Forums59
Topics1,039,322
Posts13,962,831
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: big10] #9777957 02/27/14 04:08 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: big10
What I am proposing is the 1st tag or stamp would be included with your freshwater fishing licenses, no extra charge. If you choose to keep and tag a fish over 30", and then return that tag to TPWD for a 2nd tag, the second tag will cost you $5.

If you choose to not keep any fish over 30" or even just 1 fish over 30" for the entire year, there is no additional cost for you.

Evidently you don't understand how the state legislature works. To balance the budget, the legislature redirects funds intended for specific use to the general fund and issues bonds to pay for whatever those funds were intended for. Bonds result in interest that must be paid by taxpayers. As I said, I supported the freshwater stamp, but I will never support anything like it again. Period.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: Dusty Dooley] #9778228 02/27/14 05:14 PM
C
catfishfishfishin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Dusty Dooley
Great Idea, I dont know why anyone keeps the big ones anyway.the thrill is catching them. I understand wanting meat for the table, but you dont kill all the adult chickens then wonder why there arent any eggs.

I believe it's a myth that lots of people are keeping big blues. Yes it does happen, but how often? If it were happening at the alarming rate some would have you believe, there wouldnt be the amount of trophy size fish caught that we are seeing.

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: catfishfishfishin] #9778360 02/27/14 05:41 PM
C
catfishingterry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: catfishfishfishin
Originally Posted By: Dusty Dooley
Great Idea, I dont know why anyone keeps the big ones anyway.the thrill is catching them. I understand wanting meat for the table, but you dont kill all the adult chickens then wonder why there arent any eggs.

I believe it's a myth that lots of people are keeping big blues. Yes it does happen, but how often? If it were happening at the alarming rate some would have you believe, there wouldnt be the amount of trophy size fish caught that we are seeing.
I have seen it several times people keeping large fish. You also see skinned fish skeletons a lot around cleaning stations. All some of us want to save the trophy species. My son will be glad we did when he is older.

IF IT AINT BLOWIN I AINT GOWIN
Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9779667 02/28/14 12:45 AM
F
fmclee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I took the survey. But, I will tell you that limiting small fish take is a mistake....
I fished Squaw Creek for channels many years. It was closed due to the 911 fiasco. When the lake reopened,(AFTER MANY YEARS) I was one of the first to fish it again. The fish were dinky and pathetic. Keepers to eat? Just barely !! Oh, you could catch them as fast as the bait hit the water. But they were in terrible shape. STARVING!!! This year after fisherman and others have harvested thousands of those fish in the past few years, the fish are good size. Best year (sizewise) I have seen in a very long time. Don't kid yourselves, Not harvesting fish will not cure the ills. I've caught blue catfish, and flatties there also. No size at all to them. I have fished Tawokoni in the past, but not recently. Also, for the record... The largemouth bass in Squaw Creek aren't doing much better. A 9 lb fish (one) was the big fish for a tournament held there recently. Pathetic. Especially when that fish bellied up when released after the weigh in. It and quite a few more did the same. I know... I fileted them at the park staffs request. So to say a reduction in keeping fish will better a lake is much too broad of a statement. Each lake has its own balance, I think
Tawakoni's taking very good care of itself. Leave it alone........... Welcome haters .....

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: fmclee] #9779766 02/28/14 01:14 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
And that is the purpose of the survey. I agree somewhat on the smaller fish, but 15 to 25 is still a liberal limit. I'm glad to see TP&W taking an interest before the disaster instead of trying to fix it after it's too late.

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9779905 02/28/14 01:51 AM
F
fmclee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
What I am proposing is the 1st tag or stamp would be included with your freshwater fishing licenses, no extra charge. If you choose to keep and tag a fish over 30", and then return that tag to TPWD for a 2nd tag, the second tag will cost you $5.

If you choose to not keep any fish over 30" or even just 1 fish over 30" for the entire year, there is no additional cost for you.

Evidently you don't understand how the state legislature works. To balance the budget, the legislature redirects funds intended for specific use to the general fund and issues bonds to pay for whatever those funds were intended for. Bonds result in interest that must be paid by taxpayers. As I said, I supported the freshwater stamp, but I will never support anything like it again. Period.

+1

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: fmclee] #9779961 02/28/14 02:10 AM
C
ChuckP Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: fmclee
I took the survey. But, I will tell you that limiting small fish take is a mistake....
I fished Squaw Creek for channels many years. It was closed due to the 911 fiasco. When the lake reopened,(AFTER MANY YEARS) I was one of the first to fish it again. The fish were dinky and pathetic. Keepers to eat? Just barely !! Oh, you could catch them as fast as the bait hit the water. But they were in terrible shape. STARVING!!! This year after fisherman and others have harvested thousands of those fish in the past few years, the fish are good size. Best year (sizewise) I have seen in a very long time. Don't kid yourselves, Not harvesting fish will not cure the ills. I've caught blue catfish, and flatties there also. No size at all to them. I have fished Tawokoni in the past, but not recently. Also, for the record... The largemouth bass in Squaw Creek aren't doing much better. A 9 lb fish (one) was the big fish for a tournament held there recently. Pathetic. Especially when that fish bellied up when released after the weigh in. It and quite a few more did the same. I know... I fileted them at the park staffs request. So to say a reduction in keeping fish will better a lake is much too broad of a statement. Each lake has its own balance, I think
Tawakoni's taking very good care of itself. Leave it alone........... Welcome haters .....

Bingo!!!! You don't want to stunt the growth of fish. There is a delicate balance and fish must be taken of all sizes to keep a balance and not stunt growth.

ChuChu1 I have looked at lots of stocking reports. Lavon and Tawakoni were stocked with blues, Grapevine, Lewisville, and Ray Bob were never stocked. The last 3 lakes mentioned have a good population that found there own way into those lakes. The size and quality are not as good as the first 2 mentioned lakes.

Big10 I am for sound regulations but I DO NOT want to give the state any more of my money than I already do.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

/
36 1/2 lb blue cat- - - - -1995 Baymaster

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9780031 02/28/14 02:28 AM
13ankin_It Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
leave all regulations alone on blues. Change the daily limit from 25 to NO LIMIT on channels. channels suck
rolfmao 2cents

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9780081 02/28/14 02:43 AM
P
popcat10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P

I would like to reply/quote previous posts but I think you can figure out which ones. I don't think I saw anywhere where anyone proposed to CLOSE any lake for MANY years. That is not anything at all close to comparable. I know that this is just a discussion but if 5$ means that much to a person they probably need to spend it to live from day to day rather than to enjoy the privilege of fishing. I can say that I have fished MANY lakes in TEXAS for MANY years and the regulations to lakes like Waco are working wonders. I think it is an extremely good idea to decrease the daily limit to 15 and be able to keep the one oversized fish.

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9780106 02/28/14 02:52 AM
B
big10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'm not familiar with squaw creek but after some quick research I see the surface area of the lake is 3,272 acres. Add a 0 to the end of that and you are still not as big as Tawakoni. Trying to compare the 2 is like comparing not apples to oranges but more like a comparing a grape to a watermelon.

Of course if you go on a small lake like that for years with no harvest of fish the lake will become out of balance. The situation you describe is an unordinary occurrence. For these special situations TPWD can make special regulations for that body of water to allow additional harvest to get the population back into balance.

Jerry Dillard
Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9780195 02/28/14 03:10 AM
B
big10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Boat $6000

Electronics $1000

Rod & reels $1200

Cast net $60

Freshwater fishing liscense $35

Gas for trip to home lake $100

Additional oversize catfish tag $5
cry

Jerry Dillard
Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: big10] #9780221 02/28/14 03:15 AM
P
popcat10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
PRICELESS

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9780378 02/28/14 03:50 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
+1^^^^^

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: big10] #9780715 02/28/14 09:13 AM
F
fmclee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I'm not familiar with squaw creek but after some quick research I see the surface area of the lake is 3,272 acres. Add a 0 to the end of that and you are still not as big as Tawakoni. Trying to compare the 2 is like comparing not apples to oranges but more like a comparing a grape to a watermelon.

Of course if you go on a small lake like that for years with no harvest of fish the lake will become out of balance. The situation you describe is an unordinary occurrence. For these special situations TPWD can make special regulations for that body of water to allow additional harvest to get the population back into balance.

A little more research is needed , I guess. Squaw Creek is only open to boats 3 days a week by reservations only. Only 100 boats are allowed each day. Rod and reel fishing only. Of the 100 boats allowed, I would wager that 3 to 5 percent are catfishing. Surface area small yes , Average depth twice as deep or more than Tawakoni. It holds a lot of water. They are cooling two nuclear reactors!! I've seen depths way over 120 feet. To your point "BIG LAKES WILL ALWAYS PROVIDE BIG FISH". I never have kept a big catfish. Who wants to eat something that old. Do you kill and eat 10 year old deer? or butcher 10 year old cattle for meat? Not me. I want prime. I dare to say that those that do, won't after the 1st time. I like those 2-6 lb catfish. This big fish thing is way out of proportion. Fun to catch? YES!! Tasty? I think not !! Leave the governing bodies out of this this thing. They have our lives quite a bit out of whack as it is. Better keep that $5. You will need it to help pay your new taxes and Obamacare bill. Pass all the laws you want, It won't stop the few that take those fish. Poaching and road hunting still happen every day. It's the nature of the beast. Mother nature has a way of taking care of most adversities. Let her do her work.

Re: here's your chance to speak you piece.... [Re: ChuChu1] #9781008 02/28/14 02:01 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Chuck P.....Lewisville was liberally stocked with channel catfish. Blue catfish are NOT the only fish in the sea. For whatever reason, TP&W biologists decide what species of fish will do well in what waters. Used to be that TP&W didn't care what fishermen wanted, they took care of business for the politicians. In recent years that has changed and they listen to the people that actually use the resource. This survey is your chance to speak up. And it didn't ask for you to decide how to manage any other body of water.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide