Forums59
Topics1,037,829
Posts13,935,210
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: BassMaster Payne] #9299021 09/09/13 03:29 AM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: BassMaster Payne
Why does it seem that everyone looks down on sit inside kayaks? I fish just fine with mine and catch just as many fish and maneuver just as well as anyone else does with a sit on top.

There is no perfect kayak. There are kayaks better suited to the paddler, There are kayaks better suited to conditions and there are kayaks better suited to the task at hand. There is not and there never will be a kayak that will work for everyone and every situation. A SINK can be just as efficient a fishing maching as a SOT. All depends on how you use it.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9306326 09/11/13 06:45 PM
J
Jeaux Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Finally

SN at least use the proper acronym SIS.
I have never sinked either.

/;-{)
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9334513 09/21/13 03:29 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Be very careful loading and unloading your kayak on top of vehicle on windy days. Its best to park vehicle directly up or downwind. When wind blows near perpendicular your kayak is more likely to be blown off vehicle before you get it strapped down as there is more surface area to be blown. I've had mine blown off of cradles and out of J racks. You're also more likely to be screwed into the ground as your kayak helicopters as you lift it overhead. When this happens its best to just toss it on the ground, jump back, and start over. rolfmao

If you insist on lifting with wind perpendicular, at least load it from the side where kayak blows off the other side of vehicle and not back on to you. Learned the hard way.

Last edited by lconn4; 09/21/13 03:32 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9363842 10/02/13 02:15 AM
Hoghunter36 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Any one who plans on fishing marshes or bays with reeds or high grass needs to always use a flag. Especially during duck season!

There is nothing more scary than hearing a airboat headed your way and praying it doesn't hit you . A flag can save your life!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Hoghunter36] #9397558 10/14/13 08:04 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
For anyone just starting out, learn how to get in and out of your kayak under differnt conditions. Knowing where to put your hands to offset weight transfer, using your paddle to know depth and hardness of bottom where you plan to get out or get in, being extra careful not to slip when using boat ramps. Not taking out fishing equipment or minimizing what you take at first is also advised. Learn to sit side saddle so that you can access stuff that you can't reach from the normal sitting position. Crawl around cockpit to see if you can access front hatch. Knowing what you can do and being confident you can do it goes a long way towards a more enjoyable kayak fishing experience and might save you a dump or two early on.

Lots of good you tube videos under how to launch a kayak.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9416392 10/21/13 03:18 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Really good article here explaining some of the more scientific kayak terminology: http://www.theimpracticalfishermen.com/2013/10/kayak-hull-designs.html

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9560858 12/13/13 02:14 AM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
How fast is a "fast" yak? I'm talking something you'd fish out of with same person and same paddle. Yaks in the same class to an really could be compared. I read comparos or reviews and it seems its always mentioned one is faster than the other but they never say how much faster.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9670432 01/22/14 08:26 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Another great self rescue/re-entry video.

CLICK HERE

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9744958 02/17/14 07:08 AM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Thinking of getting a kayak soon. I'm curious as to which type of kayak tips the easiest a sit on or sit in? Not worried about getting wet just don't want to go for a swim when I go out. Sit in seems to have lower center of gravity but I would rather hear from people who know. I'm sure it depends on the kayak's design as each company's kayak is a little different. But just in general which is most stable?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Fisherman13] #9745929 02/17/14 06:21 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
The truth is there are very stable sit in and sit on top kayaks. You will see throughout this forum that we recommend that you test paddle a number of kayaks before you buy one. That would be my suggestion once again. Pick a few kayaks that you think might be of interest and setup a demo with a local dealer where you can try them out before you invest in one.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: BKT] #9799961 03/06/14 03:23 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BKT
How fast is a "fast" yak? I'm talking something you'd fish out of with same person and same paddle. Yaks in the same class to an really could be compared. I read comparos or reviews and it seems its always mentioned one is faster than the other but they never say how much faster.

You know, a fast stock kayak your looking at 5-6 at a short sprint. Some people go for a fast "not as stable kayak" Ie..Adventure,Tarpon, But some go for a slower kayak that's more stable. If you have ever paddled a wide kayak you will understand and "feel" of the difference in speed. It's the effort to move the kayak that can be exhausting at the end of the day. Can you go 7miles a day in any kayak...Maybe....Are there better kayak suited then others for longer a distance/speed...Absolutely...!!!
For example, go get a Native Frontier and take it out on a paddle with a group of people in Ride 135's. There is nothing wrong with the Frontier if your looking for stability. But speed might also be relevant with who your fishing with.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9869770 03/31/14 06:18 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think I stay a lot drier in mi SIK
that is why I chose sit in, to duck hunt from
carry a large sponge & use that for bailing

I am going to purchase a SOT for fishing this summer, so I can get wet

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9870087 03/31/14 08:03 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I read through all of this and didn't find anything about maintenance. What's the best way to store one, and what's the most practical way to store one (dragging a 13 foot kayak into the house and giving it it's own bedroom isn't going to happen). Anything else need to be done to it regularly to keep it in tiptop shape?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9870161 03/31/14 08:26 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Store inside away from sunlight; UV rays are bad for plastic.

I have three kayaks and all three are kept differently. My Search 15 is rarely used up here, so I keep it tilted up on its side against the wall in my garage. One kayak is kept right-side up on my trailer due to its hull design, the other is also kept on my trailer but is upside down (the deck is on the cross bars) because it is the best way for that hull for storage and travel.

If you are using straps to hang along the wall or to pull up to the ceiling do not suspend by the handles. Align the straps so that each strap is 1/3 of the way from the ends. (Basically you'll have the front third, then a strap, middle third, next strap, and then last third). When suspending from the ceiling it's usually best to flip the kayak upside down so that when you're looking up to the kayak you'll see the deck. The deck of the kayak is stiffer than the hull and it won't flex as much. Depending on the kayak though you may have to leave it ride -side up. DO NOT HANG FROM THE BOW AND STERN HANDLES! It will cause the kayak to banana or oil can in the Texas heat.

After fishing it's best to rinse off the kayak to remove mud and whatnot that could stain the plactic. After every few trips you can wipe it down with 303 Protectant (a UV Blocker). Also, when storing make sure to open all the hatches to allow the inside to air out, even though the kayak doesn't leak it may get some condensation so it's good to open the hatches.

I tend to replace the bungees when they show signs of wear too.

Last edited by Neumie; 03/31/14 08:27 PM.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9894606 04/09/14 06:00 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
ive taken them to the Manual car wash.
the spray gun makes quick work of all mud, slime, sand and fish scales.
a little 303 like josh says will keep it protected between washes.
mine will see the carwash at least 1 x per yr. lake water and a hand rub most times.
the more scales and slime the better wink

name brand yaks r pretty tuff.
still some brands r tuffer than others IMO.
just dont strap em down too tight or theyll warp or crack.
most manufatures will suggest u store them on their sides or stand them up.
my xfactor lays flat on the floor. usually transport upside down.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide