Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212480 07/12/19 12:20 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Thats pretty cool. I would like one of these.

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: StuntMan] #13212490 07/12/19 12:26 PM
junbengreat Offline OP
not so great
OP Offline
not so great
Originally Posted by StuntMan
Did they treat you right at Outdoor world?

Yes they did. I was in and out quick and they gave me and the family lots of merchandise for free.

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: Jpurdue] #13212513 07/12/19 12:42 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
Get a quote for mowing your lawn from a landscaper. Then figure out the payback. If the mower lasts longer than the number of months youd pay a landscaper, not an idiot. Otherwise...Idiot.

I've done the math a 100 times. I just can not cost justify mowing my own lawn. Heck, just for fun lets do it again. Let's say a decent mower is 5K. You can get a half acre mowed for 40 bucks in Houston as I recall. Say 30 cuts a year for 1200 bucks annually. To do it yourself, you've got a 4.1 year payback just on the mower. Then add in fuel, oil, maintenance. Let's call that 250 per year. Let's say you can mow the whole thing and do the trim work in 1.5 hours. If you value your time at 25 dollars and hour, that's $1125. Add in the fuel and maintenance cost and you are actually worse off mowing your own lawn.

In my mind the only time it make sense to mow your own lawn is:
1. You are in an area where the cost to outsource it is extremely high
2. You have an enormous lawn (in which case you should buy your own equipment and hire a neighbor kid)
3. You have some kind of a Napoleon complex where you need to have the best looking yard in the neighborhood
4. You put close to zero value on your time (which in my opinion, should be viewed as your single most expensive asset)

Don't forget to lather up to avoid skin cancer each time you mow as well. See my other post on how you'll die.

You forgot to factor in the following:
Doing your own yard work is good for your T level--priceless
The joy of being outdoors---priceless
Getting some exercise--priceless
Bragging rights that you are the only one on the block that does your own yard work--priceless
Not having to worry about accidentally hiring an improperly documented employee--priceless

[Linked Image]
Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212537 07/12/19 01:04 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
The math get more complicated than maybe it seems. Lawn services have issues. Some now arent able to find enough workers and will quit you or get unreliable. Thats a hassle riding herd on a balky lawn service. Or they get some new guy that messes up your yard. These things have happened to me and others in my area.

My wooded yard is 6.5 acres and its hard to find anyone to simply mow, no trimming, it for less than $250. I enjoy the mowing and upkeep so its become sort of a hobby. I now mow and trim better than the professionals and get major wife points for making it look extra nice. Its a fitness plan too and helps keep the weight off. Im pretty good at doing some of the simple maintenance on our 60 JD ZTR. Belt and filter changes, blade sharpening or replacement, lubrication but still major stuff happens to mowers and it needs to go into the shop and then I might have to spot hire someone to mow for a while. Its good to cultivate an outside service that can fill in if you or the mower go onto the IL.

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212548 07/12/19 01:12 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
I know nothing about the Bobcats but their other stuff has a good rep. Probably a good choice.

Secondly , every man has the right and should get whatever man-toys he desires for the domicile.

I vote not an idiot !

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: CCTX] #13212558 07/12/19 01:21 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by collincountytx
Get a quote for mowing your lawn from a landscaper. Then figure out the payback. If the mower lasts longer than the number of months youd pay a landscaper, not an idiot. Otherwise...Idiot.

I've done the math a 100 times. I just can not cost justify mowing my own lawn. Heck, just for fun lets do it again. Let's say a decent mower is 5K. You can get a half acre mowed for 40 bucks in Houston as I recall. Say 30 cuts a year for 1200 bucks annually. To do it yourself, you've got a 4.1 year payback just on the mower. Then add in fuel, oil, maintenance. Let's call that 250 per year. Let's say you can mow the whole thing and do the trim work in 1.5 hours. If you value your time at 25 dollars and hour, that's $1125. Add in the fuel and maintenance cost and you are actually worse off mowing your own lawn.

2. You have an enormous lawn (in which case you should buy your own equipment and hire a neighbor kid)
3. You have some kind of a Napoleon complex where you need to have the best looking yard in the neighborhood
4. You put close to zero value on your time (which in my opinion, should be viewed as your single most expensive asset)

Don't forget to lather up to avoid skin cancer each time you mow as well. See my other post on how you'll die.

Bragging rights that you are the only one on the block that does your own yard work--priceless
Not having to worry about accidentally hiring an improperly documented employee--priceless

Take all the stuff and just insert fishing instead of mowing, which is what I'll be doing with my extra time!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: Jpurdue] #13212611 07/12/19 01:50 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Would you mind cost analyzing permanent female live in v.s. rental for me?
bannana2

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: T Bird] #13212612 07/12/19 01:52 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by T Bird

Would you mind cost analyzing permanent female live in v.s. rental for me?
bannana2

Done that math as well. Rental is FOR SURE cheaper. roflmao

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212618 07/12/19 01:55 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Nice to see you upgrading from the push mower JBG cheers peep
[Linked Image]

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: H.Town_paddler] #13212622 07/12/19 01:59 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

This!

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: TR176] #13212649 07/12/19 02:15 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by TR176
If you had asked for advice here you would have had so many testimonials your grass would die of old age before you bought one.

roflmao So true.

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212702 07/12/19 02:51 PM
CaptainCrunch Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Congrats on the new mower. Now that you have it, rip that output guard off the right side and install a sheet metal plate to block the output. The mower will mulch your grass clippings and you'll be able to mow close on both sides.

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: CCTX] #13212823 07/12/19 05:01 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Originally Posted by collincountytx
Get a quote for mowing your lawn from a landscaper. Then figure out the payback. If the mower lasts longer than the number of months you’d pay a landscaper, not an idiot. Otherwise...Idiot.

"Not having to worry about accidentally hiring an improperly documented employee--priceless" This would fall under don't do business with family for JBG... LOL (just playing.)

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212837 07/12/19 05:12 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yes you are. Not sure about that mower but I hope I could help answer your question

Re: Am I an idiot? [Re: junbengreat] #13212840 07/12/19 05:13 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I paid $500 for my cub cadet ZTR. is that one cheeper?

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide