Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com

Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/27/19 02:34 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report
Happy Memorial Day and please remember the falling heroes and their families that sacrificed so much for this great country. Summer isn’t here officially for a few more weeks, but this is Texas and it is hot ! This is a great time of year to chase white bass and hybrid striped bass. Not only is the temperatures hot but so is the fishing. Learn to use your electronics successfully and you can have a fantastic day, and make sure on them cloudy days you have a good pair of binoculars . I am starting my day around 6:15 am and at that time the temperatures are nice and cool, it gets hot pretty fast on the bright sunny days so do not forget to apply your sunscreen early and often. The winds has been brutal as usual for this time of year so be careful navigating. The wind plays a big part in locating white bass, as it pushes them and bait into certain areas.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
The shad spawn is pretty much over , but you can still find schools of fish shallow early in the morning. We should have a very healthy shad and white bass population in the future , with all the rains and above normal water levels a lot of vegetation is under water and shad love that. White bass had very easy access to the creeks and rivers this year for their spawn. In the mornings there has been a little gull action when the fish are chasing bait so make sure to check the usual spots around Robertson Park, West and East side. A clue if this has been happing is the amount of bank fisherman in an area, as with long surf rods they can reach the fish also. If I do not find very much action that a way , I have been checking the usual points of interest like humps, long points and levees. This is where your ability to understand your electronics plays a big part. There is not a thermocline yet, as it is not hot enough and the fish could be anywhere in these locations from 14-31 ft. Do not be discouraged by those water depths as either work your way shallow to deep or vise versa. You usually will not mark huge schools, as most of the time you see either small “clouds” laying on the bottom or a few hooks suspended. When I mark those , I drop my trolling motor and spot lock. These fish will start coming in waves, next thing you know your graph is lit up , when the fish are no longer present on the graph just wait a few minutes and they usually return. I always tell people in easy terms , a hump is like a bowl turned upside down, they will usually work their way around it like a circular track, a point is like a ramp , they will work there way up and down it and a levee is like a highway, they usually speed their way back and forth. One more little insight , if you fish fish in one location at 25 ft …. Be sure when you check other locations look in the same water depth, usually they in the same depths at other locations also. This will change through out the day with the sun but it gives you a starting point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
On an average, this time of year you need two set ups. The first to start your day is a tail spinner , like the humdingers or little Georges so if you find some birds working you can throw and retrieve. Dont forget if the fish are in a little deeper water, let it sink a few seconds then start reeling. The second is a slab and jig combo. I use a 3/4 oz to 1 oz slab with a crappie jig tied above it about 12-14 inches. When you locate fish on structure and if they are hugging bottom, you don’t wan to pop the slab up. I usually just do small lifts and short bounces . A lot of time the will hit it earn it falls and your line will go slack , so remember , if you let it down and it doesn’t go all the way down you have a fish. When watching my graph and I notice more hooks above the “clouds” then I will do a high lift and also tell 3-4 times up slowly then let it drop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bonus ( Crappie Fishing )
I do not get the chance to do a lot of different fishing this time of year. I did have the opportunity with a regular guest to do a little crappie fishing. Crappie can be a finicky fish that sometime requires a little more patients that I am use to. I do love a challenge and we did fairly well. I focuses mostly on sunken trees in deeper water. I would locate those with my DI portion of my graph and see if crappie where present. Used a double jig set up with soft plastics. Most of the fish owe caught , would hit the jig as I let it fall, line would just go slack and you would have to quickly reel to catch up. Once the water warms up some more you should be able to locate trees that are shallower and be successful . Although I have seen many people on the highway 30 bridge catching crappie also, I like the seclusion of fishing under water timber.

[Linked Image]

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide

We target White Bass year round . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/27/19 11:42 PM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Wet Rooster

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/28/19 12:48 AM

Good Advice, very informative, I will use some of it. or i will just follow you around on the lake, promise i wont get to close.
Haha just kidding.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/28/19 12:29 PM

Great post, John! I wish other guides were as free with intel on fishing patterns, baits and rigging and how to work the baits. Your posts help those who have their own boats and will likely never hire a guide. So, you are being a good citizen, and I'd be willing to bet that sharing this kind of info does not negatively affect your business.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/28/19 05:17 PM

Saturday morning the fish were solid on the sonars on the west side of Robertson. Could not stay on them when the wind started to crank. Lots of shad still spawning along the seawall at Terry park. I will be glad when this weather settles down. Boat can certainly handle the big stuff. We were on Twok on Sunday. It is just not as much fun when the bow is bouncing up and down 2'.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/29/19 03:06 AM

Great detailed report and pics Twin brother thumb
Posted By: Catch25

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/29/19 03:31 AM

Agreed Dennis
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/29/19 12:36 PM

Great report! Good man for sharing the information.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/29/19 07:34 PM

Great report John and informative. If y’all want to catch a lot of fish John is your man.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/16/19 03:18 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard June fishing can be a tricky month at times.Some mornings you have to wear a hoodie and some mornings you are sweating. When you have a pattern figured out, just like that it can change. One morning you have schooling fish , the next you don’t. It is a transition month for sure on the lake for white bass fishing. Summer , although officially starts in a week or so , is not quite here yet, with the few cold fronts and much not needed rains has kept the temperature of the lake in the high 70’s to barely 80. The mid morning boat traffic would tell you summer is here though, as it gets crowded pretty quick with pleasure boaters. If you are the type of person that loves a challenge on some days, this is your time to shine. On other days it seems like you do no wrong as every nook and cranny you check is loaded with fish. The old saying of tell me where you caught fish today so I won’t fish there tomorrow holds true for June.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
The shad fry are all of the lake and it looks like a good shad spawn happened. Although the good summer time pattern hasn’t started yet, I would still recommend to check the flats out early mornings as I have found multiple times schooling fish. The problem is which flats ? Well , that is the gamble you have to take. Robertson Park is always my first bet, something about a huge flat, multiple water depths , creek channels and levees running in front of it that always seems to produce fish. Here is the best fishing tip I can give you about flats fishing. When approaching the flat while in deep water, get upwind and drift across it. People that drive their boat around in circles looking in 5 ft water does nothing but scatter fish. Put you trolling motor down while you drift, as if you see them come up, head that way. In June it is very common for the blue herons to show you schooling fish. The tend to hoover over the , making a crash landing to fill their bellies up with shad that the white bass are pushing from below. Now comes the tricky part. If no schooling occurs , then what to do. You bury your nose in those electronics and g on a hunting mission. Please be sure to look in front also so you do not run over someone. What I look for while moving are tiny signatures when coming up a hump or checking a point. They will be suspended with a few on bottom. When you stop and sit on that spot a lot of times the graph will blow up or you notice how fast they keep moving. June is a gas burning month has I will have to check multiple spots through out the day to find what am looking for. I will fish white bass in 10-28 ft of water, I know that doesn’t narrow down depths, but that is the way it is this time of year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
With all the shad fry in the lake , you need to have a rooster tail or mepps tied on at all times while looking for schooling white bass. They do not usually want a big swim bait but I will still have one to start, but if you notice they are not hitting it then downsize. I also will have a tiny torpedo tied on if I only have a couple of people on the boat. Its too dangerous with 3-4 people with all those hooks. I am still using 3/4 oz slabs with a jig above sometimes . Lure presentation is always key with suspended fish. Drop that slab to the bottom and raise it high slowly as the fish are not usually right on bottom, you can also from a slab and reel slowly up about 5-6 turns. If you notice fish suspended out from humps or points and moving, this is why trolling can flat out put fish in the box. I use the jet diver with release and a pet spoon . I also have counter reels so I know how deep I am running, if you do not have that , then experiment with your set up to figure out the depth by count turns on your reel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We target White Bass year round . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/16/19 09:35 PM

Great post and thanks for sharing. Love seeing the young ones fishing. thumb
Posted By: sae

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/16/19 10:40 PM

I do not fish where you guide any more but if I did you would be my guide. Thank you for shareing you info to those who are trying to get better.
Posted By: Coachzee

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/17/19 01:27 PM

Great stuff JV. Love seeing all the pics of kids with fish. Way to keep on the fish no matter what!
Posted By: Scotty P

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/18/19 02:39 AM

The smiles on all those kids faces says it all! Great post JV!!!
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/19/19 06:03 PM

Great Report. Ray Hubbard is where I fish, and this really was a great report. Thanks a bunch! ! !
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/04/19 05:18 PM

Great post thank you. I have never fished that lake before but may give it a try!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/31/19 09:40 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard July fishing can be hot, not only the temps but the catching. Although this has been one of the milder summers in some years. The water level is at full pool and that’s a good thing. I have to admit, for the first time in a long time I took a little time off at the end of June and first of July. I had an opportunity to fish in Florida for a few days with a good friend of mine for tarpon. Although we didn’t catch any tarpon we caught a verity of salt water fish. It was fun, the weather was beautify and so was the water. When I came back I was only back in Texas for 3 days and headed back to Florida for family vacation. I know , life is tough for a fishing guide. After my return we fished hard and caught lots of fish. July can be a mixed bag of sizes. I always say the smaller fish show up and the larger white bass get harder to find on some days.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard in July is schooling time for white bass usually. It took a little longer to get going because of the rain and cooler temps. They finally started a couple weeks ago and all you have to do is “the run”. I usually start at the Hilton flats then Robertson Park the jetty flats and red barn cove. I look for some signs of life as far as shad or birds. The thermocline has set in around 16-18 ft and that is the water I focus on after fish have schooled. Always remember if you find fish schooling do to run thru them with you big engine running as this usually spooks the fish down. When the schooling stops I always check the drop offs by the flats as fish will move a little deeper. As the sun gets up, don’t be afraid to look in shallow water up to 9 ft. I can’t explain why they would stay in such shallow water this time of year . I believe it has to do with the thermocline but as I have stated before I am not a biologist. If things get really tough you can always have success trolling this time of year. I will explain that below in the lure section. I am either looking for “clumps” of fish shallow or schools suspended around 16-18 ft right off of humps or points. You can also slow roll mepps when you find clumps of fish really shallow, although this takes practice and very few of my guest can do this technique .

[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-khG8_x3W...fdQCLcBGAs/s1600/fullsizeoutput_82a.jpeg[/img

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I will have a tiny torpedo tied on if I only have a couple of people on the boat early in the morning or some type of tail spinner when looking for schooling fish. One of my favorite ones is the humdinger tail spinner. Its too dangerous with 3-4 people with all those hooks for top waters. I am still using 3/4 oz slabs with a jig above sometimes . Lure presentation is always key with suspended fish. Drop that slab to the bottom and raise it high slowly as the fish are not usually right on bottom, you can also from a slab and reel slowly up about 5-6 turns. If you notice fish suspended out from humps or points and moving, this is why trolling can flat out put fish in the box. I use the jet diver with release and a pet spoon . I also have counter reels so I know how deep I am running, if you do not have that , then experiment with your set up to figure out the depth by count turns on your reel. If you can practice enough with the mepps it is deadly. Throw it out, let sink (patients) and slow roll it back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/13/19 12:08 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard August fishing was pretty consistent with some really great days to some tough days. When the water temps reach that mid to high 80’s it can be challenging. September is the month everyone gets excited but it is still summer and hot. The great thing about September is it is the start of hunting season , football and school. Lake Ray Hubbard can be a very busy lake in the summer especially past 10:00 am when all the pleasure boats start getting out. The weekends now are pretty quiet , way less boat traffic and the fishing is pretty good. As soon as we start getting a couple cool fronts and the fishing will become pretty awesome.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns

Lake Ray Hubbard in September is still schooling time for white bass usually. I look for some signs of life as far as shad or birds. The fish will not only school early in the morning or late in the afternoon but also mid mornings. I have been starting a little earlier and blind casting in shallow water getting a pretty good top water bite. The thermocline has set in around 16-18 ft and that is the water I focus on after fish have schooled. Always remember if you find fish schooling do not run thru them with you big engine running as this usually spooks the fish down. When the schooling stops I always check the drop offs by the flats as fish will move a little deeper. As the sun gets up, don’t be afraid to look in shallow water up to 9 ft. I can’t explain why they would stay in such shallow water this time of year . I believe it has to do with the thermocline but as I have stated before I am not a biologist. If things get really tough you can always have success trolling this time of year. I will explain that below in the lure section. I am either looking for “clumps” of fish shallow or schools suspended around 16-18 ft right off of humps or points. You can also slow roll mepps when you find clumps of fish really shallow, although this takes practice and very few of my guest can do this technique .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures

I will have a tiny torpedo tied on if I only have a couple of people on the boat early in the morning or some type of tail spinner when looking for schooling fish. One of my favorite ones is the humdinger tail spinner. Its too dangerous with 3-4 people with all those hooks for top waters. I am still using 3/4 oz slabs with a jig above sometimes . Lure presentation is always key with suspended fish. Drop that slab to the bottom and raise it high slowly as the fish are not usually right on bottom, you can also from a slab and reel slowly up about 5-6 turns. If you notice fish suspended out from humps or points and moving, this is why trolling can flat out put fish in the box. I use the jet diver with release and a pet spoon . I also have counter reels so I know how deep I am running, if you do not have that , then experiment with your set up to figure out the depth by count turns on your reel. If you can practice enough with the mepps it is deadly. Throw it out, let sink (patients) and slow roll it back.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/13/19 09:26 PM

Dang thats a report now! Looks like you’ve been having lots of fun
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/13/19 10:33 PM

Agree, very informative, great pics. JV is one of my favorite guides.
Posted By: Launcher400

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/14/19 02:09 AM

Great pics, especially the younger kids who are smiling ear to ear ... can tell they're thrilled with their catches
Posted By: Tc24

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/14/19 04:03 AM

Great report, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Coachzee

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/14/19 12:28 PM

Awesome post JV. Those newbies out there looking to learn the white/hybrid game on Hubbard, give JV a call. He is a great fisherman and guide. I even tortured him with some middle school aged nephews one time that have never fished! He was very patient and put us all on the fish.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 09/14/19 10:07 PM

thumb Awesome post!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 12/29/19 01:09 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard winter fishing is here. It has been a weird fall with the warmer weather and light winds at times. But it is officially winter according to the farmers almanac. Lake Ray Hubbard can hold some great winter fishing at times. We pay for living in Texas in the summer with the constant heat , but we are rewarded in the winter. There will be days on the water that by 12:00 pm you are wearing your T-shirt. The fall bite was ok this year, but never got really going. Fishing is a funny business at times, we rely on patterns that the fish and bait hold to year after year.

White Bass Patterns

Lake Ray Hubbard in the winter months mean that the shad have moved out to the deep water huddled into large schools. The white bass and hybrids will follow these schools. It is almost like a migration at times. I will start out on the southern part of the lake out from the red barn cove area and as the months go by I move north. Usually time February rolls around I am drifting the flats out from Chandlers Landing marina. Now don’t get confused when I say flats, I don’t mean skinny water. I am fishing water 30-40 ft deep at certain parts of the lake. Even though it is deep, it is pretty much fishing flat bottom. The fish most of the time will suspend 5-10 ft off of bottom. I am a winter drifter fisherman, that means I like to set up the boat on a certain path and drift. I use 2 large drift socks to slow the boat down on windy days. Covering more water gives you a better chance to run into the large schools of fish. Some people spot lock their trolling motors but I find drifting more effective. Another thing to remember is the winter time is “thumping” season. We actually thump the bottom of the floors of our boats to draw the fish in. I use a mechanical device that provides that sound but you can use a stick with a rubber end on it also. I don’t know why it works, but it does. If you google thumping a boat, its documented that people have been doing it for thousands of years. It is really effective as the water cools and usually by April I am putting it up for the winter. When I scout an area I am looking for bait balls , the more bait the better chance of fish being in the area. You will also mark fish but usually in a scattered pattern. The thumper is what gangs them up. The bite can be very soft and at times you will miss more fish than you catch. Be sure to present your bait just a few inches above where you are marking fish. The presentation is called dead stick, you just hold the lure still sometime with a really slow raise.

[Linked Image]

bait balls and fish

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thumper on drifting

White Bass Lures

I use a couple different set up in the winter time. It all depends on how hard the wind is blowing. If you have a light wind I will use a 1/2 jig head with a 3 inch fluke and above that about 2 ft a single hook with a 3 inch or 2 inch fluke. I will also use a 1/2 small slab on bottom at times if they seam to want a smaller bait. When the wind picks up I have heavier jib heads but with short shank hooks that will hold the same plastic. Some that I know will also add a stinger hook to the jig head. I do not usually do this as it presents a danger to guest more often than not. But it is a very effective way to increase hook ups with a light bite. Colors usually don’t matter, although I primarily use shad colored plastics with chartreuse jig heads our slabs.

[Linked Image]
property of Moe's Tackle dead stick set up

We target White Bass year round . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link below in my signature.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/03/20 07:57 PM

Excellent information! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: gborg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/04/20 03:06 PM

A true dead stick " junkie ". We live for the " heavy line" of a dead stick bite.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/04/20 03:51 PM

Wintertime, there are no crowds on the lake. Only fishermen looking for fish, I really love wintertime fishing, plus the fish are bigger, feeding up for the winter.
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/16/20 11:04 PM

Great info John Thanks

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 03/15/20 02:41 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard late winter early spring fishing is here. The fish finally turned on and came to the usual haunts. Lake Ray Hubbard can hold some great fishing at times. The great thing about Texas is there are days that you can wear a T-shirt in February and March. Spring break is here and because of the current situation some of those breaks have been extended.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard in late February and March means spawning season. The white bass will start their swim up the creeks to spawn. Not all the fish do this and I am usually very successful on the main lake. White bass will stage in deeper water off of primary points, secondary points and large flats. I am usually looking in water from 25-35 ft deep. Very popular areas for this are the Red Barn cove , which have long points and big flats as well as Chandlers cove. Some days the fish will gather in huge schools and other days they are scattered along the bottom hugging so tight if you did not know your electronics you would probably not know what you are seeing. As the spring warms up you will also have to throw shallow around these same points and flats. They will move up to spawn and move back out to deeper water. March fishing can be great one day and struggle the next. It can make the best fishermen look humbled and some of the average look like heroes. One thing that makes this deeper water fishing successful is thumping the bottom of your boat. It was a well kept secrete not long ago. This day and time somedays it sounds like carpenters building hoses on the lake. It works, it is effective and easily done. You have three ways, either beat the boat with a stick , build an automatic thumper or buy one. You can use youtube to figure out how to build one or look up BoBo’s thumper made by Jeff Bobo and purchase one.

[Linked Image]
White Bass Lures
I use a couple different set ups this time of year. It all depends on how hard the wind is blowing. If you have a light wind I will use a 1/2 slab and above that about 1 ft a single hook with a 2 inch crappie jig. When the wind picks up I have heavier slab. When I am throwing shallow its usually a small swim bait about 2-3 inches. Another very effective lure is the road runner or a small rattle trap.Colors usually don’t matter, although I primarily use shad colored plastics with chartreuse jig heads our slabs.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/04/20 01:56 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard spring fishing is here. This has been a trying time for many and fishing reports are probably the least of desired info wanted. I started my guide business back up May 1, 2020 because of the COVID-19. I still went out and fished during the shut down and had some calls about trips. I wanted to be a responsible person and play it safe. So much conflicting information makes decision making a tough deal. I am taking the needed precautions to run my trips as safely as possible. Late April and May bring big winds usually so be safe and make sure your boat can handle those winds.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard in April and May can be some fantastic fishing. It can also bring cold fronts that shut it down. As we are in May already the spawning run is pretty much over and these fish are feeding. We are also in the middle of the shad spawn which can make fishing exciting at times. Early mornings look for white egrets and blue herons on the shoreline and its almost instant money on catching fish. The location of those birds are very important as they show you where the shad are spawning. On cloudy windy days white-bass and hybrids will stay around quite a bit longer. Look for shad popping out of the water as the fish will be on smaller schools than summer chasing bait. There are multiple flats to inspect early mornings and late evenings. Harbor bay flats , Robertson Park , Red Barn cove , Power-plant Jetty and Burnt bridge cove. When searching these flats there is no reason to run your big motor fast across these. Look for gulls and turns as they are showing the way also. Later in the morning or midday don’t venture far rom those ares and look at drop offs, ridges and humps. Throughout the day you might run across birds working shallow flats but tase are usually small whites bass chasing shad.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
White Bass Lures
I use a couple different set ups this time of year. It all depends on how hard the wind is blowing. If you have a light wind I will use a 1/2 slab and above that about 1 ft a single hook with a 2 inch crappie jig. When the wind picks up I have heavier slab. When I am throwing shallow its usually a small swim bait about 2-3 inches with a 1/2 jig head. Another very effective lure is the road runner or a small rattle trap.Colors usually don’t matter, although I primarily use shad colored plastics with chartreuse jig heads our slabs.

Posted By: Keystone

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/04/20 01:58 PM

thumb

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/05/20 02:59 AM

cheers

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/11/20 01:45 AM

Lake Ray Hubbard summer time fishing is here. May was a fantastic month as far as the fishing goes. White bass were almost jumping into the boat on most days. A few bad weather days were mixed in but overall the weather was very pleasant. We still have the COVID-19 lurking around but the good news is it seems like the hospitalization numbers re way down , and that’s a good thing especially for our older friends and people that are more at risk. I am still being cautious with the cleaning of equipment and the boat. We have other things going on right ow as well , I don’t like to get into politics and such things when discussing fishing but all I can say is that we are here for a short time on this beautiful earth and we all should treat each other with respect and love.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns

Lake Ray Hubbard in June can be some fantastic fishing. It also brings a time when they are kinda doing the in-between stuff. They are transitioning from spring water temps to hot summer temps. The great thing is this signifies the start of white bass schooling early mornings. The main problem with June, it seems to make them. One a lot. You will be on a great school of fish then poof, they disappear. I will burn some extra gas this time of year looking in multiple locations for fish. When you do find them it can be fast and furious. Early morning I look for the white egrets and blue herons, they won’t be lining the shore line but you will see them hoover above the fish. When that slows down that is where your electronics comes into play. You won’t mar a lot of fish usually , but you just need to know they are in the area. The shad spawn has already happened and they are chasing tiny shad fry all over the lake .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures

I use a couple different set ups this time of year. In the mornings if I find schooling I am throwing a Mepps tail spinner . With the fish chasing shad fry they seem to want that smaller lure a little better than the larger tail spinner or 3 inch CoHo swim bait. Mt slabbing set up is about the same, 1 oz slab with a jig tied above it. I also recommend that if you find fish suspended , like they do this time of year , reel 4-5 times up, let the slab fall. It can be a deadly technique this time of year. As it gets hotter , reel faster.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/11/20 12:17 PM

Great pics John. Those kiddos are having a blast.
Posted By: 4x4

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/11/20 11:30 PM

Great Post , Thanks, Keep up he good work !!!!!!!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/12/20 02:40 AM

thumb
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/14/20 02:56 AM

He’s on em’ !! flag
Posted By: gborg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/14/20 12:18 PM

That's a bunch of fish.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/05/20 01:18 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard is heating up and the water is getting quite warm. June was a fantastic month for fishing and we put a lot o fish in the boat. This has been a very busy past month as most people were going stir crazy sitting at home and just wanted a day of family fun. The boat traffic was a little more than normal even during the week. A lot of people out trying to get a little fresh air and some sun was the theme of June for sure. I really can’t blame anybody for wanted to get out during these crazy times. Fishing is one way to do it, as my boat is big enough for everyone to be spread out and I am taking the precautions with wiping down the rods and keeping everything as “sanitary” as possible. Just to let everyone know Lake Ray Hubbard is back to doing the Thursday night concert on the lake located at the Harbor. Get in your boat , go find you a spot to anchor up and enjoy the show.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard in July can be some great fishing. Early morning you can find large schools of fish chasing bait on almost any flat adjacent to deep water, keep you eyes out at Harbor cove , the jetty , Red Barn cove or Robertson Park. It's better during the week when you do to have as many fisherman chasing them , the the weekends can good also. Later in the morning you can find them schooling out in the middle of the lake at any time also. You want to look for the big schools, as if you locate multiple small ones they come up and down so fast you will drive your self crazy at times chasing them. They are also holding to structure a little better as it gets warmer , and grouped up better. I have still not seen a thermocline set in just set but it is close. You can locate schools on humps, long points and the levees using your electronics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I use a couple different set ups this time of year. In the mornings if I find schooling fish and they are chasing small thredfin fry I am throwing a Mepps tail spinner . With the fish chasing shad fry they seem to want that smaller lure a little better than the larger tail spinner or 3 inch CoHo swim bait. But if you see them knocking nice size shad out of the water use the larger tail spinner or tiny torpedo top water. My slabbing set up is about the same, 1 oz slab with a jig tied above it. I also recommend that if you find fish suspended , like they do this time of year , reel 4-5 times up, let the slab fall. It can be a deadly technique this time of year. As it gets hotter , reel faster.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We target White Bass year round . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.LAke Ray Hubbard Fishing [Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/07/20 03:04 AM

Awesome stuff JV!!!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 08/02/20 04:04 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard is in almost summer mode , believe it or not. It's been an unusual month as far as weather as we have had cooler temps mixed in with 100 degree days in July. The fishing for July was really good as the white bass started schooling like most summers. The lake has been awful busy as well with so many people staying at home because of the continuous COVID-19 situation. Even during the week there has been a lot of boats out on the water. The end of July produced a 70 degree morning and a north wind. I truly hope everyone is staying as safe as possible in these trying times. August usually means a slow down in trips as the kids are preparing to go back to school and buying supplies. I don’t know what August holds as far as that , as many kids will be virtual schooling.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard in August can be some good fishing. Early morning you can find large schools of fish chasing bait on almost any flat adjacent to deep water, keep you eyes out at Harbor cove , the jetty , Red Barn cove or Robertson Park. It's better during the week when you do to have as many fisherman chasing them , the the weekends can be good also. Later in the morning you can find them schooling out in the middle of the lake at any time also. You want to look for the big schools, as if you locate multiple small ones they come up and down so fast you will drive your self crazy at times chasing them. They will be also holding to structure a little as it gets warmer , and grouped up better. I have still have not seen much of a thermocline set in just set but it is close, as when it did start we got rains and winds that broke it up.. You can locate schools on humps, long points and the levees using your electronics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures

I use a couple different set ups this time of year. In the mornings if I find schooling fish and they are chasing bait , a tail spinner is very effective. I like to throw not that’s 1/2 oz in weight and chartreuse . There are many cures you can use, popping cork with jig, small tiny torpedoes and small swim baits. My slabbing set up is about the same, 1 oz slab with a jig tied above it. I also recommend that if you find fish suspended , like they do this time of year , reel 4-5 times up, let the slab fall. It can be a deadly technique this time of year. As it gets hotter , reel faster. You mights also find when the thermocline sets in , you can have very good success by trolling. A lot of people like the hellpet set up. I personally use a jet diver with about a 4 ft leader at the back and a small pet spoon. Most of the white bass you can locate in 10-15 ft water. On the occasion you find them suspending out in deep water this is an effective way also. Most of the time they suspend around 16-19 ft.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 04/04/21 02:39 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard is in Spring mode for sure !! Sorry that I haven’t updated my blog in a while. After the Ice apocalypse of 2021 , the water is finally warming back up. March can be a roller coaster of fishing. One day you will do great and the next burn a tank of fuel searching. The great thing is we are now in April and for the next 3 months it can be some of the best fishing of the season. I truly hope everyone is healthy and so your family and friends. I can’t believe it has been a year since all the COVID happenings. I hope we are on the down trend of this devastating virus.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard in the Spring can be some of the best fishing of the season. The whiteness are either spawning or have completed that process. We haven’t had a lot of rain this early spring so quite a few white bass have stayed in the main lake area. When the fish get done spawning they will group back up in huge schools and they want to eat !! On the days that waves of these fish are ready to eat it can be an exciting time. In mid April they will be roaming the shallows to find shad as the shad start spawning also. They will also be on structure and grouped up. Right now in the first of April you have to be really good with your electronics. Some of these fish are hugging the bottom so tight, you wouldn’t know they are fish to the average angler. I like to use my DI setting on my Humminbird HELIX to locate these fish. The little “pimples” located on the very bottom really show up good with this setting. Another good thing this time of year, the gulls start working, you can fished great activity especially late in the afternoon.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. The tandem rig that has 1 small crappie jigs tied above a 3/4 oz slab. I like to use drop shot hooks with the jig about 12-16 inches apart. The color of the jig doesn’t really matter as much as technique. When they are hugging bottom, a slight lift and a wiggle , when you see the fish a little higher , raise slowly sometimes has high as you can reach. The other set up I use is a 3 in CoHo with a 1/2 oz jig head as we are throwing very shallow. When retrieving these swim baits you want to reel them in slow enough for them to hit, but fast enough to keep right off the bottom. If you are lucky enough to find birds working, just throw and retrieve at a medium speed.
[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/07/21 03:28 PM

Please visit my blog for more pics !!

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports

[Linked Image]

Lake Ray Hubbard is in Spring and early summer mode for sure . It has been a busy time on Lake Ray Hubbard since my last report. Thank goodness the COVID news is looking better, people are getting vaccinated and trying to return to a somewhat normal life. The weather has been crazy with all the rain, cloud cover and on some days down right cold. Never fear, summer is here and we will be begging for that forecast in the coming heat of our Texas summers.

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard this Spring was some fantastic fishing. Mid April thru early June early morning shallow water fish was the ticket. We had a great shad spawn and the fish knew it. Morning would start out throwing in 3-10 foot of water while the fish were chasing shad gorging them selves. On cloudy days they would remain in the shallows for hours and you would catch an abundance of fish. The hybrids even showed up better than the past and my guest had a great time. When the shallow activity slowed we would move off to humps and levee’s in 18-32 foot of water with great success. June will start producing mid lake schooling as the shad go from the shallows to the deeper water. Look for the great blue Heron to hover above these schools , when you spot those magnificent birds fish will be close by. The shallow schooling will begin mid to late June and continue through out the summer. For now I still check the shallows early , there wont be a lot of visible action but a few shad popping up and a few large egrets or herons on the shoreline.

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. The tandem rig that has 1 small crappie jigs tied above a 3/4 oz slab. I like to use drop shot hooks with the jig about 12-16 inches apart. The color of the jig doesn’t really matter as much as technique. When they are hugging bottom, a slight lift and a wiggle , when you see the fish a little higher , raise slowly sometimes has high as you can reach and when the screen lights up, reel slowly to mid speed through them. The other set up I use is a 1/2 oz tail spinner. I will fan cast across points and reel at a moderate speed and of coarse if you see fish blowing shad out of the water throw right in the middle of them.

Description: Guide pics
Attached picture 1EF6A347-C779-4567-974E-F2CDB5D43379.jpeg
Attached picture AEBC45F6-575A-42A2-B1BA-6E6D8E05B0F7.jpeg
Attached picture 86507E5E-266B-48D5-A63D-38AE0FE04119.jpeg
Attached picture 71BD3C9E-B1C2-4E7E-B549-A53AAFFF2E50.jpeg
Attached picture 0466A820-0404-497E-A9EE-25D1FF667ADD.jpeg
Attached picture F5BEE63D-B4E5-44F0-8E85-879A87763215.jpeg
Attached picture 02CF391D-121C-4120-9164-62182DEA694F.jpeg
Attached picture B14F2B4D-6949-4938-8237-61C012A4B6D9.jpeg
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/16/21 05:44 PM

Any openings this weekend ?

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/13/21 03:12 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard is in Summer time mode full force ! It is now July and the summers are pretty hot in our great state of Texas. School will be starting back up soon so lets get the kids outdoors and fishing. This time of year we start at daylight and are off the water before it gets too hot. If you are brave enough to enduring the Texas heat I occasionally run mid day trips , the fishing can be just as hot. Don’t forget no matter what you are doing in the summer heat to hydrate with plenty of fluids. I always recommend before your fishing trip to start hydrating on the way to the lake so you don't have to play catch up on the fluids.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from mid June till early July has been some good fishing. We have had a lot of rain this year and the water is normal level. White Bass have started their schooling in the early mornings and late evenings. When fishing the flats approach slowly and with your trolling motor down. I never drive around looking for fish in the shallows as if they are there you will spook them. Look for a few swirls, some shad popping and head over to that area. You will also find the same senecio later in the mornings on the same type of landscape. Remover to have good fishing etiquette as this time of year especially on weekends there are usually multiple boats fishing this same area. When the schooling stops , I use my Humminbird fish finder to locate either suspended fish on structure or you will find them shallow on structure, points or flats. The thermocline has set in around 20 ft , so the fish will not be much deeper than that but will be shallower at times.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. The tandem rig that has 1 small crappie jigs tied above a 3/4 oz slab. I like to use drop shot hooks with the jig about 12-16 inches apart. The color of the jig doesn’t really matter as much as technique. When they are suspended I like to drop the lure set up right on them, go to the bottom and quickly reel up through the fish, stop and release the lure and let it fall back down. There are times your line will go limp and you have a fish and other times as you reel quickly they will slam it on the way up. When you find fish schooling or mark them on your side imaging , I use a tail spinner. Just cast it out and a speedy retrieve will do the trick. Other times, if they are not schooling but you mark them, this the tail spinner out and slow your speed a little hugging the bottom and run it right threw them. You can also use a top water or rattle trap when schooling , I just prefer not too with guest in the boat for the hook danger.

Attached picture 443C3F0A-D1BA-4CC4-BDF8-79FF7396D2BD.jpeg
Attached picture B1A87158-BD3C-4AB1-8913-C79DC5BB3497.jpeg
Attached picture A18E3BDB-0093-4C0B-B233-0DC91D184CC2.jpeg
Attached picture C9E8DF3D-FE2B-4712-9DCA-567399FFAA69.jpeg
Attached picture 1E3016BB-9253-4B13-B50E-40BFF937C058.jpeg
Attached picture D8910117-1EC8-4C63-8D0E-FFD62054BB0A.jpeg
Attached picture 706FF4F1-7A0E-422D-95B7-84DD24B6431A.jpeg
Attached picture 62C9327D-0F1F-4697-9BA3-645BDE28B3E6.jpeg
Attached picture 709EADE2-1F33-47E9-91B3-0024E83A8B78.jpeg
Attached picture 4728216D-CE6A-4E8A-8A4F-005BD7EDEF57.jpeg
Attached picture 66BF1C9A-B3C8-44AE-A0CD-730AB49F906D.jpeg
Attached picture 833E7171-2870-45C4-9F36-E99FC6F8D033.jpeg
Attached picture 5A109C06-A59D-4368-AE3B-682186C47339.jpeg
Attached picture E63E759F-2CEC-4300-8CD2-A3668A041AD4.jpeg
Attached picture 645DE315-0534-42B6-8B3D-D01186DEEF16.jpeg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/16/21 02:37 AM

Headed out to fish Hubbard in the morning. It will be my first trip to Hubbard since April.
Posted By: fish_n_dude

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/22/21 12:55 AM

How did ya do jumper?
Posted By: Paparon

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/24/21 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the great info John!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/27/22 10:09 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard is in winter time mode full force ! It is now a brand new year , 2022 and on some days the weather is down right fantastic in the great state of Texas.The holidays are over and time to get this new year started. This time of year we start at midday as we let it warm up a bit. I haven’t updated my blog in a while and I apologize. With the late summer, then holidays I was pretty busy. We had a nothing wave of Covid-19 and I know a lot of people that were effected this time. Let's hope 2022 goes a little better on that front. I am also excited about the fishing for 2022 as usual. I know it's almost February but that starts the white bass spawn here pretty soon. Before long it will be the start of spring and we are off to the races.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from mid January all the way thru March the white bass will roam on the deep flats especially around river channels and levees. The shad will be in huge schools suspended about the middle water column and the fish should be in the same areas. I always tell people if you can find the big balls of bait then you should find the fish. Also when the water cooled down and thru April we “call” the fish. Thats right, we use a thumper that beats the bottom of the boat and will draw the schools under the boat. I do not know why it works , as I am just a fishing guide and not a biologist. Back in the day wee would use a stick of some sort and tap the floor of the boat. Now days almost every one has an electronic thumper. My one arm would look like one of Popeyes arms time the season was over with the old method.

White Bass Lures
I only use one set up this time of year. I have 3-4 drop shot hooks in a line about 12 inches apart with a 3/4 oz slab on the bottom. You can fish this a few different ways and it depends what the fish are wanting. In the winter we do a technique called “dead sticking” and it is exactly that. You lower the lures , hold them still. The Whitebass would just thump it, you have to be quick. When locating the fish I can see how deep they are on my fish finder. Most of the time they are suspended up around 5-10 ft off of bottom. Sometime you have to reel slow thru the fish, when I say slow, I mean slow. Other times just hold it still.

Attached picture IMG_9200.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9191.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9192.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9194.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9195.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9196.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9197.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9198.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9199.JPG

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 04/05/22 02:56 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard is in Spring mode and April , May and June can be some of the most exciting fishing of the season! Spring Break has officially passed again and the fishing was pretty good when I could get on the water. Had some windy days that hindered our ability on some days. The weather was warm some days and down right cold on others. Flowers and trees are blooming , birds are singing and that is the sign that Spring is officially here! 2022 will be a great year and I personally can’t wait. Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and if you get the chance to fish during the week and beat the boat traffic it usually pays off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from mid April thru June can mean some exciting fishing. The fish will be almost done spawning and waves of fish will be feeding heavily. The shallow bite has begun as these fish are looking for shad roaming the shallow warm waters that heat up throughout the day. The shad will actually start their spawn in a week or so and the excitement of fish blowing bait out of the water will start. Once all this starts there will be fish everywhere from shallow spots to humps. A good sign is if you are cruising around and you notice blue herons or white egrets on the shore line. Using your electronics on humps and ridges is a good way to fish these fish. Post cold front days I use my DI imaging cause most times they will hug the bottom so tight you would think there is no fish to be found.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. I will start the morning off with a 3 in. CoHO with a 1/2 oz jig head, a tail spinner or my slab set up with 1 jug tied above 12 inches . Be sure to make sure your plastic is straight and you don’t want it to run sideways when retrieving. The slab I still keep small , 1/2 oz or 3/4 slab as the bait they are fading on is small. If fishing an open flat I throw the tail spinner , throwing shallow on shore the CoHo and of coarse on humps the slab set up.

We target White Bass year round 7 days a week . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.

Attached picture Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing .jpg
Attached picture Lake Ray Hubbard Guide .jpg
Attached picture Lake Ray Hubbard white Bass .jpg
Attached picture Lake Ray Hubbard Fish.jpg
Attached picture Lake Ray Hubbard .jpg
Attached picture Lake Ray Hubbard jv.jpg
Attached picture LAke Ray Hubbard jvguide.jpg
Attached picture lake ray hubbard fishing guide .jpg
Attached picture 719D2A20-C9B7-46A6-A02A-06C7A085E5C8.jpg
Attached picture 0BB9C1C6-7D37-4CCC-997C-74FF227DD61E.jpg
Attached picture 23053362-5E69-4DA1-8AFF-4F3346FE29F7.jpg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/16/22 09:22 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard has been very good this spring in the “catching” department . It is the middle of May and the weather is already heating up just like the fishing has. Our April shallow bite wA. Little late this year including the shad spawn. The water temps just took a little longer to get to the right magic number of 68 degrees in the morning. Better late than never and now they are shooting up. A lot of seniors graduate this month so please give them young people an applause. Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and if you get the chance to fish during the week and beat the boat traffic it usually pays off.

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from mid May till end of June is still really good fishing. The egrets and herons are on the shoreline especially on windy days. Shad are roaming the shallows and the fish are following them. You will not find many gulls on the date this time of year but you will find the big birds hovering a school of fish at any giving moment. Early morning look shallow and then if you have the patients keep fishing shallow. I usually have to go ahead and move out to structure for more numbers , but the shallow bite can be good throughout the day. Most fish will also be on structure during this time. There is not a thermocline so they could be located any depth from 13-35 ft. I know that doesn’t help much but that is the way it is. Your electronics are the key. Look on humps , ledges and long points at various depths.

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. I will start the morning off with a 3 in. CoHO with a 1/2 oz jig head, a tail spinner. My slab set up with 1 jig tied above 12 inches . Be sure to make sure your plastic is straight and you don’t want it to run sideways when retrieving on the swimbaits. . The slab I still keep small , 1/2 oz or 3/4 slab as the bait they are feeding on is small. If fishing an open flat I throw the tail spinner , throwing shallow on shore the CoHo and of coarse on humps the slab set up.

We target White Bass year round 7 days a week . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.

Attached picture IMG_1052.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1051.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1047.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1046.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1045.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1044.jpg
Attached picture 71106B33-44A8-4BA0-B00A-59665F38E879.jpg
Attached picture 513D855C-C658-48CD-A7CE-4303BC17A893.jpg
Attached picture D6EEA2DC-4B66-463A-9C70-9FACE123C324.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0752.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0753.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0754.jpg
Attached picture B6B1440D-54E9-4459-B044-9861804FFA4F.jpg
Attached picture AAFFD26F-9AEF-4194-A7DA-66317A477958.jpg
Attached picture 89F41208-EEC6-4B01-9C78-44922B511CDC.jpg
Attached picture DDAE77A5-8517-4FE3-A002-1040B8190268.jpg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/22/22 03:14 AM

How are you doing, John? Seems like the Hubbard boys don't post on here anymore or have all deserted to Lake Tawakoni. Last time I was at Hubbard was 2 years ago when I fished with Pat Moore and one other, who I can't think of now. I miss the Hubbard sandbass tournaments. Hope you bring them back some day. Dennis
Posted By: LordoftheMorning

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/25/22 05:54 PM

I am on Ray hubb every saturday, suprises me everytime there arent more people on the lake. I haven't ever caught more than two fish in one trip so maybe that is why..

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/25/22 08:23 PM

Dennis, we still fish Hubbard and the fishing is good. I split my time up between summer trips at Tawakoni and winter trips on Hubbard. There are a lot of crazy boaters on Hubbard in the summer.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/28/22 02:33 AM

I quit fishing Hubbard several years ago in favor of Tawok. We did ok last year on the peanut in June. Headed to Tawok tomorrow for the first time this year. I normally don't fish weekends any more but my buddy has on MIL duty this week.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/28/22 02:57 AM

Hubbard is still good as you can see JV is still hammering em good. For me I just decided to learn diff lakes. Also the $20 launch fee (way before inflation) made me use that for gas money to the next lake hmmm.

Hey DC, the last time you fished hubbard your TM went out and I was your "auto" anchor deploy. The way you positioned the old school anchor on top of fish (by releasing more rope) and we caught fish throwing the light #2 amazed the heck out me and Pat. That's my recollection of the trip grin

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 05/30/22 04:01 AM

I had to use my anchor today because the wind and waves overpowered my iPilot. I had plenty of anchor practice - 45 of my 55 years fishing for whites was with an anchor.

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 06/16/22 01:08 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard has been very good for mid May thru Mid June . It is the start of summer and the weather is already heating up just like the fishing has. Early morning shallow excitement then looking on structure. I am starting early so hopefully we can get off the water before the temps get too hot! Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and if you get the chance to fish during the week and beat the boat traffic it usually pays off.

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from mid June till August can get hot. The early morning schooling has started and truthfully it usually gets better the hotter it gets. We had the Shawn spawn about 4-6 weeks ago and now white bass are chasing them baby shad all over the lake. I am starting on the flats around the Harbor, Robertson Park , Jetty and Red Barn Cove. You have to just pick your spot and go with it. The white bass schools are getting bigger and when they school its pretty exciting. Once the sun rises they seem to get going. Later in the morning they move off the shallows and roam the deep parts of the lake, don’t be surprised to see fish schooling in 35 ft water through out the day. When the early morning action slows down I put my nose in my electronics and search on humps, levees and long points. As the water warms the thermocline will start setting in around 16-17 ft and the fish will be located in that depth and shallower most of the summer. When it heats up and looking on structure don’t forger to check the deep water around those areas and they will suspend.

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. I will start the morning off with an inline spinner . My slab set up with 1 jig tied above 12 inches.The slab I use is 1/2 oz or 3/4 slab as the bait they are feeding on is small. If fishing an open flat I throw the inline spinner , throwing shallow and of coarse on humps the slab set up.

Attached picture IMG_1348.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1349.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1350.jpg
Attached picture A22C69D7-9A1E-4992-90D1-9ECD4838EB92.jpg
Attached picture 5383F181-BFB2-42BD-8799-FEC4843C2FF1.jpg
Attached picture ABC224C7-7314-4D00-85E9-EC4EC2A1EC61.jpg
Attached picture 5C96C0D8-1C73-408A-8EC9-3344B1EE2988.jpg
Attached picture 8B00B48A-FC23-45A8-8C91-E01F48B3863E.jpg
Attached picture E4679650-7489-4516-A9DD-64E1B7656E0F.jpg
Attached picture B0030BE7-6D82-415E-BE60-140EF8A0FF55.jpg
Attached picture 9A47A236-D89A-4ADE-A440-E1A07E82F1BD.jpg
Attached picture D52D5154-38EA-4E02-B097-C044CE41848F.jpg
Attached picture 051BFA3B-D68B-4A8D-8B98-146C354BF816.jpg
Attached picture F9C7CDED-A465-42B2-991B-936E49DA1DE5.jpg
Attached picture 46A60FA6-9F92-474F-8AB2-AAE948B42F41.jpg
Attached picture 54A3B7AE-DD9E-4ABB-A159-F3C82334B015.jpg
Attached picture 9A47A236-D89A-4ADE-A440-E1A07E82F1BD.jpg
Attached picture B0030BE7-6D82-415E-BE60-140EF8A0FF55.jpg
Attached picture E4679650-7489-4516-A9DD-64E1B7656E0F.jpg
Attached picture 8B00B48A-FC23-45A8-8C91-E01F48B3863E.jpg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/11/22 01:45 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard has been very good for late June thru Early July .Summer is here and did it come in with strong heat. Early morning shallow excitement then looking on structure. I am starting early so hopefully we can get off the water before the temps get too hot! Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and if you get the chance to fish during the week and beat the boat traffic it usually pays off.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from mid July till August can get hot. The early morning schooling has started and truthfully it usually gets better the hotter it gets.Look for open deep water schooling later in the morning, remember to throw your slab out and let it sink to the bottom then burn it threw the fish. I am starting on the flats around the Harbor, Robertson Park , Jetty and Red Barn Cove. You have to just pick your spot and go with it. The white bass schools are getting bigger and when they school its pretty exciting. Once the sun rises they seem to get going. Later in the morning they move off the shallows and roam the deep parts of the lake, don’t be surprised to see fish schooling in 35 ft water through out the day. When the early morning action slows down I put my nose in my electronics and search on humps, levees and long points. The water is warming and the thermocline is setting in around 16-17 ft and the fish will be located in that depth and shallower most of the summer. When it heats up and looking on structure don’t forger to check the deep water around those areas and they will suspended.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I use a couple set ups this time of year. I will start the morning off with an inline spinner . My other is a slab/jigging spoon. The slab I use is 3/4 to 1 oz slab as the bait they are feeding on is larger in the summer. If you have the equipment and can stand the heat, throwing 2 oz slabs down south will produce hybrids. If fishing an open flat I throw the inline spinner , throwing shallow and of coarse on humps the slab set up.

We target White Bass year round 7 days a week . Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population. For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link. I launch out of Harbor Marina .

Attached picture IMG_1634.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1635.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1636.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1637.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1638.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1639.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1640 2.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1641.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1712.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1713.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1715.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1716.jpg
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 07/11/22 08:30 PM

Great detailed reports!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 11/01/22 12:11 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard has been very good to good for October. Had a few tough days especially when we didn’t have any wind. November is here and the weather is awesome. It seemed like summer held on for an extra long time this year. Our water level isn’t bad, about 2.5 ft low. The weekend traffic died down considerably after school started and it will be like fishing weekdays on the weekend! Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and the weekdays there isn’t a sole on the water.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from November until it really cools down is an exciting time to fish. White bass and hybrids like to move really shallow and we will actually be casting in 2-5 ft of water for those fish. Windy days are much better for this pattern.This time of year we have the gulls show up and can show the way on some days. Fish will start feeding for winter to get fattened up to get them through. If you find fish on structure they still have the tendency to move fast and your electronics are the key on days like that. When scanning structure do not disregard the little bumps holding tight to the bottom, as those fish are there just not extremely active.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures

I use a couple set ups this time of year. I will start the morning off with a 3-4 inch Co-Ho swim bait with a 3/8 oz jig head. My other is a slab with a jig tied above about 12 inches. The slab I use is 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz depending on wind .If you find birds working throw that swim bait, if in deeper water switch to a heavier jig head, let it sink and just slow reel back to the boat. Don't forget to have you a top water tied on, but please be careful as that is when most hook accidents happen.

Attached picture IMG_2487.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2488.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2489.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2490.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2491.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2492.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2493.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2699.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2700.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2701.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2702.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2703.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2704.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2705.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2706.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2707.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2708.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2709.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2822.jpg

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 11/01/22 06:07 PM

Awesome report as usual JV!!!

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/10/23 02:44 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard has been very good for December and January. The weather has been fantastic except for that hard freeze we had in December.This is why we suffer in August for 60/70 degree temps in the winter . Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and the weekdays there isn’t a sole on the water.

[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from December till March when the water cools white bass and hybrids get in big schools and in deep water. As you get closer to spring when the water starts to warm the shallower they get. Most of my current catching is in water 35-40 ft deep. Most days the fish will suspend a few cranks off of bottom. Its dead sticking time or at least as slow as movement has you can stand. A thumper is vital this time of year as these fish roam the deep flats. People have their theory has to why it works, I am just a fishing guide not a biologist. All your life you are told to be quiet when fishing then comes along the crazy notion of hitting the bottom of your boat to make sound to draw the fish near. The bite is usually soft and you have to be quick.

[Linked Image]White Bass Lures

I use one set up this time of year. I use a light slab with jigs tied above it in 12 inch lengths. If you are drifting with drift socks or the winds are calm enough to drift without them then use a heaver slab to keep your bait as vertical as you can get it. Color doesn’t really matter on the lures but some days they hit one a little more. I will have multiple colors tied on for the jigs. If you are going after big fish like hybrids or striper than an heavy Jig head with a 3 or 4 inch fluke is your best bet.

Attached picture IMG_3408.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3409.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3410.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3411.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3412.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3413.jpg
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/12/23 07:44 PM

banana banana banana

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 01/14/23 08:44 PM

Those are great screenshots John. You are on some great fishđź‘Ť

Re: Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Reports: www.jvguideservice.com - 03/02/23 02:24 PM

Lake Ray Hubbard has been very good for February and the begging of March. The weather has been fantastic except for a few windy and rainy days.This is why we suffer in August for 60/70 degree temps in the winter . Please remember I offer trips 7 days a week and the weekdays there isn’t a sole on the water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Patterns
Lake Ray Hubbard from March thru April there are a lot of changes in that short span. As you get closer to spring when the water starts to warm the shallower they get. Most of my current catching is in water 28-32 ft deep. Most days the fish will suspend a few cranks off of bottom. Its dead sticking time or at least as slow as movement has you can stand for this month. A thumper is vital this time of year as these fish roam the flats. People have their theory has to why it works, I am just a fishing guide not a biologist. All your life you are told to be quiet when fishing then comes along the crazy notion of hitting the bottom of your boat to make sound to draw the fish near. The bite is usually soft and you have to be quick. Right now is basically the start of the Spawn for whiteness, especially with the warmer days. Lots of fish are starting up the creeks, not all go though and you can have very successful days on the main body of the lake. Once April gets here depending on weather and moon phase the shad spawn will start and the white bass will go crazy after they spawn.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

White Bass Lures
I use one set up this time of year until the fish start chasing shad shallow after the shad spawn. I use a light slab with jigs tied above it in 12 inch lengths. If you are drifting with drift socks or the winds are calm enough to drift without them then use a heaver slab to keep your bait as vertical as you can get it. Color doesn’t really matter on the lures but some days they hit one a little more. I will have multiple colors tied on for the jigs. If you are going after big fish like hybrids or striper than a heavy Jig head with a 3 or 4 inch fluke is your best bet. Once the fish move shallow , I throw the smallest bait possible during the spawn on warm days. When mid April gets here I throw 3 inch swim baits or tail spinners especially when they are chasing bait Shallow.

Attached picture IMG_3890.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3891.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3892.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3893.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3894.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3895.jpg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum