Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Wildlife Management areas #8944408 05/18/13 01:03 AM
13MWZ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Who owns/manages the Wildlife Management areas? I've seen a few around Waco with signs that say permits are required for hunting but I can find any real info on them. Not looking to hunt them but would like to hike around, explore and of course fish. Just want to make sure I can with out having my Jeep hauled away, ticketed, arrested or anything. I'm not looking to trespass or be where I shouldn't but looking at them on Google Earth there looks like some interesting areas. Is it TPWD or Corps of Engineers maybe?

.`..`..`...><(((>
Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8944899 05/18/13 03:30 AM
D
drum Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
most wild life areas that have signs will have a number or contact info if not get the number of the local warden and ask.
you can get the list of wardens on line.

Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8944934 05/18/13 03:46 AM
G
Gom Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Texas Parks and Wildlife has links to all the state owned and Managed Wildlife areas on their website. just google Texas Parks and Wildlife. You will find info about each wildlife area, maps, phone numbers for each unit. It tells you what activities are allowed in each unit and what kiind of permits you will need.

Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8945696 05/18/13 02:44 PM
S
standalone Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Check Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit. Allows you to access areas for hiking, camping and fishing. Can find information on the TPWD site.

Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8945797 05/18/13 03:21 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Your question...Who owns/manages the Wildlife Management areas?
All the people of the State of Texas owns the lands by public tax dollars and federal tax dollars..we state and federal do and we just get to use them..They manage all the areas..THEY ARE...
Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept --and--->
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service--- and-->
U.S. Department of U.S.Army Corps of Engineers....
You can fish all of them that have rivers,streams,ponds with a State fishing license...and some you do not need a fishing license to fish some state parks unless fishing for trout then you need a trout permit/stamp.Each park system is different and different rules will and do apply...
Hunting by most state parks is a drawing hunt by permit only..check Texas parks & wildlife for Annual public controlled hunts...
..hunting around lakes in Texas is by U.S Army Corps.of Engineers
and you have to check with each field lake location office to obtain a permit to hunt..duck,goose,hogs,,whatever..most are by shotgun ONLY or archery for hog..Deer hunts are controlled hunts and are by drawing on most Texas lakes and lands and are archery....some have deer hunting and most do not..US Fish and Wildlife are in there as well but not so seen..you better check each area lake/land and have their permit for species hunted sought..they will fine you heany or jail or both if you are not in correct license permits of state and federal..Archery-on most and all you have to have and pass a -state archery certification class and have certificate in hand when getting permit or applying..There is allowed by the state..Public Hunting on 44 State Park land Sites by the state..Public Hunting Permit program for a $48 annual permit hunting access license to hunt public in Texas parks during seasons only..
cowboy

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG FISH"

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni
Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8945807 05/18/13 03:26 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
HERE**

Nearly half of the sites in the Texas State Parks system will conduct public hunts during the 2009-2010 hunting season. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved scheduled hunts on 44 state park units at its May 28 public hearing.
Most of the state parks approved for public hunting will be offered through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Departments computer drawings for a variety of game and hunting options, including new youth opportunities. Selected hunting opportunities on state parks comprise 1,676 hunt positions, including 253 for youth, out of nearly 5,000 total positions available in this years special drawings for hunts on public lands in Texas.
Three new park units are included in this years offerings: Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Lake Texana State Park and Stephen F. Austin State Park. Three other units are returning to the hunt schedule, including: Pedernales Falls State Park, Pedernales Falls SP Annex and Mother Neff State Park. A complete summary of approved state park hunts, including hunt type and date, is available on the TPWD Web site.
Other state parks where public hunts will take place are: Atlanta; Big Bend Ranch; Brazos Bend; Caprock Canyons; Choke Canyon North Shore Unit; Colorado Bend; Cooper Lake South Sulphur Unit; Copper Breaks; Davis Mountains; Devils River; Devils Sinkhole; Enchanted Rock; Fairfield Lake; Fort Boggy; Garner; Guadalupe River; Guadalupe River Bauer Unit; Hill Country; Honey Creek; Huntsville; Inks Lake/Longhorn Caverns; Kickapoo Caverns; Lake Bob Sandlin; Lake Brownwood; Lake Mineral Wells; Lake Somerville Birch Creek and Nails Creek; Lake Whitney; Lost Maples; Martin Dies Jr., Possum Kingdom; Purtis Creek; Resaca de la Palma; San Angelo; Sea Rim; Seminole Canyon; South Llano and Tony Houseman.
To minimize conflicts between park user groups, public hunts are offered during off-peak visitation periods, typically on weekdays in the winter months. A number of youth hunts are scheduled during school holidays. During these events, signs are posted at parks alerting visitors that a hunt is in progress. The public is urged to contact the park or check the hunting calendar posted online before heading out during hunting season.
Applications for special drawing hunts to be conducted on state parks, wildlife management areas and other TPWD-managed properties during the 2009-2010 season will be available in early July from TPWD headquarters and field offices, and posted on the TPWD Web site. Each hunts application fee ranges from $3 to $10 for adults and is free to youth, who must be accompanied by an adult hunter.
Deadlines to apply for TPWD public hunts are as follows:
Alligator, Youth Only Alligator August 5, 2009
Prong-horned Antelope August 12, 2009
Archery Deer, Archery Mule Deer, and Archery Exotic August 12, 2009
Private Lands Management Either Sex, Private Lands Antlerless/Spike- August 12, 2009
Gun Deer (Either-Sex, Antlerless/Spike, Youth Only Either Sex, Youth OnlyYouth Only Management), and Mule Deer September 3, 2009 Antlerless/Spike, Management Buck, and
Javelina, Youth Only Javelina and Guided Deer Hunt Packages October 6, 2009
Guided Gemsbok Hunt Packages and Exotic Only October 6, 2009
Guided Bighorn Sheep Hunt November 4, 2009
Feral Hog, Youth Only Exotic and Youth Only Feral Hog November 4, 2009
Youth Only Spring Turkey, Spring Turkey, and Guided Scimitar-Horned Oryx Hunt Package- November 4, 2009
Many parks will also provide hunting opportunities as part of the departments Annual Public Hunting Permit program, which offers purchasers of the $48 permit hunting access to more than one million acres throughout the state.
Among the hunting opportunities available to permit holders are leased small game-hunting units, primarily for dove. Many of these hunting sites are leased from private landowners within close proximity to major urban areas. The permit also provides access to hunting for other species, including deer, feral hogs, waterfowl and small game.
The $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit is available for the 2009-2010 seasons on Aug. 15. Permits can be purchased wherever hunting and fishing licenses are sold. Map booklets detailing public hunting units can be viewed on the departments Web site beginning August 15. Drawn hunt information can also be found on the departments Web site. Drawn Hunt booklets and web information will be available late June. For public hunting information or to request a free Drawn Hunt booklet, please call Wildlife Information at 800/792-1112, option 5 Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge is run and managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife services...check there website for full information.. thumb

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG FISH"

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni
Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8947158 05/19/13 01:43 AM
13MWZ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Well neither of the two I'm interested in are on the TPWD website. Sign had a phone number for hunting permits, I called it even though I don't want to hunt it. Just a pre-recording with no helpful info. Got the GW's number, I'll try to call tomorrow or stop by the TPWD on Monday and see if anybody there can help.

Thanks.

.`..`..`...><(((>
Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8952695 05/20/13 09:15 PM
4yu5kz Offline
Angler
Angler
Official Guide to
TEXAS
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS
by Larry D. Hodge
Published by
Texas Park And Wildlife Press,Austin texas
I( have found this publication a concise and accurate guide to all areas of the state.
Distributed by University of Texas Press /P.O. Box 7819,Austin texas 78713-7819

Re: Wildlife Management areas [Re: 13MWZ] #8953172 05/20/13 11:19 PM
13MWZ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I stopped by the TPWD here and spoke with a Game Warden. He told me the areas I'm talking about are not controlled by TPWD, but by the USACE. Hey said it's public land and no nothing is needed to access, hike, fish ect. Only hunting needs a permit. Then I called up the USACE to verify, and his info was correct.

Out of curiosity I asked the GW where the nearest TPWD ran Wildlife Management area was. It's in Limestone county so I didn't bother with one of their permits.

Thanks for yall's responses.

.`..`..`...><(((>
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide