Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9888624 04/07/14 04:32 PM
B
Bfuller79 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks everyone for the responses and advice! It is all greatly appreciated!

Romans 5:8
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9888666 04/07/14 04:48 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Go study law or medicine, you won't need sponsors to fish! My point being, I've spent in excess of 6 figures fishing early after college graduation over the last 12 years, I wish I'd of continued with a post college education and waited till my mid-thirties to spend that kind of money!

Last edited by InTheClear; 04/07/14 07:32 PM.
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9888743 04/07/14 05:18 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Right now for you, due to your age....I'd start by looking at some of your home town's businesses, ie...Dairy Queen...Sonic...McDonald's....maybe a local ma and pa tackle shop...landscaping business...etc....tell them your story...let them know you'll mention their business everytime you get the chance during weigh-ins....if possible put their logos on your fishing jersy or truck...do some advertising for them...You've got to sell yourself....now days people REALLY like to help young men/women who are trying to get into fishing...it's the only way to keep the sport alive....I hope this helps.....good luck.....

Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9889442 04/07/14 10:09 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I would recommend you asking the companies you are wanting to sponsor you if you could do an Internship with them. Tell them you want to learn their business and how it applies to fishing. Show them who you are and what you can bring to them. As someone has already said in todays economy the only thing a business cares about is Return on Investment. If you are serious about making a career in fishing go to college and major in marketing. Catching bass and winning tournaments will bring you a lot of sponsors, but being good at marketing their product and being a "People" person will keep the sponsors long after the catching has died off.

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9889514 04/07/14 10:37 PM
D
Darrel Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
First...focus on school. But as far as fishing goes...just concentrate on improving, learning as much as you can about as many lakes as you can, and finishing as high as you can in tournaments. The rest will take care of itself...the sponsors will find you. Good luck young man!

Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9889856 04/08/14 12:52 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Maybe consider competing in the local or regional kayak bass tournaments. $3000 cash prize for first place on the one held this past weekend on Broken Bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-AM3dFezrc

And here is one of the better local trails for Austin area or DFW anglers.

http://capitalcitykayakfishing.com/

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Legend on Richland-Chambers] #9889962 04/08/14 01:21 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Legend on Richland-Chambers
Stay away from women ! They take your fishing $ and cut into your fishing time! Don't let anyone tell you something cant be done , anything is possible if you put your mind to it. You will need to go to college and get you a good job so you can afford to fish . You need to get into a career that pays well and you get weekends off. But that's easier said than done but at least it will give you something to think about. Good luck ....maybe I will donate you some $ if we ever fish against each other in a tournament....LOL
Best advice yet, got married and had kids back in the 90's. That sank my chance at making it. Love my wife and kids and I'd still do it all again.......I'd like to add just because I have been down that road, I actually got to here Rick Clunn speak about this years ago and have talked to a few pros about making it as well, so here goes this is what you need to do and don't let go of your dreams no matter what. If you stay focused it will happen:
Save your money and enter as an amateur in any major pro/am style tournament. Walmart BFL, Bassmaster Open, FLW, etc. don't worry to much about winning but soak up the knowledge like a sponge. Next acquire your self a bass boat of some sort,a 17 foot starter rig used and equipped as best you can afford and practice as much as you can. Work toward acquiring that career that will allow you to afford this sport. I became an industrial mechanic back in the early 80's, if you get the right spot you can make close to a 6 figure income doing this if not better. Sell the 17 foot rig after it is paid for and move up to something a little bigger and better, repeat this process until you are in the rig that makes you feel you are competitive. At this point is where the rubber meets the road. Go back and enter the same Pro/Ams you fished before but this time as a pro. Don't try to win just focus on trying to bring a limit to the scales every day. Try to finish in the top 25 regularly and this will get you noticed, getting you noticed will get you sponsors. Sponsors will pay your bills not tournament winnings. Most guys spend far more money than they win unless they win The Classic or an FLW Championship. At some point go to a junior college and take a public speaking course and anything that will help you in Public Relations.....my two cents

Last edited by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50); 04/08/14 01:22 AM.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9890055 04/08/14 01:48 AM
BanjoMinnow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I forgot to add that when you go to college, don't choose your major or classes based on fishing or how much free time it gives you to fish because you will regret it. No matter how much you love fishing every chance you get, you are in college to get your degree first then fill in your free time with fishing if that's what you choose. You can choose one of the hardest majors that school offers (literally) and if you use your time right I promise you will still have time to fish. I say this from experience. I have many friends that go to school for 4 or 5 years to get a degree they don't really care about, just so they can fish all the time, then they graduate and realize collegiate fishing doesn't last forever and a low end job doesn't pay for a $70K rig and they wish they could do it all over again. I am going to graduate next year with two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering and a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, and I promise you I still fished more than most people on this forum. I have been on the road fishing 7 of the last 8 weekends, and I'll be gone the next 4 weekends also. It's all about how much work you are willing to put in. Then graduate, buy all the nicest stuff, and fish every weekend. Hope this helps.

Texas Tech Bass Anglers
Wreck 'Em Tech
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #9890075 04/08/14 01:55 AM
T
thirstyswimmer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Originally Posted By: Legend on Richland-Chambers
Stay away from women ! They take your fishing $ and cut into your fishing time! Don't let anyone tell you something cant be done , anything is possible if you put your mind to it. You will need to go to college and get you a good job so you can afford to fish . You need to get into a career that pays well and you get weekends off. But that's easier said than done but at least it will give you something to think about. Good luck ....maybe I will donate you some $ if we ever fish against each other in a tournament....LOL
Best advice yet, got married and had kids back in the 90's. That sank my chance at making it. Love my wife and kids and I'd still do it all again.......I'd like to add just because I have been down that road, I actually got to here Rick Clunn speak about this years ago and have talked to a few pros about making it as well, so here goes this is what you need to do and don't let go of your dreams no matter what. If you stay focused it will happen:
Save your money and enter as an amateur in any major pro/am style tournament. Walmart BFL, Bassmaster Open, FLW, etc. don't worry to much about winning but soak up the knowledge like a sponge. Next acquire your self a bass boat of some sort,a 17 foot starter rig used and equipped as best you can afford and practice as much as you can. Work toward acquiring that career that will allow you to afford this sport. I became an industrial mechanic back in the early 80's, if you get the right spot you can make close to a 6 figure income doing this if not better. Sell the 17 foot rig after it is paid for and move up to something a little bigger and better, repeat this process until you are in the rig that makes you feel you are competitive. At this point is where the rubber meets the road. Go back and enter the same Pro/Ams you fished before but this time as a pro. Don't try to win just focus on trying to bring a limit to the scales every day. Try to finish in the top 25 regularly and this will get you noticed, getting you noticed will get you sponsors. Sponsors will pay your bills not tournament winnings. Most guys spend far more money than they win unless they win The Classic or an FLW Championship. At some point go to a junior college and take a public speaking course and anything that will help you in Public Relations.....my two cents

I THINK that this man has it figured out. It's the same as in just about any industry. You will start low, and work your way to the top with cunning and decisive moves. After getting noticed, and your first real sponsor begins shuckin money your direction people will talk. In this industry, as well as most others, people will talk and spread your name to places you can't imagine... As long as you produce something to talk about.

If you keep with it, and get your degree (DO GET A DEGREE), with the right people watching you could be doing this for a job.

Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9890220 04/08/14 02:28 AM
N
Netty2424 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Something to keep in mind, I don't know exaclty how fishing teams are governed in regards to collegiate sports, but in other collegiate sports, i.e. Basketball, football, baseball, etc if you are sponsored and take money and/or free goods in exchange for service, you may remove yourself from receiving any scholarships because you would be considered a paid professional, deeming yourself intelligible to compete.

Again, I don't know about fishing, but something worth looking into.

Jackson Cuda 12, FF Elite 4
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9890431 04/08/14 03:50 AM
B
Bfuller79 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Really awesome advice from some of you guys! This is why I love the TFF!!

Romans 5:8
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9890441 04/08/14 03:54 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
As with anything in life, work hard, be humble and give 110% all the time and the ones that need to notice will notice.

Tr to stay away from being a self promoting "pro".

Hard work, humility and patients are keys to success.

#MFGA
Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9890500 04/08/14 04:39 AM
X
xanadu Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
X
I was reading a book a while back and somebody said that they want to come to America and have a big house and expensive car. They want to "have" instead of "earn the money to buy".

I've never been sponsored in fishing but I was sponsored in another sport and the one thing that I learned is that you need to worry about fishing now and sponsors later. It seems cold but let's just say that 1000 people in each state want to be sponsored by company x. That's 50,000 people that want their backing. What do YOU bring with the deal that puts you ahead of thousands of others? How many tournies have you placed in the top 10? Some people get backing because of their image but you really have to be unique for that one. Even Skeet Reese and Icanelli can back their image with great fishing. As you build a resume then the sponsors will look at you, but you have to put in the work first. No free rides in the sponsor world. If you are a good salesman then start a youtube channel and build it up. Show don't tell. That seems like the best way these days to get known and respected.

Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Bfuller79] #9891064 04/08/14 02:03 PM
T
trogge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
A family member or close friend that owns a business is how 90% of sponsorships that I've seen happen. Networking. Who you know is vastly more important from what I've seen vs what you know. Get a job in sales. Sales exists in every interaction we have with other people. It is the foundation of success in this world.

Most likely even if you're good and placing well consistently in tournaments, you will not get any real sponsorship in bass fishing. Get a job to play. And if you're good enough your winnings will at least pay for your pashion. And if it's truly meant to be you make it to the big show some day. Don't buy your way in. Qualify.

I like what one guy said about don't become a self promoting "pro". There are enough posers out there as it is.

Re: Getting sponsored [Re: Netty2424] #9891552 04/08/14 04:38 PM
BanjoMinnow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Netty2424
Something to keep in mind, I don't know exaclty how fishing teams are governed in regards to collegiate sports, but in other collegiate sports, i.e. Basketball, football, baseball, etc if you are sponsored and take money and/or free goods in exchange for service, you may remove yourself from receiving any scholarships because you would be considered a paid professional, deeming yourself intelligible to compete.

Again, I don't know about fishing, but something worth looking into.

Collegiate fishing doesn't fall under this category because we are not sanctioned by the NCAA. Actually almost every team has atleast a few product sponsors, and most of the collegiate tournaments give away cash prizes for the top teams. Good post though, as I'm sure many people probably had the same question.

Texas Tech Bass Anglers
Wreck 'Em Tech
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide