Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,866
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930332 05/14/13 01:17 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Have some tournaments with a portion going to the cause.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930548 05/14/13 02:16 PM
G
G3bassbarge Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
As some of you have posted, I too am local law enforcement officer in the east Texas area and also run a guide service on Lake Fork. I have been the victim of these idiots coming in from the water stealing my property as well as others that are the same rv park. This is a seriously problem that needs addressing, not turning of a head like it doesn't exist!

I believe the sheriff is on the right track and give him all the support he needs.

I've donated my time and boat to the sheriffs office when it is needed. Hopefully it is never needed.

Side note....if any of you iidiots are caught on my dock and caught anywhere else I would imagine, you won't have to worry about the sheriffs office being called. One thing I've learned about Lake Fork folks, they like to handle things themselves!

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930739 05/14/13 03:07 PM
R
ron-ron Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I would think that would be the Game Warden's job. They don't just look out for fishing/boating violations. The RV parks and housing communities should start a crime watch with active patrols. Kudo's to the the sheriff for wanting to do this but I think everyone should do their part.

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930763 05/14/13 03:14 PM
bsouth401 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Law enforcement is generally reactive, meaning they respond to crimes already committed, collect the evidence, follow leads and put the case together for the prosecution. There are some nuances with rural counties that cause unique problems that are not easily solved. Geography, severely limited budgets, diverse demographics of the citizenry and the list goes on and on. Sheriff Brown is fully aware of these issues and is attempting to take a proactive approach to solving the issues of crime here in Wood County. He took office on January 1st and up to this point has exceeded my expectations in following through with what he campaigned on. He is without a doubt going to make some mistakes and possibly rub some people the wrong way, but he is putting himself out there and not following the status quo and I applaud him for that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning his approach or methods and he would encourage your input.

@ Easy Fisherman, What doesnt add up? Please enlighten me. The Sheriff wants to help us and is asking for support. It is not that hard to add up. His job is not to protect visitors rods & reels? I dont understand that comment either. I feel for your neighbor who had all of his rifles stolen from his truck at Lake Lydia. That shouldnt have happen but sadly it does. In the world we live in today [censored] happens. Its sad, but it is fact. Property owners have to take a proactive approach as well and secure their property responsibly, especially, firearms. Did he say he was going to suspend land patrols in lieu of lake patrols? No he didnt. A common misconception is that it is law enforcements responsibility to protect us and that is perpetuated by slogans such as Protect and Serve on the side of police cars. However, the primary responsibility for you, your family along with your property rest with you! Google Warren vs. DC, Castlerock vs.Gonzales. We are responsible and when law enforcement reaches out and asks us for help us achieve the desired goal, we should embrace it.

If you wish to help with money, ideas, donating, volunteering resources or time, simply give a thumbs up or pat on the back, please do so. If you only wish to complain and not offer support, you may want to re-think your position. My two cents.

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: Lil' Louie] #8930793 05/14/13 03:27 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Seems like there would be grants out there for this kinda thing... Maybe I'm wrong.

Only vehicle/boat grant programs i am aware of is through USDA

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930828 05/14/13 03:34 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
You know I've been thinking about this. Every time there is a property crime at Lake Fork, we get four to five pages of complaints. "The police aren't doing enough, we need to set up a sting, I'll gladly contribute to hire an off-duty sheriff to guard our stuff during tournaments, the marinas should pay for increased security", and on and on.

Now we have a Sheriff who is reaching out for the public's help. He doesn't have the budget and we, as either Wood County property owners or visitors, have the opportunity to put our money or time, where our mouths are.

I don't ever disclose my charitable giving, publicly. In this case, I'm going to make an exception in the hopes it will get some of you off dead center.

I just spoke to the Sheriff's assistant, Toni, and have pledged a donation of $500 for this very worthy cause. Please join me and give what you can.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930843 05/14/13 03:38 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I would think the insurance industry may be a good place to look for donations to help fund some proactive law enforcement tactics. I am sure they pay out greatly on theft claims in the Wood County area....

Last edited by Doug R.; 05/14/13 03:45 PM.

#MFGA
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: fouzman] #8930949 05/14/13 04:19 PM
S
Stonebriar Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
You know I've been thinking about this. Every time there is a property crime at Lake Fork, we get four to five pages of complaints. "The police aren't doing enough, we need to set up a sting, I'll gladly contribute to hire an off-duty sheriff to guard our stuff during tournaments, the marinas should pay for increased security", and on and on.

Now we have a Sheriff who is reaching out for the public's help. He doesn't have the budget and we, as either Wood County property owners or visitors, have the opportunity to put our money or time, where our mouths are.

I don't ever disclose my charitable giving, publicly. In this case, I'm going to make an exception in the hopes it will get some of you off dead center.

I just spoke to the Sheriff's assistant, Toni, and have pledged a donation of $500 for this very worthy cause. Please join me and give what you can.

I agree

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: fouzman] #8930950 05/14/13 04:19 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B

thumb
fouzman do you have the contact info?

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930951 05/14/13 04:20 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Someone mentioned looking through the DHS for grants. Surely someone in the Dept is a grant writer of some sort or can be sent to a class to learn how to do it. If we can get a box trailer through a Coserv grant that just sits in our parking lot and collects dust surely the Sheriff's Dept can get a boat. It appears from some of the questions being asked that the idea of the S.O. having a Deputy or three out on the lake stopping boats and doing checks doesn't sit right with some folks. They dang sure do it on Lewisville, but that is def needed. Not sure how much of a drinking/boating problem there is on Fork but I betcha they will def be stopping folks and checking them. I just think a grant is the way to go but asking for money isn't a bad thing. As it is though, most folks only want the police around when they need em....

[Linked Image]

PB 12.88lbs, Lake Fork 3-17-2013 8:45 a.m.

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930960 05/14/13 04:21 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Toni Cole @ (903) 763-2201

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8930965 05/14/13 04:23 PM
B
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Extra stops are a hassle but gets the word out about them being on the lake too

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: fouzman] #8930972 05/14/13 04:25 PM
B
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Toni Cole @ (903) 763-2201

K thanks waiting on phone to charge a lil and ill be making mine.

Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: bsouth401] #8931094 05/14/13 04:56 PM
Friend2thefatherless Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Know what is funny we spend hundreds if not thousands on fishing tackle that sits and does nothing yet when someone actually steps up and wants to see and take ACTION...We bash the dude for even asking!!!! Sending my money today!!! Thank you for being proactive sir!!!!

Last edited by Friend2thefatherless; 05/14/13 05:00 PM.

Taking fatherless boys outdoors fishing every month at no cost to them
http://www.compassadventures.org
Re: The Wood County Sheriff's Office Needs Your Help (Lake Fork Area) [Re: Lil' Louie] #8931316 05/14/13 05:38 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Someone mentioned looking through the DHS for grants. Surely someone in the Dept is a grant writer of some sort or can be sent to a class to learn how to do it. If we can get a box trailer through a Coserv grant that just sits in our parking lot and collects dust surely the Sheriff's Dept can get a boat. It appears from some of the questions being asked that the idea of the S.O. having a Deputy or three out on the lake stopping boats and doing checks doesn't sit right with some folks. They dang sure do it on Lewisville, but that is def needed. Not sure how much of a drinking/boating problem there is on Fork but I betcha they will def be stopping folks and checking them. I just think a grant is the way to go but asking for money isn't a bad thing. As it is though, most folks only want the police around when they need em....

Grants are "our" money anyway, it's not like "they" have a grant money tree. And grant writing isn't rocket science.

A lot more direct and faster to just collect donations.

#MFGA
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide