Page 1 of 2 1 2
Monster Gar! #9637459 01/11/14 03:42 AM
C
Calo Catter Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Ok have not actually caught him yet but hoping that's where you guys might be able to help me. I understand the summer months are the best but can only fit in a spring river trip. Me and a buddy will be fishing March 13th thru the 16th and targeting BIG gator gars. It's like a sickness...I have been thinking about landing the big one 24/7 and cant concentrate on anything else. Hope you guys might be able share some knowledge and expertise on the following:

* Will rope lures catch alligator gar? (specifically the big ones)

* Looks like the full moon will be on March 16th. What should we expect in terms of gar feeding activity?

* Not including rope lures, has anyone had success with artificial lures?

* In terms of bait how you would rank the following in terms of most effective to least effective:
-Mullet head
-Cut mullet body
-Entire mullet (dead)
-Live Mullet
-Live Goldfish
-Cut Carp
-Live perch
-Cut perch

Any help or feedback you guys are able to provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9637955 01/11/14 01:29 PM
N
Nick220722 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I think you should try big dead baits. Either cut carp or buffalo and either whole mullet or 1/2 mullet depending on the size. I'd recommend leaving all types of lures at home. Fish 24/7 if you can, you've got nothing to lose but doing that.

PB Buff - 56lbs
PB Common - 26lbs
PB Mirror - 7lbs
PB Grasser - 45lbs
PB Koi - 10lbs

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9639737 01/12/14 03:00 AM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I hear ya man!! This summer, if I can get my bro-n-law to go with me, I'm gonna try gator gar fishin the Trinity in my yak. Ought to be a ride!

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9640195 01/12/14 08:17 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Rope lures, smaller baits such as sunfish, bluegills, etc, are fine when you're going after Longnose Gar. But if you're targeting Alligator Gar you'll need some serious bait and serious tackle. Personally, I would not recommend going after them from a Kayak. The videos I've seen where they are catching them from a Kayak are actually VERY impressive, but they cut the line on the bigger ones because there is simply no way to boat them by themselves. Why not use a Kayak to scout some locations out and then simply fish for them at the bank? Bait wise, cut buffalo is the preferred cut bait for agar but Carp works fine as well. The fresher the better. wink

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: dmunsie] #9640837 01/12/14 06:07 PM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: dmunsie
Personally, I would not recommend going after them from a Kayak. The videos I've seen where they are catching them from a Kayak are actually VERY impressive, but they cut the line on the bigger ones because there is simply no way to boat them by themselves.

Well I not doing by myself but hey if myself and another person or two can't get it up in the boat for a pic then we'll cut loose to.

Quote:
Why not use a Kayak to scout some locations out and then simply fish for them at the bank?

Simply cause that's not what I want to do.

What kind of yak do you fish out of?

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9642747 01/13/14 01:32 PM
N
Nick220722 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I think you'll have a hard time with them in a yak. If you want to catch one from a kayak, go ahead but finish landing him on shore. Sharp scales, sharp teeth, and hearty fish don't make for a good combination on your lap.

Also, depending on what size you are the fish is, and your yak is, you may exceed the weight carrying capacity of your yak.

Also, depending on the size of the fish your yak may want to tip vs allow you to pull the fish in over the side...

PB Buff - 56lbs
PB Common - 26lbs
PB Mirror - 7lbs
PB Grasser - 45lbs
PB Koi - 10lbs

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9643802 01/13/14 07:37 PM
C
clay83 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Calo Catter
Ok have not actually caught him yet but hoping that's where you guys might be able to help me. I understand the summer months are the best but can only fit in a spring river trip. Me and a buddy will be fishing March 13th thru the 16th and targeting BIG gator gars. It's like a sickness...I have been thinking about landing the big one 24/7 and cant concentrate on anything else. Hope you guys might be able share some knowledge and expertise on the following:

* Will rope lures catch alligator gar? (specifically the big ones)

* Looks like the full moon will be on March 16th. What should we expect in terms of gar feeding activity?

* In terms of bait how you would rank the following in terms of most effective to least effective:
-Mullet head
-Cut mullet body
-Entire mullet (dead)
-Live Mullet
-Live Goldfish
-Cut Carp
-Live perch
-Cut perch

Thanks

Andrew

You will not be doing yourself a favor fishing with rope lures for a big gator gar. March is a bit early but I have caught them earlier than March. I would find someone that bowfishes and have them shoot you several mid size carp or buffalo and cut them up in 3rds. We use big bait because we are after big fish, this does not mean smaller 4' type fish wont take the bait but at that time of year bigger will be better. Mullet will work as I have caught a lot of good fish on whole gizzard shad, set out several rods with several different type baits and see what is working best. Good luck

Clay

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9645419 01/14/14 03:36 AM
C
Carpfisher Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I consistently catch big gar on 5 inch mullet. I use a small stick and thread the leader through the fish and it should be mouth down over a strong treble. I use 65 lb to 80 lb spiderwire/braid on an inshore rod with HD spinning reel. I wait until I see them rolling near a spillway and patience is the virtue. Bait depends on what they have swimming around them. match it. Trinity river has huge gar so does the intercoastal waterway near high island. Monsters around here.

Trying to catch anything that swims.
Commons, Buffs, whatever....
Wild Carp Club-Houston
Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9652707 01/16/14 04:46 PM
L
Lusca Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I think you'll find the rope lures are only effective for longnose gar. I've had good results with large gizzard shad, carp, mullet, buffalo in that order of preference. Most of mine have been over 6', but I've found 20-30# mono to be plenty along with a wire or heavy mono leader. I like a 9/o "J" style hook with the barb mashed flat. BKT, I fought and landed this one from my kayak, but beached it for photo's and the release. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8995905/Alligator_gar#Post8995905

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: BKT] #9653249 01/16/14 08:06 PM
T
ToneyC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: BKT
I'm gonna try gator gar fishin the Trinity in my yak. Ought to be a ride!

If you're going to do this, I would recommend using a long rod. It will make it easier to switch from side to side without getting the line caught on the bow. A huge fish will dart under your yak quick and HARD and if you can't get the line to the other side in a hurry, you're probably going for a swim. Should be fun though!!

It was hard to control this big girl and I was in a 16 foot jon boat so be careful and good luck.

And remember, go fishing when you can, cause it's good fer you! -- Richard Gene the fishing machine
Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9659671 01/19/14 05:20 AM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Nice fish!!

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: BKT] #9662525 01/20/14 01:22 PM
T
ToneyC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: BKT
Nice fish!!

Thank you sir, they are fun to catch!

And remember, go fishing when you can, cause it's good fer you! -- Richard Gene the fishing machine
Re: Monster Gar! [Re: ToneyC] #9673162 01/23/14 07:33 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
SEE REPLIES IN ALL CAPS BELOW

Ok have not actually caught him yet but hoping that's where you guys might be able to help me. I understand the summer months are the best but can only fit in a spring river trip. Me and a buddy will be fishing March 13th thru the 16th and targeting BIG gator gars. It's like a sickness...I have been thinking about landing the big one 24/7 and cant concentrate on anything else. I KNOW THE FEELING! Hope you guys might be able share some knowledge and expertise on the following:

* Will rope lures catch alligator gar? (specifically the big ones)- NOT BIG ONES, THIS IF FOR LONGNOSE AND THE OTHER SMALLER SPECIES

* Looks like the full moon will be on March 16th. What should we expect in terms of gar feeding activity?- I HAVE SEEN ONE CLOSE TO 100LBS IN THE SHALLOWS IN THE BRAZOS IN NOVEMBER WITH A 10LB BUFFALO IN ITS MOUTH, SO I KNOW THEY ARE FEEDING. IT SWAM WITHIN FEET OF ME WHILE DRAGGING MY KAYAK AND SCARED THE YOU KNOW WHAT OUT OF ME. HOWEVER, MOST GUIDES CONCENTRATE ON THEM IN THE SUMMER MONTHS AS THEY CAN BE SPOTTED "ROLLING" OR TAKING IN AIR ON THE SURFACE. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS, BUT THEY DO IT MUCH MORE OFTEN IN THE SUMMERS THUS MAKING THEM EASIER TO SPOT. BIG ALLIGATOR GAR ARE AT THE ABSOLUTE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN AND WHILE THEY DON'T EAT THAT MUCH COMPARATIVELY, THE RIVERS CANNOT SUPPORT THAT MANY PER MILE RELATIVE TO SAY CATFISH. THE GUIDES WILL SCOUT FOR THEM ROLLING AND THEN QUIETLY RETURN TO THE AREA AND BAIT UP. USUALLY IN SHARP BEND WITH SLACK, DEEP WATER. THEY WILL SPOOK EASILY. BE QUIET.

-Mullet head
-Cut mullet body
-Entire mullet (dead)
-Live Mullet
-Live Goldfish- HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CURIOUS ABOUT THIS
-Cut Carp- HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN THIS CATCH MULTIPLE 60-80 LB FISH
-Live perch- HAVE SEEN THIS USED BY A NUMBER OF FISHERMAN TARGETING THEM IN THE TRINITY
-Cut perch

PLEASE APPRECIATE THESE UNIQUE FISH AND CONSERVE THEIR NUMBERS. MOST STATES
AND MEXICO HAVE ELIMINATED THEM THROUGH DAM BUILDING AND OVER FISHING. TEXAS
HOLDS FAR MORE THAN ANY OTHER STATE OF THOSE THAT ARE LEFT, BUT THEIR NUMBERS ARE DECLINING HERE AS
WELL. THE LARGER FEMALES TAKE 11 YEARS BEFORE THEY ARE READY TO SPAWN AND AT LEAST SEVERAL DECADES
MORE TO GROW TO TRULY LARGE SIZE. THEY ARE TRULY LIVING DINOSAURS THAT DATE
BACK TO AT LEAST THE CRETACEOUS PERIOD. PLEASE KEEP THESE THINGS
IN MIND BEFORE SHOOTING ONE WITH A BOW FOR FUN.

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9673477 01/23/14 09:18 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
"IN THE SUMMER MONTHS AS THEY CAN BE SPOTTED "ROLLING" OR TAKING IN AIR ON THE SURFACE. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS, BUT THEY DO IT MUCH MORE OFTEN IN THE SUMMERS"

To gulp fresh air since the water quality in Summer is worse due to slow moving or stagnant water.

Re: Monster Gar! [Re: Calo Catter] #9674755 01/24/14 08:17 AM
D
DalMichaelLas Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Great info, can't wait for prime river fishing months.

I hate fishing and texas, but love tff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide