Print Thread
Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX #9676230 01/24/14 08:59 PM
F
Fishalert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I still like using Navionic PC but after reinstalling on a new computer I can't upload my saved waypoints from my Humminbird 858. My GPS creates the file but the Navionics PC program won't upload them. Navionics doesn't support this software anymore but recommended I use GPS Bable to convert the hwr files to GPX and then select the GPX file to upload. I downloaded GPS Bable but I cant seem to get it to make a GPX file. I keep getting an error message. I've studied there instructions but I can't understand everything I should. Does anyone have any experience or know how to convert these files? Thanks for any help.

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: Fishalert] #9679105 01/26/14 06:56 AM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I'm currently running the Navionics PCAPP version 1.8.8.0

It should import many file-types including .HWR, .GPX and .USR

I've had more luck converting navdata between systems using USR.

GPX is an open standard, but Humminbird has added extensions to their GPX file structure(HumminbirdPC).

Last edited by LittleGazoo; 01/26/14 03:16 PM.
Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: LittleGazoo] #9679659 01/26/14 05:39 PM
F
Fishalert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I'm running the same NavionicsPC version as you are. Navionics customer service are the ones that recommended that I try GPSBabel to covert to GPX files. When I save my waypoints from my humminbird GPS they save as a hwr file. What about humminbirdPC, do they convert the hwr file to GPX? If so maybe I should install HumminbirdPC and get the converted file and then try to upload the GPX file into my NavionicsPC program. GPSBabel got back to me and said they are working on the problem and they should have a beta version soon that would handle my hwr to GPX file converting problem soon. Navionics has always had problems handling these hwr files. I've been using it for two or three years and I like it when it's working but every time I have to reinstall the program I have this same problem with uploading my waypoints. Navionis should have straightened out their problems years ago being they have known this problem exists. Thanks for your help

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: Fishalert] #9680254 01/27/14 12:39 AM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Your HB unit save your navdata when you export it to an SD-card.
Navdata exported will be in the MATRIX folder on the SD-card.

MATRIX folder will contain a DATA.HWR and maybe contain .HT files. DATAHWR contains your HB Waypoints and Routes. The .HT files will contain any HB Tracks if you have any.

HBPC can download the navdata in the MATRIX folder and will create a .GPX file.
HBPC can upload the navdata in a .GPX file back to the SD-card MATRIX folder for import back to your HB unit.

So yes HBPC can create a GPX file you can try to read with Navionics.

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: LittleGazoo] #9680290 01/27/14 12:52 AM
F
Fishalert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I don't know why but I have tried 3 times to download the HumminbirdPC program from their webbsite and it starts downloading a bunch of programs that I don't need then it never downloads HumminbirdPC. I don't know what the problem is. Never had that problem before with it. The reason I'm having to do all this is because I just installed a new SSD drive. Anyway, I sent Humminbird a message about the problem. Thanks for answering my questions about HBPC converting my files to GPX. That should work if I can ever get the HBPC program downloaded again. Thanks

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: Fishalert] #9680807 01/27/14 03:29 AM
F
Fishalert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Well, I finally got HumminbirdPC to install. I right clicked on the setup/binary file, clicked properties and selected, run as administrator, clicked OK and then it installed fine. Now tomorrow I'll export my waypoints to my SD card and try to upload to HumminbirdPC to get a GPX file. Just wanted to update anyone that may be following this.

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: Fishalert] #9681218 01/27/14 02:02 PM
F
Fishalert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I never got GPSBabel to recognize my hwr files but thanks to you I was able to get my waypoints uploaded to NavionicsPC. I used HumminbirdPC to convert the hwr files to GPX files and saved it to the SD card and then I was able to upload it to NavionicsPC. Thanks a lot for all your help. I've written out the instructions so the next time I do it I'll have the instructions. I forget everything when I don't do it very often. I've placed those instructions here in case anyone else may need them.

Transfering Waypoints from GPS to NavionicsPC
1. Convert hwr files to GPX files
Export waypoints from GPS to SD card. This gives you a DATA. hwr file.
2. Open HumminbirdPC and upload the SD card. This automatically converts
hwr file to GPX files.
3. Go into Documents and open folder My Humminbird PC and you will see
your new GPX file. Copy this GPX file and paste it back into your SD card.
4. Open NavionicsPC, go into Settings, Click retrieve from card, select
Humminbird waypoints and tracks, Select GPX, Select your SD card and
select your GPX file, Select Open and it's completed.

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: Fishalert] #9681516 01/27/14 03:39 PM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Fishalert
I don't know why but I have tried 3 times to download the HumminbirdPC program from their webbsite and it starts downloading a bunch of programs that I don't need then it never downloads HumminbirdPC. I don't know what the problem is. Never had that problem before with it.

Well, I finally got HumminbirdPC to install. I right clicked on the setup/binary file, clicked properties and selected, run as administrator, clicked OK and then it installed fine.

HumminbirdPC installer has a problem that HB has known about but not fixed.

The installer expands the HBPC files, then attempts to start the HBPC SETUP.EXE. Problem is if another setup.exe for some other program install is in that folder, then it will be started.
This might have been your install problem until you manually did it or you installed as an administrator. I cannot remember if you have to be an administrator, I wouldn't think so, but . . .

Glad you got it done.

Re: Using GPS Bable to convert hwr files to GPX [Re: LittleGazoo] #9681891 01/27/14 05:32 PM
F
Fishalert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
My install problem could have been that I download HBPC setup file to my storage drive. I've never had a problem with this before because when I click on the setup file in my download folder on my storage drive it installs to my C drive. I copied and Paste this HBPC setup file to my C drive, then I went into properties in the setup file and checked it to run as administrator and it done a clean install. Thanks again for your help. I'm happy now.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide