Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Orange Spinner Bait Technique #9431078 10/26/13 01:20 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I had a conversation last night with one of my customers who ask a question that will be very helpful to those who are not fair weather fisherman.

Some of you guys fish tournaments and others interested in putting the larges stringer of your life in the boat will be able to use this technique.

Kerry ask, what to look for while throwing the orange spinner bait during inclement weather which he believed was rolling in today. Although I have not seen those conditions severe enouth this morning to make the huge bass group up. Light showers just want help much.

It takes a hard hitting weather change for this to work.
Here is the kind of area you want to look for; and this is the first thing I do on each lake. I find the heaviest cover it has right next to the creek channel. This needs to be heavy wood and stumps with grass mixed in. This will provide them with the most secure area they can find. They will be grouped up in one spot and many times they will all be huge Bass.

If the lake does not offer that then the retaining walls that has the heaviest grass along the wall with the deepest water out in the cove or creek leading into that cove will give the cover.

If you do not know where these places are already then you are to a disadvantage. On each lake make sure you know where these spots are. Saver those spots. When you win a tournament off of one of them do not tell anyone where it is and never go there to fish except under stormy conditions. You will have a repeat every time at the same place year after year.

I have so much confidence in this pattern; If I had to look for the spot during the tournament then that is what I would do. Just ride and find them. Fish through them as fast as you can. If you don't get bit in 10 minutes going through the heaviest area then move to the next one.

There want be any question about it when you find it. They are so aggressive you will have 5 big bass in 30 minutes. Get a rope or clip on the front cleat of the boat so you can tie up and fan fish the area. The wind will do a number on the Bass if you let it blow your boat around and start bouncing of of trees. Once you find them clip up and fish every inch. Then move forward a cast length and tie up again.

I use 25 lb. XPS Floro. line for this. Braid just does not work for me in the wind. Make short cast so there is no chance of a 8 to 10 lb. Bass taking you around a log or stump. Again keep moving until you catch one, tie up and fan fish the area for no more than 10 mins., then take off on the move again until you catch another and keep repeating until you hit the mother load.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9431186 10/26/13 02:19 PM
T
Tree_Fish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I'd love to fish with you sometime Mr. Harper!

[Linked Image]
Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9431605 10/26/13 06:02 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Contact Mike Reyanga out on the west side. He and his wife own the laundry out there on Univ. and Moss. Fish with Mike on Ivie and Amistad he knows all my techniques and has fished with me for 25 years in both lakes and over 10 years in Mexico.

I am going in for double hip replacement and will be down for 2 months strarting in Nov.. I just hope everything is well for our Mexico trips in Jan., Feb, and March. Mike will be the next best man to replace me. After that you and I will get together.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9432258 10/26/13 11:40 PM
F
fordnut Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Caught my PB on a orange spinnerbait right after a major storm on a hydrilla covered point next to some thick woods. Good luck with your surgery and wish for a speedy recovery Mr Harper.

[Linked Image]

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9432880 10/27/13 03:27 AM
jcarring99 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Contact Mike Reyanga out on the west side. He and his wife own the laundry out there on Univ. and Mosss . Fish with Mike on Ivie and Amistad he knows all my techniques and has fished with me for 25 years in both lakes and over 10 years in Mexico.

I am going in for double hip replacement and will be down for 2 months strarting in Nov.. I just hope everything is well for our Mexico trips in Jan., Feb, and March. Mike will be the next best man to replace me. After that you and I will get together.

Just curious as to who is doing your surgery?

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
email: joel@carringtonroofingdfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
For financing click: https://app.gethearth.com/partners/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonroofingdfw.com
Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9433380 10/27/13 12:19 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I am having it done at Texas Hip and Knee in Fort Worth. Dr. Crofford will do the surgery.

I hope this takes place. Went in for the chest xray Pre Opp. and my family Dr. says I have Pneumonia. Now I am on some powerful stuff to get rid of that and it will be down to the wire to get clearance. I take another xray on Wednesday. So they may not let me in the door.

When it rains it pours.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Tree_Fish] #9433701 10/27/13 03:03 PM
J
Jamoke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Tree_Fish
I'd love to fish with you sometime Mr. Harper!

100+ always great advice freely given, Thanks again, this is why I love this site. People like you Mr. Harper!!!

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9433869 10/27/13 04:21 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Never heard of this technique but I'm definitely gonna be giving this a try.

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9434219 10/27/13 07:06 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
We all have been caught in an upper level disturbance while fishing. Most fishermen will either stay home or get off the water because it is going to be a miserable day and the bite seems to just shut down. Actually the exact opposite is happening. The huge Bass are not on a feeding pattern. They are grouping together and being just absolutely aggressive. The bait is one that I spent years tweaking so it will catch the big Bass that are so active during inclement weather.

Lighting: It was 1972 in the Ohio River Challenge Tournament. Bad weather set in before day break as I left the launch sit. There was lots of lighting and rain coming straight down, but not much wind. I had a 10 mile run to a creek that fed into one of the many oxbow lakes on the Ohio. Once I entered the creek I had to shut down and idle about a mile through the old channel that had once been dredged to let flood water out and off the adjoining farm lands. There were still many logs and lay downs to maneuver around and over to get back to the Cyprus Groves.

Back in that day the trolling motor plug didnt have the quarter turn locking system as they do today. Anyway mine was a home made job. I had just turned into shoot #1 when a bolt of lighting hit the boat. It missed me thank goodness, but knocked the plug out of the socket on the front deck and fire flew out of it a foot long. I thought to my self, oh man I am going to be clipping up all day and fan fishing which was nothing new to me. When I got to the big grove of Cyprus and plugged the trolling motor back in and stepped on the hot button which was a dimmer switch for a car, the batteries were so hot it almost threw me out of the boat. I never saw so much power out of that motor. It was on 3 and was twice as fast as it once was.

The main storm passed quickly but was still lighting all around when I started making cast. When I caught that first Bass I clipped up to the first Cyprus Knee and began fan fishing. In just a little over one hour on that one Cyprus tree with 21 knees sticking up all around I pulled 10 huge bass out for 62 lbs. That was my first win in Kentucky and was the beginning of many more big stringers during stormy condition. Yes, back in the day it was a 10 fish limit.

Any upper level disturbance will work if you know where to go.
Weather Conditions to look forward to:
-Fast moving thunder storm.
-Thunder and lighting in the distance but dead calm where you are.
-Heavy fog with thunder.
-Sudden drop in temperature, like 20 degrees and wind.
-Early Spring sleet and snow storm.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9434701 10/27/13 08:54 PM
A
AUBREY EVANS Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Where can I find orange spinner baits? I live in Tyler Tx. Some where to order would be helpful.. I used this years ago on Palestine.

Thanks

Aubrey

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9434731 10/27/13 09:03 PM
T
Tree_Fish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Contact Mike Reyanga out on the west side. He and his wife own the laundry out there on Univ. and Moss. Fish with Mike on Ivie and Amistad he knows all my techniques and has fished with me for 25 years in both lakes and over 10 years in Mexico.

Sounds good, I'll give him a shout. I'll be looking forward to it, godspeed with your recovery!

[Linked Image]
Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9434764 10/27/13 09:13 PM
B
Beast From The East Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Great story and info. Why was this topic moved?

Re: Orange Spinner Bait Technique [Re: Donald Harper] #9434918 10/27/13 10:47 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
They don't like you talking about techniques on the BASS FISHING section on the products that you sell. That is my guess.

So here are some pictures of some nice bass my partner and I caught in the same spot during a thunder storm with sleet covering the deck of the boat. Thunder storms rolled through evey day for three streight days.

Websiite Sponsors:

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide