Print Thread
A/T Reporting In From Fresh To Salt... #9996516 05/19/14 07:54 PM
A
AcousticTennis Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A
Hey guys and gals! I've been pretty busy traveling around Texas lately. Finals were finally done with so we celebrated with a little lake time up in Burnett.

We got there about a hour before the big storms rolled through. I immediately walked down to the water and started the trip off right.

The weather lasted for 2 days with a really impressive lightning show and a good deal of rain. The temperatures dropped again (tired of fronts) so fishing was incredibly slow.

I made my way out on the second day to feed some fuel to another fire. Arrowheads! Me and the gal had a great time walking around looking for these suckers that have been uncovered due to the rain. We ended up finding a lot of half pieces like the one below, and a few really nice undamaged pieces.

On the third day the weather had finally let up and it was nice and calm. I got out on the water and started trolling but it was still slow with a sand bass and small hybrid every once in a while. I got back to launch and started thinking up a new game plan.

The cast net came out and I rounded up some minnows for bait. The plan was to troll minnows offshore style. I get maybe 10 feet off the shoreline and cast the minnow behind me when a *cough* technical error with the reel occurred. When the problem was finally resolved I noticed a small pull on the line. Set the hook and my first black crappie hit the kayak!

I stayed close to try and get another but all that wanted to play was a 20" largemouth.

The winds picked up and I was getting crushed so I beached up and tossed more minnows out. The bass were in the area and running big. This bass ran a hair over 23" and the other ran 22". Our dog chili was being a good gal making sure the fish didnt get away. lol

The next morning I was on a mission to figure out carp. I know they aren't the most wanted catch but it seemed like a nice challenge. I looked all over the shorelines and found nice schools but they didnt want any of the corn or doughballs I had to offer. I got on a large rock and looked down on one school to watch them feed. They were eating some moss off the rocks. I ran to another shoreline where I know it runs thick and scrapped some off. I got some line and wrapped the moss on a treble and BAM! Carp on!

I focused my efforts on a small inlet where they HAD to pass my bait if they wanted out. I landed about 5 or 6 carp and one hungry catfish.

This would sum up my lake adventures for now. I had to get back to corpus and get some salt back in the blood.

Shout out to the guy working at the bait bucket last night! I walked in after closing and he still took time to help me out! It was muchappreciated.

I launched and fought the wind last night to where I thought the redfish would be hiding. I've only fished this area once before so I had no idea what to expect. Sure enough it was ON! Reds were schooled busting glass minnows in inches of water.

I caught 4 slot Reds in about 45minutes with artificials. One of them looked like it ate a football.

It was a great much needed night. Now I'm back on the road and off to phoenix tomorrow. Ill be missing the salt but with brown tide and seaweed I wont be missing it too much.

Till next time
Life is good!
- Tino

Re: A/T Reporting In From Fresh To Salt... [Re: AcousticTennis] #9996652 05/19/14 08:35 PM
J
J Barlow Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Nice!!

Re: A/T Reporting In From Fresh To Salt... [Re: AcousticTennis] #9996672 05/19/14 08:45 PM
T
Txwhitacre Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Your reports are always loaded. Thanks. Man you really get around!

Re: A/T Reporting In From Fresh To Salt... [Re: AcousticTennis] #9996708 05/19/14 08:52 PM
M
mjmfc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
You're living the life man! Thanks for sharing

Re: A/T Reporting In From Fresh To Salt... [Re: AcousticTennis] #9996961 05/19/14 10:24 PM
O
onebaddj Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
thats a nice trip. the arrow heads would be cool to find. my son would love that.

MALIBUTEE X-13.

" I wasnt born with enough middle fingers"
Re: A/T Reporting In From Fresh To Salt... [Re: AcousticTennis] #9997034 05/19/14 10:58 PM
F
Fishgutz Offline
Angler
Angler
F
That dog looked hungry!!! Nice job as always flehan

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide