Page 1 of 2 1 2
Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? #9676940 01/25/14 02:40 AM
C
cuthand1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Throwing out a question! Been going to PA fishing for years and years since (1970). Getting toooo crowded with tourist etc.! Like fishing off shore for kings and lings etc. as well as between the jetties and cuts for bull reds in Oct. during the run! For those that have spent time at both give me your honest opinion between PA and PO as far as accomidations, fishing, crowds etc. I fish with my brother and sister-in-law in their 22 ft. Triton boat. Great boat! Thanks in advance! Craig

outdoorsman
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9677278 01/25/14 08:15 AM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
POC has gotten pretty crowded. Even Seadrift is busy. Not sure where you can go today that the moron population isn't growing.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9677391 01/25/14 01:29 PM
M
Marshall Lucky Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I just got back from Port O'Connor and had a blast. Caught trout, reds, and sheepshead. The only downside is that it is a smaller town and therefore fewer choices for lodging and restaurants.

If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9679403 01/26/14 03:12 PM
K
KQT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
For offshore in your boat I would be more inclined to fish PO. There use to be more near shore rigs off PO, not sure if they have removed most of them like they have off PA. I know they are disappearing off PA and the ones left are too far out for your boat. Aside from messing around the very near shore rigs when the blue water moves in, we head to the rocks and rigs 30+ miles out.

Common carp 26
Goldfish 9.78lb
Mirror Koi 14lb
Koi 16lb
Channel Catfish 26lbs
Blue Cat 30lb
Bass 9.5lb
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9679545 01/26/14 04:26 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
I will tell you that big tuna schooner boat out of POC, you have few options. Takes a decent shallow water ability to take advantage of what's there.

Pretty well turn left towards the jettys, that's about it.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: KQT] #9685003 01/28/14 05:18 PM
S
Spondoly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
KQT I know what you mean about the rigs disappearing. The last trip out in the gulf at Port A, which was last September, we went 16 miles are so to a platform (Mu-726-a) and caught some Kings, one Ling, and a few other things. Went from there to StandPipe and headed south and hit every pipe and platform there was all the way to about Mayan Princess Resort area halfway to Packery. Caught several Kings, Beeliners etc. There are still several platforms in this area. I have a 22 foot Triton Seaflight. Love to go fishing at Port A. It is just crowded with none fisherman. Checked out Port O'Conner this past weekend. I only saw one place you can launch at a public ramp. Looked it over and that public ramp area is real narrow and I could visualize a real nightmare bottleneck getting boat in and out of the water. The rest of the ramps you have to pay to launch. You have a hard time even seeing the water along the intercoastal canal at Port O. Private property all along the water front. I know once on the water the fishing would be good and certain areas would be boat specific... true for any area.

Pat Goff I like you comment about moron population growing......now that's a good one!!!!

Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9693299 01/31/14 02:20 AM
C
cuthand1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Hard to believe out of 310 views only 3 people have stayed /fished both PA and PO. Dont be shy tell your story!

outdoorsman
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9694203 01/31/14 02:32 PM
D
Dryberry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
That's funny (3/310) cuthand. :0) Seems no one likes giving up their "secret" fishing spots. I have also noticed that no-one on this forum posts. Pretty sad, and takes the fun out of the entire website. On the 'hunting forum' hundreds of posters are regular, and in turn is full of information & questions. People on here need to be (more) part of the site.

I have only been out of P. Aransas on several party boats, so can not compare 'oconnor. I was seriously looking into buying a gulf boat to launch at 'oconnor, but from the info I dug up sounds like there isn't much out there to fish without going 20+ miles. So I'll just stay in my boat on San Antonio bay. And yes, the Seadrift launches are busy on weekends. I have never tried Charlies, which looks deep, but the other 2 need to be dredged out bad.

Dryberry was the last lake God created, and it took the entire seventh day.

Dryberry Lake, Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9694393 01/31/14 03:43 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Both areas have their pro's and con's. I personally would probably pic POC with your boat. That boat can be used in saluraia bayou, west matagoda, the deeper areas of espirito santo, as well as the jetties and offshore. There's a lot of channels that I wouldn't run it, but you could get around and in some cases you may have to take the long way around but you could do it. That's only for the bay fishing though...if you are going off shore, hitting the bayou, or the jetties, you're good to go. It is still pretty busy though.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: TroutSupport.com] #9694500 01/31/14 04:22 PM
S
Spondoly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for your thoughts TroutSupport. Both Port O and Port A can be really great fishing. It seems that you just have to work at it a little more some days. But, that's why they call it fishing and not catching...... I guess. Dryberry I do not know what kind of boat you have, but you would enjoy your trip into the gulf at Port A or Port O in your own boat. In my opinion, there is no comparison to a party boat. I got spoiled very quickly. We always locate the fish, it might take a little while that's all. We hit the oil platforms, tankers, shrimpboats, etc. If you chum...they will come !!!! The farthest I have went out in my boat is about 20 miles offshore, but have ran around out there over 50 miles in one day. Let me know and maybe we can buddy boat sometime.

Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9694506 01/31/14 04:26 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I find it hard to believe that you're finding crowded conditions in October at either location. For years (until our kids started school), we headed to Port A in late September for a week of vacation. Always seemed a lot more deserted then as compared to the summer months, especially during the week. Never had a problem with getting accomodations or restaurants. Prices for hotels and such are usually cheaper too due to the lower tourism. Now, summer months can be a little more crowded, especially on weekends. We don't have access to a boat unless my buddy happens to be in town so we generally fish the surf in the summer. If you venture south of Port A a couple of miles, you will find a lot of open beach and virtually no crowd during the weekdays. It's not unusual to not have another vehicle within 1/4 mile on either side of you!

Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9694568 01/31/14 04:53 PM
D
Dryberry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks for the Buddy invite Spondoly! But... I am just running a 20' johnboat in the bay here, and I don't think I'll be going around that corner into the gulf with it. smile Maybe I'll get a bigger boat in the near future.

Dryberry was the last lake God created, and it took the entire seventh day.

Dryberry Lake, Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: Dryberry] #9695121 01/31/14 08:35 PM
S
Spondoly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Look me up when you get your new boat Dryberry, The offer still stands. It is not as crowded after Labor Day. But more people than you might think though. People are bringing their golf carts down there on trailers to run around town and on the beach the past few years. It all takes up parking space at the motels and parking spots. I like the motto "If you don't have a boat or a rod/reel with you..... stay off the island". But, I know others like to have fun too and I know local business owners would disagree with me. But, darn it!

Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9695178 01/31/14 08:55 PM
P
pcde123 Offline
Angler
Angler
P
the fish are there in both spots, assuming your fishing off shore i would go with port oconnor, there is a little more variety in port oconnor , and al though the crowd is not the best , offshore is a big world and all you have to do is find a good secret spot.

Re: Port Aransas -VS- Port Oconner Whats your thoughts? [Re: cuthand1] #9696966 02/01/14 04:23 PM
C
cuthand1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
scott01 maybe i did not state the question correct. We my brother (Spondoly) fish at PA 3-4 times a year from June through Oct. Starting with Kings etc. in Summer and ending with the reds in Oct. You are correct. October is not bad as far as crowds go. July and August is a differant story. Spondoly scouted out PO last weekend and decided we will probly stay at PA. Thats ok I will just have to work on my people skills and overlook stupid! Can't fix it anyway! The older I get the less I like people!!!! Thanks for all the opinions !!!

outdoorsman
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide