Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9929483 04/23/14 01:22 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
http://www.tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_l2000_0014.pdf

Read the law and understand it. Start on page 31.

Bridges are no wake zones only when marked. However, there are other provisions that you can be cited for. Like operating a boat in an "unsafe manner". You run parallel to the bridges on Fork, throw a big wake and bang someone's boat against the pilings, the GW can and SHOULD issue you a ticket if he witnesses it. All of these questions can be answered by reading the Texas Water Safety Act. Don't ask others, learn it for yourself.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9929533 04/23/14 01:41 PM
Lowly Net Boy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'm not picking on Will or anybody else but it amazes me somethimes on the posts we get here
come on guys....... really.....""Whats the difference between running WOT in a timber lined boat lane/channel vs WOT under a bridge???"

I tell what I'll make a deal with u, u post what lakes your gonna be on during the week and I will make sure
I go somewhere else

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9929701 04/23/14 02:23 PM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I'm referring to marked boat lanes where the trees are pretty far from the marked lane (buoys or telephone poles) - there are more narrow lanes that have trees on both sides that I would not feel comfortable doing anything other than idling. Just my take from being on big lakes this year in a full size boat, some people are just crazy and rude, either at the ramps or on the water. But not everyone, however like anything else, those bad apples are the ones all the other boaters (crappie fisherman, catfish fishing, recreational, etc) remember and put everyone that is bass fishing in a modern bass boat all in the same category.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9929741 04/23/14 02:37 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
I have mostly fished from small buster type boats and Jon boats etc. and I would much rather have you fly by me on pad or no wake at all then somewhere in between. I will say from lots of experience in the small boat, the difference in the wake between WOT properly trimmed on pad and no wake is not much different. It is the guy in the tri hull or that thinks he is doing you a favor going by slow but with the bow of the boat way up in the air that will kill somebody! I think the bridge thing has more to do with not being able to see the traffic on the other side than throwing crappie guys out of their boats. Main thing is be smart and courteous and you won't get tickets and you won't make others mad.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9929878 04/23/14 03:16 PM
W
WormDudeMike Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
If you think about Lake Fork it is probably a pretty good law. Many of the main bridges are like 4-way intersections. People are running parallel to the bridge as well as crossing underneath them.

Can you imagine if it wasn't required to idle under teh bridge during one of the big tournaments like McDonalds or Skeeter owners?

It would be like the intersection of Loop 323 and Broadway way in tyler with no stoplights.

It's a good law IMHO.

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Rayzor] #9929937 04/23/14 03:33 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
I believe a guy was killed on Fork by a wake under the 515 bridge.

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: bigcat85] #9930430 04/23/14 06:17 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: bigcat85
the law in texas is it has to be posted to be no wake. oklahoma is no wake under all bridges.

What about Texoma? You'll see OK boats come off plane, and TX boats blast right under the RR tressle or the Roosevelt. I called the Oklahoma Parks and Wildlife and asked that question. They said to call the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety. Neither one could give me an answer. So, since I got TX numbers...hammer down.

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: fouzman] #9930464 04/23/14 06:24 PM
D
Deputy T Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: fouzman

Bridges are no wake zones only when marked. However, there are other provisions that you can be cited for. Like operating a boat in an "unsafe manner". You run parallel to the bridges on Fork, throw a big wake and bang someone's boat against the pilings, the GW can and SHOULD issue you a ticket if he witnesses it. All of these questions can be answered by reading the Texas Water Safety Act. Don't ask others, learn it for yourself.

Exactly sir

In God we trust, All others I run through TCIC/NCIC
Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: furim2] #9930622 04/23/14 07:03 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted By: furim2
Originally Posted By: bigcat85
the law in texas is it has to be posted to be no wake. oklahoma is no wake under all bridges.

What about Texoma? You'll see OK boats come off plane, and TX boats blast right under the RR tressle or the Roosevelt. I called the Oklahoma Parks and Wildlife and asked that question. They said to call the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety. Neither one could give me an answer. So, since I got TX numbers...hammer down.

the only lakes in OKIELAND that I know of that are no wake are run by the grda (grand river dam authority). grew up there and just lived there another 14 yrs before moving here.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Deputy T] #9930807 04/23/14 07:56 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Deputy T

Exactly sir

I shared a place at Fork for 10 years during the period where there were no signs and common practice to go on pad thru the bridges and did it many times myself as did everyone else. Once the signs went up always no wake. I sometimes crappie fished under the 154 bridge and did not mind them on pad as long as they were at least a couple pilings away from us.

I do think the no wake deal is best for safety all the way around but I kind of doubt many tickets have been written for going parallel to the bridge. Not saying they should or should not just saying doubt it happens very often. Where would you draw the line on how far away you can parallel the bridge?

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9931131 04/23/14 09:25 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
WormDudeMike hit the nail on the head. Bridges are used as intersections on many lakes and not just Fork. The pilings can cause blinds spots at certain angles and that equals a train wreck. Safety over WOT and risking someone's life.

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9931417 04/23/14 11:14 PM
W
Will.i.am Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W

Originally Posted By: Yeaitsme
I'm not picking on Will or anybody else but it amazes me somethimes on the posts we get here
come on guys....... really.....""Whats the difference between running WOT in a timber lined boat lane/channel vs WOT under a bridge???"

I tell what I'll make a deal with u, u post what lakes your gonna be on during the week and I will make sure
I go somewhere else

My point behind this post is to show that there really isn't a difference in either situation both are dangerous!!! Ask Gerald swindle, ask the guys that constantly crash running the reeds on okeechobee, the wake board boats that I see everyone complaining about or the many post on here about the guys on fork apologizing for being in a hurry. I mean this is a discussion forum where things are talked about and knowledge is shared other than just bragging on how good of a fisherman we all are.

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9931436 04/23/14 11:19 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
if you look at the bridges on fork and realize that at full pool you really don't have room to run on pad in most places then it makes sense from that aspect, blind spots are another.

there is nothing on this planet worth injuring or killing someone just for a few hrs of fun and relaxation.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Will.i.am] #9931446 04/23/14 11:21 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My only comment is runing under the 515 bridges at Fork present no blind spots if your running the appropriate boat lane. From what I have heard some dumb kids hit the bridge while drink a while ago and TPWD made them idle only. I will always idle bridges in low light or dark conditions but regularly I don't see why it's a law

Re: bridges and no wake zone [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #9931517 04/23/14 11:43 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
My only comment is runing under the 515 bridges at Fork present no blind spots if your running the appropriate boat lane. From what I have heard some dumb kids hit the bridge while drink a while ago and TPWD made them idle only. I will always idle bridges in low light or dark conditions but regularly I don't see why it's a law

Because a percentage of our population is so stupid that laws have to be made to protect them from harming others and themselves.

#MFGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide