Forums59
Topics1,039,272
Posts13,962,008
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201408 07/01/19 05:58 PM
S
SkeeterEater Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
yes there is a ton of pressure. The tournament mortality rate is no where near 20 percent however. I would think its well under 5 percent. I am sure the numbers out there and with most of the fish that are being brought in on tournaments 99 percent of those fish are under the slot so if a few die it is really not bad small fish management.
That being said the lake during the spawn for the last 4-5 years has been up with vegitation so the spawns have been off the chart good imo.

Take Dead Aim
I'd rather be lost on the water than found at work!
SkeeterEater
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: Douglas J] #13201425 07/01/19 06:15 PM
T
TxRanger1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by Douglas J
To the OP, why would you buy and build at a place you hate?

Do you take meds? Angry old man? Someone slipped in and BOOM, BOOM #$%ed your old lady while you were trying to catch a fish? Your dad didn't take you fishing? Your mother wouldn't hold you?

Dude, calm down. It will be okay.

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201432 07/01/19 06:25 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by olducker
I want to begin a discussion about tournaments on Lake Fork. I am in process of building a home on the Lake after much thought about which lake to retire upon. I choose Fork for a number of reasons. I knew the lake was very pressured, and I am prepared to deal with that. What I would like some help understanding is why the local folks are so welcoming to these national tournaments. They will bring more attention to a small (in comparison to other reservoirs) lake. The pressure on the fishery will diminish the fish stocks in the lake. Catch and release though widely practiced probably results in a substantial percentage of mortality--- my guess 20%. The tournaments are relentless and every week. I fear they will kill the goose that lays the Golden egg. It isn't just bass tournaments, crappie and catfish are under attack as well. They aren't catch and release for the most part.
I know that business in the area need the dollars, but you have to wonder how much they will make if they destroy the fishery. I just don't see national attention as a good thing. I am glad the legends folks left the area proclaiming how friendly the local folks were; after all we are Texans.. Still, I just don't understand how there isn't more local concern for the fishery in general. Why does Texas parks and Wildlife sponsor and support this event? It's feather in their hat today for a depleted "has been" fishery tomorrow. The reservoir is aging and the guide numbers are staggering. Why does the SRA sponsor this event? What do they get from the notoriety? Why did folks volunteer for various tasks to facilitate the tournament? Just opening these thoughts for discussion and perhaps a little better understanding..

I'm betting your attempt to stir the pot didn't go as you planned.
I've been fishing Fork since the days when we snuck in (I was younger then) and fished the brood ponds.....long before the lake was finished. The lake has had a few "downs" and to be successful on it, you have to evolve with it. If your doing the same thing you did 10 years ago, or even last year, your catch rate will be affected. As stated, one of the premier lakes in the NATION and it's not going anywhere. People have been crying doom and gloom for years but mother Fork just keeps producing.

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: Txduckhunter] #13201448 07/01/19 06:49 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
I want to begin a discussion about tournaments on Lake Fork. I am in process of building a home on the Lake after much thought about which lake to retire upon. I choose Fork for a number of reasons. I knew the lake was very pressured, and I am prepared to deal with that. What I would like some help understanding is why the local folks are so welcoming to these national tournaments. They will bring more attention to a small (in comparison to other reservoirs) lake. The pressure on the fishery will diminish the fish stocks in the lake. Catch and release though widely practiced probably results in a substantial percentage of mortality--- my guess 20%. The tournaments are relentless and every week. I fear they will kill the goose that lays the Golden egg. It isn't just bass tournaments, crappie and catfish are under attack as well. They aren't catch and release for the most part.
I know that business in the area need the dollars, but you have to wonder how much they will make if they destroy the fishery. I just don't see national attention as a good thing. I am glad the legends folks left the area proclaiming how friendly the local folks were; after all we are Texans.. Still, I just don't understand how there isn't more local concern for the fishery in general. Why does Texas parks and Wildlife sponsor and support this event? It's feather in their hat today for a depleted "has been" fishery tomorrow. The reservoir is aging and the guide numbers are staggering. Why does the SRA sponsor this event? What do they get from the notoriety? Why did folks volunteer for various tasks to facilitate the tournament? Just opening these thoughts for discussion and perhaps a little better understanding..

I'm betting your attempt to stir the pot didn't go as you planned.
I've been fishing Fork since the days when we snuck in (I was younger then) and fished the brood ponds.....long before the lake was finished. The lake has had a few "downs" and to be successful on it, you have to evolve with it. If your doing the same thing you did 10 years ago, or even last year, your catch rate will be affected. As stated, one of the premier lakes in the NATION and it's not going anywhere. People have been crying doom and gloom for years but mother Fork just keeps producing.

It has been a lopsided dialogue so far. The OP is MIA. Haha.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201474 07/01/19 07:18 PM
TX Strampion Offline
Angler
Angler
I get the feeling that you're not overly knowledgeable in lake Fork history . If I were looking for a leisure lake to retire to, it would be one of my very last choices in the state.

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13201475 07/01/19 07:21 PM
J
jbw3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The OP isn't MIA...he's searching for the "delete post" function...

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201560 07/01/19 08:40 PM
O
olducker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
I am Not missing,,, still working for a living.. Retiring soon.. I think you guys are misunderstanding the point of the conversation. I am just seeking understanding about the dynamics that drive the Bass fishing on Fork. I was aware of the tournaments and pressure, but I suppose the Elite tournament kind of was more than expected. This was just an information seeking thread. I expected a very pro tournament response under the bass section here on the fishing forum. I must say I did not expect such lack of civility. I am not going to respond in kind because that is not the general nature of this forum. I am moving to Fork partly for the friendly folks that I have met in the area. I enjoy all types of fishing including bass fishing. I really had no agenda here. I just thought it odd that a national spotlight would be considered a good thing by local folks.. The argument about tournaments creating a lot of stocking therefor negating the negative pressure on the fishery is a weak one. A 3 inch bass takes how many years to become over the slot?? No need to suggest I buy elsewhere or that I fall in the lake and not come out. I was hunting and fishing on Fork when it first opened. I had kids and began a business that slowly replaced all my fishing time. I have family in the Fork area and need to stay close to the Dallas metromess. I always wanted to return later in life and fish my last days. I suppose I have become apprehensive about the pressure hence the thread. I really appreciate the feed back (well most of it)

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201567 07/01/19 08:49 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I am Not missing,,, still working for a living.. Retiring soon.. I think you guys are misunderstanding the point of the conversation. I am just seeking understanding about the dynamics that drive the Bass fishing on Fork. I was aware of the tournaments and pressure, but I suppose the Elite tournament kind of was more than expected. This was just an information seeking thread. I expected a very pro tournament response under the bass section here on the fishing forum. I must say I did not expect such lack of civility. I am not going to respond in kind because that is not the general nature of this forum. I am moving to Fork partly for the friendly folks that I have met in the area. I enjoy all types of fishing including bass fishing. I really had no agenda here. I just thought it odd that a national spotlight would be considered a good thing by local folks.. The argument about tournaments creating a lot of stocking therefor negating the negative pressure on the fishery is a weak one. A 3 inch bass takes how many years to become over the slot?? No need to suggest I buy elsewhere or that I fall in the lake and not come out. I was hunting and fishing on Fork when it first opened. I had kids and began a business that slowly replaced all my fishing time. I have family in the Fork area and need to stay close to the Dallas metromess. I always wanted to return later in life and fish my last days. I suppose I have become apprehensive about the pressure hence the thread. I really appreciate the feed back (well most of it)

no one truly understands the dynamic that is Fork. It just is.
As to tournaments and tournament pressure, it is and always has been here. It helps drive some of the local economy but what you should be more worried about is what happens down the road as more and more people pour into the area. Will it end up like speeder creek and twok, as far as living around the lake or will it be able to maintain a as it is?

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201689 07/01/19 11:17 PM
L
LA Ron Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Olducker don't worry about the tournaments or how much pressure Fork gets. When you retire, fish on Wednesday and Thursday. The fish seem to settle down. I have also seen Saturdays in the spring when 20 boats will troll thru the areas the fish are in . When it settles down the fish will start biting again. You have to understand this is a Florida strain bass. And they can be pretty finicky at times. I would consider myself a very blessed fisherman if I could retire on Lake Fork. The Goat Lake! Every trip I plan and every cast I make I think" This may be the one". Just enjoy every day you get to fish.

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201719 07/01/19 11:49 PM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Bois dArc Lake is going to render Fork obsolete so there will be no worries. I can just imagine how many DFW area fisher people are going to be there for at least the first 5 years. Its at a minimum an hour closer than Fork and TPW are already starting to gear up to load it with Florida strain bass. If its half as good as Fork was then Fork will be like a ghost town. JMHO

Last edited by machinist; 07/01/19 11:50 PM.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: machinist] #13201726 07/02/19 12:01 AM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by machinist
Bois dArc Lake is going to render Fork obsolete so there will be no worries.

That is exactly what they said about Cooper. LOL

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: spacejunkie] #13201740 07/02/19 12:16 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
If you knew all this ahead of time then why are you still moving there? Are you going to complain about it for the rest of your life. If so I suggest you need to find a different lake to retire on. Life is too short to put yourself in a place where you are going to always find faults and live to regret what you did.

Exactly my thoughts also.

Do some research and just see how many overs have been caught out of Fork this year and it is only half over since you seem to think Fork is headed for doom and gloom.

Last edited by ezbassin; 07/02/19 12:24 AM.
Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: machinist] #13201819 07/02/19 01:28 AM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Bois dArc Lake is going to render Fork obsolete so there will be no worries. I can just imagine how many DFW area fisher people are going to be there for at least the first 5 years. Its at a minimum an hour closer than Fork

We need about 10 Bois d'Arc lakes in North Texas. DFW is the reason Cooper isn't one of the nation's great bass lakes and other lakes will be drawn down to meet the Metroplex's incredible use of water as well. We have had numerous years of plentiful rain so the problem hasn't reared its head lately, but it will.

We need something to scatter the fishermen as well, especially in East Texas. Since the 2011 drought when DFW area lakes were too low for people to launch I think half the state decided fishing over here is better so they keep scheduling their tournaments here whether their lakes are full or not.

Fork is a different matter. It always received tremendous pressure no matter what. I wonder if it received more and bigger stockings because it grows more big fish or if it grows more big fish because it is stocked so often and heavily.

Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: Razorback] #13201830 07/02/19 01:43 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Razorback
Bois dArc Lake is going to render Fork obsolete so there will be no worries. I can just imagine how many DFW area fisher people are going to be there for at least the first 5 years. Its at a minimum an hour closer than Fork

We need about 10 Bois d'Arc lakes in North Texas. DFW is the reason Cooper isn't one of the nation's great bass lakes and other lakes will be drawn down to meet the Metroplex's incredible use of water as well. We have had numerous years of plentiful rain so the problem hasn't reared its head lately, but it will.

We need something to scatter the fishermen as well, especially in East Texas. Since the 2011 drought when DFW area lakes were too low for people to launch I think half the state decided fishing over here is better so they keep scheduling their tournaments here whether their lakes are full or not.

Fork is a different matter. It always received tremendous pressure no matter what. I wonder if it received more and bigger stockings because it grows more big fish or if it grows more big fish because it is stocked so often and heavily.

Get off my lawn!

You east Texan (almost Louisianaian) folks are so friendly. roflmao

A Texas fishing license is good at ALL Texas lakes. Even the ones youd rather us DFDub folks shouldnt be allowed to use. Hah.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Dialogue about Lake Fork and tournaments [Re: olducker] #13201912 07/02/19 02:58 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Lake Tyler used to be the bomb before the WWW. got it

#MFGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide