Forums59
Topics1,039,655
Posts13,968,517
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: WAWI] #10146197 07/18/14 11:19 AM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
After hearing the stipulations the SAL folks have put on the "experiment" I have to change my position. I like others felt that the lake would be fished and fished for a fee. The fact that they agreed to this "no fishing" commercial or other quite frankly surprises me. Not believing that anything learned will be transferable to a major lake still makes me wonder about the use the state can put this to but hopefully some genetic ground can be broken. Will a 20lb. fish be grown, I doubt it and wonder if a fish from an experiment like this would be counted as a record anyway. Again hope some good data is gathered in the next 15 years.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Ken A.] #10146212 07/18/14 11:35 AM
JPeel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
..... Guys, a 17# bass is as rare as moon-rock. .....

I have a moon rock I bought at the mall in the 70's.

the fisherman formerly known as Blu-Ranger....
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: dudley44] #10146217 07/18/14 11:36 AM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: dudley44
might be old news but Arms Bait Co,Proctor,Texas( Harold Arms(deceased)-business still operating) raised fingerling bass,hybrid bass,ect on high protein pellets. Trained to come to feeder,moved to holding ponds,continued training to come twice a day to 40% protein pellets then moved to private waters where they were further fed--like Fouzman mentioned " a feeding freezy"--weren't really hard to catch but fun. fast growing and stout

Not tryin to be tooo picky, but "Harrel" (not "Harold") Arms was a very long time very good friend, mentor and customer of mine. I and many others miss him dearly. Along with a few others no longer with us, he was a true pioneer in the field of sport fisheries on private waters.

A great man in many ways......especially to those that knew him.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: txmasterpo] #10146218 07/18/14 11:37 AM
JPeel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
....To those of you displaying shock that a State Government agency could be up to some shenanigans, I am at a loss. I work for the State, and shenanigans is our middle name! The Federal Government's middle name is "GD MFing shenanigans"........ true story.

Good luck Doc!!

Now THIS is one of the funniest things I've seen on here in a long time!

the fisherman formerly known as Blu-Ranger....
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: dudley44] #10146242 07/18/14 11:52 AM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: dudley44
Fouzman-don't the fish have genetic markers???

They do. And.....yall are all saying and especially asking, the wrong things......You need help.

See if you can find out this about SAL....."How many genetically marked specimens that are offspring of SAL fish have been recovered from the places where they were stocked?"

Once you got that answer, "How many of these genetically marked fingerlings stocked into this cleanly prepared lake will be recovered?"

Now I'm not gonna say nuthin' bad about TP&WD, SAL, La Perla Ranch, Camelot Bell or anything else. My friends and cohorts work at and for these places. I will, however, help see that the proper questions get asked and hopefully researched. I can give the answers, but finding them on your own gives them a lot more meaning.

Nobody has more trouble with government impropriety than I do. Although rife in TP&WD for the 30+ years I've worked as a biologist, I don't see it in this project.

Folks that have a problem with the state using publicly funded resources for private profit can certainly find a lot more egregious cases than this non-issue. If you need help figuring where to start, I can do that as well....

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: JT Evans] #10146253 07/18/14 11:58 AM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: JT Evans
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I wonder if there are any documented surveys of private or public waters in Texas that have yielded any fish over 20 pounds?

I heard a rumor of 2 OWR lakes that had 20+ pound fish around 2011, but nothing documented.

I have wondered about this myself. I also wonder how many of the SAL fry released into public waters actually survive predation from other fish. We will never know the answer to that but if its a small percentage then it defeats the purpose.

GOOD QUESTION!!!!

There is an answer, not sure if it has ever been made public.

Fishbreeder

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Shawn Mead] #10146267 07/18/14 12:04 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
"stress during transport"......

I had transported by Arkansas fish hauler truck, 250,000 1-2 inch bass fingerlings to Phoenix, AZ a few years back with almost 100% in good condition, not just "survival." You catch a bass around Phoenix, it came from Texas.

Bass fingerlings are shipped by air cargo almost daily, if they were going to stress and die, they would not be shipped. Not an issue with modern equipment and techniques.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Fishbreeder] #10146307 07/18/14 12:25 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Folks that have a problem with the state using publicly funded resources for private profit can certainly find a lot more egregious cases than this non-issue. If you need help figuring where to start, I can do that as well....

What a true statement. For example right here in our county we have a rancher whose daughter is married to a US Congressman. Five years ago they built a 100 acre "flood control" lake on his place, with yours and mine tax dollars. Trust me flood control lakes and Shackleford County are oxymorons. The lake is still dry.
So don't sweat a few fish, la Perla built their own lakes, and spent their own money on this stuff. If anyone thinks Gary is the only guy that has ever gotten free fish from TPWD they are way wrong. At least he has a goal for these fish and is will to work with the state. If he can get results for raising big bass like he has big deer it will be good for the state. This deal makes sense in the fact that TPWD can't raise a 20 pounder in a tank and can't possibly raise one in an uncontrolled large lake. Finding a good steward that has a lake big enough is key to any chance for success. Gary is the right person, he not only has built a perfect test lake but is willing to foot the bill for the state. It doesn't matter what he does with it after his agreement period but I'll bet he continues to work with them.
Just go to a TPWD meeting and listen to a commissioner( I.e., rich guy with a ranch and a buddy that is governor) and you will see.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: horseplaydvm] #10146332 07/18/14 12:37 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Gary,
Thank you very much for the transparency!!! I truly have no problems with you or what you are trying to accomplish.
I was also curious as to the details of donating a SAL from the angler. Im glad fkirk joined in the discussion to enlighten us on his experience. Im also disappointed as he is that he was not notified after the SAL program changed their agreement and did not notify him first to get his approval. He did in fact catch the SAL and donated it to the program with the understanding what the future plans for the fish and her offspring would be. SAL program owes some more explanation on this matter.
I do continue to have a problem with TP&W and how THEY choose to spend our tax dollars. Im all for continued research for growing bigger LMB. Unfortunately, I do not believe we as taxpayers should allow the State to contract with private individuals who may eventually benefit from this. You and I both know that you cannot duplicate what you are doing with private waters in a public water system. So why the research in a private system? Genetics is the key. Unfortunately, Texas needs to remove ALL LMB and start over to get bigger LMB and possibly a world record. Once Native LMB genetics are removed, then they will see the results. We also know this will never be done. The other option, is a new lake in a fertile land area stocked with pure Florida or better yet, California LMB. Give it an off limits of ten years, then limited fishing pressure. Texas has had such a long term success in growing 13 lb+ fish, that now they believe it is not good enough. Come fish with me in Oklahoma some time. You will truly appreciate what Texas has to offer! I fished lakes in South Texas for 13 years and it was amazing! Even I got spoiled on Falcon and got disgusted catching an 8-9 lb fish. I always wanted a 10 lb+ or it wasn't good enough. Fish in south Texas grow very quickly in the warm climate. They also die prematurely. Here again, genetics is the key. They need a LMB with superior growth genetics which also has a longer lifespan genetic potential. Also, the climates in North Texas and South Texas are very different. The same genetic makeup will not work in both places.
I wish you the best in your journey!

Hey Horseplay thanks. I too feel very bad for the angler that caught the fish that contributed to the fry I am caring for, because I feel he is now a part of me. It breaks my heart that he is disenchanted enough that he wants to send the mount back, but I do know this...

1.There is nothing "smelly" about what happened between me and TPWD.

2. Allen Forshage is one of the most dedicated, by the book men I have ever met. I mean, think about this: I called him immediately on December 2013 when we shocked up the fish James Hall from Bassmasters named Pearl, a 13:15 fish only 7 yrs old. I wanted to donate her to SAL. She would have been bigger and younger than all of the SAL fish that were eventually donated for 2014 at the program, and bigger than the fish that eventually sent a small percent of her offspring to Jalisco. I would have been entitled to way more than 7000 of Pearl's fry back to my lakes, TPWD would have had no contract tie in to my new and best lake for 15 years. Also, 50% of her fry would have gone on to other public or private waters somewhere in the state to benefit you bass fishermen out there. Heck, at the time, there weren't even any lunkers that had been donated yet. It seemed like a slam
dunk deal, but for one problem...Allan's commitment to following the rules.

Allen asked us one question: was she legally caught by a rod and reel fisherman, because that is the way the rules are written. Allen refused to break them, even though I legally owned the fish myself and had the authority to remove her from my water any way I wanted to and send her wherever I desired.

I don't denigrate the sacrifice and contribution of any SAL Donor, but simply want to point out that the commitment of Allen Forshage to follow the rules is really steadfast. None of us could believe it, but were all very impressed, especially James Hall from Bassmasters, who heard the whole conversation take place right there in the shocker boat with Pearl in the big live well.

As Pearl slipped back into the green waters of La Perla, I thought about how often rules are written that aren't complete enough, and have unintended consequences such as happened here. Obviously, shocking can't be allowed on a public body of water, hence the rule. I guess at the time, the rule writers could not imagine some guy with his own private lake and giant fish might want to donate it, and that the quickest and least traumatic way to do it would be to shock her up!

Oh well, what might have been, but for the rules!

Horseplay, the very scenario you dream about describes what is happening at Jalisco, where there are no Northern genetics to dilute the Pure Florida gene we introduced. As the fish grow and multiply in the nutrient rich South Texas waters, one day a big rain will come, fill it up, and overflow. The waters of Jalisco flow out for 3-5 days when that happens, eventually making their way on down to Arroyo Salada, and then the waters dump in to the Rio Grande, only a few miles away. The wood storks come in droves, picking at the fingerling fish fry that always go out as the waters escape. It is natures way.

The next time that happens, the fish escaping won't be just Bluegill, shad, and fathead minnows, but pure Floridas from SAL, and the storks don't get them all. Just down river lies Falcon. And so, in this way, as the years go by, over and over again, super genetics from this project will continue to supplement Falcon. Later, as the Jalisco population grows and enlarges, some of the fish will be removed and taken to benefit another fishery. It might be a giant that goes to SAL, or it might be a bunch of young two pounders that need thinning out. My agreement does not cover every possible detail, only who is in charge for how long. Anything else would require too many lawyers and pages. At some point in most relationships, it is not about the contract, but about trust.

I don't know where, when, by what method, or how many fish will be taken from my private waters to go somewhere else, but I do trust the man who will be making that decision, and I know that it will be fair to me, and good for Texas, as long as Allan Forshage is there, or someone just like him.

Fkirk, if you are the guy who caught the fish, please hold off until you learn more and see what you have become a part of. I invite you to contact me, and to come see it for yourself. Please do that first before you make your final decision. What you did was an awesome thing. That contribution has not been tarnished, and I think you will agree in time.
Gary

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10146378 07/18/14 12:55 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Betcha dollars to donuts there is more to that "must be caught by hook and line" rule than just an arbitrary rule......

There is HUGE evidence based in solid research on many species, including specifically LMB that "catchability" (or lack thereof) is an inherited trait. I could go deeply into this a it has been an area of research of mine for over 30 years. Suffice it to say that catchability (by any gear) can be bred into or out of a strain of fish, and has been.

Start selecting for fish that were not caught by H&L and you may, likely will, decrease catchability. A lake full of 16 pounders does no good if they are impossible to catch except by shocker....and yes, they can be both bred and/or trained to resist being caught that way as well. Once you try all the other methods of catching fish besides H&L, seine net, gill net, trammel net, fyke net, wing net, hoop net, fish shocker, slat trap, jar trap, cloverleaf trap, etc. you will find that "its still fishing."

Fishbreeder

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10146391 07/18/14 12:58 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Words of a true gentleman and pioneer!

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10146398 07/18/14 01:00 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Oh and I got a soft spot in my heart for oral surgeons....It was one of those, after a dentist, endodontist, family doctor, among others failed to make a diagnosis for my problem. The oral surgeon nailed it from the get go.....he couldn't help otherwise, but just knowing what was wrong was a big first step. It was "trigeminal neuralgia" try looking that one up if you need some horrifying. Oh the neurosurgeon cured me in 2001, but that could not have happened without the oral surgeon pointing me in the correct direction.

Fishbreeder

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10146400 07/18/14 01:00 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Boy, The TFF is loaded with negative and miserable people. Why so much hate?

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Tubby] #10146413 07/18/14 01:04 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Tubby
Boy, The TFF is loaded with negative and miserable people. Why so much hate?

Narrow minds, unable to think outside the box for themselves, just my guess?

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10146414 07/18/14 01:05 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Gary, PM sent. You'll find it behind that flashing envelope at the top of the page.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide