Page 1 of 2 1 2
True or false? #9986585 05/15/14 01:42 PM
C
craigo Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
We've all heard it said that birds can stock an otherwise unstocked body of water by dropping/carrying fish eggs. Any conclusive evidence of this other than "well my uncle dug a tank and never stocked it but it's got fish in it?"

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9986644 05/15/14 02:05 PM
G
gran86 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
One of my teachers told me in highschool that is true. Biology teacher.

Re: True or false? [Re: gran86] #9986697 05/15/14 02:28 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Yes, its true. Take the kingfisher. This bird has a habit of catching a fish in one pond then flying over another pond and dropping it in. Do this a few times with something like a green sunfish or bullhead catfish and the stocked pond soon has many fish in it. Then the kingfisher nests, has babies, and they move to the area by the newly stocked pond. By this means the kingfisher expands its range, especially in wetter years by stocking ponds to insure a greater food supply.

OTOH, especially in places like where I work and live along the coast, fish move about fairly easily over very long distances during periods of heavy rainfall. I have seen many thousands of small fish in less than a half inch of water in a grassy field. When it rains a lot and the ditches run, and the fields are flooded, all the water bodies are connected and fish can move in and out easily.

Fish are very good at moving into and filling any aquatic habitat with a void. It is very difficult to find any body of water that has had constant water in it for a year that has no fish. Hence the need to stock ponds soon after they have filled in order to fill the void with desirable, rather than invasive or less desirable species.

Fishbreeder

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9986763 05/15/14 02:49 PM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I have personally seen it, in bodies of water that were definitely never stocked. Example: There was a drainage ditch for irrigation on one of the farms. It was about 200 yards long, 10 feet wide, and maybe 3 feet deep at the deepest point. It was not connected into any other body of water, even during flooding. It usually went dry every year as well. We had a period of time where it stayed wet for two years, but started to dry up during the 3rd year. It slowly dried up to a very small area, and you could see all the fish swimming. I took the cast net down there to get as many as I could fill my freezer with, and was surprised to find 2 gar, thousands of fingerling catfish, 3 adult catfish, 2 carp, and more shad then I could transport. Oh, and one crappie. No bluegill or bass.

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9986792 05/15/14 02:54 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
God will find a way!

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: True or false? [Re: Fishbreeder] #9986824 05/15/14 03:01 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Yes, its true. Take the kingfisher. This bird has a habit of catching a fish in one pond then flying over another pond and dropping it in. Do this a few times with something like a green sunfish or bullhead catfish and the stocked pond soon has many fish in it. Then the kingfisher nests, has babies, and they move to the area by the newly stocked pond. By this means the kingfisher expands its range, especially in wetter years by stocking ponds to insure a greater food supply.

OTOH, especially in places like where I work and live along the coast, fish move about fairly easily over very long distances during periods of heavy rainfall. I have seen many thousands of small fish in less than a half inch of water in a grassy field. When it rains a lot and the ditches run, and the fields are flooded, all the water bodies are connected and fish can move in and out easily.

Fish are very good at moving into and filling any aquatic habitat with a void. It is very difficult to find any body of water that has had constant water in it for a year that has no fish. Hence the need to stock ponds soon after they have filled in order to fill the void with desirable, rather than invasive or less desirable species.

Hey Brett, what about the myth that shore birds like Herons transport fertilized eggs from pond-to-pond on their legs, and that's how the ponds get fish in them?. I have never believed that one. Never knew about the Kingfisher stocking, either. That's too cool. But I was well aware that most get "stocked" during periods of heavy rainfall and flooding.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9987212 05/15/14 04:52 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
We have a dry creekbed at the ranch close to Abilene. We had good rains last year and the water table seeped up in a few places, nothing bigger than sheet of plywood. Last August I was walking the creekbed looking for arrowheads and came upon on of these seeps. It was full of tiny fish. There no ponds upstream that they could have come from.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988085 05/15/14 09:39 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
This is a bit off-topic, but ponds (tanks) can get stocked by fishermen seining up bait minnows from a creek, and then dumping the unused fish. Carp get into a lot of ponds this way

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988176 05/15/14 10:16 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I don't believe it. As far as minnows showing up in a dry creek, the aquafers are alive with small minnows and when springs run the minnows do too.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988229 05/15/14 10:42 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I read an article on this several years ago. It said that small fish will embed themselves in and under the feathers of birds that swim or stand in that water. The birds would move to another body of water and then those small fish would end up released after the bird lands. What was the name of show.....oh yes.......Believe it or not!!!

FishKen
Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988567 05/16/14 12:49 AM
X
xanadu Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
X
Very true.
Charles Darwin proved that many years ago.
We have a pond that we built. Never stocked. No creek that feeds it. Has fish. Explain how that could be anything other than birds.

Last edited by xanadu; 05/16/14 12:51 AM.

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988651 05/16/14 01:23 AM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I do believe Bill Dance or someone of that magnitude said something about it one of their shows as well. If you have water and birds, and fish show up, It only makes sense. I'm a believer!!

FishKen
Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988872 05/16/14 02:32 AM
T
The finesse guru Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I do believe it my pond had no fish in it then a few years later I went out there and caught some!

Re: True or false? [Re: craigo] #9988881 05/16/14 02:35 AM
D
DKennimer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I believe it.

Re: True or false? [Re: xanadu] #9990065 05/16/14 03:49 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Fish are very good migrators.

Birds is only one way they can spread. There are many others.

Yes, something like a shad, carp, buffalo fish, etc. that is an "egg spreader" with "sticky" eggs (eggs that cling to whatever substrate they touch and as opposed to non-sticky eggs that tumble down the river) can lay these eggs onto the feet of birds, all over turtles, snakes, alligators, nutria, beaver, anything that moves from land to water and back, where they can easily be transported fairly long distances, to hatch in new waters where the animal may have them fall off, or actually while the animal is just in the water. Fish eggs can stand to be out of water a fairly long time in many cases.

And if a lake or pond has anything short of a spillway with at least a six foot vertical drop, all manner of fish can swim into the lake just by jumping over the spillway when water is flowing over it. A 45 degree angle drop don't get it, even small fish can swim up that when water is flowing over, even if only a half inch deep. 6' Vertical drop. even than some carp might clear it during high flows.

The Chinese have a myth wherein the carp approaches the waterfall and as it jumps over the waterfall, it turns into dragon and flies away. That is how good they can jump, folks think they are flying dragons.

Some fish eggs can sit in a dry river bed for as long as 50 years, then hatch when it rains enough to fill the riverbed long enough for the fish, to hatch, grow, reproduce, and die after laying more long lived eggs.

Nature abhors a vacuum and you will seldom come upon any pond that has had water in it for very long at all that has no fish.

Fishbreeder

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide