Print Thread
Best crappie search lures #9964267 05/07/14 12:37 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
A buddy and I are heading to Texoma this weekend. By the sound of it, we'll be getting there post-spawn or close to it. Might make for some tough catching, especially since neither of us have ever fished crappies south of Iowa. Let me know how this plan of attack works. Thinking they'll be off deeper edges, like 8-15', hunkering on bottom to recoup. If we had a decent sonar I'd look for brush piles, but no such luck. Thinking we'd search these areas with jigs &minnows/twisters or beetle spins. Any other good jigs/lures you guys would recommend that allow a guy to cover some water in deeper stuff? Thanks for any tips!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off

Minnesota native. I might not of been born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
Re: Best crappie search lures [Re: Fishuhalik] #9964279 05/07/14 12:39 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Also, I have the navionics app on my phone so I can find structure, but it sounds like all the lakes around here are waaaay low. Any particular areas we need to watch out for so he doesn't loose a lower unit? Lots of floating/barely submerged timber?
Also, if the crappies aren't cooperating, what's something else that might be going good right now that can provide some action & we can put on the table? Any white bass or sunfish (bream) in there?
Sorry for all the questions, but I like to have as much info as possible when wandering out into the great unknown laugh

Last edited by Fishuhalik; 05/07/14 12:47 AM.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off

Minnesota native. I might not of been born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
Re: Best crappie search lures [Re: Fishuhalik] #9964742 05/07/14 03:44 AM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
There are many, many lures you can try. Hopefully someone who fishes Texoma regularly will chime in or send you some information via private message. You may have read posts here about Constant Pursuit Outfitters, Thump Buddies and little frogs. Maybe you've read about Slab Bandits from Crazy Angler. There's also some mention of the Bobby Garland Baby Shad. I'm a fan of Strike King Crappie Thunder jigs.

All are minnow/shad imitators. Any of them or any other that you prefer will work for you. But I believe that the key to your question is a lure that will help you cover water. It is difficult to fish structure with a moving bait in 15 FOW. Be prepared to lose several lures when attempting this. This is why I believe most crappie anglers use a slow vertical presentation. For a moving bait, I typically cast a 1/16 oz Road Runnner with a Crappie Thunder body attached. I let it drop to the bottom and bump it along the structure (losing many jigs while doing so) while searching for crappe in new waters. Some guys even use crank baits.

Yes, there are bream and white bass and striped bass in Texoma. I like to throw the Creme Lure Lit'l Fishie at them in both 1.5" and 2.5" sizes. Used to be that the local bait shop was the best place to get information about what's been biting, where and what they're biting on. Nowadays good bait shops are fewer and further between. Bobcat1 knows Texoma very well, hopefully he or someone else can point you in the right direction.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!

Re: Best crappie search lures [Re: Fishuhalik] #9969469 05/08/14 08:48 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
second on the road runner thumb
fish the channel edges
its a search and destroy lure ...
long casts ,sinks quick ,,,,
lots a action with a relatively slow speed