Forums59
Topics1,039,346
Posts13,963,220
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. #9753032 02/19/14 07:38 PM
M
Mark Bisson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Hey guys,
I am wanting to know what everybody's preference on the A-rig is. Also if you want any tips on building your own or how to make a retriever PM me. I have been tinkering with them for a couple years now and I have my ideal rig made. Here is my ideal rig and how to build it. I use .035 stainless wire. I use leader crimps to keep my swivels in place. I use a #3 on the top and a #3.5 on the bottom. I use a swim jig mold to make my hooks. I ground the brush guard nail at an angle so when I pour the lead it doesn't make the brush guard cavity. I like a 4/0 heavy hook that won't bend on big fish. I also like m A-rig as light as possible. I usually rig them with a 1/8 oz head. I also have a wire bender that makes bending the wire easier. I would like to know what rigs everybody else likes and how you rig them. Here are a couple pics of my rig. I also have found out that the Gorilla Brand bottle of super glue last a lot longer than any other super glue I have tried. I put a little bit on the jig head when I rig my bait and it keeps much longer on the bait.

I made my own Arig-retriever. I purchased the lure retriever from Academy that is shaped like a fish. I purchased a retractable dog walker that I attached to. I then purchased the biggest treble hook I could find and put it on the retriever. I ground the ends and crimped the barb. It does a great job of hooking the A-rig wire and pulling it up. I haven't lost one since I started using it. I have torn them up pulling them out of structure though.

Here is my storage bag that I use. I purchased this at academy also

I hope this helps!
Mark

Last edited by StratosRookie; 02/19/14 11:30 PM.

Don't tell your God how big the storm is,

Tell the storm how big your God is!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753055 02/19/14 07:43 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Retriever idea is what I use. BUT I put a big 4-5oz weight on it and some dog chain from my dog's chock collar. I clip on the line with the collar clip. The big weight can dislodge bait and the chain grabs the hooks. Works great on cranks too.

Only time I loose one is when the crank runs up under a limb and does not allow the weight to slide down the line to the bait.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753082 02/19/14 07:48 PM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey, thanks pardner! Sounds as if you have fished the A-rig a lot.
Question: What or can this rig be set up and fished WITHOUT weighted hooks? Or is it supposed to be weighted to sink fast?
Never used an A-Rig and am new, forgive my stupid question but, LOL, I'm not bashful. If I don't know, I'll ask.
Like your name tag, 'StratosRookie'..... rolfmao
looks and sounds as if that should be 'StratosPro'..... thumb
fish texas

Last edited by Lee in Texas; 02/19/14 07:48 PM.

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753295 02/19/14 08:38 PM
M
Mark Bisson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Actually that's a good question. You can rig it with regular worm hooks. U can even use one of those hooks with the weedless brush guard to help make it more weedless for very shallow applications it seems to work best for suspended fish that's why most are weighted. They are very effective. Especially for finding fish. I think I will always be a rookie. Way too much to learn about those fish.

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753298 02/19/14 08:39 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Lightness...

Everyone's are too heavy. Even the light ones.

I've requested mine from a private maker without jigheads to reduce weight, and with really expensive titanium wires. No clip swivels either, smaller swivels and O rings. And at least 3 willow blades are a must.

Your's looks really good man. A lot like my finished product.

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753403 02/19/14 09:12 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: StratosRookie
Hey guys,
I am wanting to know what everybody's preference on the A-rig is. Also if you want any tips on building your own or how to make a retriever PM me. I have been tinkering with them for a couple years now and I have my ideal rig made. Here is my ideal rig and how to build it. I use .035 stainless wire. I use leader crimps to keep my swivels in place. I use a #3 on the top and a #3.5 on the bottom. I use a swim jig mold to make my hooks. I ground the brush guard nail at an angle so when I pour the lead it doesn't make the brush guard cavity. I like a 4/0 heavy hook that won't bend on big fish. I also like m A-rig as light as possible. I usually rig them with a 1/8 oz head. I also have a wire bender that makes bending the wire easier. I would like to know what rigs everybody else likes and how you rig them. Here are a couple pics of my rig. I also have found out that the Gorilla Brand bottle of super glue last a lot longer than any other super glue I have tried. I put a little bit on the jig head when I rig my bait and it keeps much longer on the bait.

I made my own A-retriever. I purchased the lure retriever from Academy that is shaped like a fish. I purchased a retractable dog walker that I attached to. I then purchased the biggest treble hook I could find and put it on the retriever. I ground the ends and crimped the barb. It does a great job of hooking the A-rig wire and pulling it up. I haven't lost one since I started using it. I have torn them up pulling them out of structure though.

Here is my storage bag that I use. I purchased this at academy also

I hope this helps!
Mark

Dude, I wanna see pictures of your boat, garage and all your other stuff!! You amaze me with your neatness! rockon

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753665 02/19/14 10:47 PM
Big C Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I really like your lure retriever. I never thought of hooking it up to a dog leash. Smart idea.

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: timwins31] #9753738 02/19/14 11:16 PM
Big C Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I really like your lure retriever. I never thought of hooking it up to a dog leash. Smart idea.
Originally Posted By: timwins31
Lightness...

Everyone's are too heavy. Even the light ones.

I've requested mine from a private maker without jigheads to reduce weight, and with really expensive titanium wires. No clip swivels either, smaller swivels and O rings. And at least 3 willow blades are a must.

Your's looks really good man. A lot like my finished product.

+1. I agree. Let me know how your customs turn out.

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9753755 02/19/14 11:23 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I rarely throw it but from what I've experienced is that it needs to be lighter.

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9754224 02/20/14 02:00 AM
R
Ryorgensen Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Nice set up! Love the retriever also. Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9755365 02/20/14 01:11 PM
M
Mark Bisson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Thanks guys, I like the titanium wire idea. I ordered some. It really wasn't too expensive. I will have to see how it bends though and how stiff it is. That might allow the wires to be a little smaller. I will let y'all know. Keep the ideas coming.

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9755694 02/20/14 03:04 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Sorry I had to get off the phone yesterday, try and call you this evening, bro

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9756905 02/20/14 09:36 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: StratosRookie
Thanks guys, I like the titanium wire idea. I ordered some. It really wasn't too expensive. I will have to see how it bends though and how stiff it is. That might allow the wires to be a little smaller. I will let y'all know. Keep the ideas coming.

The titanium snaps back in shape really well. Way better than the lead/steel wire ones. And it takes about 10x more bending back and forth to break an arm. I think you'll be impressed. It's like a giant Terminator spinnerbait.

Last edited by timwins31; 02/20/14 09:36 PM.
Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Mark Bisson] #9757213 02/20/14 11:19 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
ha, I read your title and was thinking I would have to tell you that spins on the arm were the way to go, I opened up the thread and you have 2 spins on EACH arm!!! laugh laugh laugh

I don't make any of my own stuff, but I've done a bunch with the a-rig the last year and I think you have a great setup.

Re: How would your ideal A-rig be designed? Here are my tips. [Re: Rob Lay] #9757293 02/20/14 11:56 PM
J
Joey Watts Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Here is my ideal one and have sold about 500 of them the past few months.

Joey Watts
Flatlands Custom Tackle
5413 Marshall County Line Road
Byhalia, MIssissippi 38611
flatlands247@aol.com
662-838-3526
www.flatlandscustomtackle.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide