Texas Fishing Forum

Am I an idiot?

Posted By: junbengreat

Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:53 AM

Bought a new zero turn. Pulled the trigger on a bobcat crz. Yay or nay on these?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:55 AM

Looks nice!
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:56 AM

Did they fix your water issues ?
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:57 AM

Get a quote for mowing your lawn from a landscaper. Then figure out the payback. If the mower lasts longer than the number of months you’d pay a landscaper, not an idiot. Otherwise...Idiot.

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
Did they fix your water issues ?

Yes. They replaced water heater
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:59 AM

Zero turn is only way to go if u have over 1/2 acre or more! thumb
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:00 AM

Not if your wife will drive it.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:11 AM

Looks like you have a small deck...for a zero turn mower.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:14 AM

Need an umbrella and beer holder...

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Beer Money
Looks like you have a small deck...for a zero turn mower.

It’s 48
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Team Skeeterless
Zero turn is only way to go if u have over 1/2 acre or more! thumb

I think the only mistake you made is not having a large chunk of carpet to drag around to pick up burrs in the yard.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:27 AM

Yes. Next question.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:35 AM

No

cheers
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
Get a quote for mowing your lawn from a landscaper. Then figure out the payback. If the mower lasts longer than the number of months you’d pay a landscaper, not an idiot. Otherwise...Idiot.

Thanks Captain Obvious....
Posted By: TR176

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:56 AM

If you had asked for advice here you would have had so many testimonials your grass would die of old age before you bought one.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:57 AM

Does it wheelie
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:58 AM

My zero turns are my some of my favorite things
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 03:35 AM

Looks great!

...!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 03:38 AM

I think we all know the answer to your question
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 03:57 AM

Bobcat looks good, I’ve seen some crews starting to use them so they must be decent or they selling em dirt cheap one.

I have a jd zero turn, but still hate mowing so pay a yard guy .. so I’ve set the idiot bar pretty high, gonna be hard to beat
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat

Actually, there is a time value of money aspect that in't being taken into account with this methodology.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by sdavis24
Originally Posted by BCBassCat

Actually, there is a time value of money aspect that in't being taken into account with this methodology.

What rate of return would you assume?
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 04:15 AM

Shoot first and ask questions later sir . That is the proper way to pull the trigger
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 09:23 AM

Very nice
Don’t forget to wear your kill switch if it’s not under the seat.
Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 11:10 AM

thumb
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 11:22 AM

I'd be pizzed if someone said I had a small deck!
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 11:46 AM

Every man should own a zero turn mower
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 11:47 AM

You forgot to factor in that you’ve proven time and time again that you’re the worst Mexican ever, and are incapable of performing the simplest of tasks in the unskilled trades. Yes, you’re an idiot, and I predict that you either flip that thing into the nearest body of water, or you drive it through your fence, then end up parking it in the garage and hiring out to a lawn service.
Posted By: StuntMan

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 12:00 PM

Did they treat you right at Outdoor world?
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 12:13 PM

I've done the math a 100 times. I just can not cost justify mowing my own lawn. Heck, just for fun lets do it again. Let's say a decent mower is 5K. You can get a half acre mowed for 40 bucks in Houston as I recall. Say 30 cuts a year for 1200 bucks annually. To do it yourself, you've got a 4.1 year payback just on the mower. Then add in fuel, oil, maintenance. Let's call that 250 per year. Let's say you can mow the whole thing and do the trim work in 1.5 hours. If you value your time at 25 dollars and hour, that's $1125. Add in the fuel and maintenance cost and you are actually worse off mowing your own lawn.

In my mind the only time it make sense to mow your own lawn is:
1. You are in an area where the cost to outsource it is extremely high
2. You have an enormous lawn (in which case you should buy your own equipment and hire a neighbor kid)
3. You have some kind of a Napoleon complex where you need to have the best looking yard in the neighborhood
4. You put close to zero value on your time (which in my opinion, should be viewed as your single most expensive asset)

Don't forget to lather up to avoid skin cancer each time you mow as well. See my other post on how you'll die.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 12:20 PM

Thats pretty cool. I would like one of these.

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by StuntMan
Did they treat you right at Outdoor world?

Yes they did. I was in and out quick and they gave me and the family lots of merchandise for free.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

I've done the math a 100 times. I just can not cost justify mowing my own lawn. Heck, just for fun lets do it again. Let's say a decent mower is 5K. You can get a half acre mowed for 40 bucks in Houston as I recall. Say 30 cuts a year for 1200 bucks annually. To do it yourself, you've got a 4.1 year payback just on the mower. Then add in fuel, oil, maintenance. Let's call that 250 per year. Let's say you can mow the whole thing and do the trim work in 1.5 hours. If you value your time at 25 dollars and hour, that's $1125. Add in the fuel and maintenance cost and you are actually worse off mowing your own lawn.

2. You have an enormous lawn (in which case you should buy your own equipment and hire a neighbor kid)
3. You have some kind of a Napoleon complex where you need to have the best looking yard in the neighborhood
4. You put close to zero value on your time (which in my opinion, should be viewed as your single most expensive asset)

Don't forget to lather up to avoid skin cancer each time you mow as well. See my other post on how you'll die.

You forgot to factor in the following:
Doing your own yard work is good for your T level--priceless
The joy of being outdoors---priceless
Getting some exercise--priceless
Bragging rights that you are the only one on the block that does your own yard work--priceless
Not having to worry about accidentally hiring an improperly documented employee--priceless
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:04 PM

The math get more complicated than maybe it seems. Lawn services have issues. Some now aren’t able to find enough workers and will quit you or get unreliable. That’s a hassle riding herd on a balky lawn service. Or they get some new guy that messes up your yard. These things have happened to me and others in my area.

My wooded yard is 6.5 acres and it’s hard to find anyone to simply mow, no trimming, it for less than $250. I enjoy the mowing and upkeep so it’s become sort of a hobby. I now mow and trim better than the professionals and get major wife points for making it look extra nice. It’s a fitness plan too and helps keep the weight off. I’m pretty good at doing some of the simple maintenance on our 60” JD ZTR. Belt and filter changes, blade sharpening or replacement, lubrication but still major stuff happens to mowers and it needs to go into the shop and then I might have to spot hire someone to mow for a while. It’s good to cultivate an outside service that can fill in if you or the mower go onto the IL.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:12 PM

I know nothing about the Bobcats but their other stuff has a good rep. Probably a good choice.

Secondly , every man has the right and should get whatever man-toys he desires for the domicile.

I vote not an idiot !

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx

Bragging rights that you are the only one on the block that does your own yard work--priceless
Not having to worry about accidentally hiring an improperly documented employee--priceless

Take all the stuff and just insert fishing instead of mowing, which is what I'll be doing with my extra time!
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:50 PM

Would you mind cost analyzing permanent female live in v.s. rental for me?
bannana2

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird

Would you mind cost analyzing permanent female live in v.s. rental for me?
bannana2

Done that math as well. Rental is FOR SURE cheaper. roflmao
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:55 PM

Nice to see you upgrading from the push mower JBG cheers peep
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 01:59 PM

This!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TR176
If you had asked for advice here you would have had so many testimonials your grass would die of old age before you bought one.

roflmao So true.
Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 02:51 PM

Congrats on the new mower. Now that you have it, rip that output guard off the right side and install a sheet metal plate to block the output. The mower will mulch your grass clippings and you'll be able to mow close on both sides.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx

"Not having to worry about accidentally hiring an improperly documented employee--priceless" This would fall under don't do business with family for JBG... LOL (just playing.)
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 05:12 PM

Yes you are. Not sure about that mower but I hope I could help answer your question
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Am I an idiot? - 07/12/19 05:13 PM

I paid $500 for my cub cadet ZTR. is that one cheeper?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum