Forums59
Topics1,039,376
Posts13,963,583
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709074 04/09/18 01:59 PM
Allison1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Whoa! Slow down.
While we are talking about welfare abuses and people cheating to get them, realize that the vast majority of welfare spending is on the elderly and those physically unfit to work or are working families. Last time I looked it was up in the 80 to 90 percent of funds spent on government assistance.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Notaguide] #12709150 04/09/18 02:40 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy OP
aka "Dad"
OP Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
My birth certificate has my step dads name on it

Ok, I'm curious. Why?

Dad gave up parental rights and I was adopted

Huh. See, here's where I'm naive. Generally, I would think that it's in the best interests of the child to have the biological father listed on the birth certificate, and then have the court orders for A) voluntary termination of parental rights, and B) adoption by stepfather.

In your particular case, maybe it's a non-issue.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709164 04/09/18 02:54 PM
R
RJACK81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
My birth certificate has my step dads name on it

Ok, I'm curious. Why?

Dad gave up parental rights and I was adopted

Huh. See, here's where I'm naive. Generally, I would think that it's in the best interests of the child to have the biological father listed on the birth certificate, and then have the court orders for A) voluntary termination of parental rights, and B) adoption by stepfather.

In your particular case, maybe it's a non-issue.

When a child is adopted the biological parent(s) are removed from the birth certificate and the adopted parent(s) name is replaced. We adopted our son through foster care in Texas. His original Missouri birth certificate was changed to show my wife and I as the biological birth parents. We were even allowed to get him a new ss# to keep his bio parents from using his credit or claiming him for taxes. This seems to be the norm for adopted children. The ss# was an exception. We had to fight hard for that.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Allison1] #12709170 04/09/18 02:57 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: Allison1
Whoa! Slow down.
While we are talking about welfare abuses and people cheating to get them, realize that the vast majority of welfare spending is on the elderly and those physically unfit to work or are working families. Last time I looked it was up in the 80 to 90 percent of funds spent on government assistance.

The definition of physically unfit to work is pretty twisted. Big fat people with diabetes don't need disability they need a diet and exercise.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709173 04/09/18 02:58 PM
Allison1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I hope they annotate that you are an adopting parent. I understand deleting the biological parent but for future health reasons I don't understand calling an adoptive parent a biological parent.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Allison1] #12709207 04/09/18 03:16 PM
R
RJACK81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I hope they annotate that you are an adopting parent. I understand deleting the biological parent but for future health reasons I don't understand calling an adoptive parent a biological parent.

That is the way the system works. It is up to the adoptive parents to keep records for all biological family members for future health reasons. The courts do very extensive research to find all biological relatives prior to allowing a child to be adopted by someone that is not in their family tree. We have the most complete list available of any and all family members for our son. On thing you have to understand is most adopted children come from broken homes. These children had very little family support, so there may be little to no history available to them in the future even if they were to stay with biological parents. As mentioned above. The fathers are usually kept off the birth certificates for monetary gain leaving the family tree one sided to begin with. That was not the case with our son, but is commonplace in the foster care system. I'm not saying I agree with the way the system is setup, but I think it is designed for the best interest of the child.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709216 04/09/18 03:23 PM
P
PondFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Hey Zeke, wrap, your head around this...
Back in 1986 I took a law class at UTD and paternity and parental rights as well as responsibilities was a big part of it. At the time medical science was just on the verge of what today we think of as pretty commonplace. In what we all thought was a pretty convoluted idea at the time we came up with a list of types of parents:
Egg donor Mother
Sperm donor Father
Womb carrying Mother
Mother that raises the child
Father that raises the child

Our imaginations didn't even think of same sex parents at the time.

I am reminded of that conversation a lot now a days because at the time we considered all our ideas as strictly hypothetical.

Last edited by PondFish; 04/09/18 03:24 PM.
Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709238 04/09/18 03:36 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
By the way, the whole idea of having baby that you have no intention paying for is about as offensive a thing as I have every heard, almost as offensive as a certain party encouraging it for votes. Like a giant field of cattle or something.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: WAWI] #12709259 04/09/18 03:48 PM
R
RJACK81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I totally agree with you. We had so many children in and out of our home while we were foster parents. It is the saddest thing in the world to hear a child utter the words "Nobody wants/loves me!" My heart would break for these children daily.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709265 04/09/18 03:51 PM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
Not worried about my birth certificate
I wanna know how you get all those other unearned government give aways.

The section 8 housing and the earned income tax credit.

On second thought never mind. The housing is most likely where I would not want to live and I don't pay taxes anyway.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709420 04/09/18 05:24 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I dont recall having a choice in the matter

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709449 04/09/18 05:40 PM
F
Flooringit Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Oh when I get some time this evening I will give you a. True story no one ever seen coming

2013 Phoenix 920xp
Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12709719 04/09/18 08:56 PM
F
Flooringit Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Ok Zeek heres a good one for you.

My uncle was married. His wife was pregnant they goto hospital As shes getting ready for delivery. They go in the room he comes completely in shock. The new baby girl is black! ( no this isnt a joke ) he doesnt agree to his name being on the birth certificate as him and his wife are white. Everyone in the room clearly knows this is not his kid. BUT cause he is married to this piece of work, his name has to go on birth certificate. He then files for divorce and files for a paternity test. During this process he dies. ( Im sure the embarrassment pain he suffered was very traumatic. His heart gave out!) so now he has a kid not his but in his name. Biological father denies its his kid. Mother moves to Florida with kid gets married but is receiving social security from my uncles name seeing it was his child legally. Well the biological father figures this out. He the. Files a parental kinapping against the mother , Florida goes to her house takes kid sends it back to mcihingan to live with the biological father , who now collects the disability money from my uncle seeing it was his kid leagally still. Florida doesnt arrest her but she has to go back to Michigan to get custody back, she provides the birth certificate that has my uncles name on it and says no its not this guys kid. Even though everyone knew it was, he was black and my uncle was white. .baby real daddy is getting 1800$ a month for a kid he said wasnt his. They get to court and the biological dad is trying to get custody mother shows where he denied baby was his , he refused to dna and mom didnt want him to cause she got more from social security then she would get from child support and the biological only wanted the kid if he could get the social security money. Case was dropped.

I hired a attorney and tried to get the kid out of my uncles name but was allowed to cause only a sibiling or parent could do that. Shame on the system !!!!!

2013 Phoenix 920xp
Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Allison1] #12709804 04/09/18 10:10 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Whoa! Slow down.

Really? That surprises me. Can you post sources for that? Not trying to call you out on it because I genuinely don't know, but I find it surprising.

Either way, my argument is that welfare belongs in the realm of charities and not the federal government.

Re: My latest legal education lightbulb moment [Re: Allison1] #12709826 04/09/18 10:25 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Whoa! Slow down.

Many of the SNAP benefits go to the working poor. Military families spent about $67 million in food stamps at commissaries in 2016. So while people can game the system, one doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide