Print Thread
Sit In Depth Finder Mount??? #9849099 03/24/14 01:58 AM
T
tshirtfan Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
I just got a Lowrance Elite 4x and have a sit in kayak. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on a mount. I see a lot of ideas for a sit on, but no sit in..........

Thy will be done
Re: Sit In Depth Finder Mount??? [Re: tshirtfan] #9849128 03/24/14 02:05 AM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
What kind of sit-in?

I don't have pics of mine with the FF mount but I did something similar as done in this article - basically a dashboard.

http://fishgator.com/kayak-accessories/do-it-yourself-fishing-console-for-sit-inside-kayaks/

Re: Sit In Depth Finder Mount??? [Re: tshirtfan] #9849138 03/24/14 02:08 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Look at YakAttack or Mad Frog Gear for mounting the console and the transducer.

Re: Sit In Depth Finder Mount??? [Re: tshirtfan] #9849786 03/24/14 01:50 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C

when i had my sit inside i made this dashboard out of a large cutting board, it worked very well for what i needed at the time

Re: Sit In Depth Finder Mount??? [Re: C-Frog] #9850342 03/24/14 04:54 PM
T
tshirtfan Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: C-Frog

when i had my sit inside i made this dashboard out of a large cutting board, it worked very well for what i needed at the time

Thanks, great idea

Thy will be done
Re: Sit In Depth Finder Mount??? [Re: tshirtfan] #10151012 07/20/14 05:18 PM
L
lysdectic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Just came across this variation.

It is not latched into place, but wedges in there quite nicely to stay secure, but I can pull it out quickly when I need to. Another thing that is nice about it is that you can set the console up on a table or on the ground with the rods in them which makes it a nice platform for setting them up before going out. Plus, I can unlock the rod holders, flip the console over, and it still can be used as a cutting board for cleaning fish! I'm really pleased with how it turned, you can't beat the cost, and it took under an hour to make. Anybody should be able to make this console for any sit inside kayak with a suitable inner groove around the cockpit. Here's how I made mine... Parts and equipment needed: -One 24"x24" stiff piece of cardboard (for making a template) -One 24"x18" "cheapie" plastic cutting board -Two Berkley rod holders and mounts (Scotty or most any other type could be custom fitted onto the console) -Eight 1" bolts with nuts and washers (I used brass and stainless would work as well) -Pair of scissors to cut cardboard -Sharpie marker or pencil -Drill -Jigsaw with wood cutting or multi-purpose blade -Coarse sandpaper -Safety googles Procedure: -Make a template out of cardboard. Place the sheet of cardboard square over the front of the cockpit of the kayak. I left a 3"-4" gap between the very front edge of the cockpit and the cardboard as a pass-through for my fishfinder cables and reach-through access. Reach underneath the cardboard and with a marker or pencil, trace the rim of the cockpit onto the cardboard. -Cut out the cardboard template. Note that the finished console will need to be larger than what you have traced, so before you cut out the template from the tracing, you need to add about 1/2" to around the edge.. You will also need to trim and cut the template to the length that you desire (some cockpits are smaller than others) -Using a marker or pencil, trace the cardboard template onto the cutting board. -Using the jigsaw, cut out the the shape of the console on the cutting board. Note that you should do this at a slow cutting speed. If the blade is moving too fast, it will melt the plastic and bind, so slower is better. -Sand the rough edges of the console before fitting it to your kayak. Some additional trimming with the jigsaw and sanding may be needed to get the console to fit just right. -With the console in place, position the rod holder mounts in their desired locations and using a marker or pencil, mark the bolt holes onto the console. I suggest actually sitting in the kayak and putting a rod in a holder in the mount to do this for proper fitment... -drill the holes for the rod holder mount(s) -Bolt the rod holder mounts onto the console using the bolts with nuts and washers. -If you have a way to bolt your fishfinder onto the console (I attach mine with a bungee cord), do so by marking and drilling in the same manner as the rod holder mounts. Do whatever works best for you and you can even add a cupholder if you wish like I have by tracing it out and drilling a starter hole for the jigsaw blade before cutting it out. Actually, the cupholder hole has come in pretty handy for other purposes. For trolling when I want some of my longer handle rods pointing perpendicular from kayak, its obviously desirable (and much easier to paddle) when they are tilted up a bit. The handles will go right into the cupholder hole allowing me to put them into proper position. That's pretty much all that there is to it! -Paul

Last edited by lysdectic; 07/20/14 05:20 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide