Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9976832 05/12/14 02:58 AM
BanjoMinnow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In my opinion that is plenty of time for the fishing to go bad. Last may the water was 60.97 ft low, and rose 24 feet from May to November. In my opinion, adding 24 feet of water to a lake that quickly (including the time period you stated) would be plenty of time to scatter the smaller population of fish and decrease the population density of the lake drastically. It seems to be right in line with my earlier opinion on what happened.

Texas Tech Bass Anglers
Wreck 'Em Tech
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9977206 05/12/14 12:27 PM
6BOOMER Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
We'll be pretty close to the historic low again if they don't stop releasing. 1071.98 and getting lower.

Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: 98skeeter202] #9977402 05/12/14 01:57 PM
F
fishnfireman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: 98skeeter202
It sure seems to me the fishing went from very good to very bad from august to November. That's pretty quick for most of the reasons given. Jmo

Some of us were commenting during a couple of early tournaments.. that something was wrong.
We fished a Feb. tournament then another in March. The numbers were less in March plus a lot of the better fish looked bad. It only got worse... sick

Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9979069 05/13/14 12:45 AM
TimeToWreckEM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Mexico has owed the US water for years and durning the last heavy rain Mexico had, they released water from the Mexico side that had a silt to it. I believe the Copper Mines could be the issue and killed nymphs and crawfish. Last year this time I caught a 20# bag and when I got to weigh in all the fish had threw up crawfish in the livewell. This year I have not seen one crawfish in a fishes mouth or the livewell.

Last edited by TimeToWreckEM; 05/13/14 12:48 AM.

Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9980511 05/13/14 02:34 PM
S
spinnerbaitOU812 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Lake Amistad has had its low water levels and its high water levels and they draw water every year. In the last 17 years I have been living in Del Rio and fishing Amistad the water levels, highs and lows and drawdowns have never had an effect on the fishing. when the lake was 58ft low several years ago it was some of the best fishing we have had for numbers. When the grass boomed thats when we had all the big stringers coming in. So its not the water levels and fish live in the water the drought does not bother them we have had droughts in the past and fishing was still good. We still have plenty of water even at 60ft low. The fishing went bad in a matter of a month. Our club went from most of the 20 fishermen catching limits to 5 people weighing in a single fish or 2 fish in June and this continued until last month. There was no perch on the banks and there was no grass or anything growing shallow until last month it just looked dead. What little grass that was in Mexico died off when it should have been growing. Chemicals is the only thing that could make that happen as fast as it did. I am not saying it came from the copper mines but it came from somewhere. Oh and the problem was not from those blood thirsty gar hell bent on destroying just the bass population. Either way what happened hopefully is over and we are starting to see some good fishing again. There was some very nice fish caught this last weekend. The 2 9's and several 7's and 8's were a nice change to see at the weigh-in.

Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: spinnerbaitOU812] #9980557 05/13/14 02:46 PM
RCarter Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: spinnerbaitOU812
Lake Amistad has had its low water levels and its high water levels and they draw water every year. In the last 17 years I have been living in Del Rio and fishing Amistad the water levels, highs and lows and drawdowns have never had an effect on the fishing. when the lake was 58ft low several years ago it was some of the best fishing we have had for numbers. When the grass boomed thats when we had all the big stringers coming in. So its not the water levels and fish live in the water the drought does not bother them we have had droughts in the past and fishing was still good. We still have plenty of water even at 60ft low. The fishing went bad in a matter of a month. Our club went from most of the 20 fishermen catching limits to 5 people weighing in a single fish or 2 fish in June and this continued until last month. There was no perch on the banks and there was no grass or anything growing shallow until last month it just looked dead. What little grass that was in Mexico died off when it should have been growing. Chemicals is the only thing that could make that happen as fast as it did. I am not saying it came from the copper mines but it came from somewhere. Oh and the problem was not from those blood thirsty gar hell bent on destroying just the bass population. Either way what happened hopefully is over and we are starting to see some good fishing again. There was some very nice fish caught this last weekend. The 2 9's and several 7's and 8's were a nice change to see at the weigh-in.

+1....couldn't agree more!

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER!

GOD is Great...BEER is Good...and PEOPLE are CrAZy
billy currington
Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9981626 05/13/14 08:39 PM
B
bass1n Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I spent about 30 min. reading about copper mining and leaching and what I read - its pretty scary about what washed into the lake…

"Sulfuric acid, the leaching agent, is brought on site in large tankers. The sulfuric acid is diluted and sprayed or dripped over oxide ore, which dissolves the oxidized minerals completely in the solution. As the leach solution is reused, the unwanted metals concentrate into a very toxic solution, which sits out in open ponds, waiting to be piped back to be sprayed on fresh ore on the leach pads..."
http://www.savethesantacruzaquifer.info/Sulfuric%20Acid%20Impact.htm

AMD is the mining industry's greatest environmental problem and its greatest liability, especially to our waterways. An acid-generating mine has the potential for long-term, devastating impacts on rivers, streams and aquatic life, becoming in effect a "perpetual pollution machine."7
http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869R/CHEM869RLinks/emcbc.miningwatch.org/emcbc/library/amd_water.htm

Fishing in not a matter of life and death
Its much more serious than that.
Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9981667 05/13/14 08:55 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
While I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something like that eventually happening, the IWBC does conduct continuous water quality monitoring on both Amistad and Falcon, along with the Rio Grande itself. So far they haven't reported anything unusual, at least nothing I could find. I am a past member of the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River Advisory Committee, and we routinely got water quality reports. Those reports also went to TPWD who used them to issue fish consumption advisories. I don't think there are any current advisories for Amistad.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Amistad Poisoned from Mexico? [Re: trogge] #9981749 05/13/14 09:15 PM
T
Todd Ivins Offline
Angler
Angler
T
There are signs everywhere warning about high mercury content, but nothing else. I read a great article in the Texas Observer that showed both the US and Mexico are screwing each other over based on "Treaty Verbage". This goes way back to 1944. Its easy to find if you want to read the details. The Treaty needs to be changed to help both sides (after all, the river only divides countries, not climates) and we must quit using our waters as a waste bucket. My second two cents...

"My Dad taught me how fish relate to structure....he left out how women relate to fishing."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide