Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11817569 09/08/16 01:21 PM
T
Thinwater skinner Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Remember Falcon Lake was built for water retention and flood control... The sad part of the lake is fishing is not the reason the lake was built. It is only a side benefit when the fish live and get bigger. Not right, but that is the way it is looked at most of the time. I hope something is done about the fish kill ASAP.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: Jarrett Latta] #11817810 09/08/16 03:19 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If I keep an undersized fish I get a ticket, a contractor kills thousands....no big deal? Sounds about right

I agree completely; total BS. I'm all for TPWD, but if there is not a mechanism for holding this group accountable for the wildlife they killed through restitution then they need to be working on legislation to fill that gap in authority right now. I hope the perceived slow/no response is due to diligence inspecting the construction site, paperwork, and standard protocols for wildlife consideration during a construction. That probably is the case, but it could be years before an agency is able to gather the evidence for a rock solid court case, have it get through a court, and then actually receive restitution from responsible parties.

Scott Jones
Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11817865 09/08/16 03:42 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
So is there an avenue to seek some sort of discipline to those who are responsible??

#MFGA
Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11817899 09/08/16 03:56 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
colateral damage,..and yes, that sucks. mad

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11817953 09/08/16 04:24 PM
206champion Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Maybe something will get done

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: Outdoordude] #11818000 09/08/16 04:50 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If I keep an undersized fish I get a ticket, a contractor kills thousands....no big deal? Sounds about right

I agree completely; total BS. I'm all for TPWD, but if there is not a mechanism for holding this group accountable for the wildlife they killed through restitution then they need to be working on legislation to fill that gap in authority right now. I hope the perceived slow/no response is due to diligence inspecting the construction site, paperwork, and standard protocols for wildlife consideration during a construction. That probably is the case, but it could be years before an agency is able to gather the evidence for a rock solid court case, have it get through a court, and then actually receive restitution from responsible parties.

^^^ exactly why all the "good" that may be done by the TPWD(and all other State wildlife agents) is(and SHOULD BE) Overshadowed by this Horrible incident that could(and SHOULD) have been prevented!! Pay hundreds if not thousands a year(just 1 trip to say Falcon for me- lodging, fuel, etc) to enjoy a resource and then WATCH THIS S*&$ occur and ZERO penalties handed out. Like mentioned above I have one bass in my livewell that doesn't meet standards I get FRIED and could lose my boat, fishing privileges, etc.

These guys... NOTHING

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11818527 09/08/16 09:22 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Before you guys send the lynch mob. When this project first started the water levels were much higher. The water levels have dropped like they normally would this time of year due to the lack of rain and mainly the release of water at the dam from the Mexico side to provide water down in the valley for irrigation. In the 13 years I fished the lake on a regular basis, I noticed a fish kill all across the lake in late summer. Falcon fish like to live shallow because that is where a lot of the food source is. When there is a lack of rain and the lake drops drastically, there is less oxygen and the fish will die.
Not saying the Valeno bridge project was done correctly. But, everyone who wants to complain needs to think about the real reasons and speak up about the ongoing major problem. Which is the high release rates of water from Mexico. Just my 2 cents.
On a side note. I remember when all the Alligator Gar ate all the fish in Falcon. They seemed to have replenished rather quickly. They will in the Valeno when the project is finished.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: fouzman] #11818844 09/09/16 12:42 AM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I think some of you guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter that the fish kill was in the Veleno only. What matters is the fish kill could have been prevented. None of the responsible parties took the necessary precautions and thousands of dead fish is the result. It doesn't matter that the rest of the lake is in good shape. What if it weren't? TPWD has penalties for wanton waste of a resource, in this case largemouth bass. I think the TPWD guy in charge of the region should have to go down there with his team and pick up all the dead bass. After they have the count, issue citations for restitution to the responsible parties.

Amen

IMO TP&W has become a bad joke in regards to protecting Texas fish and game per their charter after the grass carp fiascos at Conroe and Lake Austin and now this fish kill at Falcon under their watch.

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: OldChamp] #11819073 09/09/16 02:02 AM
Eland Slayer Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: OldChamp
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I think some of you guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter that the fish kill was in the Veleno only. What matters is the fish kill could have been prevented. None of the responsible parties took the necessary precautions and thousands of dead fish is the result. It doesn't matter that the rest of the lake is in good shape. What if it weren't? TPWD has penalties for wanton waste of a resource, in this case largemouth bass. I think the TPWD guy in charge of the region should have to go down there with his team and pick up all the dead bass. After they have the count, issue citations for restitution to the responsible parties.

Amen

IMO TP&W has become a bad joke in regards to protecting Texas fish and game per their charter after the grass carp fiascos at Conroe and Lake Austin and now this fish kill at Falcon under their watch.

Or how about the current clusterf*** with whitetail deer and CWD? rolleyes

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11819104 09/09/16 02:11 AM
C
Cody Ryan Greaney- TOZ Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I was there today... Went up to the bridge. They actually had a cut in the dam that allowed natural flow as well as a culvert. If a fish wanted out, today they could get through.
I saw no dead fish. I fished the Valeno a while and caught a ton of fish.
Just reporting what I saw today.

Listen every week on www.HornFM.com or in Central Texas on 104.9FM each Saturday from 6-8am. The Outdoor Zone - #1 Outdoor Radio Show in Texas on NBC Sports!
Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: Cody Ryan Greaney- TOZ] #11819361 09/09/16 04:09 AM
J
jwatts77 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Cody Ryan Greaney- TOZ
I was there today... Went up to the bridge. They actually had a cut in the dam that allowed natural flow as well as a culvert. If a fish wanted out, today they could get through.
I saw no dead fish. I fished the Valeno a while and caught a ton of fish.
Just reporting what I saw today.

thumb nature's resilience!

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11819503 09/09/16 12:38 PM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
James @ Falcon Lake Tackle was on local channel 5 talking about it. It showed the area to the East side of the berm, and the culvert, which was above the water level, since the water level in the arroyo dropped. It showed many dead, dried up fish on dry land. They looked to me like carp. Afterwards, the contractor was working to alleviate the situation. And no, it apparently didn't affect the fishing in the Veleno itself, or the rest of the lake. James, correct me if I am wrong.

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11819559 09/09/16 01:05 PM
T
TexasMood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11820842 09/10/16 04:05 AM
W
Workfishngolf37 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Nothing will be done until everyone starts emailing tp&w. Flood their mailbox until someone gets a response. Post the response on here and if it's not the response you want email that persons boss. James can't do it alone. If word gets out quickly then I'm sure the company will be glad to write a check to cover the dead fish. No company wants to look like they don't care about Mother Earth even if they don't. first thing is to contact the company get a name and number of person in charge. This needs to be done by someone that lives in Zapata since it affects them the most.

Re: Fish kill @ Falcon [Re: TxPanhandle] #11820954 09/10/16 11:40 AM
C
Cody Ryan Greaney- TOZ Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Sounds like they had a meeting this week and it resulted in an immediate response by the construction company. I don't really think there are any more issues with the bridge...

Listen every week on www.HornFM.com or in Central Texas on 104.9FM each Saturday from 6-8am. The Outdoor Zone - #1 Outdoor Radio Show in Texas on NBC Sports!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide