Forums59
Topics1,039,794
Posts13,970,439
Members144,220
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: dayspass] #9793483 03/04/14 03:05 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: dayspass
Originally Posted By: NoWeighers

You are correct.. Bass and gar have been living together for thousands of years. And you're right.. Till now there has been no problem.. Plenty of both.

Until you start protecting one of the classes.. Now we have a problem..

14" minimum and 5 per day is a form of protection.

You get one Alligator Gar legally a day, now who is protected? smile

(Look Tim, I typed Alligator LOL)

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #9793499 03/04/14 03:11 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

You are correct.. Bass and gar have been living together for thousands of years. And you're right.. Till now there has been no problem.. Plenty of both.

And how long has that one fish limit been on alligator gar? How long has there been a limit on bass?

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #9793518 03/04/14 03:17 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

LOL!!!

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #9793556 03/04/14 03:29 PM
D
dayspass Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D

Ya, i'm aware and am not really on either side of the argument, just stating that that bass are protected as well which makes his argument invalid.

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793757 03/04/14 04:24 PM
N
NoWeighers Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
Not sure what I am or have been entitled to.. Or you for that matter..

And I did not make it personal.. But some folks think that we are catching more and bigger bass when the truth is we aren't.. I just want to know where you are getting your info. And it ain't on TPWD website..

If you are a gar lover I do not have a problem with that. Do you think that we have a shortage of Gar?

I am not advocating for the annialation of gar.. Why do you think bass are protected? Maybe because they were getting more and more popular to fish for?

Ok.. So we set a lower limit on them. And its working.. Kind of.. But that is called management.

We lowered the limit on gar to one per day.. That is called management. Even though 98% of fishermen consider tham a trash fish. And boy has it worked.. Especially here on Falcon.. And Choke canyon.. Gar now outnumber bass here on Falcon..

But now it is time for more management. They manage lakes and species on individual lakes all the time.. What's wrong with doing the same with gar on Falcon..

Have you been to Falcon? Or is your expertise on gar coming from TPWD record books too?

And now you have the story on gar at Falcon..

Don't worry.. Youre entitled to it..

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
"On the eighth day, Man invented the Fish Hook."
Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793780 03/04/14 04:32 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Not sure what I am or have been entitled to.. Or you for that matter..

And I did not make it personal.. But some folks think that we are catching more and bigger bass when the truth is we aren't.. I just want to know where you are getting your info. And it ain't on TPWD website..

If you are a gar lover I do not have a problem with that. Do you think that we have a shortage of Gar?

I am not advocating for the annialation of gar.. Why do you think bass are protected? Maybe because they were getting more and more popular to fish for?

Ok.. So we set a lower limit on them. And its working.. Kind of.. But that is called management.

We lowered the limit on gar to one per day.. That is called management. Even though 98% of fishermen consider tham a trash fish. And boy has it worked.. Especially here on Falcon.. And Choke canyon.. Gar now outnumber bass here on Falcon..

But now it is time for more management. They manage lakes and species on individual lakes all the time.. What's wrong with doing the same with gar on Falcon..

Have you been to Falcon? Or is your expertise on gar coming from TPWD record books too?

And now you have the story on gar at Falcon..

Don't worry.. Youre entitled to it..

Thanks for making my argument. Alligator gar deserve the same protections as bass. And I hate to tell you, Falcon is not the only lake in Texas.

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793817 03/04/14 04:41 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
ChuChu, So can we keep 5 alligator gar over 14"?

Since we are going head to head with bass.

Bass aren't protected during the spawn.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #9793854 03/04/14 04:57 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
ChuChu, So can we keep 5 alligator gar over 14"?
Where did I say that?

Since we are going head to head with bass.
No, we are talking protection of spawning areas AT TIMES.

Bass aren't protected during the spawn.
They should be.

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793864 03/04/14 05:00 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
^^^^^

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Alligator gar deserve the same protections as bass.

I can do color lettering too! smile

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #9793897 03/04/14 05:09 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
^^^^^

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Alligator gar deserve the same protections as bass.

I can do color lettering too! smile

Grow up.

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793926 03/04/14 05:17 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
banana freak

Last edited by Bass_Bustin_Texan; 03/04/14 05:18 PM.

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #9793932 03/04/14 05:20 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
banana freak

You prove my grandaddy right....you can't reason with a fool.

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793961 03/04/14 05:28 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I won't go down your "path." Thanks!

I simply quoted what you said and you start the "name calling", I think we know who has shown there age. smile

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9793966 03/04/14 05:30 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
BTW that was a great jingle back in the 80's, often times it comes to my head. smile

Re: closing gar area? Hopefully so they can dynamite the hole [Re: NoWeighers] #9795798 03/05/14 02:59 AM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
If you think most lakes you fish have alligator gar in them in abundance then either one of two things are true: You spend most of your time on choke canyon,falcon,livingston, and rayburn -or- you do not know the difference between a spotted gar and an alligator gar.

In a natural setting alligator gar and bass don't really take up the same nich anyway. Alligator gar are river/estuary fish and bass are backwater/slow water fish. None of our lakes are natural. Last I checked and I *could* be wrong about this, Livingston, Rayburn, Falcon, and Choke all have excellent bass fisheries.

If you are noticing a substantial decline down south I suspect it has much more to do with falling water levels, lack of rain, and decreased fertility as a result of low run off.

ChuChu,
The second part of my issue besides them being vague is that they are not even interested in biting a hook most of the time during active spawning activity.

My biggest issue with it is that spawning activity should actively be taking place for any type of closure to be enacted at all. The current proposition is a shot gun approach, close it and hope they spawn while it is going on. Just because the water is 75-80 degrees and we get an inch of rain does not mean they will be spawning, and the way that it is worded they can shut it down whether or not they are.

I assure you most people do not know the difference from one gar species to the next, which is why so many people get mad. The reality is that most lakes only have long nose gar and spotted. Alligator gar are mainly in the major rivers, Sabine, Trinity, Brazos, among others. Few lakes have viable populations. Of those that do there is no issue with population of game fish being hurt by alligator gar, it is simply a myth perpetuated by many people who do not know the difference and frankly do not care.

Tarpon are a lot like big gar, most people do not eat them but they sure do want to protect them because they fight hard and reproduce slow. They pay a lot of money to go fish for them too. If alligator gar lived in south America nobody would think twice about paying thousands to go chase them. Consider that.
A fish that can hit 200#'s and lives less than 100 miles from most of us should not be disregarded considering the fight and thrill of landing it even if it does not make table fair for most people.

I don't care about spotted gar and long nosed, they don't have issues with habitat loss or any of the other issues facing the alligator gar.
Thanks

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide