Texas Fishing Forum

Getting sponsored

Posted By: Bfuller79

Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:28 AM

I know that most of the bigger name pros and even local tournament anglers do a pretty awesome job acquiring sponsorships, can anybody give me some tips on getting on with some bigger name brands? I've been on with a couple smaller sponsors for about two years now, don't get me wrong they have been great, but I am looking for one or more that can really help me out financially, while in return I help them sell products or promote exclusively. I have been facing some pretty tough financial problems and could really use the help! Here is a little background, I am only 17 years old, I know that's young but I have had my fair share of tournament hours and have been to nationals twice already, representing Texas. I'm also a decent salesman, I even plan on majoring in marketing in college! If anyone out there can refer me to someone, or is with a company and is willing to help a young angler trying to pursue his dream out, I would really appreciate a message from you or you can email me at doubleb51@gmail.com Thanks for your time!!
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:37 AM

Sounds like from what you said your doing everything right. I'm absolutely NO expert though.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:41 AM

Yeah I just want to work in the industry! I know fishing is obviously a big part but I once read, "its not about how good you can work a zara spook, its about how good you can sell one!"
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Bfuller79
"its not about how good you can work a zara spook, its about how good you can sell one!"

That is one of the best statements I have read on the TFF in a long time!
Posted By: The Netstretcher

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:51 AM

At 17, I would get a job to fund your fishing instead of trying to get someone to fund it for you.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:57 AM

I actually have a job but that money is what I'm paying off my truck with and it also goes to gas.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:58 AM

Have you thought about joining your high school (and then collegiate) fishing team, that's probably the best place to start your quest. Sponsor money at 17 might be a little bit of a reach.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 03:04 AM

yes sir, I am on my high school right now, and I plan to fish at the collegiate level when I graduate.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 03:04 AM

high school team**
Posted By: trogge

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 02:56 PM

Approach sponsorship from a different approach than most. Look at it as a simply a supplemental part time job. A lot of sponsorships there is a back story like Dad owns the company, or fisherman owns the company, or they aren't really getting anything at all from a company and just want to look legit.

Find a company that could grow into something. Don't ask for much to start, let them know you are more interested in proving your worth to them first. If you find a company to agree and maybe throw you $250-500 to start, then work with them to give them as much for their dollar as possible. If you can truly demonstrate how they gave you money and you made them more, then you can move to the next step in that relationship. A company doesn't care about anything other than their return on investment. Anglers have been trying to BS companies for decades on the marketing value of sponsoring them to fish. When you win large events, the Bassmaster Classic, or Elite Angler of the Year, then you are a marketing billboard. Until then you need to forget about the supposed marketing value of them putting their brand on you and look at it primarily as a part time job and you are a marketer/salesman. Make sure whatever you do you can track the results of your efforts. The sponsor needs to know and be able to measure how much they can reasonable pay you for the addl profits you can funnel their way.

Good luck.
Posted By: Todd Ivins

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 03:22 PM

I have a friend who was on the skeeter team, he was given a boat to fish out of and his tournament fees paid. They really didn't care what place he finished cause his "job" was to have that boat showcased at the registration and weigh ins. each year they gave him a new boat to use and the other was sold as a demo. He got to keep any tourney monies he earned. That's about the extent of it at our level. Good luck, pinch pennies.
Posted By: Zach Attack!

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 03:26 PM

PM sent
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 03:53 PM

No one should bother helping u out financially if you are a high school fisherman. Most won't even help college anglers unless u are a heck of a stick and an really market products good. Heck allot of crazy good local and regional sticks don't get helped out financially by company's to push their products. I'm 20 and have been in ur spot before thinking and dreaming about big time sponsored and fancy boats. But in reality don't worry about that stupid stuff. Go fishing with ur friends, save for a truck, get a job, maybe get a girl friend don't waste ur time with big sponsors till u start finishing high in bigger tournaments consistently. College will open allot of doors for u. Right now worry about actually learning everything u can about bass and how they respond to certain conditions study maps read TFF post and magazines and even books.sponsors will come to u eventually but u have to get good and great before people even will care to do anything more than throw u a small discount on hooks or plastics worms. Not trying to put u down or bash what u want to do just speaking from personal experience. Work on making good relationships with older fishermen and fishing company reps and dealers. Do this without asking for anything. Relationships are everything in this industry is about who u know and weather or not they like u. Fish hard and make
Friends show that u want to always get better and show older fishermen and reps you know ur stuff. Good luck
Posted By: Legend on Richland-Chambers

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 04:10 PM

Stay away from women ! They take your fishing $ and cut into your fishing time! Dont let anyone tell you something cant be done , anything is possible if you put your mind to it. You will need to go to college and get you a good job so you can afford to fish . You need to get into a career that pays well and you get weekends off. But thats easier said than done but atleast it will give you something to think about. Good luck ....maybe i will donate you some $ if we ever fish against each other in a tournament....LOL
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 04:29 PM

You might have better luck trying to talk to a family friend that owns a business if you are looking for a monetary sponsorship. Most collegiate teams are not funded by the school so it is all out of pocket, but I believe there are a few schools that help with expenses. And I'm not sure if you have a boat or not, but maybe even pick up a few extra hours a week at work and start saving for a boat. In collegiate fishing we don't have boat captains or donated boats to use, so every team has to provide their own boat. I only know of one school that has boats provided for them, but I don't know the details of how that works for them. Good luck.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice! It is all greatly appreciated!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 04:48 PM

Go study law or medicine, you won't need sponsors to fish! My point being, I've spent in excess of 6 figures fishing early after college graduation over the last 12 years, I wish I'd of continued with a post college education and waited till my mid-thirties to spend that kind of money!
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 05:18 PM

Right now for you, due to your age....I'd start by looking at some of your home town's businesses, ie...Dairy Queen...Sonic...McDonald's....maybe a local ma and pa tackle shop...landscaping business...etc....tell them your story...let them know you'll mention their business everytime you get the chance during weigh-ins....if possible put their logos on your fishing jersy or truck...do some advertising for them...You've got to sell yourself....now days people REALLY like to help young men/women who are trying to get into fishing...it's the only way to keep the sport alive....I hope this helps.....good luck.....
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 10:09 PM

I would recommend you asking the companies you are wanting to sponsor you if you could do an Internship with them. Tell them you want to learn their business and how it applies to fishing. Show them who you are and what you can bring to them. As someone has already said in todays economy the only thing a business cares about is Return on Investment. If you are serious about making a career in fishing go to college and major in marketing. Catching bass and winning tournaments will bring you a lot of sponsors, but being good at marketing their product and being a "People" person will keep the sponsors long after the catching has died off.
Posted By: Darrel

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/07/14 10:37 PM

First...focus on school. But as far as fishing goes...just concentrate on improving, learning as much as you can about as many lakes as you can, and finishing as high as you can in tournaments. The rest will take care of itself...the sponsors will find you. Good luck young man!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 12:52 AM

Maybe consider competing in the local or regional kayak bass tournaments. $3000 cash prize for first place on the one held this past weekend on Broken Bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-AM3dFezrc

And here is one of the better local trails for Austin area or DFW anglers.

http://capitalcitykayakfishing.com/
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Legend on Richland-Chambers
Stay away from women ! They take your fishing $ and cut into your fishing time! Don't let anyone tell you something cant be done , anything is possible if you put your mind to it. You will need to go to college and get you a good job so you can afford to fish . You need to get into a career that pays well and you get weekends off. But that's easier said than done but at least it will give you something to think about. Good luck ....maybe I will donate you some $ if we ever fish against each other in a tournament....LOL
Best advice yet, got married and had kids back in the 90's. That sank my chance at making it. Love my wife and kids and I'd still do it all again.......I'd like to add just because I have been down that road, I actually got to here Rick Clunn speak about this years ago and have talked to a few pros about making it as well, so here goes this is what you need to do and don't let go of your dreams no matter what. If you stay focused it will happen:
Save your money and enter as an amateur in any major pro/am style tournament. Walmart BFL, Bassmaster Open, FLW, etc. don't worry to much about winning but soak up the knowledge like a sponge. Next acquire your self a bass boat of some sort,a 17 foot starter rig used and equipped as best you can afford and practice as much as you can. Work toward acquiring that career that will allow you to afford this sport. I became an industrial mechanic back in the early 80's, if you get the right spot you can make close to a 6 figure income doing this if not better. Sell the 17 foot rig after it is paid for and move up to something a little bigger and better, repeat this process until you are in the rig that makes you feel you are competitive. At this point is where the rubber meets the road. Go back and enter the same Pro/Ams you fished before but this time as a pro. Don't try to win just focus on trying to bring a limit to the scales every day. Try to finish in the top 25 regularly and this will get you noticed, getting you noticed will get you sponsors. Sponsors will pay your bills not tournament winnings. Most guys spend far more money than they win unless they win The Classic or an FLW Championship. At some point go to a junior college and take a public speaking course and anything that will help you in Public Relations.....my two cents

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 01:48 AM

I forgot to add that when you go to college, don't choose your major or classes based on fishing or how much free time it gives you to fish because you will regret it. No matter how much you love fishing every chance you get, you are in college to get your degree first then fill in your free time with fishing if that's what you choose. You can choose one of the hardest majors that school offers (literally) and if you use your time right I promise you will still have time to fish. I say this from experience. I have many friends that go to school for 4 or 5 years to get a degree they don't really care about, just so they can fish all the time, then they graduate and realize collegiate fishing doesn't last forever and a low end job doesn't pay for a $70K rig and they wish they could do it all over again. I am going to graduate next year with two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering and a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, and I promise you I still fished more than most people on this forum. I have been on the road fishing 7 of the last 8 weekends, and I'll be gone the next 4 weekends also. It's all about how much work you are willing to put in. Then graduate, buy all the nicest stuff, and fish every weekend. Hope this helps.
Posted By: thirstyswimmer

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Originally Posted By: Legend on Richland-Chambers
Stay away from women ! They take your fishing $ and cut into your fishing time! Don't let anyone tell you something cant be done , anything is possible if you put your mind to it. You will need to go to college and get you a good job so you can afford to fish . You need to get into a career that pays well and you get weekends off. But that's easier said than done but at least it will give you something to think about. Good luck ....maybe I will donate you some $ if we ever fish against each other in a tournament....LOL
Best advice yet, got married and had kids back in the 90's. That sank my chance at making it. Love my wife and kids and I'd still do it all again.......I'd like to add just because I have been down that road, I actually got to here Rick Clunn speak about this years ago and have talked to a few pros about making it as well, so here goes this is what you need to do and don't let go of your dreams no matter what. If you stay focused it will happen:
Save your money and enter as an amateur in any major pro/am style tournament. Walmart BFL, Bassmaster Open, FLW, etc. don't worry to much about winning but soak up the knowledge like a sponge. Next acquire your self a bass boat of some sort,a 17 foot starter rig used and equipped as best you can afford and practice as much as you can. Work toward acquiring that career that will allow you to afford this sport. I became an industrial mechanic back in the early 80's, if you get the right spot you can make close to a 6 figure income doing this if not better. Sell the 17 foot rig after it is paid for and move up to something a little bigger and better, repeat this process until you are in the rig that makes you feel you are competitive. At this point is where the rubber meets the road. Go back and enter the same Pro/Ams you fished before but this time as a pro. Don't try to win just focus on trying to bring a limit to the scales every day. Try to finish in the top 25 regularly and this will get you noticed, getting you noticed will get you sponsors. Sponsors will pay your bills not tournament winnings. Most guys spend far more money than they win unless they win The Classic or an FLW Championship. At some point go to a junior college and take a public speaking course and anything that will help you in Public Relations.....my two cents

I THINK that this man has it figured out. It's the same as in just about any industry. You will start low, and work your way to the top with cunning and decisive moves. After getting noticed, and your first real sponsor begins shuckin money your direction people will talk. In this industry, as well as most others, people will talk and spread your name to places you can't imagine... As long as you produce something to talk about.

If you keep with it, and get your degree (DO GET A DEGREE), with the right people watching you could be doing this for a job.
Posted By: Netty2424

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 02:28 AM

Something to keep in mind, I don't know exaclty how fishing teams are governed in regards to collegiate sports, but in other collegiate sports, i.e. Basketball, football, baseball, etc if you are sponsored and take money and/or free goods in exchange for service, you may remove yourself from receiving any scholarships because you would be considered a paid professional, deeming yourself intelligible to compete.

Again, I don't know about fishing, but something worth looking into.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 03:50 AM

Really awesome advice from some of you guys! This is why I love the TFF!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 03:54 AM

As with anything in life, work hard, be humble and give 110% all the time and the ones that need to notice will notice.

Tr to stay away from being a self promoting "pro".

Hard work, humility and patients are keys to success.
Posted By: xanadu

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 04:39 AM

I was reading a book a while back and somebody said that they want to come to America and have a big house and expensive car. They want to "have" instead of "earn the money to buy".

I've never been sponsored in fishing but I was sponsored in another sport and the one thing that I learned is that you need to worry about fishing now and sponsors later. It seems cold but let's just say that 1000 people in each state want to be sponsored by company x. That's 50,000 people that want their backing. What do YOU bring with the deal that puts you ahead of thousands of others? How many tournies have you placed in the top 10? Some people get backing because of their image but you really have to be unique for that one. Even Skeet Reese and Icanelli can back their image with great fishing. As you build a resume then the sponsors will look at you, but you have to put in the work first. No free rides in the sponsor world. If you are a good salesman then start a youtube channel and build it up. Show don't tell. That seems like the best way these days to get known and respected.
Posted By: trogge

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 02:03 PM

A family member or close friend that owns a business is how 90% of sponsorships that I've seen happen. Networking. Who you know is vastly more important from what I've seen vs what you know. Get a job in sales. Sales exists in every interaction we have with other people. It is the foundation of success in this world.

Most likely even if you're good and placing well consistently in tournaments, you will not get any real sponsorship in bass fishing. Get a job to play. And if you're good enough your winnings will at least pay for your pashion. And if it's truly meant to be you make it to the big show some day. Don't buy your way in. Qualify.

I like what one guy said about don't become a self promoting "pro". There are enough posers out there as it is.

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Netty2424
Something to keep in mind, I don't know exaclty how fishing teams are governed in regards to collegiate sports, but in other collegiate sports, i.e. Basketball, football, baseball, etc if you are sponsored and take money and/or free goods in exchange for service, you may remove yourself from receiving any scholarships because you would be considered a paid professional, deeming yourself intelligible to compete.

Again, I don't know about fishing, but something worth looking into.

Collegiate fishing doesn't fall under this category because we are not sanctioned by the NCAA. Actually almost every team has atleast a few product sponsors, and most of the collegiate tournaments give away cash prizes for the top teams. Good post though, as I'm sure many people probably had the same question.
Posted By: manny_G_77

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/08/14 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: trogge
or they aren't really getting anything at all from a company and just want to look legit.

rolfmao

You mean having stickers on your truck and possibly a 10% discount isn't a sponsorship? LOL This whole time I've been claiming I was sponsored by the Cowboys. I wear their jerseys and have decals plus i get a trueblue 10% discount. I even thank them when I get an "attaboy" at my job..... I know there are pros and guides that really are sponsored but otherwise to me it's cheesy.
Posted By: Jay Kumar

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/10/14 03:46 PM

Big ones are very tough, their phones are ringing all day long...literally. Your age can actually be an advantage. PM me if you want more.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/10/14 06:43 PM

Some good advice has already been posted but a few things to add.

First is that you need to understand what sponsorship actually is. The lines been blurred a bit in our sport and it's both the fault of anglers and the companies that they partner with. Sponsorship is "rights" based. It isn't sales. Like marketing, sponsorship and sports marketing support sales and are aligned with sales efforts but sales they are not.

Second, you need to fine tune the approach a bit. Asking for sponsorship from a larger brand is somewhat unrealistic unless you're a professional with a strong resume and even stronger social network/presence. The TFF isn't the place to find that or ask for it. I know you're looking for direction and it shows moxie even typing the post here but this isn't the place to find what you're looking for. No offense intended.

Follow the advice from most here and focus on your school and then fishing and of you're successful at both and stay passionate then opportunity will find you.

Also take Jay up in his offer (he's well connected) network, learn, ask questions and enjoy being a kid. There's plenty of time for the business side of this sport later.
Posted By: Bruce Johns

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/10/14 06:49 PM

These guys have a comical, and very realistic, article on sponsorship.

http://www.bassguys.com/bass-fishing/the-reality-of-being-a-pro-staffer
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/10/14 08:22 PM

There's no better advice than having value on your name and your brand. I understand it's very hard at first because you're wanting any and everything you can get your hands on in terms of product and/or cash but way too many anglers are out there supporting brands for a small discount and some for none at all.

Devalues the whole process for everyone. That article is right on.
Posted By: Todd Ivins

Re: Getting sponsored - 04/10/14 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Johns
These guys have a comical, and very realistic, article on sponsorship.

http://www.bassguys.com/bass-fishing/the-reality-of-being-a-pro-staffer

That was awesome...really good read
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum