Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9728493 02/11/14 06:24 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: bush hog
Pretty sure what a game warden would do because that's their job but would like to hear their opinion on this subject. Maybe all Texas lakes (with deep water)should be included in the keep what you catch rule during the winter. Granted there are those that will keep a small fish regardless of conditions and they are a whole different subject (poachers!) but keeping a small fish because it is going to die anyway will make an honest man a criminal under the current laws.

In my opinion you should have the same rules for all the N. Texas lakes that exist on Fork. But my opinion is not worth 2cents so the best thing to do is return them to the water, knowing they will die when you do this.

However, allowing people to keep deep hooked fish that might die when released opens up a different can of worms. I would suspect you might as well eliminate minimum size limits if you allow this loophole. But I have already told you what my opinion is worth. smile

Re: The law's the law [Re: dwmoore] #9728688 02/11/14 07:30 PM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: dwmoore
I almost got a ticket one time for a gut hooked short fish.I will throw them all back theres no convincin them gw you are just doin the right thing.You are guilty till proven different now days.Darrell

Darrell, I told you to quit using them minners and getting them crappie gut hooked! loco_2

I'm always in a good mood when I'm fishing.
Kevin Kubiak
Lakes Somerville and Granger, crappie guide
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com
pro staff; proanglertackle.com

Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9728714 02/11/14 07:40 PM
D
Don G Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Lots of interesting comments. A few years ago a doe was hit and killed by a vehicle in front of my house late one night. I found her fawn in the ditch the next morning covered in fire ants and nearer death than life. We fed it a formula called Mothers Milk we purcheased at the local feed store and nursed it back to health. A few months later the GW spotted our grandson and the deer playing chase in the yard. He informed me he would be by later that afternoon and that the deer had better be gone. I told him of how we came to have the deer. His reply was it should have been left to die, let nature take its course. Point of my story; this is how a GW will look at it be it fish or deer. Throw it back or leave it where you find it.

Don G
Re: The law's the law [Re: Ketchn] #9729229 02/11/14 09:50 PM
bccougar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ketchn
silly question time .....how do ya get them silly lookin BIG OLE FROG EYES back in the head of the crappie OMG
I sort a think it ruins the visual capacity of the fish if it does survive the needle puncture ?

Fillet him and let the turtles take care of fixing his eye problems rolfmao

www.anglersprotackle.com -Anglers Pro Tackle Pro staff
www.doublezzcustomlures.com -Double ZZ Custom Lures
www.mercurymarine.com -Mercury Pro Staff
www.power-pole.com -Power-Pole Pro Staff
www.midwestmarineonline.com -Midwest Marine

Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9730813 02/12/14 12:21 PM
M
MrRoachie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
Would you rather keep an 8 inch fish or a 12 to14 incher?

Keeping 25 fish that are under 10 inches doesn't effect the breeders like keeping those in the 14 inch range.

God loves you just as much as anybody else!!

Jesus offered His life as a gift for you. Please accept it!
Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9730820 02/12/14 12:28 PM
Fishin Cowboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Good question. Google the subject on crappie air bladder venting and you'll find the location and how to puncture. No under sized fish in your live well and they live in MOST cases. Might need to change it up or move if all youre gettin is underlimit fish from that deep.

Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9731045 02/12/14 02:00 PM
C
Calico Bass Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
There are multiple ways to adjust a fish's air bladder to correct the issue of bringing up a fish too fast from deep depths. You could have researched them all on the web and understood them in the time you spent posting this poll question. If you're truly concerned for the fish and not simply wanting an excuse to keep illegal fish; do the research.

Calico Bass Kid
Re: The law's the law [Re: Don G] #9731531 02/12/14 04:07 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Don G
Lots of interesting comments. A few years ago a doe was hit and killed by a vehicle in front of my house late one night. I found her fawn in the ditch the next morning covered in fire ants and nearer death than life. We fed it a formula called Mothers Milk we purcheased at the local feed store and nursed it back to health. A few months later the GW spotted our grandson and the deer playing chase in the yard. He informed me he would be by later that afternoon and that the deer had better be gone. I told him of how we came to have the deer. His reply was it should have been left to die, let nature take its course. Point of my story; this is how a GW will look at it be it fish or deer. Throw it back or leave it where you find it.

A gm must obey and enforce the law as written. If he allows his personal opinion to hold sway he can be in serious legal trouble. And if he provides an opinion that conflicts with the law and somebody posts his opinion in an open forum such as this, he has serious problems with his superiors.

So a smart gm will always tell you to obey the law and will not provide any alternatives to obeying that law.

Re: The law's the law [Re: Calico Bass Kid] #9731567 02/12/14 04:16 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Calico Bass Kid
There are multiple ways to adjust a fish's air bladder to correct the issue of bringing up a fish too fast from deep depths. You could have researched them all on the web and understood them in the time you spent posting this poll question. If you're truly concerned for the fish and not simply wanting an excuse to keep illegal fish; do the research.

I think you are being a little bit harsh here.

The law recognizes these methods do not always work. This is why you must keep all crappie caught at Fork and LP during certain periods of the year.

Nothing will help gut hook fish if you are using a jig or lure. And I'm not sure cutting the line and leaving the hook, lure or jig in the fish will help a gut hooked fish survive.

Recognizing the problem and discussing the problem in forums such as this can be the first step in getting the problems resolved.

And if the law is changed to reflect the reality that these fish are going to die if released, then the fish are no longer illegal to keep.

Having said this, I prefer not to keep small fish. I only keep five crappie from each fishing trip and would hate to be told I must keep five small crappie instead of being allowed to keep larger fish. If I was forced to keep small crappie then I would need to keep more that five to have enough to make a meal. frown

Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9733691 02/13/14 03:23 AM
Ranger-188-2007 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Fizz the fish and he'll live. I do it all the time in the winter.

All fishermen are legends in their own minds! Ranger Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics,Motor guide, and all the tackle in the world.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/365bb712f56bc9c214b076b68/images/151584f3190d220.JPG
Re: The law's the law [Re: Fish Killer] #9734161 02/13/14 05:35 AM
D
Dak’s Guide Service Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: DaveB
Originally Posted By: bccougar
Waste of Fish It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die
without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.

That is straight from the 2013-2014 game regulations for Texas. Now how can you release a crappie that is dying just because he is 9". If you keep him you break the length limit, if you release him you break the waste of fish laws.

Anyone know a game warden or a state judge that could answer this?

Somehow I feel I should blame OBAMA for this!!!!

Kind of contradictory isn't it? I will give my game warden a call and ask about this.

How is it contradictory? The fish isn't of legal size so it doesn't qualify to be edible.

If the fish is short, then throw it back. And putting them in a cage to hold at a certain depth isn't a good idea either, since you have them in your possession

If your that concerned learn how to fizz one, even if your kill one out of 10 your atleast trying.

Strait from the TPWD website: Edible condition: Fit for human consumption, but does not include any portion of a game bird, game animal, or fish that is bruised ("bloodshot") by a bullet, shot, or arrow; otherwise destroyed as a result of harvest; decayed or rotting; or obviously infected or diseased.
Nowhere in the definition of edible does it say anything about size.
I would assume and have always followed that the best thing to do is just throw a short fish back, but this is definitely a gap in the regulations and should be addressed. Makes me wonder how many people have been ticketed for keeping a short fish that would've died.Unfortunately like someone has previously posted this could also start a huge problem for people who take advantage of the law.

1997 Ranger 392XT "Aggie"
2021 Sportsman Masters 227 “The Office”

Dak’s Guide Service 940-395-7838
daksguideservice.net
Lake Lewisville, Ray Roberts, and Texoma
Re: The law's the law [Re: ezgoing] #9734423 02/13/14 01:32 PM
C
Calico Bass Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Good Day EZgoing,

My apologies for coming across harsh that was not my intent. I am a firm believer in doing whatever is necessary to protect the resource. In this case, we are talking about a lake's crappie population. I am of the opinion that if it is necessary to do this, the governor authority(s) should outlaw catching crappie at certain times under certain conditions if doing otherwise puts the fish at risk of being injured or killed.

As anglers, the most important issue above all others should be protecting the species for the best future sustainable harvest. The laws are best written by fresh fish specie biologist who have study what to do to sustain a species in a given lake, not anglers who are not knowledgable of what's going on from one ecosystem to the other.

I am on your side completely in standing up against lawmakers who might be writing such laws from an uneducated vantage.

I apologize for coming across harsh; I was just offering my opinion. I believe as anglers we all need to focus on protecting the species first before considering how it effects our creels.

Respectfully,

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
Originally Posted By: Calico Bass Kid

I think you are being a little bit harsh here.

The law recognizes these methods do not always work. This is why you must keep all crappie caught at Fork and LP during certain periods of the year.

Nothing will help gut hook fish if you are using a jig or lure. And I'm not sure cutting the line and leaving the hook, lure or jig in the fish will help a gut hooked fish survive.

Recognizing the problem and discussing the problem in forums such as this can be the first step in getting the problems resolved.

And if the law is changed to reflect the reality that these fish are going to die if released, then the fish are no longer illegal to keep.

Having said this, I prefer not to keep small fish. I only keep five crappie from each fishing trip and would hate to be told I must keep five small crappie instead of being allowed to keep larger fish. If I was forced to keep small crappie then I would need to keep more that five to have enough to make a meal. frown

Calico Bass Kid
Re: The law's the law [Re: Calico Bass Kid] #9734636 02/13/14 02:41 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sounded like common sense to me. If you care educate yourself. We aren't reinventing the wheel. Fizz the fish and know you did your best.

I'm no sugar coater of the truth either. Maybe a fishing education class like the hunters education class. Hmmmm

Last edited by Tommy Ezell; 02/13/14 02:48 PM.
Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9734756 02/13/14 03:19 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If someone takes the fishing education comment to heart your to sensitive and self involved. I meant for all just like the hunters education class. Then all proceeds could be contributed to address some of the concerns stated threw out this thread.

Re: The law's the law [Re: bush hog] #9746002 02/17/14 06:41 PM
P
Patriot7Six Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I found this video on Youtube from the TPWD on fizzing...interesting for sure

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread