Page 1 of 2 1 2
GoPro users?? #8917913 05/10/13 01:24 PM
G
GrassProShop Jim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
I'm considering getting a GoPro to use while fishing. Any folks here on TFF using them? Likes, dislikes about them, and perhaps versus other means of videoing your fishing expeditions?

How are you using it? Are you mounting to the windshield or your seat post? Anybody using it with the headstrap and wearing it that way?

In addition to fishing with a partner (who also videos), I have a kayak and could use something like this for when I'm out alone on my kayak.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Jim

"Hoping to catch a double digit!"
Personal Best LMB - 8.35 pounds - Caught at Lake Picachos Mexico in 2020

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8917932 05/10/13 01:32 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I've got one mount on my cowling and one on a low seat pedestal. You can mount it on your windshield but you have to use the suction cup mount for that and its extra $$$. I would strongly recommend buying an extra battery or the extended battery backpack right off the bat, because if you have a 32 gig card or bigger, you will only fill it about half way full before your battery dies. I usually get right around 2- 2.5 hours out of one battery with.

Also its by far the best camera I've used to record fishing. Super easy to use, Great video quality and terrific features.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8917967 05/10/13 01:39 PM
W
Weatherford Bass Lover Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I got one for Christmas and have used it a couple of times. I have a couple of words of praise and a couple of gripes.

The picture quality is outstanding. I also love having the ability to mount it to my head and get great footage hands-free.

I'm using the headstrap, and I don't find it uncomfortable. With the headstrap you can get footage in whatever direction you're looking, so I think that works better for fishing than a fixed mount since you are casting different sides of the boat and may miss some action if you have a fixed mount. It's in a waterproof case on the headstrap so there are no concerns about H20. (Don't know if if floats, though!)

However, I hate the battery. I charged my GoPro Hero 3 Black overnight and it had about 20 minutes of battery life the next day. I think the battery was a dud, so I bought another battery and charged it overnight before my most recent fishing trip and it had one bar on the battery indicator (out of 3) when I headed out for the lake the next morning. After that I charged it all day and it looks like it finally has a full charge.

Also, the unit only has two buttons so the controls take some getting used to. (If you have a smartphone it has an app that connects to the phone via wifi and it's easier to control it that way).

I've only had it out a handful of times, so I'm going to get more familiar with it before I dog it too much, but this has been my experience. I will say I have gotten some pretty good footage with it.

In short, to get the most out of it I'd buy two batteries and try and keep them both charged. Also, buy a large memory card and make sure it's class 10 speed.

Hope this was useful.

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: Weatherford Bass Lover] #8917997 05/10/13 01:53 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Weatherford Bass Lover
I got one for Christmas and have used it a couple of times. I have a couple of words of praise and a couple of gripes.

The picture quality is outstanding. I also love having the ability to mount it to my head and get great footage hands-free.

I'm using the headstrap, and I don't find it uncomfortable. With the headstrap you can get footage in whatever direction you're looking, so I think that works better for fishing than a fixed mount since you are casting different sides of the boat and may miss some action if you have a fixed mount. It's in a waterproof case on the headstrap so there are no concerns about H20. (Don't know if if floats, though!)

However, I hate the battery. I charged my GoPro Hero 3 Black overnight and it had about 20 minutes of battery life the next day. I think the battery was a dud, so I bought another battery and charged it overnight before my most recent fishing trip and it had one bar on the battery indicator (out of 3) when I headed out for the lake the next morning. After that I charged it all day and it looks like it finally has a full charge.

Also, the unit only has two buttons so the controls take some getting used to. (If you have a smartphone it has an app that connects to the phone via wifi and it's easier to control it that way).

I've only had it out a handful of times, so I'm going to get more familiar with it before I dog it too much, but this has been my experience. I will say I have gotten some pretty good footage with it.

In short, to get the most out of it I'd buy two batteries and try and keep them both charged. Also, buy a large memory card and make sure it's class 10 speed.

Hope this was useful.

I have a HD Hero2, so it doesnt have built in wifi, but Thats interesting. I would assume because it has built in wifi it drains the battery very fast. I will say, the standby time of the gopro is TERRIBLE. If I charge it then wait a couple days, even without ever powering it on until I start filming, the battery life will be much, much less.

And as far as missing action from a fixed mount, are you in a boat or bank fishing? I can mount that thing right next to me and still catch all the action because it has such a high viewing angle.

Last edited by Fishinfellow; 05/10/13 01:54 PM.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8918095 05/10/13 02:20 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
you want enough batteries and life to film all day for 12 hours.

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: Fishinfellow] #8918099 05/10/13 02:21 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Also its by far the best camera I've used to record fishing. Super easy to use, Great video quality and terrific features.

what is your YouTube link? I would love to see your videos.

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8918337 05/10/13 03:29 PM
J
jfdawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
As mentioned..

Battery life is an issue.

I bought the GP3 Black which includes WIRELESS and a keyfob to start/stop. My thinking was start the video as soon as I get a bite and only record 1 fish at a time. What I've found is that the WIRELESS sucks battery life quickly. It's best to just turn wireless off and just record 2 hours of fishing.

It's doesn't come with any video editing Software so if you have a Windows PC, MovieMaker works ok. If you have a Mac, you'd be set with iMovie ( much better App )

As for mounts, I bought the suction cup to mount on the cowling, but it left some small scratches when I removed it, so I'm now using the Windshield. The Black edition includes a few Mount Thingy's that uses 3M tape, but that's a permanent attachment.

As for other uses.. it's incredibly handy to record my son's Baseball and Soccer games. I use the wireless to start/Stop when he's up to bat and collecting a montage of video's of the season to save for later.

Video quality is Excellent. the Black supports 1080p! If you've had a regular HD video camera before, just know that the GoPro doesn't have ZOOM, so you only record the POV from where it's mounted.

All in all, very happy with it!

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8918368 05/10/13 03:33 PM
M
MESU Bait Company Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
My solution to the battery issue is to plug it into my powered usb port on the radio. This required drilling an extra hole in the gopro case so you lose the waterproof aspect.
With two large SD cards, I've videoed almost 10 hours on the water in a day.

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: MESU Bait Company] #8918482 05/10/13 03:55 PM
G
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
Thanks folks!! Good info all...!!

So, a few follow up questions:

1. How is sound? I'm assuming not much, if any, wind noise??
2. I'm considering either a new Black GoPro3, or a used GoPro2 that the current owner bought extra accessories such as a remote, an extra battery, suction cup mounting, floaty back door (Not sure what this is??), and a high speed SD card.

I know the new Black Hero 3's are $399. I can pick up the slightly used Hero 2 Outdoor with extra accessories listed above for around $275. I don't know all of the differences between the Hero 2 and Hero 3. Any additional comments or input regarding this is appreciated. I could save at least $125.00, but if the current model Hero 3 Black is better, perhaps worth the extra $$$.

Thanks again!

Jim

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8918520 05/10/13 04:04 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by GrassProShop Jim
1. How is sound? I'm assuming not much, if any, wind noise??

You are going to pick up wind noise with any camera if you are creating a bunch of wind (moving) or it is really windy day. There are several DIY ways to reduce it though you can search. here is GoPro wind noise at 100 mph. smile

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8918525 05/10/13 04:05 PM
J.Chambers Offline
Angler
Angler
i highly advise it. its awesome and takes very good quality video

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: J.Chambers] #8918539 05/10/13 04:08 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: GripNrip
i highly advise it. its awesome and takes very good quality video

do you have links to your videos yet? you should put on YouTube, not Facebook.

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: Rob Lay] #8918566 05/10/13 04:16 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Rob Lay
Originally Posted by Fishinfellow

what is your YouTube link? I would love to see your videos.

If you'll excuse the music, this is my main video, my others are just bland, or clips from the first week I had my camera. I've got a bunch more footage, just gotta get some big ones on film.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: GoPro users?? [Re: GrassProShop Jim] #8918691 05/10/13 04:56 PM
W
Weatherford Bass Lover Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Some feature differences: to use the smartphone app to control the gopro unit requires the extra wifi bacpac if you get the hero 2. The capability is already built-in to the Hero 3. Hero3 has some additional filming modes (but for the average user those modes may not be needed).

For my money, I'd rather get the Hero3 Silver new for $299 than a used Hero2 for $275.

Extra battery is $20. Head strap is $15.

Re: GoPro users?? [Re: Weatherford Bass Lover] #8918894 05/10/13 05:59 PM
G
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Weatherford Bass Lover
Some feature differences: to use the smartphone app to control the gopro unit requires the extra wifi bacpac if you get the hero 2. The capability is already built-in to the Hero 3. Hero3 has some additional filming modes (but for the average user those modes may not be needed).

For my money, I'd rather get the Hero3 Silver new for $299 than a used Hero2 for $275.

Extra battery is $20. Head strap is $15.

Thanks for that. What about the remote? I know that does not come with some of the lesser models. The used one in question has a remote, as well as other extras.

Thanks

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide