texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,007
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,485
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,876
Posts13,954,625
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Switching to a Yak from an inflatble #9770770 02/25/14 05:56 PM
R
robbiebobbie92 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Hello all!

Right now i have a Mariner 3 Inflatable, but i am thinking of switching to a Jackson Big Rig Kayak. With my inflatable i was able to mount my huge tackle box to the trolling motor mount. Does any one have any ideas of what i should do to carry my tackle when im in a kayak? I have thought about buying some of the plano boxes and putting my tackle in my large bag, but i would hate to get stuck out there and not have the lures or equipment i need. Inside of my tackle box i have everything including crankbaits, soft plastics, spinner/buzz baits, alabama rigs. Then of course all the weights, hooks and lines.

I have attached a picture of my inflatable set up below so you have an idea of my tackle box.

Re: Switching to a Yak from an inflatble [Re: robbiebobbie92] #9770880 02/25/14 06:21 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Milk crate or BlackPak with boxes would do it OR just lash it in the back tankwell.

Re: Switching to a Yak from an inflatble [Re: robbiebobbie92] #9770912 02/25/14 06:31 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I like your boat. thumb

I agree with Chris - a milkcrate is pretty much standard equipment loaded with plano boxes for yaks. However, what is the problem with using your current box(s)?

Re: Switching to a Yak from an inflatble [Re: robbiebobbie92] #9770962 02/25/14 06:43 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
I actually like your inflatable too! Funny thing, I'm the opposite of you! I have a yak and was looking to buy an inflatable like yours. I love my yaks, but I wanted something bigger to take my boy or a companion out with me. I live in a small apartment so an inflatable looked like my best option.

I have done a lot of looking into the various inflatable options. From what I have read, the Intex Mariner 3 & 4 seem to always get really good reviews. It appears to be a very well built, durable inflatable (especially for the price!).

How long have you had yours? Do you like it? If you were to buy another inflatable...any that you would recommend (versus the Intex Mariner brand?)

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Switching to a Yak from an inflatble [Re: robbiebobbie92] #9771123 02/25/14 07:38 PM
R
robbiebobbie92 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Urban Fisher,
I have had mine for about 6 months or so. I love the thing! But it gets to be too much when you are trying to fish alone in a pond/mini-lake with the trolling motor, battery, hard floor, chairs plus all of your fishing equipment when the waters not right at the car. (I know high maintenance)

I am going to keep it because I primarily use it when i fish with my 13yr old cousin, and its great! The only thing it really needs is a back rudder/fin to help it keep straight.

The worst part of an inflatable is trying to keeping the world from popping it lol! But with some PVC material and some marine goop there isnt any hole you cant patch.

I am looking to get a yak for when im by myself and i dont have to worry about it popping when i start to fish in the shallows.

I came close to sinking the other day fishing on the pond, a stick was poking up. Lucky my trolling motor hit it and broke it.

Re: Switching to a Yak from an inflatble [Re: robbiebobbie92] #9771155 02/25/14 07:51 PM
Y
Yak FinAddic Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
You might consider the frontier 12 by Nucanoe. It is great Solo or up to 3 smaller people. It has a transom incase you still want to use yourTM, it's lighter than the Big Rig and maybe even cheaper.

Re: Switching to a Yak from an inflatble [Re: robbiebobbie92] #9771187 02/25/14 08:03 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Thanks Robbie! I really do appreciate your input!

I agree with keeping both boats. I have my little yak type boats and do not plan on selling them to get the inflatable. I want both! My son is also 13 and I would love to get a small jon boat or something that we can both enjoy. However, living in a small apartment an inflatable just makes more sense. I agree with the biggest concern about the inflatable being pop-able, but as you stated, I'm sure they are not too difficult to perform simple repairs on.

Also to address some of your original questions...I can't advise you too much on a particular yak. I actually build my own little boats so I guess I'm not too fluent on what the current offerings are from the manufactures. So can't help you much there.

But as to gear...just learn to slim down! I too use to think I had to take tons of stuff with me on each fishing trip. Over the years I have learned to streamline it down to where I can fit a whole days worth of fishing tackle I need (for that day) in my pocket! I can't tell you how many times I go fishing with someone and am amazed at how much gear they take with them. When we are done for the day I always tell them..."Look at what you used today and what you didn't...Whatever you didn't use, next time, don't bring it" (aside from all the mandatory safety gear that should always be with you).

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide