Forums59
Topics1,039,306
Posts13,962,624
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com #13167869 05/27/19 02:34 PM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report
Happy Memorial Day and please remember the falling heroes and their families that sacrificed so much for this great country. Summer isnt here officially for a few more weeks, but this is Texas and it is hot ! This is a great time of year to chase white bass and hybrid striped bass. Not only is the temperatures hot but so is the fishing. Learn to use your electronics successfully and you can have a fantastic day, and make sure on them cloudy days you have a good pair of binoculars . I am starting my day around 6:15 am and at that time the temperatures are nice and cool, it gets hot pretty fast on the bright sunny days so do not forget to apply your sunscreen early and often. The winds has been brutal as usual for this time of year so be careful navigating. The wind plays a big part in locating white bass, as it pushes them and bait into certain areas.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
The shad spawn is pretty much over , but you can still find schools of fish shallow early in the morning. We should have a very healthy shad and white bass population in the future , with all the rains and above normal water levels a lot of vegetation is under water and shad love that. White bass had very easy access to the creeks and rivers this year for their spawn. In the mornings there has been a little gull action when the fish are chasing bait so make sure to check the usual spots around Robertson Park, West and East side. A clue if this has been happing is the amount of bank fisherman in an area, as with long surf rods they can reach the fish also. If I do not find very much action that a way , I have been checking the usual points of interest like humps, long points and levees. This is where your ability to understand your electronics plays a big part. There is not a thermocline yet, as it is not hot enough and the fish could be anywhere in these locations from 14-31 ft. Do not be discouraged by those water depths as either work your way shallow to deep or vise versa. You usually will not mark huge schools, as most of the time you see either small clouds laying on the bottom or a few hooks suspended. When I mark those , I drop my trolling motor and spot lock. These fish will start coming in waves, next thing you know your graph is lit up , when the fish are no longer present on the graph just wait a few minutes and they usually return. I always tell people in easy terms , a hump is like a bowl turned upside down, they will usually work their way around it like a circular track, a point is like a ramp , they will work there way up and down it and a levee is like a highway, they usually speed their way back and forth. One more little insight , if you fish fish in one location at 25 ft . Be sure when you check other locations look in the same water depth, usually they in the same depths at other locations also. This will change through out the day with the sun but it gives you a starting point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
On an average, this time of year you need two set ups. The first to start your day is a tail spinner , like the humdingers or little Georges so if you find some birds working you can throw and retrieve. Dont forget if the fish are in a little deeper water, let it sink a few seconds then start reeling. The second is a slab and jig combo. I use a 3/4 oz to 1 oz slab with a crappie jig tied above it about 12-14 inches. When you locate fish on structure and if they are hugging bottom, you dont wan to pop the slab up. I usually just do small lifts and short bounces . A lot of time the will hit it earn it falls and your line will go slack , so remember , if you let it down and it doesnt go all the way down you have a fish. When watching my graph and I notice more hooks above the clouds then I will do a high lift and also tell 3-4 times up slowly then let it drop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bonus ( Crappie Fishing )
I do not get the chance to do a lot of different fishing this time of year. I did have the opportunity with a regular guest to do a little crappie fishing. Crappie can be a finicky fish that sometime requires a little more patients that I am use to. I do love a challenge and we did fairly well. I focuses mostly on sunken trees in deeper water. I would locate those with my DI portion of my graph and see if crappie where present. Used a double jig set up with soft plastics. Most of the fish owe caught , would hit the jig as I let it fall, line would just go slack and you would have to quickly reel to catch up. Once the water warms up some more you should be able to locate trees that are shallower and be successful . Although I have seen many people on the highway 30 bridge catching crappie also, I like the seclusion of fishing under water timber.

[Linked Image]

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide

We target White Bass year round . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13168235 05/27/19 11:42 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13168290 05/28/19 12:48 AM
Wet Rooster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Good Advice, very informative, I will use some of it. or i will just follow you around on the lake, promise i wont get to close.
Haha just kidding.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13168582 05/28/19 12:29 PM
Dennis Christian Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Great post, John! I wish other guides were as free with intel on fishing patterns, baits and rigging and how to work the baits. Your posts help those who have their own boats and will likely never hire a guide. So, you are being a good citizen, and I'd be willing to bet that sharing this kind of info does not negatively affect your business.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13168897 05/28/19 05:17 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Saturday morning the fish were solid on the sonars on the west side of Robertson. Could not stay on them when the wind started to crank. Lots of shad still spawning along the seawall at Terry park. I will be glad when this weather settles down. Boat can certainly handle the big stuff. We were on Twok on Sunday. It is just not as much fun when the bow is bouncing up and down 2'.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13169443 05/29/19 03:06 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Great detailed report and pics Twin brother thumb

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13169458 05/29/19 03:31 AM
C
Catch25 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Agreed Dennis

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13169571 05/29/19 12:36 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Great report! Good man for sharing the information.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13170122 05/29/19 07:34 PM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Great report John and informative. If yall want to catch a lot of fish John is your man.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13187388 06/16/19 03:18 PM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report
Lake Ray Hubbard June fishing can be a tricky month at times.Some mornings you have to wear a hoodie and some mornings you are sweating. When you have a pattern figured out, just like that it can change. One morning you have schooling fish , the next you dont. It is a transition month for sure on the lake for white bass fishing. Summer , although officially starts in a week or so , is not quite here yet, with the few cold fronts and much not needed rains has kept the temperature of the lake in the high 70s to barely 80. The mid morning boat traffic would tell you summer is here though, as it gets crowded pretty quick with pleasure boaters. If you are the type of person that loves a challenge on some days, this is your time to shine. On other days it seems like you do no wrong as every nook and cranny you check is loaded with fish. The old saying of tell me where you caught fish today so I wont fish there tomorrow holds true for June.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
The shad fry are all of the lake and it looks like a good shad spawn happened. Although the good summer time pattern hasnt started yet, I would still recommend to check the flats out early mornings as I have found multiple times schooling fish. The problem is which flats ? Well , that is the gamble you have to take. Robertson Park is always my first bet, something about a huge flat, multiple water depths , creek channels and levees running in front of it that always seems to produce fish. Here is the best fishing tip I can give you about flats fishing. When approaching the flat while in deep water, get upwind and drift across it. People that drive their boat around in circles looking in 5 ft water does nothing but scatter fish. Put you trolling motor down while you drift, as if you see them come up, head that way. In June it is very common for the blue herons to show you schooling fish. The tend to hoover over the , making a crash landing to fill their bellies up with shad that the white bass are pushing from below. Now comes the tricky part. If no schooling occurs , then what to do. You bury your nose in those electronics and g on a hunting mission. Please be sure to look in front also so you do not run over someone. What I look for while moving are tiny signatures when coming up a hump or checking a point. They will be suspended with a few on bottom. When you stop and sit on that spot a lot of times the graph will blow up or you notice how fast they keep moving. June is a gas burning month has I will have to check multiple spots through out the day to find what am looking for. I will fish white bass in 10-28 ft of water, I know that doesnt narrow down depths, but that is the way it is this time of year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
With all the shad fry in the lake , you need to have a rooster tail or mepps tied on at all times while looking for schooling white bass. They do not usually want a big swim bait but I will still have one to start, but if you notice they are not hitting it then downsize. I also will have a tiny torpedo tied on if I only have a couple of people on the boat. Its too dangerous with 3-4 people with all those hooks. I am still using 3/4 oz slabs with a jig above sometimes . Lure presentation is always key with suspended fish. Drop that slab to the bottom and raise it high slowly as the fish are not usually right on bottom, you can also from a slab and reel slowly up about 5-6 turns. If you notice fish suspended out from humps or points and moving, this is why trolling can flat out put fish in the box. I use the jet diver with release and a pet spoon . I also have counter reels so I know how deep I am running, if you do not have that , then experiment with your set up to figure out the depth by count turns on your reel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide

We target White Bass year round . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13187658 06/16/19 09:35 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Great post and thanks for sharing. Love seeing the young ones fishing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13187694 06/16/19 10:40 PM
sae Offline
Angler
Angler
I do not fish where you guide any more but if I did you would be my guide. Thank you for shareing you info to those who are trying to get better.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13188054 06/17/19 01:27 PM
C
Coachzee Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Great stuff JV. Love seeing all the pics of kids with fish. Way to keep on the fish no matter what!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13188912 06/18/19 02:39 AM
S
Scotty P Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
The smiles on all those kids faces says it all! Great post JV!!!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #13190331 06/19/19 06:03 PM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Great Report. Ray Hubbard is where I fish, and this really was a great report. Thanks a bunch! ! !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide