system to fight it off which most do normally as a nonevent. You cannot get soap or chlorine or whatever on it fast enough.

Often times after a long day on the water I get home and nap. I set my alarm for every hour to get up and check myself for anything advanced going on.

If you have ever fished saltwater you have already been exposed every trip. It is naturally occurring all over in every season in every water condition. Even beachfront mid winter. It is simply more prolific in back bay mid summer.

Go and enjoy. Stay aware. Anything wierd is direct to hospital with immediate action. Inform hospital staff of your activities in saltwater and you want to be treated for vibrio and other saltwater infections like bacteria marinum. It is very treatable early. Not so much late.

Great to know and thanks for sharing. thumb
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/03/20 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sgrem

makes me feel better
i love getting in the water
& always have cuts
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/03/20 01:46 AM

Thanks for sharing. Grew up fishing the coast and many days spent surf fishing and wading the flats. My 'wet wade' days are over. Not worth taking the chance.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/03/20 09:10 PM

Getting this bacteria does not always involve wading. You can get it just by coming in contact with the water, as all angler do. The important issue is to watch for signs of your system not being able to handle the bacteria and act quickly.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/03/20 09:41 PM

Well, no more wet wading for me.....

I fish POC often too, just got back from a week long duck hunt wading around in that water.

Re: WARNING! Flesh Eating Bacteria - 01/04/20 01:56 AM

Just remember....one can get this in Freshwater also.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum