Print Thread
We can now use Non-tagged Kayaks/canoes in Oklahoma #9721572 02/09/14 08:47 PM
M
mstewart Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
As of January 1, 2014, Oklahoma no longer required Kayaks or Canoes (must have points on both ends)
to be registered in the state. Canoes with flat-backs, must still be registered.

Previously, they required that all Kayaks, Canoes, and even paddle boats be registered, and in Texas that cost the same as registering my regular Outboard boat (please correct me if that is wrong).

There are some nice clear lakes (Murray), and creeks (below the Broken bow dam) that I
had wanted to Kayak, but couldn't because my Texas Kayak's were not registered, or my Oklahoma Registered Kayak was expired (have better things to do on the weekend than drive up to Oklahoma
and stand in line to pay (it didn't cost much, less than $10) to register one of my OKC BPS purchased Kayaks to get the proof of non-stolen paper).

Looking forward to some Spring time exploring and fishing, and even more Kayaking in the Red river far below the Texoma Dam.

Re: We can now use Non-tagged Kayaks/canoes in Oklahoma [Re: mstewart] #9721911 02/09/14 10:57 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
We've paddled all over the LMF for years without any type of registration on our canoes and kayaks. We were never hassled in any way. On the occassions when we ran into games wardens, usually Mark Hannah, we showed our valid fishing licenses and PFD's and they smiled and said "enjoy".

Artie
Re: We can now use Non-tagged Kayaks/canoes in Oklahoma [Re: mstewart] #9724509 02/10/14 07:16 PM
M
mstewart Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Thanks Bass Art,

I spend a lot of time on Lake Thunderbird on the East side of Norman (when visiting my parents that live on that ugly red lake), and I hadn't Kayaked their in the past 4 years.
I thought it was odd, that even Tinker AirForce Base had to have all their Kayaks registered (my brother-in-law worked in base Recreatin department and would rent 6 kayaks for lake parties).

I repeatedly asked (on the 60G for requirements from Wardens in the Southern region (Jay, and even Dale), about this "registered/Tag" for Texas Kayaks, when Texas doesn't require a registration, and never received a response. I then called both the Tag agency and the OWC, and they both indicated the Registration/Tag was required, and not having the registration numbers was a violation.

I received the impression that the officials may ignore the fact that a Texas Angler's Kayak did not show their registration #, as long as they had a valid fishing license, but I would still be in violation, and it would be up the officials whether or not to issue a situation.

Oklahoma Lake Patrol, and even some Park officials can be very strict (especially during busy weekends -Wardens have always been polite) and issue a citation, especially when they see several Kayaks and one or those fails to display a registration number. That is no longer a concern.

Re: We can now use Non-tagged Kayaks/canoes in Oklahoma [Re: mstewart] #9724644 02/10/14 07:55 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
The only kayaks/canoes that had to be registered were those belonging to residents of Oklahoma. Those visiting from other states did not require registration. I've yak fished all over Oklahoma for years with no registration. I've had wardens check my fishing license and never say a word about anything else.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: We can now use Non-tagged Kayaks/canoes in Oklahoma [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9724758 02/10/14 08:28 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Jerry Hamon
The only kayaks/canoes that had to be registered were those belonging to residents of Oklahoma. Those visiting from other states did not require registration. I've yak fished all over Oklahoma for years with no registration. I've had wardens check my fishing license and never say a word about anything else.

That's my understanding as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide