Forums59
Topics1,037,836
Posts13,935,340
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears #13295241 09/27/19 09:18 PM
T
Texas Grown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Has anybody seen this? I just saw something about it in the "News & Announcements" forum here. This also includes perch traps, jug lines, minnow traps, hand lines, and other fishing devices.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20190927b

Voice your opinions and concerns.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/public_comment/

G3 river Jon - "The Wild Thing"

"The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!"
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13298366 10/01/19 01:34 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Great!....Just what we need, in more regulations.
If people aren't removing their lines after 10 days, why will they remove them in 4?
Enforcing the old rule as well as any new rule is the problem, and not limiting the days.

Having public meetings is a dog and pony show, as they have already made up their minds

Just one more cast!

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13298504 10/01/19 03:21 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I would rather see a three day gear tag renewal or removal of the lines. Four day won't get the weekend city slickers to take up their Walmart trot lines.

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13298676 10/01/19 05:28 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We ran jugs when I was a kid. Dad told us to always keep an eye on em, Jugs have a habit of swimming off he’d say. I don’t jug fish anymore but I wish guys followed Dad’s rule. I’ve seen jugs moving at a high rate of speed over a mile from where the other jugs were lined. By the time the bass fisherman got back to run his lines that big fish was long gone. Can’t hardly find a cove that doesn’t have at least 1 or 2 abandoned jugs. I will remove an old one cuz I don’t like looking at the same piece of floating trash every week. They rarely have a tag.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: BillS2006] #13298733 10/01/19 06:28 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BillS2006
I would rather see a three day gear tag renewal or removal of the lines

Same here. I don't know how effective it will/would be, but it is a step. Lakes like Arrowhead are full of those abandoned lines, I always seem to get hung up on one or two each time I go there.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13298745 10/01/19 06:35 PM
S
silvers Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
some of my best fishing days are going to the lake on Tuesday after a holiday and collecting all the abandoned jugs left from the long weekend

call it what you will...he is not definitely not anywhere near the top of the list for QB's that I would choose needing a FG or touchdown drive late in the game.
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13299218 10/02/19 02:53 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
You do not need to also put a gear tag with info, on a jug (such as a bleach jug). You are allowed to put that info on the jug itself. Also, since my "Planter" trotlines use fender floats on each end out in the big water, the gear tag info can be put on the floats as well.

I will be proposing another option, at least for trotlines, as to the renewal time. And I make note of a serious problem with the extra identifying float (s).

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Catfish Lynn] #13299507 10/02/19 02:44 PM
T
Tanner101 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Catfish Lynn
You do not need to also put a gear tag with info, on a jug (such as a bleach jug). You are allowed to put that info on the jug itself. Also, since my "Planter" trotlines use fender floats on each end out in the big water, the gear tag info can be put on the floats as well.

I will be proposing another option, at least for trotlines, as to the renewal time. And I make note of a serious problem with the extra identifying float (s).

That is accurate, currently. But I don't see that they retained that wording in the new version. The way I read it a gear tag and a separate marker buoy will be required for jugs and trot line floats. I made a comment requesting adding wording allowing marking of the jug/floats to suffice as a gear tag. Also that adding a marker buoy to a colored floating device adds no value and shouldn't be included.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13299722 10/02/19 05:38 PM
F
FishinGlenn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I agree that passive fishing gear should not be left out so long. I always stay close to my Noodle Sticks and don't leave them out overnight. My regular sticks, which I think are quite visible, only have a two inch diameter foam and would thus become illegal. My Monster Noodle Sticks use the larger three inch diameter pool noodles, though.

Attached Files IMG_20191002_122303248.jpg
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13300045 10/02/19 11:10 PM
T
Texas Grown Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Looks like most all buoys with floats less than 6" in length and 3" in width will be illegal. Includes jug lines. No more 2-1/2" diameter pool noodles. Make sure they are 3" or larger. Think I'd rather have larger diameters anyway. Like above, I made some jugs monster noodles a few years ago. But also have a bunch of the smaller noodle jugs. And "spool type" jugs that may no longer be legal if this proposal holds.

G3 river Jon - "The Wild Thing"

"The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!"
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13300233 10/03/19 02:26 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Sorry I did not define my response (notes) better. "Gato" was making comment, on what I thought he was referencing-- current guidelines. Yes, it does seem they want a separate marker float with the extra info. Sort of redundant.

On my SW (Shallow Water) trotlines, I do not use floats to mark the ends, I utilize tags (from white vinyl of cut-up punctured fender floats) tied to the main line according specs (as to placement). The idea I was taught was to get them low in the water from the item tied to, to prevent the main line from being cut by props, as well as becoming entangled.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13309820 10/13/19 03:36 AM
Z
zebcoomega1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Family has been trotlining more yrs than most on this site has been alive. 10 days
Is good time on changing tags. 4 days makes it to tough to change out especially if you live
50 miles from lake and weather is to bad to get on lake. Out of 50 yrs of trotlining never caught
a black bass . few crappie per yr but mostly drum and carp.buffalo. besides catfish. Against
using floats also to mark trotline it just invites people to run your lines and steal them.
Noodles need to be picked up in 48hrs imo but trotline rules are good where there at.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13309861 10/13/19 05:01 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I agree with you "zebcoomega1". I am in the process of writing up my essay. And as to trotlines, those points (notations) are included. In the event of extremely bad weather, are we to risk ours, as well as other lives in trying to make a 4 day deadline, which would also put those who might try to risk their lives. My proposal will include taking off the leaders & hooks, or hanging them in the "saddle" (meaning to put the hook in the swivel). It is easy to pull jugs fast. But trotlines, if done properly, take time to set out & time to retrieve. Especially my "Planter" trotlines, which use a 60 to 72# anchor (concrete in a 3.5 gallon bucket) on each end. Planting them is easy. But pulling them in 4 days will simply kill you by hoisting them back up into the boat from a 35 to 40 foot depth.

And yes, the floats only open some more problems, such as others running your lines, as well as those who think they are the new "sheriff" in town & start snipping your lines. I recall one game warden back in the 1980s on the Trinity River between TX Hwy 21 & Bedias Creek, who would write you up or run you in, if he caught you touching other people's lines or property. If a set line was illegal, he would pull it. Every few months, they would run the river dragging for illegal lines. And that includes abandoned lines.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13310881 10/14/19 03:44 AM
J
jmh004 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Why not just enforce the laws already in place? There’s lines all over that are “abandoned”. If it’s not tagged properly, just cut it and pull it.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Texas Grown] #13310908 10/14/19 04:53 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Noted ... with my comments:

Why not just enforce the laws already in place?
... Very true.

There’s lines all over that are “abandoned”. If it’s not tagged properly, just cut it and pull it.
... again Very True. Except for one thing. It needs to be the Law Enforcement (the proper authority who has been authorized to do so) only to cut & pull (confiscate) the line. Then from there, the Law Enforcement authorized agent has several options, such as tracking down the owner, to find out why it was abandoned, among many options. But for anybody else to just cut the lines & discard them, it then becomes a serious problem. This is how lawlessness begins, very subtle at first. Best thing to do, is call an agency to advise them where the line is located & let them do their job.

Back in the 1980s, as I mentioned one Game Warden who ran the area I camped & fished on the Trinity River, whenever we crossed paths, we would stop & chat. At that time they had just started the one tag on one side of a trotline law. He shared a situation to where he was checking a line from one side, but no tag. He said the line was hung before coming to the other side. He tried to find where it might be located, but failed in that attempt. So, since he could not find the one tag, his job was top cut & pull (retrieve or confiscate) the trotline. As he cut the side he could access, as he was pulling the line, it became untangled on the opposite side. Sure enough, it did have the tag on that side. So, he cut that side & very neatly piled the line on that side of the bank, so hopefully the owner could retrieve it later (if someone else did not steal it first).

He told me that because of this, it was best to put tags on both sides of a trotline. He also suggested on throwlines, that I might tag them too, even though it was not required at that time. He explained that if he came across someone who was not the person on the tag, he would either write them up, or haul them in, depending on the situation.

So I was probably one of the very first ones who tagged everything, and tagged each side of a trotline.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide