Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9836632 03/19/14 01:45 PM
AggieKenny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
It comes down to respect, and it's the people who don't respect the docks and property of others that cause a problem for those of who do.
I can't tell you how many times I've walked down to my slip and boats were in there fishing, it's pretty aggravating, but what can I do. The way I understand the law, there is nothing I can do.
BTW Diego, the only time I fished Lake Graham, the only fish I caught, I caught under a dock. Fortunately it was empty and didn't have to worry about hitting a boat.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9837023 03/19/14 03:15 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Only time we shy away is if people are on the dock itself. If they are just out in the yard or sitting on the porch, fair game. Oh, and FYI, some of the best docks on CC for shooting & catching fish, have zero brush under them.

Last edited by CCBIRDDOGMAN; 03/19/14 03:21 PM.

2 Bedroom Lake house on CC for rent. P.M. me!
Re: Dock shooting [Re: AggieKenny] #9837038 03/19/14 03:18 PM
M
marcus254 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: AggieKenny
It comes down to respect, and it's the people who don't respect the docks and property of others that cause a problem for those of who do.
I can't tell you how many times I've walked down to my slip and boats were in there fishing, it's pretty aggravating, but what can I do. The way I understand the law, there is nothing I can do.
BTW Diego, the only time I fished Lake Graham, the only fish I caught, I caught under a dock. Fortunately it was empty and didn't have to worry about hitting a boat.

just make creepy akward small talk stare at them oddly till they get unconfortable and leave, might keep them away for good chances are youll never see them again thats what i'd do if i wanted them gone freak

Re: Dock shooting [Re: OkieBob] #9837119 03/19/14 03:37 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: OkieBob
I own a dock on CCL and have condos and brushpiles out all over the lake.
When the lake is up to full pool crappie can occasionally be caught shooting it.
I have no problem with anyone wanting to fish my dock and if I see you shooting it, I'll probably walk down to shoot the bull and see how you are doing. Maybe even offer you a cup of coffee.
But, I also understand other owners don't feel this way. The few bad apples spoil it for the vast majority of good guys. And, if you were not a fisherman and had an expensive boat sitting in your dock and a fisherman pulled up and started shooting 1/16 oz lead jigs at it, how would you feel?

Well said. I feel the same way and will often give tips about lmb I know are in certain areas that can be reached by a boat at the end of a slip.

If a dock or slip owner started shooting jigs back under the boats of those shooting the jigs toward their boats, the dock shooters in the boats would go ballistic.

But the same principle applies. Nobody owns the water under their boats but common sense should indicate you don't shoot lures or jigs toward somebody's boat.

Just because the boat is sitting in a slip in a dock does not make a difference. People with common sense do not flip lures around other people's boats.

There is ten feet of open water in the end of my slip where I have two fish attractors that can be fished by anybody. The locations of the attractors are fairly obvious, since I have them suspended by ropes hanging down from the bottom of the slip walkways.

Yet my mooring ropes continue to show snags when people have tangled their lures in the ropes while shooting their lures beside my boat and then jerked until they retrieve the lures from the mooring ropes.

The sides of my pontoon are metal so may show dings but are hard to damage. But the sides of most boats are jell coat and can be damaged by those lures being cast against them.

Fish the slips but make sure you are good enough at it that you don't hit people's boats nor tangle your lures in their boat covers nor mooring ropes.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: ezgoing] #9837376 03/19/14 04:48 PM
TC59 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I had someone party on my pontoon boat in my slip. They smashed their beer cans on the floor and cut out the cup holder in the arm rest to use for an ash tray, then I guess they decided they needed the gas in my tank also. Lake Whitney

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9838305 03/19/14 09:21 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
I had somebody fish from the rear of my pontoon a few months back. They left the cover off and some trash in the boat but they did not damage anything nor steal anything. They just left a mess for me to clean up.

The cabin cruiser near me has had somebody fish for catfish twice from the back of his boat the last three months. We assume it is for catfish since they leave chunks of dried liver all over his boat when they fish there. The last time they tried to pry the lock on the door to the cabin off, causing some damage. He has started sleeping there occasionally with a 9mm now.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9839602 03/20/14 05:18 AM
F
full stringer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Hmmm, let's see....
I have a condo on a golf course and hate it when people hit my window with golf ball.
I can't stand it when I go through the trouble of hanging a climbing stand on public land and someone hunts out of it.
It really ticks me off when squirels raid my bird feeder.

Whatever. If there's fish there, then I'm going to try and catch it. We all know by now that not everyone is respectful and/or thoughtful, so we all need to take precautions to protect our belongings.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9839657 03/20/14 09:38 AM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
O.K, to be fair, every time I see somebody fishing my slip I will take up a rod with a 1/2 ounce jig head on it and start tossing it at the water underneath their boat.

After all they don't own the water where their boat is floating, I have a right to fish the water under their boat. If their boat is damaged from my fishing, why it is their responsibility to take care of their property.

It's not my fault I damage their boat. I have the right to fish there so if their boat is damaged it's their fault since there may be fish under their boat and I have the right to fish anywhere I want to fish.

Your argument sounds rather silly when it is applied in reverse, doesn't it? Just as it sounds silly when you apply your logic to dock owners.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9840596 03/20/14 04:38 PM
F
full stringer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
The topic was DOCK SHOOTING was it not. The fish arent in your boat, but they're probably in mine.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9840777 03/20/14 05:48 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
hmmmmmmm interesting .....so there are crappie under boat docks as well eeks

Re: Dock shooting [Re: ezgoing] #9841539 03/20/14 11:47 PM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: ezgoing
O.K, to be fair, every time I see somebody fishing my slip I will take up a rod with a 1/2 ounce jig head on it and start tossing it at the water underneath their boat.

After all they don't own the water where their boat is floating, I have a right to fish the water under their boat. If their boat is damaged from my fishing, why it is their responsibility to take care of their property.

It's not my fault I damage their boat. I have the right to fish there so if their boat is damaged it's their fault since there may be fish under their boat and I have the right to fish anywhere I want to fish.

Your argument sounds rather silly when it is applied in reverse, doesn't it? Just as it sounds silly when you apply your logic to dock owners.

You're under the assumption that everyone that shoots docks has bad aim. If I was hitting someone's boat with my jig, then they have a right to be mad. As many of us have said, if there's someone on the dock, we don't fish it, so they would have no reason to be mad or chunk jigs at our boat.

Re: Dock shooting [Re: Dieago] #9848466 03/23/14 09:14 PM
B
Bass Buster I Offline
Angler
Angler
B
some of these lake front property owners get bent out of shape
i was fishing the banks and this guy came down and told me to get off his property, so i just stepped into the waters edge and continued fishing, he asked did you hear what i said get off my property. i turned around looked down at the water and said im not on your property. he said well im going to call the lake cops. i said go ahead. about 10 minutes later boat pulled up asked if i was asked to get off his property i said yes and i stepped into the water, and he kept on yelling at me ,and then he said he would call you guys and i said ok.
so your here and you see that im still standing in the water.
he said you are right. asked if i would move on around the bank and i said ok not a problem.
they went and talked to the "land owner " told him he didnt own the water and he started griping and saying something about the fisherman and he just wanted peace and quite.
the guy said something to the owner and the owner turned around walked off and yelled out A Hole to me and the L A told him to go back in his house. Then he started yellling at them saying, so now your telling me im own my land and your telling me i have to go in my house..
later they came scooting around and told me that the guy is always causing problems for everyone.

That Bass dont care if your in a Ranger boat or a metal bathtub with a trolling motor mounted to it
if he aint biting neither will do you any good
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide