Forums59
Topics1,039,855
Posts13,971,206
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9980270 05/13/14 01:29 PM
T
Thump My Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
T
yep.. all the time. I dont leave home without it.

2002 21 Ft Fish Master CC & 140 4 Stroke Suzuki

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9981200 05/13/14 06:15 PM
A
austin_on_guitar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I'm pleased it is now legal to carry genuine switchblade knives in the state of Texas, as of September 2013. I've got a utility knife in the tackle box, but a switchblade in the pocket. I too would rather find a 'nice' looking spot, and move if necessary, but also believe in the law of the jungle, that if one projects authority and strength, it's less preferable than a weaker target. No desire to have to get into a mess with anybody, but every time I hear the *thwack* of the switchblade coming out to play, it's a comforting sound that I know other people can recognize. While it comes up for debate frequently, I'm a pretty firm believer that a person with a knife has the drop on a person with a gun in extremely close quarters, attention to the situation being equal. I've spent many years as a rifle marksman and pistol competitor and while I appreciate firearms beyond words for many reasons, I've got no interest in a CHL. Personal thing, but no gun or knife is a replacement for head on a swivel!

Joy & Justice
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9985890 05/15/14 02:28 AM
J
Jerrod Carroll Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
In Texas, it is generally illegal to carry a handgun outside of a persons own premises. However, a person may carry, either open or concealed, in a non-threatening or alarming manner, a shotgun or rifle.

However even with a handgun, in Texas, there are several places where a person may possess a handgun legally without the benefit of a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). These places include:
A persons residence or other real property under their control.
A persons private motor vehicle or watercraft if the handgun is concealed, and the person is legal to possess a firearm, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in the commission of a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor traffic or boating violation.
A person engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the persons residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.
While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm

I don't know exactly what they consider to be the type of firearm normally used in fishing but when I'm in my boat I carry a 22 mag revolver or a small rossi single shot 410. The way the law is written it makes it seem like you could open carry a pistol while fishing but I guess it depends on the cops interpretation of the law. In most places open carry of a long gun is legal so you should be good with a small shotgun or rifle when bank fishing.

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Jerrod Carroll] #9985946 05/15/14 02:47 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Where did you get this information?

Originally Posted By: Jerrod Carroll
In Texas, it is generally illegal to carry a handgun outside of a persons own premises. However, a person may carry, either open or concealed, in a non-threatening or alarming manner, a shotgun or rifle.

However even with a handgun, in Texas, there are several places where a person may possess a handgun legally without the benefit of a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). These places include:
A persons residence or other real property under their control.
A persons private motor vehicle or watercraft if the handgun is concealed, and the person is legal to possess a firearm, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in the commission of a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor traffic or boating violation.
A person engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the persons residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.
While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm

I don't know exactly what they consider to be the type of firearm normally used in fishing but when I'm in my boat I carry a 22 mag revolver or a small rossi single shot 410. The way the law is written it makes it seem like you could open carry a pistol while fishing but I guess it depends on the cops interpretation of the law. In most places open carry of a long gun is legal so you should be good with a small shotgun or rifle when bank fishing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9985954 05/15/14 02:49 AM
J
Jerrod Carroll Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
That is copied from texas law shield but it is correct information.

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9986009 05/15/14 03:11 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Thanks. I see that now.

I suppose bass fishing does not qualify as "...commonly used in the activity." Besides, I don't want to shoot the bass anymore than I want to hook a bad guy with a self defense spinnerbait to the chest.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9986028 05/15/14 03:20 AM
J
Jerrod Carroll Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
HB77 section 2 is where it is covered. Its hard to understand exactly what they are talking about since there isn't a certain firearm that would be normally used while fishing. But since they included fishing in the wording of the law I assume that something is legal to carry. my 22 mag and 410 is what I normally use so I guess by the wording that's what I normally use so its legal smirk

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9986722 05/15/14 02:35 PM
T
The reel pro Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
i fish places like that sometimes and i carry mine but then again i carry mine allot no matter what. but really when i got fish my spots on the trinity it more because there is always that possiblity of getting attacked by a bunch of hogs.... there are sooooooo many hogs on the trinity in north GP area is unreal. ive seen prob about 3 bob cats too...

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9988129 05/15/14 09:55 PM
T
thumbhookedagain Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I fish alone quite a bit because my schedule allows me free time during the day. If I'm fishing late evenings or night I almost always have a buddy or two tag along. That said, never really have had a problem with people, few drunks and homeless people. My worst case where I did need to be carrying was because of a rabid dog, I didn't shoot him I pepper sprayed him and he never slowed down just went blind. I jumped in my truck and the dog bit my tire so hard he got stuck on it, I called 911 and animal control tranked him and took him away. Now, if I had not been real close to my truck and that happened in the open, what do you think would have happened if I wasn't prepared. So, go fish those out of the way spots but be ready for anything. Also, always let someone know what your doing or where you're going. Even with protection things can still go bad.

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #9999754 05/20/14 10:18 PM
J
JEFF BAGWELL Offline
Angler
Angler
J
"Also, if you are going to become a CHL holder, make sure to practice. Dont just take the course and walk around with it on your hip."

Probably not a good idea to carry on your hip if you got a CHL...LOL

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: kdub#1] #10184599 08/03/14 03:52 AM
E
emtcorey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: kdub#1
Every self respecting man should be armed.
This x2 and a Med-Kit w/fire starter and Knife as well.

Stay The Course
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #10184662 08/03/14 04:57 AM
S
Scott in Flower Mound Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I grew up in a pretty rough part of Dallas. Learned early how to carry myself in rough neighborhoods and ensure situational awareness when in secluded areas. Now, I'm 350 lbs., and a hair over 6 feet tall, so I don't get messed with much. I won't admit on a public forum if I do, or do not, carry weapons, including firearms, while bank fishing. I can tell you that I bank fish in places that are pretty darned safe (demographics-wise). Like I said, I grew up in a rough part of town, so when I grew up, I swore I'd live in a much safer part of the country. I also fish in the same safer area. Nothing's guaranteed, but I'm feeling really good about the low probability of problems in my heck of the woods.

My biggest worries bank fishing...
-snakes
-poison ivy
-chiggers
-feral hogs
-rabid critters
-wasps
-bull nettles
-too much sun
-ticks
-getting hung up/losing lures
-not getting any bites (from fish)

Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #10184703 08/03/14 06:20 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
More range than pepper spray, cheaper, and more effective--aim for the eyes (and you might need it in some wooden areas anyway):

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10184738 08/03/14 10:06 AM
T
TitanLP2001 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound
I grew up in a pretty rough part of Dallas. Learned early how to carry myself in rough neighborhoods and ensure situational awareness when in secluded areas. Now, I'm 350 lbs., and a hair over 6 feet tall, so I don't get messed with much. I won't admit on a public forum if I do, or do not, carry weapons, including firearms, while bank fishing. I can tell you that I bank fish in places that are pretty darned safe (demographics-wise). Like I said, I grew up in a rough part of town, so when I grew up, I swore I'd live in a much safer part of the country. I also fish in the same safer area. Nothing's guaranteed, but I'm feeling really good about the low probability of problems in my heck of the woods.

My biggest worries bank fishing...
-snakes
-poison ivy
-chiggers
-feral hogs
-rabid critters
-wasps
-bull nettles
-too much sun
-ticks
-getting hung up/losing lures
-not getting any bites (from fish)

6'4" 300 myself, but I still carry a legal pocket knife while fishing, sometimes even bring a hatchet. Someone coming up on me looking for a fight is going to think they stumbled on a barbarian when I stand up lol.

I am a writer, game designer, and an illustrator. Check out my projects. http://www.patreon.com/LucasPuryear
Re: Anyone carry more than tackle while fishing? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #10184791 08/03/14 11:40 AM
S
Scott in Flower Mound Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Lucas, saw your link, and game designer site. Pretty cool. I had a bad 2 year stint with an MMORPG, and realized I really need to stay away from those things, lol. In Dallas too, so let in know of you're ever in the Grapevine lake area. I can show you a pretty good spot up here to fish.

Scott

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide