Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9892959 04/09/14 01:33 AM
B
billclay Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
They are sucessful because they put in the time and effort. Sure they have cool gear, but that doesn't always help them catch fish. Check out of the bootom of the leaderboard. A lot of those guys have cool boats, huge graphs, and lots of baits. These guys are great competitors, but it's not easy, and there is no guarantee that they will be successful.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9893166 04/09/14 02:33 AM
B
bassaholic00 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
The difference in the elite and the amature fisherman is simple....
The amature fisherman is surprised when he catches a fish....
The elite fisherman expects to catch a fish!

Re: How do they do it? [Re: bassaholic00] #9893310 04/09/14 03:23 AM
petro Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Its table rock. I usedd to spend a week there every april. Let me tell you 50-100 fish is pretty common. They are everywhere and you can see most of them.

Re: How do they do it? [Re: petro] #9893454 04/09/14 05:38 AM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: petro
Its table rock. I usedd to spend a week there every april. Let me tell you 50-100 fish is pretty common. They are everywhere and you can see most of them.

I've been waiting to see someone post that. I concur. Table Rock in April the two times I've been have been amazing. Green Phantom Original Wiggle Wart, 6-10' gravel sloping points, and sharp dropping banks in the backs of deep cuts. But..... if you don't have wind, you are going to have a hard time, at least I did.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9893466 04/09/14 06:24 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
You have to have confidence to catch fish...you might seem confident to others, but the fish know when you don't have it. rolfmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: How do they do it? [Re: lconn4] #9893477 04/09/14 07:18 AM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: lconn4
You have to have confidence to catch fish...you might seem confident to others, but the fish know when you don't have it. rolfmao

You nailed that one Iconn. In my opinion, if you're not expecting a bite on each cast, you need to be changing things up. If you're not "feelin' it", you better be moving or changing baits. "Feelin it" comes from past sucessess in similar situations and also just your gut sometimes.

I read an article by I think KVD a while back where he talked about that exactly. He said something to the effect that every cast he makes to cover, before he makes the cast, he's already playing out in his mind how he's going to get a big fish out of the cover and into the boat. THAT'S confidence.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9893602 04/09/14 11:44 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Fishing is indeed a sport. Like any sport, the more you practice the better you get. One thing I've noticed of those elite anglers is the "mental" part of the sport. They're constantly thinking about what they can do to get the fish to bite while fishing. Tweaking lures, down sizing, up sizing, color, flash, speed, action, depth, etc, etc. wink

Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9894085 04/09/14 02:58 PM
B
bc4393 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I think more specifically TOW equates to be able to recognize the pattern. There are so many variables with weather, time of day/year, lake topography. If you can't calculate all that together to a winning pattern right at that point in time, you aren't going to catch the quality/quantity of fish. To me a large portion of the battle is finding them (fish finder can fix that I suppose) the other half is figuring out their mood and what they'd be hungry for an how to present it to them. If your throwing the right bait into deserted water it's going to be a slow day. smile

Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9927873 04/22/14 09:28 PM
newbiefisher Offline
Angler
Angler
You guys don't know? It's simple. Just buy all the high dollar products they push in every video and you will catch fish just like them.

How come I keep catching small fish when every product I buy is supposed to catch more and bigger fish?
Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9928787 04/23/14 02:42 AM
R
roblo101 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
For a guy to go to different lakes at different times of the year, look, ride around
an then find the fish's patterns. And hauls in fish after fish, my hats off to them.
Pro or not, like said before, if you work at a trade you enjoy, an do if everyday
for years. Yes, you will master that craft
Just wish I could fish all the time instead of cutting chips in a machine shop, lol

Skeeter/Yamaha and Love to feel something on the other end!! Lol
Re: How do they do it? [Re: redskeeter190] #9930308 04/23/14 05:41 PM
slshaneus Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: redskeeter190
If most of the guys here could spend 300 days a year on the water and have someone pay them to do it.....I'd bet just about everyone could at least compete with the "Elite" guys....as with anything...baseball, basketball, football....basketweaving...it takes tons of dedication, studying and most of all...PRACTICE...

FALSE! there is so much more involved in baseball, basketball, football. sports vs fishing is not a good analogy. you have to be a physical specimen to start with and work hard and have god given talent. pro guys come in all shapes and sizes on the bass / flw tour which we could all maybe compete in fishing.... lol have you ever met a nfl linebacker?

Re: How do they do it? [Re: slshaneus] #9930920 04/23/14 08:27 PM
B
bassdude10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: slshaneus
If most of the guys here could spend 300 days a year on the water and have someone pay them to do it.....I'd bet just about everyone could at least compete with the "Elite" guys....as with anything...baseball, basketball, football....basketweaving...it takes tons of dedication, studying and most of all...PRACTICE...

FALSE! there is so much more involved in baseball, basketball, football. sports vs fishing is not a good analogy. you have to be a physical specimen to start with and work hard and have god given talent. pro guys come in all shapes and sizes on the bass / flw tour which we could all maybe compete in fishing.... lol have you ever met a nfl linebacker?

You don't think KVD has God given talent? Fishing is a sport...

Re: How do they do it? [Re: bassdude10] #9934587 04/25/14 12:12 AM
beeflover Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: bassdude10
Originally Posted By: slshaneus

You don't think KVD has God given talent? Fishing is a sport...

You think Mark Davis is not a physical specimen? Are you kidding me? God given talent is right! Do the math, if there's a million bass fisherman and your in the upper 90 percent that still leaves 100,000 bass fisherman better than you and the Elites are all in the top 3-400 of them. That may be longer odds than making it in pro football.

You know a lot of these guys would be fishing even if they were not pros. I don't think anyone is more dedicated to their sport. Brauer or Davis all the guides that have moved into pro fishing how many football players would be doing that if not for the money.

Hat's off to these guys.

Last edited by beeflover; 04/25/14 12:14 AM.
Re: How do they do it? [Re: Ride-or-Fish ] #9934947 04/25/14 02:35 AM
D
DWinn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Ride-or-Fish
Reading the live blog for the elites on table rock, a question came to mind. They say Mark Davis has had a slower day today, with only about 50 fish. Thursday and Friday he had around 100 fish, each day. Granted, they were not all keepers or fish that would help his bag.. But my goodness that's a ton of fish! Imagine just going for a day of fun fishing.. 50 would be pretty dang awesome!

Obviously, the elites are a cut above the rest. Hence the title, I'd say. Combine that with the quality of fisheries they compete on, and I suppose there's my answer..

Still boggles the mind.. How do they do it!? Having had the opportunity to fish with some guides, and other exceptional anglers, I find myself asking the same of them. Are they (y'all) just born with some 6th sense about knowing when you get bit? How do YOU do it?

The elite guys are simply awesome. Not sure I could imagine catching 300-400 fish in 4 days.

I'd consider myself a man that loves to bass fish and has been doing it for 30 years. At one time I owned a bass boat and worked in a tackle store but even then I was lucky to fish once a week. I fished a few basschamps back when the south texas lakes were peaking. I was lucky to fish all three before they were nationally exposed, while they were peaking so I've seen some unbelievable fishing. Along the way I've met a few pro's, competed against some local legends, and befriended some pretty damn good dudes. One of these guys guided for some years primarily on Choke Canyon. We spent a significant amount of time fishing together and he put me on some of the best bass fishing I've ever experienced, 3 times catching over 50 in a trip. I always respected how much more proficient he was casting especially in the wind and I thought I was pretty good, Not to mention his experience and instincts for finding schools of fish, Sometimes his light bill depended on it. You'd be surprised what is possible when things line up and you're in the right place at the right time after you've put in Time On the Water. I can easily see how a pro can catch 100 fish in a day on some of the nations best fisheries. With the equipment and experience they have I would expect it to happen atleast every now and then. jmtc

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide